Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to Kevin O’Connor

Will other teams on the bubble follow OKC’s lead? It’s hard to say. The
    San Antonio Spurs could get a hefty return for LaMarcus Aldridge or Rudy Gay if they choose to abort this season; DeMar DeRozan could also have appeal for a team in need of scoring. It’s unlikely that the Spurs would pull the plug, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well they could still make the playoffs, but they should make at least 1 move to add another rotation player. Marvin Williams, Robert Covington and Gallinari should be on the market

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go Mediocrity Go!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Btw what is this Kevin Oc'Conners cred?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's guessing of course, but it surely makes sense not to tank while there's a realistic chance to make the playoffs. They have a business to run and have to make a profit. Easier for us fans to have a championship or bust at ude but that's very far away from reality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs don’t tank anyways. It’s not in their DNA tbh. This article doesn’t tell us anything new. There’s not going to be a fire sale or any of that bull . We’re 1 game out if the 7th seed right now... but that doesn’t mean we can’t better our team through a trade if it presents itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, there goes my slight hint of hope. Makes sense then that LW4 is getting so little playing time; Pop actually thinks the vets need to figure it out on the floor. Hope we get the 9-10th place so the FO can finally wake up to reality... A playoff berth might be enough to delude the Spurs into a DeMar extension, which is inarguably the bleakest of outcomes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do people really care if they tank now, next year or what? I feel the tank is comin no matter what moves they make. This team can try, but won't make the playoffs thanks to the hard schedule. Odds are that two close wins were just a fluke and San Antonio will resume losing plentifully.

Once they do miss a playoffs, the "we don't tank" is trash. Every tank team starts the season expecting to compete, then pulling the plug.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's guessing of course, but it surely makes sense not to tank while there's a realistic chance to make the playoffs. They have a business to run and have to make a profit. Easier for us fans to have a championship or bust at ude but that's very far away from reality.
    But if they have a business to run, it can’t just be about one year. Is making the revenue for one round of playoffs worth losing DeRozan for nothing (if he opts out and walks) when you need as much draft capital as possible?

Is eking into the playoff while having a possible losing record really going to sell tickets or just piss fans off even more?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs don’t tank anyways. It’s not in their DNA tbh. This article doesn’t tell us anything new. There’s not going to be a fire sale or any of that bull . We’re 1 game out if the 7th seed right now... but that doesn’t mean we can’t better our team through a trade if it presents itself.

Why do people keep spouting this? SA has a losing record and is just as close to the 13th spot in the West as they are to the playoffs. Being close to the7th seed does not equal good.

SA has to the deadline to decide, but if they don’t see a DRASTIC turn around in their play, whether or not they are in the playoff hunt still, they have to do something.

They cant afford to lose assets like DeRozan for nothing just for the chance to eek into the PO and get knocked out in RD1. They need draft capital and as much of it as they can get.

Now, if the lightbulb clicks for DeRozan from 3PT land, Lonnie/White/Murray bust out and they start playing 60% winning ball? Ok, that’s another story. But they can’t keep on this same trajectory.

Win building was fine when you are firmly playing good basketball and in the playoffs. It’s good for young players to learn while winning and having vets take pressure off of them. But when you are losing? It’s doing nothing but preventing growth and development. And if you aren’t extending DeRozan, he’s gone anyway next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make the playoffs now just for the record. Tough rebuilds will be (especially for us spoiled fans) so let it wait a year anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make the playoffs now just for the record. Tough rebuilds will be (especially for us spoiled fans) so let it wait a year anyway.
    Honest question Bill - you’ve seen the importance of the draft for all teams. Now factor in how well SA drafts and how it’s a small market that doesn’t draw free agents that well, do you feel like having that PO record is worth it more than the possibility to draft the next franchise player along with another Murray/White/Lonnie caliber player?

Because we know rebuilds are tough so wouldn’t that lend itself to the logic of giving yourself as much opportunity via the draft as possible?

Because if you don’t trade DeRozan for a pick(s) this season, you’ve 99% lost your chance to do so.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do people keep spouting this? SA has a losing record and is just as close to the 13th spot in the West as they are to the playoffs. Being close to the7th seed does not equal good.

SA has to the deadline to decide, but if they don’t see a DRASTIC turn around in their play, whether or not they are in the playoff hunt still, they have to do something.

