Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge is undoubtedly the best player on the team when engaged, and the team should try to get him there as much as possible. The issue is that they build way too much of their offense of LMA isos and very little on plays that put him in good position for quick scores. If you did that, then his isos would have more weight, since he'd already be in rhythm. Even with all that, Pop still doesn't tend to force it to Aldridge if other people did the comeback. He's the third option behind DMDR and Gay (and maybe even Mills) unless he's already on fire.
    Yes. This guy gets it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is obvious from watching the lack of execution/concentration/dedication/intensity/passion of the players on the floor that the situation is already bad for the players. Pop has absolutely lost them.

Once lost, a compe ive/winning culture, indeed, is extremely hard to restore. But their at ude shows that culture is already dissipating quickly. We already have Sacramento/Minnesota . While I do not advocate tanking, I believe that there is another alternative. I think the Spurs can get enough return on Dumbmar and LMA to win-build, as DPG21920 calls it.
    Yes this team can be better with a trade.

DDR for Gordon/Bamba
    Murray/Gay/LMA/1st Rd Pick for LaVine/OPJ

White/LaVine/OPJ/Gordon/Poeltl is a better SL than anything you can do with this current roster. That SL makes the playoffs, has length, can defend, and hit the 3.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is obvious from your comment that you have clearly never played or coached at any level
    That's clearly not the case. I have yet to see anyone who's ever play organize basketball say yeah I hate the coach for trying to win. What fans want and what athletes who like to compete want are two different things. You think if you ask any of the young guys if they want to go into every game knowing they have no chance of competing. I can guarantee the answer would be no. Like I said tanking works for fans and media folks but no one with a compe ive spirit wants to purposely suck.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it doesn't there's a reason why those players besides Porter hasn't made the playoffs in their careers. I know you're going to say "but they played for bad organizations" however that would be ironic because according to most of y'all this is a bad organization so what makes you think those career losers would be any better here. I don't think you dudes realize that Lamarcus has only missed the Playoffs twice in his career for "career loser" that's not bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's clearly not the case. I have yet to see anyone who's ever play organize basketball say yeah I hate the coach for trying to win. What fans want and what athletes who like to compete want are two different things. You think if you ask any of the young guys if they want to go into every game knowing they have no chance of competing. I can guarantee the answer would be no. Like I said tanking works for fans and media folks but no one with a compe ive spirit wants to purposely suck.
    lol. Who said that they hate the coach for trying to win? I said the FO is picking pop over the franchise, the players and the fans. Big difference.

For those of us that have played, we know that there are tons of coaches out there trying their very best to win but still produce a losing product. Players on those teams don’t hate the coach for trying to win, they dislike the losing and the toxic environment that ultimately manifests from losing. If you’ve played then you’d know that.

WRT the spurs, you have a coach that is trying to win but absolutely is not producing a winning product. Therefore the FO is picking pop over the franchise, the players and the fans

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol. Who said that they hate the coach for trying to win? I said the FO is picking pop over the franchise, the players and the fans. Big difference.

For those of us that have played, we know that there are tons of coaches out there trying their very best to win but still produce a losing product. Players on those teams don’t hate the coach for trying to win, they dislike the losing and the toxic environment that ultimately manifests from losing. If you’ve played then you’d know that.

