Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Clemson wont lose Dabo to money. They might lose him to Alabama though, eventually. That's the only scenario in which I see him even entertaining the thought of leaving.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Dabo Swinney — $9,315,600
    Nick Saban — $8,857,000
    Jim Harbaugh — $7,504,000
    Jimbo Fisher — $7,500,000
    Kirby Smart — $6,871,600
    Gus Malzahn — $6,827,589
    Tom Herman — $6,750,000

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Dabo Swinney — $9,315,600
    Nick Saban — $8,857,000
    Jim Harbaugh — $7,504,000
    Jimbo Fisher — $7,500,000
    Kirby Smart — $6,871,600
    Gus Malzahn — $6,827,589
    Tom Herman — $6,750,000
    Tom Herman is a ing thief.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    And yet all that money couldn't land a Saban.
    saban wanted to be at texas..........everything was signed & delivered until mack brown derailed it.............the boosters & regents aproved of the saban deal but mack made deloss dodds veto it...............saban was telling everyone he was gone.............

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    saban wanted to be at texas..........everything was signed & delivered until mack brown derailed it.............the boosters & regents aproved of the saban deal but mack made deloss dodds veto it...............saban was telling everyone he was gone.............
    All that money..... No Saban

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    But it was Mack Brown, don’t you see? It was Mack Brown all along...

This fairytale never gets old. Jimmy Sexton is a goddamn genius.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    But it was Mack Brown, don’t you see? It was Mack Brown all along...

This fairytale never gets old. Jimmy Sexton is a goddamn genius.
    I know some people I trust that not only did he block Saban, he called all his committed recruits and told them to go elsewhere. Mack handled the termination like a little . I have no respect for him.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    I know some people I trust that not only did he block Saban, he called all his committed recruits and told them to go elsewhere. Mack handled the termination like a little . I have no respect for him.
    All that money..... Still no Saban

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    All that money..... Still no Saban
    A house divided cannot stand.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    A house divided cannot stand.
    But it's built on all that money tho.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    But it's built on all that money tho.
    I seem to remember a lot of people on various horn sites expressing their feelings that a certain big money donor should STFU about the choices Texas made in head coaches. And to think, Red was right about Charlie Strong. It was the BMDs that set us up to get Saban and Mack killed it, then he on his last recruiting class. Mack Brown was a POS for screwing over this program and leaving it worse than he found it. Then Texas screws themselves by hiring the worst AD in the history of college sports. who in turn makes a coaching hire for all the wrong reasons. Everything ended badly.

None of that changes one simple fact, Texas has the BMDs to make money no object when it comes to getting in a proven winner. Lets face it, if Dabo comes to Texas it will be because Texas money whipped the out of him, just like they tried to do with Saban. If he doesn't it's because of something other than money, because the advantages Texas has over Clemson are ridiculous. I've been to both Universities, Clemson is a beautiful University with lots of rolling hills, but much like B/CS there isn't much there outside of the University.

The point I was trying to make is, if you fire Tom Herman, you don't go out and hire another Tom Herman, this isn't a place where you learn on the job like he has had to, you hire a proven winner. You go to the best with a package that shows him we are committed to him coming to Austin and turning it into a juggernaut. If Dabo says no, it won't be because Clemson can offer him more, it will be because of some non-football related reason. Then you move onto the next candidate. Don't just assume that because he is successful at Clemson he would never leave, you make him tell you no.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Best thing not to happen to UT

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I seem to remember a lot of people on various horn sites expressing their feelings that a certain big money donor should STFU about the choices Texas made in head coaches. And to think, Red was right about Charlie Strong. It was the BMDs that set us up to get Saban and Mack killed it, then he on his last recruiting class. Mack Brown was a POS for screwing over this program and leaving it worse than he found it. Then Texas screws themselves by hiring the worst AD in the history of college sports. who in turn makes a coaching hire for all the wrong reasons. Everything ended badly.

None of that changes one simple fact, Texas has the BMDs to make money no object when it comes to getting in a proven winner. Lets face it, if Dabo comes to Texas it will be because Texas money whipped the out of him, just like they tried to do with Saban. If he doesn't it's because of something other than money, because the advantages Texas has over Clemson are ridiculous. I've been to both Universities, Clemson is a beautiful University with lots of rolling hills, but much like B/CS there isn't much there outside of the University.

