Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray has a rep based on that all-defensive selection that far exceeds his usefulness. Send him somewhere for a lottery pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop for Byron Scott straight up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray has a rep based all that all-defensive selection that far exceeds his usefulness. Send him somewhere for a lottery pick.

Dont we wish but will never happen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... Anyone is tradeable.
    Not correct. Players get waived all the time because they're not tradeable. Teams just let them go.

Forbes, a shooter, is absolutely tradeable to a team that can hide his defense. ...
    No, he isn't. He's 81st in the league in 3pt %, and he's not in the top 100 in FG%. Shooting is all he can really do, and he's far from first rate at that. Tanking teams can tank without him, and better teams don't want him. He is not tradeable.

LMA and DeRozan are all-star level players, even if it's just based on reputation. They are both tradeable.
    To whom, and for what? Nobody is knocking on the door.

Demarre Carroll hasn't played enough to show what he can do this year, ...
    He's played enough to show what he can't do. Like for example, jump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DD actually had some very good hoops in that 4th qtr turnaround. He could show some trade value sans Grandpa.
    Had Grandpa not drawn up the critical plays for him we undoubtedly win. (That and the +3 don't foul with 8 seconds left.)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometimes you have to take a step back before you can move forward. In that I would like us to be the Mavs and just let everyone now we tanking. So for me I am hopping to trade most of the above players for picks and maybe some young guys. Also as this upcoming draft sucks I am definitely looking at us tanking at least one more year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I decided to look at the Spurs roster and try to assess which players are tradeable. This is a look at just the player, himself, on his own terms. I didn't try to judge the player as part of a package, as a salary filler, for example.

It's mostly my personal judgment of a player's performance versus his contract. Millions may disagree (and probably should.)

It isn't really players who get traded, it's their contracts, of course. The contract price is very important.

I don't look at the recent draft picks, or at Metu or Eubanks, because they are not currently significant. Maybe in the future, but I'm focusing on the now.

Starting with the ones that look easiest:

Bryn Forbes. "The worst defender in the NBA." Not tradeable. Nobody else wants him.

Marco Belinelli. Appears to be over the hill. For the same price, other teams can get a younger, more athletic player who can do pretty much everything he can do, and more. Not tradeable.

Patty Mills. At $13 million next year, not tradeable. Even if Pop wanted to, he costs too much for what he can do.

DeMarre Carroll. From what we've seen, nobody else is going to pay $7 million for him. Maybe it's age, or maybe he's suffering from polyester poisoning from his wardrobe, I don't know, but he looks bad. Not tradeable.

Trey Lyles. An interesting case. Very little was expected. Then he became part of the starting lineup, led the team in rebounds, and showed he's a credible threat shooting the 3. Well well. He has probably become tradeable, on his own merits. (About the desirability of trading him, tho, that's a different question. The Spurs are short-handed at forward. They'd have to get back either a better forward, or an agile center, at a price of $5.5 million. Can they really do better than Lyles at his same price? I have doubts.)

Jakob Poeltl. Certainly tradeable, but it is certainly undesirable to do so at this time.

Rudy Gay. I think he has become hard to trade, because his contract is higher this year, but his performance has declined. He'd have to be traded for a forward, or an agile center who can play PF. Tradeable, yes, I suppose, but not easy at all.

Dejounte Murray. Excellent on defense. But his offense is still somewhere between the playground and the greased pig event at the rodeo. Wild, that is. Then there's the contract he signed, 4 years at $64 million, starting next season. It makes him not currently tradeable. Other teams are not interested in a "defense-only" guard in this era in the NBA.

