Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^The Spurs could move the entire roster if they wanted - yes - even Scrubinelli. The question isn't tradeability but desire and what the pieces could net in return.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    listening to NBA radio earlier, Justin Termine went off on the Spurs. First for the horrible Kwahi trade (giving away Kwahi and Green) and not getting anything of value in return. Then for somewhat blowing this Bertans trade. Says the Spurs are getting away on reputation, but have had 2 horrible summers now.
    What a lazy take.

Also, F Morris and F Uncle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People doesn't know what they're talking about when they speak about signing an allstar caliber player on the free agency after blowing everything up.

The big three is retired, Pop retires, Bufford is no longer the GM, playoff streak and winning seasons end up, Spurs culture is gone.

Why should a decent free agent sign for the San Antonio Spurs when the few things that made this franchise attractive for decades are gone? What will be the difference between us and, let's say, the Memphis Grizzlies or the Cleveland Cavaliers?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You and I both know it's not insane. Come on.

No one gives a about a guy like Gordon in comparison to a legit franchise player. DeRozan just turned 30 a few months ago. That Gordon is 24 means nothing. I get getting a guy in his first or second year and considering him a piece. But I'd want no part in getting borderline busts from other teams hoping they stop being bad. The team already has "young veterans" who should still be here after the tank is in full swing. A first is way better, but if you don't understand why the Spurs would be focused on anything besides the future, I don't know what to tell you.

We both know he's better than all of those guys. He helps more than them. No reason to keep spinning off on hyperbole.

They traded him for two or three years, not forever. Contracts are ephemeral. You don't have to "get something" for every guy who leaves. Guys can sign contracts, play them out and then go their separate ways without it being a big deal. Sure, I am not against moving DeRozan, especially if he wants to leave. But he's on the team for what he does now, not for what he would get in a trade later. I also don't see how Kawhi has anything to do with it at this point. He's gone. Let it go. No one here thought it was a good trade. There aren't extra points to be had for continuing to hammer the point home so long after the fact.

They're better. They're PLAYING worse for sure, but they are more talented and have much higher upside.

It's not. Coaching matters, and the Spurs more than most rosters needed really adroit direction, and they didn't get it. Before Murray got hurt, the Spurs had a specific plan to make their lack of spacing work. We don't know how it would have fared, but they needed to build on it this off-season and couldn't. They needed to work on their defensive rotations (especially now that Messina is gone), and they didn't. No one is denying the personnel problems, but they'd be solidly in the top-eight in the conference records right now with better coaching.
    Did you just call DeRozan "a legit franchise player"? Gordon isn't a bust or bad. He's a solid, if erratic player, with delusions of grandeur. He's also a scarce, valuable archetype. He could help now and in the future, which fits with what they're trying to do anyway.

He's not. Paul is still clearly better and Gallinari arguably is too and is more valuable. As a net negative player, it's less about that and more about fit though. If it were a real star we were talking about, it'd be different.

S bag wasn't "every guy", he was and is a top 5ish player. There are extra points to be earned for trying to salvage as much value as possible.

They're clearly worse. Even if they are marginally more talented (which is debatable), the fit is so much worse that it supersedes that.

Coaching, x's and o's wise, is largely irrelevant in this genized era. Why are you pretending as if you have inside knowledge of what they were thinking? There is no "plan" to make a lineup with 1.5 3-point shooters work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And again, this hinges on the teams play. If there is not a dramatic turn around and improvement and no reason given to extend Derozan and build around him you should absolutely trade him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coaching, x's and o's wise, is largely irrelevant in this genized era.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nurse is the latest great white hope fraud coach that's cozied up to media big wigs, who reciprocate by attempting to brainwash the masses into thinking he's some genius because he's doing look at me , like running grade school defenses.

The real reason for their "success", is because S bag intentionally destroyed his value, the Spurs front office went senile, the Warriors were decimated by injury and they fell ass backwards into a roster loaded with athleticism and 3 and D players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you just call DeRozan "a legit franchise player"? Gordon isn't a bust or bad. He's a solid, if erratic player, with delusions of grandeur. He's also a scarce, valuable archetype. He could help now and in the future, which fits with what they're trying to do anyway.

He's not. Paul is still clearly better and Gallinari arguably is too and is more valuable. As a net negative player, it's less about that and more about fit though. If it were a real star we were talking about, it'd be different.

S bag wasn't "every guy", he was and is a top 5ish player. There are extra points to be earned for trying to salvage as much value as possible.

They're clearly worse. Even if they are marginally more talented (which is debatable), the fit is so much worse that it supersedes that.

Coaching, x's and o's wise, is largely irrelevant in this genized era. Why are you pretending as if you have inside knowledge of what they were thinking? There is no "plan" to make a lineup with 1.5 3-point shooters work.
    Agreed have been saying this for a while. Lebron definitely proved your point in 2016 when he won with Coach Lue.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real reason for their "success", is because S bag intentionally destroyed his value, the Spurs front office went senile, the Warriors were decimated by injury and they fell ass backwards into a roster loaded with athleticism and 3 and D players.
    You can argue the other points, but here you are just drunk off your ass. Masai knows what he is doing, that much is clear.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you just call DeRozan "a legit franchise player"?
    No. Come on man, it wasn't that hard to get given what you originally wrote. If the Spurs draft a franchise player, it's not going to matter whether they have Gordon or not. He's a non-factor to a rebuilding foundation.

