Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great stuff. Props for being able to rewatch that show. this team still being 2 games out of 8th. They really don’t deserve a playoff spot at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's decision making in OT was cringe worthy. He found a lineup that worked; White, Beli, DeRozan, Walker, and Aldridge and then went away from it for no reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Accurate grades.

We should also not forget that DeMar got a tech for throwing the ball into the stands. That 1 point came back to haunt us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't be sorry. Losing to that team in a game we just have to win, that's on Pop. No sorry's. The thing is, what are we, 30 games in? And we saw the results for 82 games last season. Nothing has really changed in our rotation and our younger players really need to start getting ahead of Pop's pets (Forbes, Mills, Beli). And we need to play a lot faster. It's not LMA team anymore, just get out there and run. It makes DD play better, and White/Walker/Murray will make mistakes, but you live with it. Also Mills and Beli benefit from a faster game too.

And still no Carrol?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Accurate grades.

We should also not forget that DeMar got a tech for throwing the ball into the stands. That 1 point came back to haunt us.
    Can't really blame him, he was probably frustrated with Pop's ty rotations. I honestly was thinking he was going to get a second T on purpose so he could get kicked out of that show.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well written and to the point. Demar, Aldridge and Pop lost us this game. Simple as that. Aldridge needs to set-up the pace from the get go. Attacking the rim. Demar has to learn to channel his emotion to win and not lose games, and Pop? Loosen up. The team has exciting young talents eager to prove themselves but are shelves back. Come on. Walker would sell that tickets with his athleticism, and inspire the team. Note, please revisit the Rockets game. The young guns did it. Let them play. The game of basketball is not just X’s and O’s, but having fun. The leaders of this team are NOT having fun. NOPE, and it’s pulling down the entire team. Walker, Murray, White, Lyles, Poeltl are fun. Come on! We like something to root for, not tired, strolling, stats padding dinosaurs. And Demar, lighten up. Have fun and maybe that will loosen the nerves. Let’s get this back with a win at Mexico City.
    Last edited by John B; 12-13-2019 at 07:00 AM.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s Orwellian, so to speak. Up is down. Playing to win is essentially tanking. Trading our two stars to rebuild would likely lead to winning more games. Whatever you’re doing Pop, just do the opposite.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop gets an F from me.

He is coaching like the worst coach in the league. Even Boylen figured out that Gafford is a better option than scrubbier players before Pop solved the sphinx's riddle of playing his best players together. And Boylen is the guy who forgot he had Kawhi on his team after subbing him out in the 3rd quarter of a game.

In a 53 minute game where neither White nor Murray have minute restrictions, they combine for 49?

White-Murray-Walker need to average 85 total minutes MINIMUM, and if the Spurs are serious about either winning or developing, try 90+.

It's less important who starts than the total minutes. They could start White-Walker, or White-Murray, or Murray-Walker, doesn't matter. But they have to be getting big time minutes starting months ago.

Sure, the rest of the roster might be a mish-mash of chokers, quitters, divas, scrubs, pets, washed-up vets, underachievers and mistakenly drafted over-estimated or low-potential rookies.

But at least play White-Murray-Walker.

As infuriating as it is to know that we'll have to wait until next season or April to finally see White-Murray, together, it'll be another year after that until we see White-Murray-Walker on the floor at the same time.

Maybe Pop is missing having another old codger on the bench with him as an assistant, someone he can relate to, and someone who can talk to him as a peer. Having to only young and inexperienced assistants must be lonely. Can't they dig up some ancient guy for Pop to be chummy with, like, Dunleavy or Hanzlik or Carlesimo or Brian Winters or Bristow or Jim O'Brien? Someone for Pop to commiserate with that wasn't 40 years younger than him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seeing the Spurs players starting OT i have to believe Pop has fully embraced tanking, that or he's full on alzheimers.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LaMarcus has got to go. Derozan is hard to watch too but he still plays with heart at least. LMA is 100% checked out as evidenced by this game. If the Spurs trade Demar before or instead of LMA, Wright’s gonna need a head check.