WRT the spurs, you have a coach that is trying to win but absolutely is not producing a winning product. Therefore the FO is picking pop over the franchise, the players and the fans
    Ok this sounds more reasonable and I can some what agree with this I'm just speaking as an athlete myself I would never fault my track coach for trying to win because I would never throw a race no matter how bad my team was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it doesn't there's a reason why those players besides Porter hasn't made the playoffs in their careers. I know you're going to say "but they played for bad organizations" however that would be ironic because according to most of y'all this is a bad organization so what makes you think those career losers would be any better here. I don't think you dudes realize that Lamarcus has only missed the Playoffs twice in his career for "career loser" that's not bad.
    DDR/LMA or LaVine/OPJ/Gordon? Who would you rather have right now? Not 10yrs ago but right now.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR/LMA or LaVine/OPJ/Gordon? Who would you rather have right now? Not 10yrs ago but right now.
    I'd take Gordon and Fournier for DeMar right now but I want t no parts of Levine or Porter. Lavine is everything people claim they hate about DeRozan and Aldridge. I'd trade DeMar for Gordon straight up right now because I think it improves the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok this sounds more reasonable and I can some what agree with this I'm just speaking as an athlete myself I would never fault my track coach for trying to win because I would never throw a race no matter how bad my team was.
    Ok. Understand your point now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are exactly right. It's obvious from your comments that you have played some kind of seriously compe ive ball. The locker room of a noncompe ive loser is a sad and sorry place to be, especially for the younger players.

It also sours the younger players, against the team. They'll want out. They won't want to stay when contract time comes.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are exactly right. It's obvious from your comments that you have played some kind of seriously compe ive ball. The locker room of a noncompe ive loser is a sad and sorry place to be, especially for the younger players.
    It also sours the younger players, against the team. They'll want out. They won't want to stay when contract time comes.
    \

Ok so tell me what sport have you played where everyone was happy with the coach or the team purposely trying to lose? Answer this for me. Like I said I've ran track my entire life and I never once have been told try to lose because we're not good enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    \

Ok so tell me what sport have you played where everyone was happy with the coach or the team purposely trying to lose? Answer this for me. ...
    Never seen it, never heard of it. Never happens, in real life. Maybe it could happen in some screwball comedy movie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd take Gordon and Fournier for DeMar right now but I want t no parts of Levine or Porter. Lavine is everything people claim they hate about DeRozan and Aldridge. I'd trade DeMar for Gordon straight up right now because I think it improves the team.
    No part of Porter, agreed. Way overpriced now, and he's hurt. Out at least another month with a foot injury. Pass.

One thing about LaVine is that he's young, at least, at 24. Maybe still coachable in a way DDR is not. But that's speculation. I like his scoring ability.

About DDR for Gordon, there's the basic matter of points. DDR scores 21, and Gordon 14. The team will not be better unless those points can be found.

Trading for players who score less, on a team with a losing record now, is not a promising approach. With the defensive problems, points production is all the team has going for it. Gotta be careful about that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw one rumor earlier today that proposed Demar for Dion waiters, James Johnson, and a 1st round pick. Now Demar s the bed daily but damn that’s a gross ass trade for SA and those are kinda deals most likely being offered for Demar or Aldridge
    Only reason you say no to that is the length of the contract. If those were 1 year deals you do that in a hearbeat...you tell dion to take the rest of the year off...maybe you let johnson play some minutes...but you get that 1st round pick even though it looks like it will be in the low 20's...because that is where the spurs have spent two decades drafting anyway so they should feel comfortable finding at least a future rotational player there

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big, young, athletic, versatile forwards, who aren't making exorbitant amounts, have value.

A lot of people should care about his contract. It's that bad. I also don't see how one can argue getting another ball-dominant guard who would be more useless on defense is better. Like sure, he can defend smalls better than DeMar can. But he better not be better at it than Murray and White, and if that's true, then DeMar being able to play at forward is more important, even for the defense.
    Sure, but if it doesn't functionally change anything, what's the difference? He's less ball dominant than he was, better with and without it than DeRozan and even a better wing defender. Also, in my trade proposal, I had the Spurs receiving Ferguson as well, who'd play as the nominal "SF".

I'm not even a little fixated on Leonard though. That's kinda the point. You argued he was a consideration in the motivation to get value back for DeRozan. I don't think he is. Gordon, I'm only arguing because no one has brought up anyone else. The main point is that I don't see a point in trading DeRozan or Aldridge for present value.
    A secondary one. I've given ample reason why DeRozan should be traded independent of that, but you're too concerned with arguing semantics and minutia.