Neither one of those guys is healthy enough to replace DeRozan, and Paul is a worse bet even if you believe he's a better player. Paul definitely isn't a better fit, and there's no point in making a trade for Gallo now if the goal isn't to pair him with Aldridge and DeRozan. If the guards were playing consistently good ball, then I could understand taking a hit in talent for better fit. But they aren't.

No, there aren't more points to be earned. This is where you go from very good but somewhat too pessimistic poster to edgelord. Kawhi's gone. We all know that at this point. Most of us hold a certain bitterness toward Kawhi leaving just like we do toward the .4 shot or choking away the le in 2013. It sucks, and it's gonna always be a sore spot. But it's over. They only traded him once. What happens from here with those pieces is irrelevant to him.

The fit is only different in that Murray has a spot again. Forbes/White/DeRozan/Gay/Aldridge fits well enough, and the bench definitely has the pieces to fit well but needs to stick with Walker and gel. It's definitely not debatable that they have more talent, as they are the same team except with more talented players instead of Cun and Pon.

I'm not pretending anything. I've never claimed that I knew of some plan to fix spacing besides what they were saying before last pre-season. Pop wanted to spread the court by having Murray push the ball. I don't know that it would have worked, but they don't seem to be doing that this time around. I don't disagree at all about the need for shooters on the court. They should have three at a minimum. And at best, Aldridge and DeRozan shooting more threes only counts as one shooter combined. I do think this current starting unit works, spacing-wise. They just have to gel. The same is true for the defense. They won't be great without better forward defenders. But they can be average with the players they have, just like they were last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol standing pat cause the West is bad and you think 2 fluke wins against the Rockets and Kings means the season turned around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still not the 15th yet... There is hope. Futile as it may be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank God they lost to Cleveland. It was about to be another fools gold win against another lottery team. Sadly, I still don’t see them making moves like they should.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly I just think it's a huge mistake to hold on to derozan. His game is bad for the team and he's mentally weak (crumbles in crunch time and when he doesn't get calls). I don't want Lonnie, White and Murray picking up any bad habits from this man. It's bad enough that they have to pass him the ball in crunch time or his ego will shatter.
    Same , different day tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8th place still in sight,spurs&pop are content

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And again, this hinges on the teams play. If there is not a dramatic turn around and improvement and no reason given to extend Derozan and build around him you should absolutely trade him.
    I honestly don't think the record or team play matter. DeRozan should be traded regardless of whatever cir stances happen to play out. Even if the Spurs go on a ten game winning streak, DeRozan will still not be worthy of a near max contract and can not be a major piece on a championship level team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly don't think the record or team play matter. DeRozan should be traded regardless of whatever cir stances happen to play out. Even if the Spurs go on a ten game winning streak, DeRozan will still not be worthy of a near max contract and can not be a major piece on a championship level team.
    I agree. I was just explaining the other side of the argument I could find reasonable. But to me, there is nothing that could happen that should change SAs mind about moving on from Derozan and probably LMA too. No result the least of which eeking into the playoffs despite being a average to below average team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine how toxic this can get when you have Murray, White and Lonnie watching Beli/Forbes/Mills get minutes while losing. They aren’t in a winning environment and they aren’t behind good players.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People doesn't know what they're talking about when they speak about signing an allstar caliber player on the free agency after blowing everything up.

The big three is retired, Pop retires, Bufford is no longer the GM, playoff streak and winning seasons end up, Spurs culture is gone.

Why should a decent free agent sign for the San Antonio Spurs when the few things that made this franchise attractive for decades are gone? What will be the difference between us and, let's say, the Memphis Grizzlies or the Cleveland Cavaliers?
    The fact that the Grizzlies and Cavs are still better than the Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine how toxic this can get when you have Murray, White and Lonnie watching Beli/Forbes/Mills get minutes while losing. They aren’t in a winning environment and they aren’t behind good players.
    That kind of is why Pop needs to be turned out to pasture before he can make any more personnel moves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we are trading DeRozan , wouldn't it make sense to play him with his players?

Maybe DeRozan just looks better with worse defensive players (under the don't have a hotter wingman at the bar type things).

Maybe DeRozan gets ancy when young guys outplay him?

It's like that movie, the Truman show but built around demarr DeRozan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would anybody trust this garbage front office with any trades? The last two trades they've completed featured RC (or whatever the puppet GM's name is) getting absolutely bent over by the opposing GM....

They're much, much more likely to trade away Lonnie/White/Dejounte than losers like Derozan and Lamarcus.

If Pop had everything he wanted going forward, Bryn Forbes would be the franchise player on the roster

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That kind of is why Pop needs to be turned out to pasture before he can make any more personnel moves.
    Exactly. And then there are people that say he should just move to the front office. no! Everyone is too scared of him. He needs to be moved as far away from this team as possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dreaming here, but the celtics need a big man and they have picks that the spurs could use.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the Celtics are falling in the standings the pick they own is the Memphis pick which I believe is protected in top 6 picks in 2020 but not protected in 2021. I think trading them LMA would be a perfect fit to push them into real contenders. The only issue is who do we take from them to match salaries?

Thread Information