Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we are going to jump higher and take that 6th seed.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I kinda hope we get higher than 8th seed. That means we have to play Lakers in first round. I don't Lebron to improve his playoff record against us.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those okc bas s won another game they should've lost

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For us to take 6 seed, means that mavs or Jazz have to seriously fall of the cliff and go like 15-34 for the rest of the season. I dont think that is possible. If those teams plays the reminder of the season around 0.500, that means that Spurs need to go for at least 32 wins of reminding 50 games. 32-18 isnt realistic, so 6 seed is a tall order for us.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next seven games with bucks x2 Celtics Raptors heat Okc and Memphis Will show if we can go higher

Imo it will depends on pop for the big part.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that, tank

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We going to come crashing down to earth the next seven games if we can win games on the road will truly show us what this team and coaches are really made off

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How the is this even possible?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portland is pretty mediocre to bad, and has eight of their next ten on the road.

Lots of teams with around 20 losses, so if one goes on a bit of a run, they could easily keep pace or pass the Spurs. But none of them are necessarily really well positioned to do that. Maybe New Orleans if everyone gets healthy.

Thunder have a nice starting five, so could hold in there if they move pieces for a sixth man type.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's amazing how many folks think the smart thing is to tank. How many teams were ruined because they waited too long to blow it up? The closest example to this was Memphis when they kept pounding the rock with Gasol and Randolph. Yet multiple fans have been creaming themselves over the Grizz' young players. They just started tanking two years ago. How did waiting hurt them? Even Philly, the team that gets pointed to the most for why tanking works (though it doesn't) spent years as a middling team that not only didn't really have assets but actually owed two first-round picks to other teams. It's never too late to tank. You can keep trying for the playoffs as long as you want, try to win to send off a coach or player in whatever fashion, try to raise your guys in a winning environment. It doesn't matter. Where you start in a tank doesn't matter, because the team's best assets are almost certainly going to be their natural picks they get from being bad, and almost any other asset they could get pre-tank can be replicated making tanking trades.

So shut up, basically. They don't need to get ty assets for guys. They aren't hurting their future if the tank starts now or in five years. If people thought the next Lebron were in the draft or thought a great class were coming up, then I could understand the urgency. But the desire to become a horrible team without any reason to believe they'll climb out of the basement anytime soon is dumb. It'll make sense one day (and maybe soon), but it's easy to see why the Spurs wouldn't be in a rush to be a bottom-feeder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The last wins are irrelevant until Spurs beat some good teams playing good defense. Grizzlies, Pistons, Warriors aren't quality wins so Thunder and Bucks will be the real tests. Should the Spurs play good D and manage to win one or two of them, then we can start considering playoff contention worth it.

It's hard to take the recent wins seriously when Brynn Forbes keeps starting, shooting a lot and even closing games. Our PGs are looking slightly better, specially Murray but they aren't solid enough yet: too many turnovers and defensive mistakes.

Regarding the offense, IMO Aldridge shooting more 3s is not the point. I mean, I'm fine with it but LA playing behind the 3pt line doesn't necessarily helps the team. Yesterday, Popovich could have closed the game way before the overtime just giving the ball to Aldridge in the block in front of Chriss. Instead, Mills had to force the switch so DeRozan could play 1on1 avoiding Draymond Green's match-up. DeMarr did a of a job scoring every single time but Spurs were lucky Kerr didn't come up with a collective answer in any of the 5 consecutive posessions Spurs went to DeRozan. They did in the overtime and Murray came to the rescue.

Spurs shouldn't give up posting up with Aldridge when he has a good match up. Pop should mix up our best options: LA post up, DeRozan frontal 1on1, screening for Mills 3pt shot, PG+Aldridge P&Pop, DeRozan post up.... Anyway, offense is fine, the focus should be on getting stops.

Popovich is closing some games with units that hardly can get a stop. Not even securing the rebound when the opponent misses a shot. I don't understand why Forbes is on the court when the team needs to play defense. In the other hand, Murray is the only guard that is making defensive plays regularly. White is hurt or whatever, and there is no big difference in the other side of the court so DJ has to play the PG. He's gaining self confidence again, and overtime good play will be a boost.

