Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh.... a sub 500 team in the playoffs doesn't really count in my opinion. Its basically Philly pre tank. Barely a play off team stuck in mediocrity.
    Do you count the NBA champions where there were between 8-12 teams? when there were 8 teams they had a 12.5% chance of winning. This is also when the other 22 playoff game streak was set. I dont know how many teams made the PO but I bet their chance to make the PO were easier then ours.

That being said. when looking back most people wont remember what the record was they will just see that we have it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So people are thinking the Spurs ought to miss the playoffs for a better chance to draft... LaMelo Ball.

Or whoever. The point being, this does not project as a strong draft class. There may not be a dramatic difference between the #5 pick and the #20 pick, this time around. Or even #1 and #21.

Maybe things will change as the season continues. Maybe a few players will emerge as sure-thing prospects. It hasn't happened yet.

It's much better, this year, to go for the playoffs. A little more hotel business, and restaurant business. City tax revenue. A couple more tv appearances. Some more playoff experience for the youngsters. That's better than a draft where it looks like any of the picks the Spurs could get will be an Austin project for two years.

But what of those who say, "Oh, woe is me! If the Spurs lose in the first round, I shall be so humiliated and despondent that I shall surely swoon! Oh, woe!"

What of them?

Rub some dirt on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From competing for the championship every year to celebrating even making the playoffs. How far we’ve fallen

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never said anywhere that I want the Spurs to tank. I said before the season they should keep it going. I even said during the losing stretch that this team could still be a playoff team if the senile headcoach would play the right rotations. I troll Pop a lot, because he's considered the GOAT coach, but does a lot of dumb no other coach would do. That doesn't mean that I don't want the team to succeed. I'm very optimistic about the changed offense and think that it will have a major positive effect on the team. They are already playing better and the games they lost were close losses where they had a chance to win, besides the Clippers game. I think 7th seed is the ceiling of this squad.

Also consider this: In the last 4 weeks the Spurs have the 6th best defense in the league

I've been reading your posts about the improved offense - I'm just giving you .

I don't think that wanting the Spurs to tank is the same as not wanting them to succeed. Personally, I think that a 7 seed and first round exit is the worst of all worlds for the future of the team. It's because I want them to succeed that I don't want to see that. But for all of Pop's talk over the years about how he doesn't care about records, he sure as is coaching like setting that playoff appearance record is the big goal.

The defense? They beat the Clippers that one game, when Kawhi and George shot a combined 10-35 or something like that. I'm not sure I'd chalk that up to some sort of improved defense since the next game they gave up 132 to the damn Pistons in regulation. And the next time they faced the Clippers, they put up something like 135. But if Pop will keep that Italian off the court, and minimize Forbes, I think it will bring an automatic improvement on the defensive end. (It's pretty amazing that Pop could spot something that nobody else in the country recognized, and it only took 30 games to do it.)

If the Spurs make some kind of great trade that includes next year's draft pick, then I'll be fine rooting for them to make the playoffs, even if it's 7 or 8 seed and a first round exit - because it won't matter. So long as they don't have Beli on the team next year, or Forbes in the SL with DeRozan, it will be an improvement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better than the Cowboys

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    very weird seeing a team so below .500 being the 8th seed in the west.

nurkic and zion injuries helping the spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    very weird seeing a team so below .500 being the 8th seed in the west.

nurkic and zion injuries helping the spurs.
    And favors/Ball. The pelicans are a different team when they have favors.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This franchise can't catch a break in the past half decade. The latest proof: They're terrible and in desperate need of a re-tooling/re-build and high pick, so of course this is the year where the bottom has dropped out of the middle of the West, making it almost impossible to not "be in the hunt" for a playoff spot.

Instead of them rightfully being put out of their misery, we get to suffer them continuing to meander along, likely unchanged and either fall ass backwards into a s acking at the hands of an L.A. team (with their luck, probably S bag's) or end up with a late lottery pick.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That January/February schedule is going to kill any dream of the playoffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    37-45 season record, by looking at the rest of the schedule. When was the last time 37 win teame made a post season?

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sooner or later the Spurs are going to have to get into the lottery to get high draft picks to load the team with potential star talent. They are not getting it in free agency or with trades. The Spurs build through the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    37-45 season record, by looking at the rest of the schedule. When was the last time 37 win teame made a post season?

85'86 bulls won 30 games and got in,tbh and nets recently with 38
    Last edited by slick'81; 12-31-2019 at 06:15 PM. Reason: U

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Losing in the 1st Round with Pops Pets would be continued waste of time, resources and a further regression.

Losing a compe ive 1st Round with the Youngins ballin, White, DJ, IV with Pets only getting support time and pulled the f out if they are sucking would be a good ending to this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guests... @tlong

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excluding injuries, I agree. Will probably end up with 34-37 wins this season.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SMH Chris Paul by himself is basically better than this Spurs team.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excluding injuries, I agree. Will probably end up with 34-37 wins this season.
    If we're not gonna play IV his minutes, you're probably right, sadly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs losing to Warriors tomorrow will be on par with how this season has been playing out
    rofl

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dubs tonight: "Thanks for helping us get a better draft pick while you guys get ed by LeBron or Load Management in Rd. 1...and oh yeah, we'll get back to ing you guys again when Curry and Thompson are back next season!"

Spurs fan: "But...but..8th seed!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dubs tonight: "Thanks for helping us get a better draft pick while you guys get ed by LeBron or Load Management in Rd. 1...and oh yeah, we'll get back to ing you guys again when Curry and Thompson are back next season!"

Spurs fan: "But...but..8th seed!"

Bbbb but weak draft why bother!?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SMH Chris Paul by himself is basically better than this Spurs team.
    Paul has the ability to make his teammates better. There isnt one player on the spurs that can elevate his teammates play

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're number eight! We're number eight!

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paul has the ability to make his teammates better. There isnt one player on the spurs that can elevate his teammates play
    I don't think it's even so much that. It's just game management that we aren't getting with lesser than midgets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Denver nuggets as a 8 seed once did damage

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're number eight! We're number eight!
    Not bad considering we were like 14th a week and half ago.

Thread Information