Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/derrick-wh...son-struggles/

The gist: helped the Spurs last season but has been hurting the Spurs this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demoting him to the 2nd unit, after last years performance and selection to the national team, didn’t help. I’m not sure if it was to rest him or a failed DJ experiment in the starting PG. Because DJ, with all his potentials, was and still not ready as the starting PG. He needs to calm down, protect the ball and minimize the turnovers. It will come. For now, White is the best ballhandler in the team with his poise and size. Not Demar, because other teams sag on perimeter defense unless he hurls them 3pts and make them consistently. Mills is too small on the other end and should be relegated only to spurt offense. White is the starting PG of this team, and should command that role. I’ve seen him getting aggressive lately. I hope he is recovering fast from any injuries. This team definitely needs him, along with Lonnie, Poeltl, Murray, Lyles. I’ve gave up on the veteran leadership. It’s been more exciting to watch the young guns, whenever they’re a chance to play together that is.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fatigue, injuries, and/or confusion over his role (and therefore the role of others) probably explains 99% of it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the lowest paid players is never hurting any team, we have way bigger problems.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure how anyone could thrive with this current team as it stands..

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone gonna start the game thread...

spurs playing for an audience of messicans in messico

as opposed to

spurs playing for an audience of messicans in texas?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Noticed White was limping 3 games ago. Summer program he looked heavy. Hopefully all this gets fixed when he gets healthy and Pop starts to just play his young guys from now on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In theory, White’s shooting made him a better fit in the starting lineup. In reality, flipping White and Murray hasn’t done much good. The new starting lineup (White, DeRozan, Aldridge, Bryn Forbes and Rudy Gay) has a net rating of -9.3 compared to the -9.7 of the original starting unit (Murray, DeRozan, Aldridge, Forbes and Trey Lyles).
    Hmm, so both starting lineups with personnel changes are almost equally as bad, you say? Wait, not every player in the SL was switched out? Yeah, that must just be a coincidence then... Weird!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is becoming both the best and worst coach the Spurs ever had.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The coach is hurting the Spurs. Uncles hurt the Spurs. A lot of players on the team are hurting the Spurs, but Derrick White is not one of those. He's not performing like last year, but he's still one of the better players on the team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming this is the first part of a 15 part article series?

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popovich is hurting the Spurs. This is not hard at all.

Imagine keeping the most dynamic two-way player on the roster chained to the bench and pointing fingers at the players. ing dumb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Technically this is part 5, already did Pop, DeRozan, Murray, Poeltl and now White, also did the tear-down article too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is becoming both the best and worst coach the Spurs ever had.
    Someone on Spurs Reddit- normally not the best place for Spurs takes- made the point that Pop is making a poorly built roster worst with his coaching.

He cost the Spurs the Cleveland game, and probably atleast half a dozen games already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will be interesting for White today. No Devin Booker to contend with so will he get aggressive and score more?

The prop bet on White for scoring is Over/Under 9.5 points

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone on Spurs Reddit- normally not the best place for Spurs takes- made the point that Pop is making a poorly built roster worst with his coaching.

He cost the Spurs the Cleveland game, and probably atleast half a dozen games already.
    But it has made Walker a better player according to TimVP and other sniffers

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team is in complete disarray. The roster has three of the worst defenders in the league getting prominent minutes. The two "stars" on offense are iso-heavy, and moody. Bryn Forbes is a "dot" - a one-dimensional figure. That leaves White and Poeltl/Lyles in the SL trying to play basketball. I think that singling White out as the thing hurting this team is a bit of a stretch. He's still young, and he's supposed to be developing at this stage. I would love to hear an explanation of how he's supposed to do that in this show of a roster, with a coach that appears to have Alzheimer's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team is in complete disarray. The roster has three of the worst defenders in the league getting prominent minutes. The two "stars" on offense are iso-heavy, and moody. Bryn Forbes is a "dot" - a one-dimensional figure. That leaves White and Poeltl/Lyles in the SL trying to play basketball. I think that singling White out as the thing hurting this team is a bit of a stretch. He's still young, and he's supposed to be developing at this stage. I would love to hear an explanation of how he's supposed to do that in this show of a roster, with a coach that appears to have Alzheimer's.
    It's worth mentioning that Mills grades out significantly better in a number of the stats that I used in the article.

White isn't the sole reason why the Spurs are struggling but he certainly isn't helping.

Perfect example is that he's shooting about the same amount of shots at the rim as last season but is shooting 12% worse, his assist rate is down too. His defensive metrics have been outright bad too- even for this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But it has made Walker a better player according to TimVP and other sniffers
    To be fair to Pop, Walker's defense is noticeably better. He's staying in front of his man and getting a hand up, that's definitely not something he was doing earlier.

He needs more of a leash and a lot more minutes but Pop hasn't been as inept dealing with IV as he's been overall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stan Van Gundy just said the Spurs move the ball, should be fun to watch since they don't play isolation ball....

God bless his heart

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White back to the bench

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Technically this is part 5, already did Pop, DeRozan, Murray, Poeltl and now White, also did the tear-down article too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stan Van Gundy just said the Spurs move the ball, should be fun to watch since they don't play isolation ball....

God bless his heart
    I mean, if we weren't Spurs fans, would we be watching them play, tbh?

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's worth mentioning that Mills grades out significantly better in a number of the stats that I used in the article.

White isn't the sole reason why the Spurs are struggling but he certainly isn't helping.

Perfect example is that he's shooting about the same amount of shots at the rim as last season but is shooting 12% worse, his assist rate is down too. His defensive metrics have been outright bad too- even for this team.

You're comparing stats of bench players vs. SL players. I'm not even going to discuss it. You either understand the limitations of that or you don't.

Just out of curiosity... did you happen to look at any of White's splits? Like starter vs reserve? Maybe month by month? I'm guessing you didn't. In October, when he was coming off the bench (like Mills) he had an ORTG of 142 and a DRTG of 108. As a starter, he has an ORTG of 108 and a DRTG of 116. But off the bench he has an ORTG of 118 and a DRTG of 114. Since you aren't weighing in the fact that Mills is playing against bench players, I guess we'll just ignore that for White too?

Have you noticed whether Aldridge's numbers are off from last year, and from the rest of his career? Have you noticed Rudy Gay's shot chart compared to last year? (Surely you've at least noticed that he's shooting .276 from 3P, on higher volume Per 36?) Have your eyes told you anything about other teams actually running their offense to go to whoever is being guarded by Forbes and Beli? Asking for a friend.

Look, I can't argue about White looking bad at times. But taking that to the conclusion that "White is hurting the team" is a step too far. The team is in disarray. The team is hurting the team. The coach is hurting the team. The fact that the team gets killed on 3-pointers every game is hurting the team. The fact that hey have three of the worst defenders in the league getting big minutes, and they can't get a stop is hurting the team. I wish White was playing better - he probably will on his next team. But at worst, he's playing down to the level of most of the rest of the team.

I appreciate the work that goes into your articles. But they can't all be gems. Maybe your intent wasn't to single out White like he's more of a problem than a dozen other things, but that's sort of where it went. I disagree with that conclusion.

Thread Information