Anyway, thanks for the grades! Just an all around lousy effort. It’s still so hard to watch because when engaged, I still fully believe this team is a 4-5 seed. But we’ve only seen this team exert that full effort for fractions of a few games. So damn aggravating.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your finisher can’t make free throws in clutch time. Your best player checks out throughout the games. The coach doesn’t know or care which is the best line up. With this trio, no success is forthcoming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't be sorry. Losing to that team in a game we just have to win, that's on Pop. No sorry's. The thing is, what are we, 30 games in? And we saw the results for 82 games last season. Nothing has really changed in our rotation and our younger players really need to start getting ahead of Pop's pets (Forbes, Mills, Beli). And we need to play a lot faster. It's not LMA team anymore, just get out there and run. It makes DD play better, and White/Walker/Murray will make mistakes, but you live with it. Also Mills and Beli benefit from a faster game too.

And still no Carrol?
    This is why when so many of us were ing about the rotations in game 5 of the season, people were pulling the usual Pop shielding (sniffers), but I said its not game 5, is game 87 because it’s the same from last year. Not we’re at game 106 of the exact same garbage.

Now finally everyone is on the wtf is Pop doing bandwagon. But people still pulling the “well it’s the rosters fault, fault what is he supposed to do?” Um, he put this roster together. The blame is still on him. It’s one and the same.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And still no Carrol?
    Carrol is washed. He's this year's Dante Cunningham. When we played the Celtics Scalabrine called it out instantly, that Carrol looked like he was running in sand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop gets an F from me.

He is coaching like the worst coach in the league. Even Boylen figured out that Gafford is a better option than scrubbier players before Pop solved the sphinx's riddle of playing his best players together. And Boylen is the guy who forgot he had Kawhi on his team after subbing him out in the 3rd quarter of a game.

In a 53 minute game where neither White nor Murray have minute restrictions, they combine for 49?

White-Murray-Walker need to average 85 total minutes MINIMUM, and if the Spurs are serious about either winning or developing, try 90+.

It's less important who starts than the total minutes. They could start White-Walker, or White-Murray, or Murray-Walker, doesn't matter. But they have to be getting big time minutes starting months ago.

Sure, the rest of the roster might be a mish-mash of chokers, quitters, divas, scrubs, pets, washed-up vets, underachievers and mistakenly drafted over-estimated or low-potential rookies.

But at least play White-Murray-Walker.

As infuriating as it is to know that we'll have to wait until next season or April to finally see White-Murray, together, it'll be another year after that until we see White-Murray-Walker on the floor at the same time.

[b]Maybe Pop is missing having another old codger on the bench with him as an assistant, someone he can relate to, and someone who can talk to him as a peer. Having to only young and inexperienced assistants must be lonely. Can't they dig up some ancient guy for Pop to be chummy with, like, Dunleavy or Hanzlik or Carlesimo or Brian Winters or Bristow or Jim O'Brien? Someone for Pop to commiserate with that wasn't 40 years younger than him?[b]
    That’s Pops fault for not walking away. Dude is 70 and has no business still coaching, but he won’t give up the reins. I don’t feel sorry for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why when so many of us were ing about the rotations in game 5 of the season, people were pulling the usual Pop shielding (sniffers), but I said its not game 5, is game 87 because it’s the same from last year. Not we’re at game 106 of the exact same garbage.

Now finally everyone is on the wtf is Pop doing bandwagon. But people still pulling the “well it’s the rosters fault, fault what is he supposed to do?” Um, he put this roster together. The blame is still on him. It’s one and the same.
    To be fair, our roster last season was not only unbalanced, but we didn't have many options. Now Murray and Walker are in the rotation, plus Carroll should be in the rotation also. Yet its the same thing as last season.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tangent, but was Tim not on the bench coaching last night? Bare with me while I speculate wildly, but I want to think that Pop was trying to assure Becky that she has a strong role on this team. And so not only is Pop having difficulties building trust with his young players, but his young coaches as well.