Derrick White. Is not healthy. Or, if he's healthy, and still playing like that, I am baffled. He's been inconsistent (no great surprise) but there have been times, both last season and this, when he has been adept on offense. On defense, there were times last season when he looked like one of the best man-on-man defenders I have ever seen. He moved very well, and he was so locked in, it was like he could read the opponent's mind and mirror him step for step. I haven't seen that this year, and he looks gimpy. If an attempt were made to trade him, could he pass the other team's physical? (This is not to imply the Spurs ought to trade Derrick. I'm just sticking with the subject. Tradeability. I think the Spurs should keep him, and give him whatever care he needs to return to top form.)

Lonnie Walker. Runs like a deer, jumps like a kangaroo, can drive for the layup or dunk, can blast from 3pt range, can play lockdown man-to-man defense when he's focused, good heavens yes, he's tradeable. The Spurs would be utter fools to do it, at least until they have a far better understanding of the nature of the beast they've gotten hold of.

LaMarcus Aldridge. Is 40th in the league in salary, but most of his statline runs about 34th. It implies either he's underpaid or he's outperforming. On that basis, he's tradeable, or he should be. But there are difficulties beyond LMA, himself, in the team structure. Poeltl can't play 48 minutes. Metu and Eubanks don't appear to be ready, if they ever will be. The Spurs would have to find another big. Also, they'd have to have the other big locked up before signing to let LMA go. Another fiasco like Morris would be unspeakable. So while the theoretical possibility of trading LMA may exist, the practical difficulties may rule it out.

DeMar DeRozan. The white elephant in the parking lot. His contract is unpleasant. His game has its unpleasant side also. The Raptors found a fool to take his contract. Can the Spurs find the Greater Fool?

Thoughts, about all this?
    really good post buddy. some funny stuff in there too

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    everyonee should be tradeable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Philly would be very interested in trading for Forbes. They need 3 point shooting and they have zero money to find it. Forbes is cheap and provides shooting. But I don't think Pop would do it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of the team is tradable, but the only three players who would garner a good return are Murray, Walker, and White. The others--DeRozan, Aldridge, Gay, Forbes, and Mills, notably--will receive a modest return relative to fanbase hopes and expectations.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not correct. Players get waived all the time because they're not tradeable. Teams just let them go.

No, he isn't. He's 81st in the league in 3pt %, and he's not in the top 100 in FG%. Shooting is all he can really do, and he's far from first rate at that. Tanking teams can tank without him, and better teams don't want him. He is not tradeable.

To whom, and for what? Nobody is knocking on the door.

He's played enough to show what he can't do. Like for example, jump.
    Everyone is tradeable. That doesn't mean they will get traded. Being tradeable may require attaching a first round pick or getting a contract you don't like, but anyone can be traded. Practically speaking, it may not happen or buyers may not be willing to pay the price you want so a trade doesn't happen. But anyone could be traded if a team really wanted to get rid of a player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeMarre Carroll. From what we've seen, nobody else is going to pay $7 million for him. Maybe it's age, or maybe he's suffering from polyester poisoning from his wardrobe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Philly would be very interested in trading for Forbes. They need 3 point shooting and they have zero money to find it. Forbes is cheap and provides shooting. But I don't think Pop would do it.
    If you check out what the Orlando fans are saying, many do not want Dumbmar; they want a 3-point shooter. I think they might also have interest in Bryn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it doesn't make sense to trade Forbes. He's too cheap, you can't get anything significant back for him. Trade Mills instead and package him with one of Lyles/Carroll/Belinelli and the Spurs could get back a Marvin Williams/Gallinari type of player who can actually start at a position of need. It's just that they will never do that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it doesn't make sense to trade Forbes. He's too cheap, you can't get anything significant back for him. Trade Mills instead and package him with one of Lyles/Carroll/Belinelli and the Spurs could get back a Marvin Williams/Gallinari type of player who can actually start at a position of need. It's just that they will never do that
    Brah he's cheap now. But wait until the offseason and we re-sign him to his new deal. I'm not so sure he will remain cheap (he's gonna get atleast 15 mill in his next contract, it comes down to the amount of years). It's a necessary act to save us from ourselves tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brah he's cheap now. But wait until the offseason and we re-sign him to his new deal. I'm not so sure he will remain cheap (he's gonna get atleast 15 mill in his next contract, it comes down to the amount of years). It's a necessary act to save us from ourselves tbh.
    I wouldn't resign him. I'd make Weatherspoon the SG off the bench for next year. But you're right, PATFO will probably resign him for 80 million/4 years at 12:01 and call the deal a bargain