It's insane that you want to continue to watch this sinking ship go down, as opposed to salvaging whatever value they can at least for the most ill-fitting piece of all, who could conceivably walk for nothing at the end of the season.

Yes, the team is playing worse. We keep on agreeing on that. But they aren't actually a worse team. They are underperforming. Coaching.

DAF will never let me forget Bertans' stats, so I know them. But the point remains that his production as a Spur isn't what is hurting the club right now. Even if he were a secret superstar, the bit role that Pop (stupidly?) laid out for him wasn't determining the team's fate.
    There's no evidence that they're underperforming and even if they are, it's not in marked fashion. Even if they somehow manage to eek in to the playoffs, it'll only be to get emasculated by an L.A. team (with their luck, probably S bag's).

Not singlehandedly, but Bertans played a big part. A team this horribly constructed can't afford for much to go wrong (we saw it last season when Gay or White missed a game), so even something that might on the surface seem as relatively innocuous as going from Bertans to Lyles, was always going to be magnified. So was introducing another non shooter back into the rotation and slight collective regression from the veterans.

Yes, they've played like . They're having games where they are missing easy passes, ing up defensive rotations and clanking free throws. That's not because the roster lacks folks who can shoot a ball into a hoop from the line or who can run to a designated spot or who can toss a ball several feet. It's because all or most of the players don't seem to have their heads in the games, especially for the first 30 or so minutes. It's definitely not a case where the players themselves are blameless. They need to play better. The point is they physically CAN play better and aren't, and that's a coaching issue. I said this last year when they were terrible going into December, and folks (probably you among them) argued that it wasn't fixable given their personnel. But they put it together, became an average defense and made a run. This squad dug a way deeper hole, but not only is the bottom half of the Western bracket still within reach, but they have a way higher ceiling this year. Seriously, had they just held on against Cleveland, they'd be tied for the seventh seed right now.

For a team trying to win a le, being seventh and having a losing record wouldn't be anything to smile about. But if the goal is to continue to streak and keep the young players in a compe ive environment, then being in a playoff spot after playing about as badly as possible to start the season would be something to build on.
    Yeah and the reason they don't seem to have their heads in the game, is because they've clearly reached the conclusion that this team sucks and are waiting for it to be broken up. This is a staple of veteran teams in this situation.

There is no putting it together because of the 3 things I mentioned above, plus some of the bad teams in the West being slightly better. They weren't that far from them to begin with.

Uh, they just played 4 consecutive overtime games and won 3, 2 of which on miracle late comebacks. They just as easily could have lost 3, so I don't want to hear about the Cavaliers game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't mind the Spurs trading for JJ Re . Something like Marco and Bryn for Re works. New Orleans isn't going anywhere and I've heard they might be willing to part with Re .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't mind the Spurs trading for JJ Re . Something like Marco and Bryn for Re works. New Orleans isn't going anywhere and I've heard they might be willing to part with Re .
    It would take so much more than that my friend..

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw one rumor earlier today that proposed Demar for Dion waiters, James Johnson, and a 1st round pick. Now Demar s the bed daily but damn that’s a gross ass trade for SA and those are kinda deals most likely being offered for Demar or Aldridge
    I'd let him walk for nothing before taking pick #28, a cancer, and a scrub like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd let him walk for nothing before taking pick #28, a cancer, and a scrub like that.
    The Spurs best trade opportunity might be our old friend CapSpace.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs best trade opportunity might be our old friend CapSpace.
    DeRozan is the capspace though (assuming he's opting out for a long term deal).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For JJ? “So much more?” What do you think it would take?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know know about "so much" more. Probably a pick. A second round at that. He's not worth a first. They wanna clear cap as far as I'm concerned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know know about "so much" more. Probably a pick. A second round at that. He's not worth a first. They wanna clear cap as far as I'm concerned.
    Plenty of teams would give a 1st for Re . Beli, Forbes, and a 2nd rounder isn't getting it done

Thread Information