Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I decided to look at the Spurs roster and try to assess which players are tradeable. This is a look at just the player, himself, on his own terms. I didn't try to judge the player as part of a package, as a salary filler, for example.

It's mostly my personal judgment of a player's performance versus his contract. Millions may disagree (and probably should.)

It isn't really players who get traded, it's their contracts, of course. The contract price is very important.

I don't look at the recent draft picks, or at Metu or Eubanks, because they are not currently significant. Maybe in the future, but I'm focusing on the now.

Starting with the ones that look easiest:

Bryn Forbes. "The worst defender in the NBA." Not tradeable. Nobody else wants him.

Marco Belinelli. Appears to be over the hill. For the same price, other teams can get a younger, more athletic player who can do pretty much everything he can do, and more. Not tradeable.

Patty Mills. At $13 million next year, not tradeable. Even if Pop wanted to, he costs too much for what he can do.

DeMarre Carroll. From what we've seen, nobody else is going to pay $7 million for him. Maybe it's age, or maybe he's suffering from polyester poisoning from his wardrobe, I don't know, but he looks bad. Not tradeable.

Trey Lyles. An interesting case. Very little was expected. Then he became part of the starting lineup, led the team in rebounds, and showed he's a credible threat shooting the 3. Well well. He has probably become tradeable, on his own merits. (About the desirability of trading him, tho, that's a different question. The Spurs are short-handed at forward. They'd have to get back either a better forward, or an agile center, at a price of $5.5 million. Can they really do better than Lyles at his same price? I have doubts.)

Jakob Poeltl. Certainly tradeable, but it is certainly undesirable to do so at this time.

Rudy Gay. I think he has become hard to trade, because his contract is higher this year, but his performance has declined. He'd have to be traded for a forward, or an agile center who can play PF. Tradeable, yes, I suppose, but not easy at all.

Dejounte Murray. Excellent on defense. But his offense is still somewhere between the playground and the greased pig event at the rodeo. Wild, that is. Then there's the contract he signed, 4 years at $64 million, starting next season. It makes him not currently tradeable. Other teams are not interested in a "defense-only" guard in this era in the NBA.

Derrick White. Is not healthy. Or, if he's healthy, and still playing like that, I am baffled. He's been inconsistent (no great surprise) but there have been times, both last season and this, when he has been adept on offense. On defense, there were times last season when he looked like one of the best man-on-man defenders I have ever seen. He moved very well, and he was so locked in, it was like he could read the opponent's mind and mirror him step for step. I haven't seen that this year, and he looks gimpy. If an attempt were made to trade him, could he pass the other team's physical? (This is not to imply the Spurs ought to trade Derrick. I'm just sticking with the subject. Tradeability. I think the Spurs should keep him, and give him whatever care he needs to return to top form.)

Lonnie Walker. Runs like a deer, jumps like a kangaroo, can drive for the layup or dunk, can blast from 3pt range, can play lockdown man-to-man defense when he's focused, good heavens yes, he's tradeable. The Spurs would be utter fools to do it, at least until they have a far better understanding of the nature of the beast they've gotten hold of.

LaMarcus Aldridge. Is 40th in the league in salary, but most of his statline runs about 34th. It implies either he's underpaid or he's outperforming. On that basis, he's tradeable, or he should be. But there are difficulties beyond LMA, himself, in the team structure. Poeltl can't play 48 minutes. Metu and Eubanks don't appear to be ready, if they ever will be. The Spurs would have to find another big. Also, they'd have to have the other big locked up before signing to let LMA go. Another fiasco like Morris would be unspeakable. So while the theoretical possibility of trading LMA may exist, the practical difficulties may rule it out.

DeMar DeRozan. The white elephant in the parking lot. His contract is unpleasant. His game has its unpleasant side also. The Raptors found a fool to take his contract. Can the Spurs find the Greater Fool?

Thoughts, about all this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guarantee you there are plenty of teams that would trade for Forbes. No player on the spurs roster is "untradeable." None of the Spurs roster really have bad contracts and if they do, they aren't long term. Spurs have an entire roster of tradeable players and assets. The problem is they would rather be a treadmill team and 8th seed rather than rebuild

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You need to look from the outside in. Any team needing three point shooters come playoff time would love Marco or Patty. Anybody, wanting to shore up some energy from the bench would take Carroll.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop, we get it. You helped mold Bryn Forbes into an nba player. But please trade him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure they can trade a few players but it'd be more of a "dump." They're not getting anything back in return imo..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guarantee you there are plenty of teams that would trade for Forbes. No player on the spurs roster is "untradeable." None of the Spurs roster really have bad contracts and if they do, they aren't long term. Spurs have an entire roster of tradeable players and assets. The problem is they would rather be a treadmill team and 8th seed rather than rebuild
    Facts. Every player on the roster is tradeable. The Spurs just have no desire to move them.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Puerile
    adjective

childishliy silly and trivial

ex: "You made a puerile thread."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CP3 and Westbrook were tradeable on their contracts. Anyone is tradeable.