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it doesn't make sense to trade Forbes. He's too cheap, you can't get anything significant back for him. ...
    Forbes is at $3 million in round numbers. There are more than 50 nba players making from $2.5 million to $3.5. Rookies, of course, but a lot of vets too. Lots of players there better than Forbes.

Price isn't the problem with trading Forbes, it's how badly he sucks.

Recall the Mavs game, the incident where the Mavs had the ball, with Mills on Doncic at first. It was posted by timvp in some thread. Coach Carlisle was yelling and waving for a screen, to force a defensive switch, and put Forbes on Doncic. The Mavs did that, and Doncic hit a 3. They knew Forbes would be no problem, even less of a problem than Mills.

The league knows about Forbes. Nobody would want him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is at $3 million in round numbers. There are more than 50 nba players making from $2.5 million to $3.5. Rookies, of course, but a lot of vets too. Lots of players there better than Forbes.

Price isn't the problem with trading Forbes, it's how badly he sucks.

Recall the Mavs game, the incident where the Mavs had the ball, with Mills on Doncic at first. It was posted by timvp in some thread. Coach Carlisle was yelling and waving for a screen, to force a defensive switch, and put Forbes on Doncic. The Mavs did that, and Doncic hit a 3. They knew Forbes would be no problem, even less of a problem than Mills.

The league knows about Forbes. Nobody would want him.
    players on those contracts are not starter material. The Spurs should package 2 players for one, so they can get a starter. Gallo, Marvin Williams and a couple of other PFs on one-year deals are on the market. That's why it makes more sense to package Mills. Ideally you'd want a starter back, so he replaces Forbes in the starting line up while Forbes comes off the bench. That way you fix multiple holes on the roster with one move

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, say what you want about Pop missing a step this year but the FO has delivered, especially under the cir stances.

If you look at the post 2014 championship era, Re-Draft 2016, 2017, and 2018 and most would consider our choices in the top 14 (lotto picks). We all know 2015 was about making the space for Lamarcus.

2016: https://medium.com/sportsraid/2016-n...t-708f2a16a0b0

2017:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/fanside...aft-class/amp/

2018: too early, but tell me Lonnie ain’t gonna be better than 4 dudes ahead of him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    players on those contracts are not starter material. ...
    As a rule. There are exceptions. But sure.

The Spurs should package 2 players for one, so they can get a starter. ...
    If possible, no argument

Gallo, Marvin Williams and a couple of other PFs on one-year deals are on the market. ...
    Well, Marvin Williams is on the last year of a 4-yr deal, and he's 33. He's at $15 million this season. Too expensive, too old, don't want. Gimme youth. Carroll, Beli, and even Gay - to some extent - have soured me on signing older players looking for another contract, even if it were a single-digit price.

Gallinari is younger, at age 31, but he's at $21.6 million, in the last year of a 3-yr deal he originally signed with Denver. He's been a starter in every NBA game he's played in for the last 5 years. He has a strong stat line, 18/6.
    He's really on the market at midseason? You sure? OKC should want a lot for him, and he's at the age where he's probably looking for his last big contract, say 4 yrs at $100 million before he'd even talk to you, if it were up to him. Mills, in a deal for him?? Can't be done that way. We'd have to convince OKC to take DDR or LMA in a deal for him. By stat matching, he's pretty close to LMA this year. Fine with me, but they won't do it.

... That's why it makes more sense to package Mills. ...
    Except, I think Pop is the only person on earth who values Mills at $13 million. To move Mills, the Spurs might have to carry $5 million of it, the same as that mess with Gasol. Puke.

