Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Lonnie's seemingly to be in jury prone, would it truly be wise for the Spurs to trade Demar an let Lonnie take his position? Is Lonnie good enough to really take over for Demar? I say yes cuz he tries to play defense an he's waaaaay faster than Demar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said it before the season started and I'll say it again: Walker is a better player than DeRozan. Better defender, better 3-point shooter and he can easily score 20 points in 38 minutes, but without the choking.

Now the real question: Who's the worse coach? Jim Boylen or Gregg Popovich?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope demar gets a career ending injury that allows us to clear him from the books

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and whats more important hes younger so he can still develop, really dont understand why the spurs traded for ddr...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm starting to notice that when we play Lonnie the Spurs almost always start a comeback or take/hold the lead. When Lonnie leaves we go to again.

He is clearly the player that we should be building around. I say this as someone who was very critical of Lonnie early on but you cannot deny his skill at this point. He has the bursty speed that you cannot teach and a fire in him. He has the "it" factor and the makings of an all star.

I'm down to trade our vets at this point (besides Rudy as i think he plays well with Lonnie unlike the other vets). Let the LWIV era begin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm starting to notice that when we play Lonnie the Spurs almost always start a comeback or take/hold the lead. When Lonnie leaves we go to again.

He is clearly the player that we should be building around. I say this as someone who was very critical of Lonnie early on but you cannot deny his skill at this point. He has the bursty speed that you cannot teach and a fire in him. He has the "it" factor and the makings of an all star.

I'm down to trade our vets at this point (besides Rudy as i think he plays well with Lonnie unlike the other vets). Let the LWIV era begin.
    everything i was going to say and now don't need to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team seems at it’s best when they are running. They’re also more mistake prone when running, but that’s cured by doing it more often. Unfortunately, the team slows to a crawl with DDR & LMA on the floor. These two need to be traded and start rebuilding around the young guns. Sure, they’ll make lots of boneheaded plays, but they can only learn how to avoid those mistakes by playing. Get it done now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's what happens when you play 2-way players. Sadly this team doesn't have a lot of them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope demar gets a career ending injury that allows us to clear him from the books
    He could just say he has an injury -- that seems to work.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s quite the contrast in styles. DDR with his plodding game with no defensive intensity and then you have Walker, who plays as if he was shot out of a rocket. It’s beyond time to move on from DDR & LMA. They aren’t Spurs material. I rather lose with our young guys while they get experience then continue using the same ole tired lineup.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How about trade Bryn and let Lonnie play his natural position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s quite the contrast in styles. DDR with his plodding game with no defensive intensity and then you have Walker, who plays as if he was shot out of a rocket. It’s beyond time to move on from DDR & LMA. They aren’t Spurs material. I rather lose with our young guys while they get experience then continue using the same ole tired lineup.

if we're tanking then let the young guns have all the minutes. i'm sick of mediocrity and slowness with our 2 slugs in ddr & la.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is Lonnie's team, tbh.

Pop, DD, and LMA just don't know it yet.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said it before the season started and I'll say it again: Walker is a better player than DeRozan. Better defender, better 3-point shooter and he can easily score 20 points in 38 minutes, but without the choking.

Now the real question: Who's the worse coach? Jim Boylen or Gregg Popovich?
    Lol. This is crazy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie is the team's best player. He just needs the minutes and consistency to show it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is correct, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Lonnie becomes nearly as good as DD on offense, Spurs nailed the pick. We need to give the keys to the guy soon. He could be as good as rookie Mitc right now and younger to top it off.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have a legit Big Three with DeRozan, LMA, IV. This either/or stuff is the byproduct of accepting Gregg's bull rotations.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Gregg knows it; that's why he's in' him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those runs often involve DeRozan playing the four. People aren't going to believe me until timvp or someone else writes and article about it. But yeah, look at his best lineups from bball reference:

https://www.basketball-reference.com...1/lineups/2020

It's not an either/or thing. The team needs to play smaller and faster, and that means getting Mills, Walker, DeRozan, Poeltl (or LMA if he's having a good game) and some other small on the court, preferably one who can shoot while not being a defensive liablity. The reason why this isn't a death lineup is because the Spurs don't really have that fifth player. They have two defenders in Murray and White, and they have two shooters in Forbes and Beli. But if they had a guy who could do both, it would be the clear-cut closing lineup against all but the biggest teams.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His defense alone is top notch. He has the speed one on one and the recovery when he's beat is eyepopping. There's a play last game where he stayed with his man and then recovered to rebound his man's miss, jumping over others for the board. No 1 on our team is comes close to that ability. The team defense will only get better when he plays thru experience.

On offense, that three looks money now especially when he open and he easily the best driver of the team.

He needs to start. Pop can't help himself when it comes to rotations . Don't care if its for Bryn or Demar.
    Last edited by Slippy; 12-15-2019 at 04:49 AM.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Edit. Double post
    Last edited by Slippy; 12-15-2019 at 04:46 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An this is what I mean... Lonnie just cant stay healthy. His knees cant handle his own quickness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those runs often involve DeRozan playing the four. People aren't going to believe me until timvp or someone else writes and article about it. But yeah, look at his best lineups from bball reference:

https://www.basketball-reference.com...1/lineups/2020

It's not an either/or thing. The team needs to play smaller and faster, and that means getting Mills, Walker, DeRozan, Poeltl (or LMA if he's having a good game) and some other small on the court, preferably one who can shoot while not being a defensive liablity. The reason why this isn't a death lineup is because the Spurs don't really have that fifth player. They have two defenders in Murray and White, and they have two shooters in Forbes and Beli. But if they had a guy who could do both, it would be the clear-cut closing lineup against all but the biggest teams.
    The sample sizes on those line ups are so tiny as to make them nearly meaningless, but while DeRozan is part of the top line up, he's not in the #2 or #3 best. Derrick White is part of the #1 and #2 most successful line ups, which makes sense to me because I think he's better counterpart to Walker than DeRozan, who is a higher usage rate player in addition to being a defensive liability. Any way I look at it, DeRozan simply isn't part of a championship formula for the Spurs in terms of salary or playability. I can see White, Walker, and Murray supporting a future star/leader for the Spurs, but DeRozan just doesn't fit in that role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An this is what I mean... Lonnie just cant stay healthy. His knees cant handle his own quickness.
    No injury report so far whatsoever, only a tweet from Lonnie saying he feels good (obviously inconclusive but far away from "can't stay healthy"). Does anyone even remember Steph Curry's ankle problems in the earlier stages of his career? Not every injury is a death sentence for players.

Thread Information