8th, 7th, 13th seed? I don't care. First of all:
    - Murray on the court playing hard and focused.
    - Improve team defense White playing the defense he showed last season.
    - Reduce Forbes' role. Give some minutes to the pinneaple hairdo kid, he deserves it.
    - Get the most of your offense mixing up your best options.

Give me that and then I'll start looking at the standings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pretty much agree with all of the above

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portland just gave the Spurs a solid and lost to the Knicks lol

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many teams were ruined because they waited too long to blow it up?
    I give up... how many?

So shut up, basically.

Shut up? Is there something you're afraid of hearing? I got a better idea. How about off. You know, basically.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What exactly are the players on this team...the people in the front office...and toe coaching staff going to learn when we are the 8th seed and lose in the 1st round for the third year in a row?

Like how do the Spurs benefit more from having Lonnie Walker be on a 8th seed team and lose in the playoffs vs the Spurs not making the playoffs and getting a higher draft pick which gives them a better opportunity to pair Lonnie Walker with a better player?

Who is the free agent that is looking at the spurs and saying "well if they don't make the playoffs I don't want to play there but if they make the playoffs as the 8th seed I do want to play there?"

What real basketball benefit is there to making the playoffs that outweighs the basketball benefit of selecting higher in the draft by being a bad team?

Team should have gone into rebuild mode when they traded Kawhi and didn't...

Team should have been traded LMA and DDR and Gay and didn't...

But I guess some spurs fans are happy watching the lakers or clippers blow this teams asshole open 4 out of 5 games so...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What exactly are the players on this team...the people in the front office...and toe coaching staff going to learn when we are the 8th seed and lose in the 1st round for the third year in a row?

Like how do the Spurs benefit more from having Lonnie Walker be on a 8th seed team and lose in the playoffs vs the Spurs not making the playoffs and getting a higher draft pick which gives them a better opportunity to pair Lonnie Walker with a better player?

Who is the free agent that is looking at the spurs and saying "well if they don't make the playoffs I don't want to play there but if they make the playoffs as the 8th seed I do want to play there?"

What real basketball benefit is there to making the playoffs that outweighs the basketball benefit of selecting higher in the draft by being a bad team?

Team should have gone into rebuild mode when they traded Kawhi and didn't...

Team should have been traded LMA and DDR and Gay and didn't...

But I guess some spurs fans are happy watching the lakers or clippers blow this teams asshole open 4 out of 5 games so...
    obviously the only benefit is gaining sole possession of the longest playoff winning streak in nba history. You’re right on everything else. But that streak is more important to some then delaying the rebuild.

BTW, funny name.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I give up... how many?

Shut up? Is there something you're afraid of hearing? I got a better idea. How about off. You know, basically.
    Bro you're coming off as having not read what I wrote yet still feeling the need to respond viscerally to it. I answered the question I posed in that same post. Nobody is ruined by waiting too long to tank. Doesn't matter if you agree with that assertion or not. That question was addressed.

So yeah, shut up. You're not a bad poster by any means, but you have an awful habit at taking regular discourse but being unable to remain civil with folks who disagree with you. Getting randomly hostile doesn't make you seem cool or tough. It jus overshadows that you bring good points much of the time and care enough to do a bit of research.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bro you're coming off as having not read what I wrote yet still feeling the need to respond viscerally to it. I answered the question I posed in that same post. Nobody is ruined by waiting too long to tank. Doesn't matter if you agree with that assertion or not. That question was addressed.
    So you don't know how many, either? Maybe if you cared enough to do a bit of research.

but you have an awful habit at taking regular discourse but being unable to remain civil with folks who disagree with you. Getting randomly hostile doesn't make you seem cool or tough. It jus overshadows that you bring good points much of the time and care enough to do a bit of research.

You mean like telling them to shut up, because you don't like what they're saying?

There's nothing random about me, "bro". You'll find that I tend to not remain civil with people who aren't civil. There are people here who I disagree with - I see their point, but we agree to disagree. You constantly try to bully people here, including some of the most knowledgeable people on the site. And you're one of those jackasses who ALWAYS have to have the last word. On everything.

