Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The sample sizes on those line ups are so tiny as to make them nearly meaningless, but while DeRozan is part of the top line up, he's not in the #2 or #3 best. Derrick White is part of the #1 and #2 most successful line ups, which makes sense to me because I think he's better counterpart to Walker than DeRozan, who is a higher usage rate player in addition to being a defensive liability. Any way I look at it, DeRozan simply isn't part of a championship formula for the Spurs in terms of salary or playability. I can see White, Walker, and Murray supporting a future star/leader for the Spurs, but DeRozan just doesn't fit in that role.
    It doesn't make sense to argue sample size here. No one was doing a statistical analysis. I've been arguing for DeMar to play PF since last season. The difference back then was the the Spurs' guard rotation was somehow even worse than it is now. Walker wasn't good enough to play the SF role, and Mills wasn't consistently good. DeRozan has a history of going into the playoffs. That's good enough. The team shouldn't make moves now based on a window that may open up in five or six years. The NBA is just too fleeting to play that type of long game, especially when you don't yet have a foundational player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read a stat that DD clutch FT % was higher than his AVG last season. He already shoots high 80s. This season, it's under 50% in the clutch. Ouch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan at PF might work on offense, but opposing PFs are killing him in the post on the regular. I don't see how you get stops with that type of line up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It kinda messes up their O if they have to go through the post, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont see how somebody averaging 35 mpg with a 26% usage cannot be considered to be stunting the development of another player who could otherwise be using those minutes and possessions to gain experience and further his development on the court

that would be true even if derozan were lebron james and the best player in the world... at which point you would think his getting minutes/touches is so beneficial to the team that it trumps the development of a guy like walker. derozan isnt in that atmosphere, and the spurs arent winning enough to justify that mentality

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont see how somebody averaging 35 mpg with a 26% usage cannot be considered to be stunting the development of another player who could otherwise be using those minutes and possessions to gain experience and further his development on the court

that would be true even if derozan were lebron james and the best player in the world... at which point you would think his getting minutes/touches is so beneficial to the team that it trumps the development of a guy like walker. derozan isnt in that atmosphere, and the spurs arent winning enough to justify that mentality
    Not everyone develops best by making them the first option and giving them a ton of minutes. In fact, I'd say that most players given that treatment become Bookers, Lavines and Wiggins more than they become Oladipos. I'd much rather Walker score less and learn to be an all-around player than him get 25 every night but "save himself" on the other end. Having guys learn role-player fundamentals first is very obviously the team's plan, and that doesn't happen if you shunt off everyone who is higher in the pecking order. Walker can develop just fine in an 18mpg role that grows as his game does. DeRozan is not impeding that, especially since they've been playing just fine together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie should be playing 30-35 minutes a night. I don't really care whose minutes he takes along the way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie should be playing 30-35 minutes a night. I don't really care whose minutes he takes along the way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mostly agree with this...it shouldn't be at the expense of white or Murray...it should be at the expense of DDR, Forms, and Patty

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Lonnie's seemingly to be in jury prone, would it truly be wise for the Spurs to trade Demar an let Lonnie take his position? Is Lonnie good enough to really take over for Demar? I say yes cuz he tries to play defense an he's waaaaay faster than Demar.
    No bc not only is he injury prone, but he's not good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No bc not only is he injury prone, but he's not good
    What measures and analytical tools have you used to so succinctly decide that a 20yo player getting non-consistent minutes in a system not built for their strengths is decidedly "not good"? I'm curious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What measures and analytical tools have you used to so succinctly decide that a 20yo player getting non-consistent minutes in a system not built for their strengths is decidedly "not good"? I'm curious.
    i want to know too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I, like everyone, would like to see more Lonnie. But I do wonder if his body can take more minutes. He seems a bit fragile.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR is heartless/lazy as ! He doesn’t have the alpha gene....... Westbrook should help his fellow brodie!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can live with a 20year old mistakes as long as the effort and progression is there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not everyone develops best by making them the first option and giving them a ton of minutes. In fact, I'd say that most players given that treatment become Bookers, Lavines and Wiggins more than they become Oladipos.
    is that really something that can be backed up, though? feel like its just an arbitrary/convenient opinion. and its not like walker would receive poor coaching and just be neglected, allowed to completely do whatever he wanted.

I'd much rather Walker score less and learn to be an all-around player than him get 25 every night but "save himself" on the other end.
    who said anything about walker taking a break on defense? i'm not saying he should be out there matching derozan's usage. but he could easily get some share of those touches. we still have dejounte, white, aldridge, gay that can initiate.

Having guys learn role-player fundamentals first is very obviously the team's plan, and that doesn't happen if you shunt off everyone who is higher in the pecking order. Walker can develop just fine in an 18mpg role that grows as his game does. DeRozan is not impeding that, especially since they've been playing just fine together.
    if he's getting minutes next to derozan to stand in a corner then i dont think he's gaining anything. that's not where lonnie's potential lies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information