The point I was trying to make is, if you fire Tom Herman, you don't go out and hire another Tom Herman, this isn't a place where you learn on the job like he has had to, you hire a proven winner. You go to the best with a package that shows him we are committed to him coming to Austin and turning it into a juggernaut. If Dabo says no, it won't be because Clemson can offer him more, it will be because of some non-football related reason. Then you move onto the next candidate. Don't just assume that because he is successful at Clemson he would never leave, you make him tell you no.
    Texas: Dabo..

Dabo: No.

Texas: Pleas..

Texas: We have...

Texas: D..

Texas: I guess we’ll go ask Ed Orgeron.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Texas: Dabo..

Texas: Pleas..

Texas: We have...

Texas: D..

Texas: I guess we’ll go ask Ed Orgeron.
    THEY'LL JUST MONEY WHIP DABO INTO SUBMISSION CUZ BMDS

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    THEY'LL JUST MONEY WHIP DABO INTO SUBMISSION CUZ BMDS
    Aggy said the same thing about Mack Brown back in 1997.

Sand aggy = regular aggy

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Sand aggy = regular aggy
    We didn’t money whip Mack. Plus, everyone wanted Gary Barnett. I didn’t see Texas going after Bobby Bowden or Tom Osborne and offering them millions. Thankfully.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count

Sand aggy = regular aggy
    Good for Aggy.

Low rent Clemson out money whipped UT. Now what?

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Good for Aggy.

I would say suffering.

Better than having to look at and listen to Nick Satin.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Good for Aggy.

Has Texas gone after Dabo? Did playblair take over your account?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    We didn’t money whip Mack. Plus, everyone wanted Gary Barnett. I didn’t see Texas going after Bobby Bowden or Tom Osborne and offering them millions. Thankfully.
    That is revisionist history. We had a committee of BMDs they wanted Mack, Deloss wanted Barnett, BMDs met with Mack and and told Deloss to meet with him, he did and offered him the job. The only person that wanted Barnett was Deloss. What makes you think we didn't money whip Mack. His original contract was the average of the two highest paid coaches at the time. 5 million back in 97 was a huge contract for a coach.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    That is revisionist history. We had a committee of BMDs they wanted Mack, Deloss wanted Barnett, BMDs met with Mack and and told Deloss to meet with him, he did and offered him the job. The only person that wanted Barnett was Deloss. What makes you think we didn't money whip Mack. His original contract was the average of the two highest paid coaches at the time. 5 million back in 97 was a huge contract for a coach.
    Lol, they weren’t paying him $5 million a season in 1998! A simple internet search would show that they paid him $750,000 in 1998. It went up to a $1 million the next season. They didn’t pay him $5 million until 2009 when hit the fan and everyone ed about a coach getting paid that much during cutbacks. Also, Tom Hicks really wanted Mack Brown. I wouldn’t say all the donors at the time were completely enamored with him. He definitely won them over though.

Here’s an article on salaries at the time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-2f4d43def093/

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Has Texas gone after Dabo? Did playblair take over your account?
    Well no, Texas hasn't gone after Dabo because they can't out money whip Clemson at the moment.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Lol Texas couldn't even outwhip SoCal to keep Harrell in Texas.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Well no, Texas hasn't gone after Dabo because they can't out money whip Clemson at the moment.
    When you say like this you lose all credibility. Texas isn't in a search mode for a new coach, or maybe you didn't see that we still have a head coach. Now I'm starting to think playblair is your sock.

Lol Texas couldn't even outwhip SoCal to keep Harrell in Texas.

Did we try? All we did was interview him, did you ever think we might not wanted him? There was not a single article that we offered him a contract and he turned it down, and even if there was, more than likely it had more to do with other demands he asked for that Texas was unwilling to give him.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Lol, they weren’t paying him $5 million a season in 1998! A simple internet search would show that they paid him $750,000 in 1998. It went up to a $1 million the next season. They didn’t pay him $5 million until 2009 when hit the fan and everyone ed about a coach getting paid that much during cutbacks. Also, Tom Hicks really wanted Mack Brown. I wouldn’t say all the donors at the time were completely enamored with him. He definitely won them over though.

Here’s an article on salaries at the time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-2f4d43def093/
    Thanks for posting the article. One of the following contracts was written to be the average of the top two head coaches at the time. I thought it was the first one. I didn't say all the BMDs wanted Mack, I said a search committee was formed and that committee was enamored with Mack. I believe the committee was made up of about 5 people. Hicks was one of them.

Here is an article on the hiring of Mack

https://www.hookem.com/story/daily-l...y-1997-season/

Thread Information