I think Becky has to be the coach next year, and the idea of the Kansas coach, who has been in college forever, wiuld likely have an awful transition, not matter how good he is in college.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, our roster last season was not only unbalanced, but we didn't have many options. Now Murray and Walker are in the rotation, plus Carroll should be in the rotation also. Yet its the same thing as last season.
    The pets always play regardless. Yes it’s the same as last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So sad, pops completely lost it

i wanted to take my brother to a game when he comes to town and thinking to myself that hopefully by then Walker will be playing 30+ minutes but seeing Pops lineups I already know that’s not going to happen. I don’t even want to spend a penny on this team right now. Not cause they’re losing but because of these pathetic lineups.

we won’t see any lineup we’ve been wanting to see all year until they have been officially eliminated from playoff contention. And then we’ll finally see them and they’ll look good and all we’ll be able to do is shake our head.
    Last edited by TDomination; 12-13-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with the grades. At what point will we start looking to move LMA and DDR? I'm not sure theres anything they can do to salvage the season and it makes more sense to lose with young guys than with those two.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope that this loss trigger the trades. Dec 15 is the date.
    It's a shame to lose against the Cavs in our home.
    Our bench is better than our starters.

I'm not super fan of Poeltl but the guy is a good defensive player and with the lack of defense in our team he need to play more.
    Pop is a confidence killer. Look Bertans how relax is playing in Was is a killer now and Baynes is playing great after leaving SA.

He like to control the players to fit a broken system, same as Phil Jackson in NY.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Flopovich, DeRozan, Aldridge, Mills: F-

The Spurs were up 3 with 25 seconds to go and Belinelli caught the inbound. Cavs tried to foul him, but Pop called time out before that, so he could draw up another inbound play. On that play LaMarcus barely catches the ball and commits a back court violation that doesn't get called. The ball gets to Mills and he gets fouled and knocks down 2 free throws. Genius coaching tbh.

Mills then falls on the floor, with no contact at all, while backpedaling and gives up an open lay up to Sexton, not to mention those 4 wide open 3-pointers he gave up to him in the rest of the game. DeRozan gets fouled and bricks both free throws. Then he also bricks the game winning shot in classic DeRozan fashion.

Pop starts OT with a Poeltl/Aldridge/DeRozan/Belinelli/Mills line up. I'm not even sure that line up has ever played together. So no PG out there, but 2 bigs and no perimeter defender to check Jordan Clarkson who's been lighting the Spurs up all night. Walker was defending him well, but you know pets need to play in crunch time. White was the most efficient scorer all night and is a good defender as well, but he's glued to the bench. Same with Murray.

DeRozan bricks various shots from 3 feet and lay ups, while missing open 3-point shooters on the perimeter. Aldridge saved his ass once with a tip dunk.

With 1:50 left in OT and the Spurs down 4 Pop then subs in Walker for Poeltl. Still no Derrick White. Spurs are down 2 with 1:01 to go and Pop finally subs in White for Belinelli. Cavs score and then Mills shoots a 3-pointer who hits the backboard and not even the rim. Ball game.

Genius coaching by Flopovich. By the way DeRozan's technical also played a big part of this game going into OT

By the way Duncan was probably not on the bench because of the old lady dying. Might've went to the funeral or visit the fam. Just my assumption.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm hoping this game is the last game I see this team constructed the way it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The neutering of Dejounte is a sight to behold tbh. He started off the season attacking the basket on every fast break. It only took Pop 25 games to make sure he looks completely lost in transition and making terrible decisions every time he's out on the open court.....

Actually - the entire team outside of Lonnie is straight garbage whenever they have 2-1, 3-2 advantage in the open court.....I wonder how long before Lonnie is neutered as well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just can't stand watching derozan. How could the spurs not know he was horrible mentally and basketball wise? Spurstalk knew, I knew... But the "best ran front office in NBA history" didn't?

Thread Information