Life is like a bowl of chili. Sometimes you have to stir things up to keep the s from rising to the top.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's amazing how many folks think the smart thing is to tank. How many teams were ruined because they waited too long to blow it up? The closest example to this was Memphis when they kept pounding the rock with Gasol and Randolph. Yet multiple fans have been creaming themselves over the Grizz' young players. They just started tanking two years ago. How did waiting hurt them? Even Philly, the team that gets pointed to the most for why tanking works (though it doesn't) spent years as a middling team that not only didn't really have assets but actually owed two first-round picks to other teams. It's never too late to tank. You can keep trying for the playoffs as long as you want, try to win to send off a coach or player in whatever fashion, try to raise your guys in a winning environment. It doesn't matter. Where you start in a tank doesn't matter, because the team's best assets are almost certainly going to be their natural picks they get from being bad, and almost any other asset they could get pre-tank can be replicated making tanking trades.

So shut up, basically. They don't need to get ty assets for guys. They aren't hurting their future if the tank starts now or in five years. If people thought the next Lebron were in the draft or thought a great class were coming up, then I could understand the urgency. But the desire to become a horrible team without any reason to believe they'll climb out of the basement anytime soon is dumb. It'll make sense one day (and maybe soon), but it's easy to see why the Spurs wouldn't be in a rush to be a bottom-feeder.
    They are already pretty horrible. So telling people to shut up when using a sub .500 team as an example of something to cling to is quite....odd.

There really isn’t a difference in being a team that can win 37-40 games and a team that can win 25. There just isn’t.

I don’t speak for everyone, but I don’t think SA can get amazing assets for DeRozan/LMA, but if they can get POSITIVE assets, especially for DeRozan that they don’t want to keep and don’t control, that is just good GM’ing.

Would it kill or really hurt SA if DeRozan walks for nothing? No. But it also doesn’t help and you keep leaving that logic out of your argument.

Plenty of teams trade guys they know they don’t want to pay before they hit FA. It’s not some odd thought or loser mentality; it’s good business especially when you already have a crappy team. I am fine waiting until end of January to decide too. I wanted something done early in the season if they were actually dedicated to being something serious, but it’s obvious and clear they are fine just coasting with no real ceiling.

So if they aren’t willing to invest into winning, then see how January goes and be ready to pull that trigger if the team still has a losing record.

Your mindset is akin to the money mattress stuffers. Sure, by stuffing your money in the mattress, you aren’t “losing” anything. You are losing buying power and the ability to grow that money, but you will still have “some” buying power with that money in the mattress.

That doesn’t make it a good financial decision however.
    Last edited by DPG21920; 01-02-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How the is this even possible?
    Playing .500 ball for a month and moving up in the standings is about as close to backing into the playoffs as you can get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you don't know how many, either? Maybe if you cared enough to do a bit of research.

You mean like telling them to shut up, because you don't like what they're saying?

There's nothing random about me, "bro". You'll find that I tend to not remain civil with people who aren't civil. There are people here who I disagree with - I see their point, but we agree to disagree. You constantly try to bully people here, including some of the most knowledgeable people on the site. And you're one of those jackasses who ALWAYS have to have the last word. On everything.

Life is like a bowl of chili. Sometimes you have to stir things up to keep the s from rising to the top.
    You calling someone arrogant while painting yourself as some vigilante against the "s " of ST is rich. The reason why I suggested you shut up is exactly this. You are trying to argue that I should give you a list of teams hurt by waiting when my assertion is that there are no teams on that list. You can think there are teams on teams on that list. But trying to shift that burden on me is dumb. It's not even asking me to prove a negative.

And no, you aren't civil unless folks agree. That you don't own that explains why you always come off as being less mature than you are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are already pretty horrible. So telling people to shut up when using a sub .500 team as an example of something to cling to is quite....odd.

There really isn’t a difference in being a team that can win 37-40 games and a team that can win 25. There just isn’t.

I don’t speak for everyone, but I don’t think SA can get amazing assets for DeRozan/LMA, but if they can get POSITIVE assets, especially for DeRozan that they don’t want to keep and don’t control, that is just good GM’ing.

Would it kill or really hurt SA if DeRozan walks for nothing? No. But it also doesn’t help and you keep leaving that logic out of your argument.

Plenty of teams trade guys they know they don’t want to pay before they hit FA. It’s not some odd thought or loser mentality; it’s good business especially when you already have a crappy team. I am fine waiting until end of January to decide too. I wanted something done early in the season if they were actually dedicated to being something serious, but it’s obvious and clear they are fine just coasting with no real ceiling.

