Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just barely getting back into video games (a bit).

I don't know much about the last decade outside of name recognition.

You guys can name them by year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

i had to look up major releases for each year to remember what came out when tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i had to look up major releases for each year to remember what came out when tbh
    Same... was looking on wikipedia.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2010: Call of Duty: Black Ops
    2011: Portal 2
    2012: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
    2013: GTA V
    2014: going to cheat and say The Last of Us: Remastered
    2015: Bloodborne
    2016: Uncharted 4
    2017: Horizon: Zero Dawn
    2018: God of War
    2019: havent played any 2019 releases tbh
    Portal 2 is one of my all time favs. Fun, immersive, and well-written.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You should watch Zero Punctuation reviews. Dude is funny.

He does this for a living, so he tends to have pretty spot on takes for how mechanics and other elements fit together.

Steam does a mildly good job of allowing previews and so forth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portal 2 is one of my all time favs. Fun, immersive, and well-written.
    oh yeah. i mean they took a simple puzzle game and wrote it into having an actually compelling and entertaining plot. that game is a masterpiece

2010: Call of Duty: Black Ops
    2011: Portal 2
    2012: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
    2013: GTA V
    2014: going to cheat and say The Last of Us: Remastered
    2015: Bloodborne
    2016: Uncharted 4
    2017: Horizon: Zero Dawn
    2018: God of War
    2019: havent played any 2019 releases tbh
    nier automata giving this a run for its money. theres pros and cons for each game. horizon had a strong story that was pretty big in scope (i cared a lot less about the crap between tribes, but learning the backstory to what happened was fascinating), but nier's is more compelling tbh.

horizon's enemy design and combat was much better. trip wires, elemental attacks, weak points, etc etc.

aloy was a boring mary sue... while the androids are really complex.

i think nier's game and world design is much more imaginative though. horizon definitely looks better on the micro scale, graphically, with small details like grass movement, etc, but it was all just wilderness. areas like the amusement park, the city ruins... much cooler overall. on overall game design, horizon felt more cookie cutter (even though it was great, and the tallneck towers were ing outstanding), while nier was more innovative with blending genres. even when the camera shifts from dynamic to a static overhead shot was a really fun concept early in the game which i appreciated.

will probably have to let these sink in more at the risk of recency bias, but i've been very impressed with nier despite its combat being lackluster

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh yeah. i mean they took a simple puzzle game and wrote it into having an actually compelling and entertaining plot. that game is a masterpiece

nier automata giving this a run for its money. theres pros and cons for each game. horizon had a strong story that was pretty big in scope (i cared a lot less about the crap between tribes, but learning the backstory to what happened was fascinating), but nier's is more compelling tbh.

horizon's enemy design and combat was much better. trip wires, elemental attacks, weak points, etc etc.

aloy was a boring mary sue... while the androids are really complex.

i think nier's game and world design is much more imaginative though. horizon definitely looks better on the micro scale, graphically, with small details like grass movement, etc, but it was all just wilderness. areas like the amusement park, the city ruins... much cooler overall. on overall game design, horizon felt more cookie cutter (even though it was great, and the tallneck towers were ing outstanding), while nier was more innovative with blending genres. even when the camera shifts from dynamic to a static overhead shot was a really fun concept early in the game which i appreciated.

will probably have to let these sink in more at the risk of recency bias, but i've been very impressed with nier despite its combat being lackluster
    Which playthrough did you last complete?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which playthrough did you last complete?
    i completed ending B

im currently somewhere in the middle of my 3rd playthrough. i initially chose 2A... and i think i exhausted all her missions (ending with pascal) because it forced me to hop back to 9S, which i just started

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i completed ending B

im currently somewhere in the middle of my 3rd playthrough. i initially chose 2A... and i think i exhausted all her missions (ending with pascal) because it forced me to hop back to 9S, which i just started
    Nice, I love the storyline after Ending B. If you're ever interested in the backstory the first Nier on PS3 is pretty ing compelling. Though it's kind of poor graphically and the combat is much better in Automata. It has been a cult hit for years but was definitely a commercial failure, so you won't find it in the $5 bargain bin unless the seller doesn't know what he has. It has a really interesting story about Emil, who just seems like a clown in Automata, but who is actually a really interesting character in the first Nier. So much so that I hope they do another Nier that takes place in the time period between Nier and NieR Automata where you play as Emil. It wouldn't surprise me to see that because Yoko Taro wore an Emil mask for years for all public appearances. Speaking of Yoko Taro and his Emil mask, here is a hilarious talk he gave to Atlus (who makes Persona) right before the launch of Automata.

Thread Information