They cant afford to lose assets like DeRozan for nothing just for the chance to eek into the PO and get knocked out in RD1. They need draft capital and as much of it as they can get.

Now, if the lightbulb clicks for DeRozan from 3PT land, Lonnie/White/Murray bust out and they start playing 60% winning ball? Ok, that’s another story. But they can’t keep on this same trajectory.

Win building was fine when you are firmly playing good basketball and in the playoffs. It’s good for young players to learn while winning and having vets take pressure off of them. But when you are losing? It’s doing nothing but preventing growth and development. And if you aren’t extending DeRozan, he’s gone anyway next season.

What you're saying makes sense coming from a fan however that's not how most business operate. This team if they make the playoffs will ring in massive revenue which to them is worth not tanking alone. The second part is they have until June to reach a new deal with DeRozan so if the light bulb goes on as you say then regardless of if we like it or not they will extend him. Where I agree with you is that if they want to go for the playoffs this year and keep this same core they need to make a move to signal that they're trying to get better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually think if we make a trade we will get better... DDR isn't good... At least not for us (neither for the raptors)... We WILL get better simply by getting rid of him... Now imagine a decent 3/D guy in his place... Then LMA can net us the same or a decent stretch big... Now we play faster and more open... Not only will we be better, but I'm sure we will get at least one pick for each...

I remember when pistons traded for Rasheed Wallace in the middle of the season, they went from a team that wasn't on the radar at ALL to a team that won the ring that year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What you're saying makes sense coming from a fan however that's not how most business operate. This team if they make the playoffs will ring in massive revenue which to them is worth not tanking alone. The second part is they have until June to reach a new deal with DeRozan so if the light bulb goes on as you say then regardless of if we like it or not they will extend him. Where I agree with you is that if they want to go for the playoffs this year and keep this same core they need to make a move to signal that they're trying to get better.
    That's not how businesses operate... Good businesses take the initial hit (I don't think we get worse if we trade them, but let's say we do for the sake of argument) if it means long term success... See 1997

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree, even purely from a business perspective, that if things stay basically the same (meaning SA’s win %) and even if they make the playoffs, that the revenue from one round would outweigh the business benefits of getting an exciting lottery pick, exciting trades and taking the team a specific direction.

Fans are frustrated and if this type of play continues or only marginal improvement, fans aren’t going to show up for that and you will have lost the potential for extra revenue for following years.

I know for sure, that if you are rebuilding, having lottery picks is way more of a draw and exciting than not having them. So if you eek into the playoffs, DeRozan walks and you have no lottery pick (because you got into the playoffs with a .500 record) and no multiple 1sts either (because you didn’t trade DeRozan/Gay/LMA and DeRozan walks)? It’s bad news and the floor will be much lower business wise in that scenario.

Beyond that we have 2 years of data with DeRozan on SA. Would anything he does this year make it palatable for SA to give him a large deal knowing he’s already past his prime?
    Last edited by DPG21920; 12-10-2019 at 03:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honest question Bill - you’ve seen the importance of the draft for all teams. Now factor in how well SA drafts and how it’s a small market that doesn’t draw free agents that well, do you feel like having that PO record is worth it more than the possibility to draft the next franchise player along with another Murray/White/Lonnie caliber player?

Because we know rebuilds are tough so wouldn’t that lend itself to the logic of giving yourself as much opportunity via the draft as possible?

Because if you don’t trade DeRozan for a pick(s) this season, you’ve 99% lost your chance to do so.
    First of all overtly trying to tank is bad precedent when you've got so many young guys (and this is the youngest Spurs team in decades). You want to instill a mindset of discipline, optimism and professionalism. Tanking is for loser franchises. It brings a mindset that losing is okay. I am against it on principle. Really anything else in this discussion is superfluous.

Secondly, as they'd likely be a mid-lottery or lower lottery team, I'd rather have the Spurs organization reap the income of another playoff appearance. You want your small market teams to survive in their current cities so, all this helps. And if they do somehow get a high lottery, well, unfortunately this is a weak draft. There are no sure things even in the top 5 (or so I read, I don't follow college ball.)

If DeRozan walks, he walks. Or maybe he opts in or maybe they do a sign and trade. I'd almost rather have salary cap than flotsam from a trade. He's not bringing back anything amazing.