Ideally you'd want a starter back, so he replaces Forbes in the starting line up while Forbes comes off the bench. That way you fix multiple holes on the roster with one move
    We've already got a guy to replace Forbes. Just look for either a weird hairdo, or the fastest guy on the court, and that's him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gallinari is younger, at age 31, but he's at $21.6 million, in the last year of a 3-yr deal he originally signed with Denver. He's been a starter in every NBA game he's played in for the last 5 years. He has a strong stat line, 18/6.
    He's really on the market at midseason? You sure? OKC should want a lot for him, and he's at the age where he's probably looking for his last big contract, say 4 yrs at $100 million before he'd even talk to you, if it were up to him. Mills, in a deal for him?? Can't be done that way. We'd have to convince OKC to take DDR or LMA in a deal for him. By stat matching, he's pretty close to LMA this year. Fine with me, but they won't do it.

Except, I think Pop is the only person on earth who values Mills at $13 million. To move Mills, the Spurs might have to carry $5 million of it, the same as that mess with Gasol. Puke.

We've already got a guy to replace Forbes. Just look for either a weird hairdo, or the fastest guy on the court, and that's him.
    Gallo is on the market and that has been reported by various NBA reporters, OKC clearly wants to move him. Gay or Mills + one of Beli/Carroll is enough to get it done. Not sure if OKC would accept that, but Gallo is on an expiring so they can't be expecting a first round pick in return. Throw in a 2nd rounder and try your luck. I'm not even concerned about resigning that guy, just ship out some dead weight and improve the team for this year. I think you could resign Gallo for a good value deal since not a lot of teams have cap space next offseason.

You're right, Walker should start, I just don't expect Pop to do it at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gallo is on the market and that has been reported by various NBA reporters, OKC clearly wants to move him. ...
    IOW you've seen nothing but twitter rumors. Which are totally worthless.

Gay or Mills + one of Beli/Carroll is enough to get it done. ...
    Get what done? Make OKC laugh in your face?

Try asking your neighbor, "I was just wondering, if I dump my garbage on your lawn, will you give me your car?" See what the reaction is.

Not sure if OKC would accept that, ...
    I'm sure. The answer is no.

but Gallo is on an expiring ...
    Which has nothing to do with anything. He could be serving under a lifetime indenture and OKC still wouldn't trade him to the Spurs in exchange for a dump truck load of chicken poop.

so they can't be expecting a first round pick in return. ...
    Dream on. In OKC you're talking about a team that demanded five - count 'em, 5 - first round picks to let Paul George go, and also two more 1st round pick swaps, in addition. That's a total of seven 1st rd picks involved in that deal. And you think they'll let Galli go without getting at least one. Har and har.

Throw in a 2nd rounder and try your luck. ...
    At making them laugh. They will.

I'm not even concerned about resigning that guy, ...
    Good, because you'll never have him, to make the issue relevant.

just ship out some dead weight ...
    It's the oddest thing. I have noticed that when some Spurs fans observe that some of the Spurs players resemble tall piles of steaming chicken poop, they think it means that every other team in the league desperately wants those players. But that is not true.

Does it not occur to you that OKC will notice that all you're offering is dead weight, and they will not want it? They will want something more than dead weight for Galli, a lot more. And they will want, as part of the deal, a 1st round pick, because that's how they roll now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ve/2649477001/

This might be of interest to some...

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    As bad as the Spurs start has been this season I don't see FO making any moves until the NBA trade deadline considering they are only 2 games out of the playoffs as of this type. If things get worse and they have no shot at playoffs they may just blow it up who knows. They will likely look for a deal that keeps them compe ive and do a short rebuild. So one of LMA or DeMar would likely get traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the story says about DDR is peculiar. It mentions him in connection with Orlando but then goes on to say, basically, that Orlando won't want him. "Not a 3pt shooter." So, huh??

Thread Information