Spurs know they aren't in win now. They are just in "hope we can keep the playoff streak going" mode. That means all young players are untouchable unless they are making a trade for a superstar, which is highly unlikely. So none of the young players are tradeable at all.

Forbes, a shooter, is absolutely tradeable to a team that can hide his defense. He's a border line young player, but there is no reason to trade one of our few 3 point shooters if we are trying to make the playoffs.

LMA and DeRozan are all-star level players, even if it's just based on reputation. They are both tradeable.

Rudy Gay is probably tradeable if he can start hitting threes again. Even this version has value off the bench for a contending team. I'd put patty here. Unlikely he gets traded, but he has value to a playoff team, problem is affording him. 76ers?

Belinelli has limited value for playoff teams, especially 76ers or Jazz, but they wouldn't trade for him. They would pray S.A. fails to make the playoffs and buys him out as a favor so he can go chase a le.

Demarre Carroll hasn't played enough to show what he can do this year, but he's done enough in the past that I'm sure a playoff team with an injury would consider, though probably not do. He's way down the list.

Lyles is borderline young player. But since he's on a 2nd contract (I won't put Murray with him because Murray is a pay and pray player where you pray he develops into an all star and you see enough to invest in him), I think at his price, he's someone that could generate interest if he keeps making threes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thread. For you "They are all tradeable" people, OP is saying keep it real there is next to zero in return coming back. Other teams have long figured out PATFO are light years behind.

Jeff Duncan. DJ could and would be taken on by Lebron or the Clippers, but again they have virtually nothing to give back in return. I still think he's being forced into a PG position when he is more of a PG-SG combo. Could work great with other fluid flyers (Lonnie IV, White) but Grandpa is still driving the car after multiple wrecks and DUIs.

Patty would have to go to some serious Win Now playoff team wanting to burn money in hopes the Wombat would go on one of his "on" streaks off the bench in the playoffs. Dk who but as the season develops mmmaybe some team in Right Now mode? Philly with Pops buddy coach?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop, we get it. You helped mold Bryn Forbes into an nba player. But please trade him.
    If you love him set him free

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade murray

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Puerile
    adjective

childishliy silly and trivial

ex: "You made a puerile thread."
    And your response is as jejune as usual.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And your response is as jejune as usual.
    U read

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree about Forbes being the worst defender in the league. Bellineli makes Forbes look like Gary Payton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point, only Lonnie looks the closest to untouchable cause I still feel he can have star potential but if the right trade comes along he and the others are far from untradeable. But like Lee said, Pop is treating this group like they’re playoff ready instead of accepting them for what they are.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree about Forbes being the worst defender in the league. Bellineli makes Forbes look like Gary Payton.
    White has been blown by 4 times from top. Forbes 0

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Technically, Dejounte is very untradeable because his contract counts for more dollars coming ”in” for acquiring team and less going “out” for Spurs (what happens when a rookie signs an extension).

But watching him out there, I’d dump him as soon as his value peaks. He just doesn’t get it on offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thread. For you "They are all tradeable" people, OP is saying keep it real there is next to zero in return coming back. ...
    That's it, yes. Tradeable in a practical way, to get a player in return who has value to the team. Just wanting to be rid of a player does not make him tradeable. I'm not talking about wishful thinking.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd package a pick with DeRozan to get him out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade DeRozan back to Toronto for a Kawhi poster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately not Pop.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Lonnie Walker. Runs like a deer, jumps like a kangaroo"

Can you say puerile, boys and girls? I knew you could. Won'cha be my neighbor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone here is tradeable but does fo stand pat and accept what theyve built?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone here is tradeable but does fo stand pat and accept what theyve built?
    They've got too much undeserved pride from hitting the lottery on Timmy, Tony, Manu, and Kawhi. There has been so much ass-sniffing for so many years that there's no way an elderly Pop will admit he's done.

Thread Information