Anyway, tearing it down always takes time like 5+ years to rebuild, often decades. You never know when you'll get out of it. So, yeah, I'd rather get the PO record to cap our run before the coming doldrums.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First of all overtly trying to tank is bad precedent when you've got so many young guys (and this is the youngest Spurs team in decades). You want to instill a mindset of discipline, optimism and professionalism. Tanking is for loser franchises. It brings a mindset that losing is okay. I am against it on principle. Really anything else in this discussion is superfluous.

Secondly, as they'd likely be a mid-lottery or lower lottery team, I'd rather have the Spurs organization reap the income of another playoff appearance. You want your small market teams to survive in their current cities so, all this helps. And if they do somehow get a high lottery, well, unfortunately this is a weak draft. There are no sure things even in the top 5 (or so I read, I don't follow college ball.)

If DeRozan walks, he walks. Or maybe he opts in or maybe they do a sign and trade. I'd almost rather have salary cap than flotsam from a trade. He's not bringing back anything amazing.

Anyway, tearing it down always takes time like 5+ years to rebuild, often decades. You never know when you'll get out of it. So, yeah, I'd rather get the PO record to cap our run before the coming doldrums.
    Fair enough. I don’t agree with that at all , but fair enough. Tanking to me means you are trying to be bad on purpose; SA is losing as is and the result is the same.

You’ve already seen the frustration boil up because of that..Lonnie, Murray specifically.

So losing is losing, and I doubt the young guys would see trading DeRozan/LMA as the franchise wanting them to lose. They would view it as the opportunity they’ve been waiting for to shine and grow and show what they could do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol “standing pat” cause it had to take a Lonnie breakout to beat the Rockets at home and barely beating a Fox/Bagley less Kings team at home. Would be so typical of this team. I don’t even think they have to do a fire sale, but at least upgrade the flaws. (Forbes/Mills redundancy, find a legit SF that isn’t aging Rudy Gay/undersized Derozan, perimeter defender, etc.)

But it’s gonna be stand pat again, this team never learns.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol “standing pat” cause it had to take a Lonnie breakout to beat the Rockets at home and barely beating a Fox/Bagley less Kings team at home. Would be so typical of this team. I don’t even think they have to do a fire sale, but at least upgrade the flaws. (Forbes/Mills redundancy, find a legit SF that isn’t aging Rudy Gay/undersized Derozan, perimeter defender, etc.)

But it’s gonna be stand pat again, this team never learns.
    This was y point if you don't want to complete tank then make the small steps to get better and if you're not going to that then bow it up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, if SA believes in DeRozan/LMA and truly wants to win, then offer up White/Murray/Lonnie and some picks and go get some real help. Shape this roster to actually fit and win now.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading anyone of our young guys doesn't make much sense either. I don't like the Gordon trade and I'm not sure what's out there in the trade market that would help us move the needle in terms of improving this team. Therefore, I think the team is banking on internal improvement from Murray, White & Walker. Imagine if Murray got more consistent, White getting back to what he did last year and Walker with a breakout rest of the season. You add in DDR with an improved 3 pt shot and the possibilities could entice the team to want to play it out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading anyone of our young guys doesn't make much sense either. I don't like the Gordon trade and I'm not sure what's out there in the trade market that would help us move the needle in terms of improving this team. Therefore, I think the team is banking on internal improvement from Murray, White & Walker. Imagine if Murray got more consistent, White getting back to what he did last year and Walker with a breakout rest of the season. You add in DDR with an improved 3 pt shot and the possibilities could entice the team to want to play it out.
    To what end though? Let’s say all of that happens. Do you then extend DeRozan and lock him in on an expensive deal for 4 more years (his player option next year, then 3 more years)?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't just get picks for DD. A team needs to match his salary, which means possibly a bad one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't just get picks for DD. A team needs to match his salary, which means possibly a bad one.
    So? If you are rebuilding, what does it matter having a bad contract for a year or two when you aren’t a free agency player anyways? Smart teams do that all the time and pays off big time; they have salary cap space they know they aren’t using and they absorb bad deals for draft picks.

It’s legit great GM’ing to do that.

I also don’t believe Sa would need to do that either; yes they need to match salaries, but there are plenty of guys on expiring deals, just like DeRozan “functionally” is. DET for example has Reggie Jackson making 18M then off the books for next season.

Thread Information