So if they aren’t willing to invest into winning, then see how January goes and be ready to pull that trigger if the team still has a losing record.

Your mindset is akin to the money mattress stuffers. Sure, by stuffing your money in the mattress, you aren’t “losing” anything. You are losing buying power and the ability to grow that money, but you will still have “some” buying power with that money in the mattress.

That doesn’t make it a good financial decision however.
    If you were to tell me that LMA and/or DMDR can fetch a foundational player, then I could agree. But their future doesn't depend on getting low picks or middling assets rather than fighting to sneak into the eight-seed. Maybe DeRozan can bring back a Brandon Clarke, but the Jackson Jrs and Morants would only come from their own bad records (outside of Billy King getting another GM job). With no one claiming that this draft has any real importance, no one's given a legit reason to prioritize it.

I get you think an asset is better than nothing. But the Spurs value their guys for their present value and always has. You don't value backing into the post season. PatFO certainly seems to and doesn't care about a couple of seconds. I totally get them just playing this out of they're still the likely eighth seed (or better) through the deadline. You don't seem to. That's fine. The part that I consider less fine is overselling the opportunity cost of not making trades this season. I don't think you're doing that here. The opportunity cost does exist. But you didn't really hold the views I was railing against anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you were to tell me that LMA and/or DMDR can fetch a foundational player, then I could agree. But their future doesn't depend on getting low picks or middling assets rather than fighting to sneak into the eight-seed. Maybe DeRozan can bring back a Brandon Clarke, but the Jackson Jrs and Morants would only come from their own bad records (outside of Billy King getting another GM job). With no one claiming that this draft has any real importance, no one's given a legit reason to prioritize it.

I get you think an asset is better than nothing. But the Spurs value their guys for their present value and always has. You don't value backing into the post season. PatFO certainly seems to and doesn't care about a couple of seconds. I totally get them just playing this out of they're still the likely eighth seed (or better) through the deadline. You don't seem to. That's fine. The part that I consider less fine is overselling the opportunity cost of not making trades this season. I don't think you're doing that here. The opportunity cost does exist. But you didn't really hold the views I was railing against anyway.
    For sure - I do think there are OC as you mentioned, but yeah, I don’t hold out the hope that getting a late first guarantees anything. If SA has a bad January and a losing record though? I do want them to move on. More because it’s not a healthy environment pushing for the chance to get destroyed with no investment into actual winning.

AT that point, it’s counterproductive even if it’s not totally toxic. I, for a long time, did value present value and win-building. But this team isn’t winning any more so it changed my thinking.

If they click and start winning games sustainably? Ok. It will change my thinking. I just don’t see it happening and I want this team to get out of neutral and pick a lane. Either go for it or go the other way.

I’m tried of neutral and it’s catching up to the Spurs now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    first off, i dont think the team should tank. i think you can rebuild with the pieces you have. murray/walker/white/luka/poodle/keldon is an decent collection of young talent that could develop. nothing stops us from continuing to draft good players in the teens or 20's of drafts like we had done for years. i dont think "blowing it up" for draft picks is the way to go. i do think trading derozan (who isnt very compatible with those young guys) for somebody who would be, like an aaron gordon, is a worthwhile move

however, with respect to chinook's question of "whats the harm in waiting to tank"... its wasting those interim years. lets assume the theory is that if you decide to tank, your team will be compe ive in, say, 3 years.

if that theory were correct, and we start tanking now, we'd theoretically ac ulate talent to the point were the spurs would be compe ive by 2022-2023.

if the spurs try to stay the course, keep derozan/lma, etc, and then start tanking in 2 years... then the idea is that we wasted 2019-2021 fielding a roster that couldnt win. then the tank would begin in 2021-2022 and the process has delayed such that the team would only be compe ive by 2025 or so.

so route A has the team competing by 2022, while route B has the team being noncompe ive until 2025. there's your harm.

but that all assumes tanking works

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm against the tank, but what pisses me off the most is that PATFO is not picking a direction. Either you blow it up and tank or if you want to keep making the playoffs, make a trade to improve this garbage-ass roster. Forbes and Lyles are not starters, Beli and Carroll are out of the rotation. Move some of those pieces to get a real starter, attach a 2nd-rounder to that package. Do something

Thread Information