Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm against the tank, but what pisses me off the most is that PATFO is not picking a direction. Either you blow it up and tank or if you want to keep making the playoffs, make a trade to improve this garbage-ass roster. Forbes and Lyles are not starters, Beli and Carroll are out of the rotation. Move some of those pieces to get a real starter, attach a 2nd-rounder to that package. Do something
    Agree. This is what is frustrating for fans.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you were to tell me that LMA and/or DMDR can fetch a foundational player, then I could agree. But their future doesn't depend on getting low picks or middling assets rather than fighting to sneak into the eight-seed. Maybe DeRozan can bring back a Brandon Clarke, but the Jackson Jrs and Morants would only come from their own bad records (outside of Billy King getting another GM job). With no one claiming that this draft has any real importance, no one's given a legit reason to prioritize it.

I get you think an asset is better than nothing. But the Spurs value their guys for their present value and always has. You don't value backing into the post season. PatFO certainly seems to and doesn't care about a couple of seconds. I totally get them just playing this out of they're still the likely eighth seed (or better) through the deadline. You don't seem to. That's fine. The part that I consider less fine is overselling the opportunity cost of not making trades this season. I don't think you're doing that here. The opportunity cost does exist. But you didn't really hold the views I was railing against anyway.
    This is short sighted thinking. Parker, Ginobili, S bag, Butler, Antetokounmpo, Gobert, Jokic, Siakam, etc. were all non lottery picks. Sure, it's unlikely to draft those types at that point, but that's the point: draft picks are essentially lottery tickets and when you're about to enter a re-build, you need as many as possible.

If this team had a reasonably high ceiling, I'd get forgoing that, but anyone who's not delusional realizes they're the an hesis of that.

They can and more than likely will further delay the inevitable by waiting until after the season to purge this roster, but that's risky too because at anyone point, someone could suffer a career altering injury and torpedo their value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thread le reminds me of Semi Pro where they were celebrating 4th place

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pick a lane: Compete for the chip or compete for those ping pong balls, but don't settle on NBA purgatory. Make a move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    obviously the only benefit is gaining sole possession of the longest playoff winning streak in nba history. ...

Some of you guys live in a total vacuum.

You ever heard of hotel room rentals? You ever heard of restaurant meal sales? You ever heard of car rentals? You ever heard of city tax revenue? Etc. You ever heard of any of that?

Apparently not. You're like little babies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You ever heard of hotel room rentals? You ever heard of restaurant meal sales? You ever heard of car rentals? You ever heard of city tax revenue? Etc. You ever heard of any of that?

Dang, someone has some sense here. It's a miracle!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is just ridiculousness. I was talking from a basketball perspective. The adults would understand that.

Ok so the community gets 2 more home games. Yay.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What exactly are the players on this team...the people in the front office...and toe coaching staff going to learn when we are the 8th seed and lose in the 1st round for the third year in a row?

Like how do the Spurs benefit more from having Lonnie Walker be on a 8th seed team and lose in the playoffs vs the Spurs not making the playoffs and getting a higher draft pick which gives them a better opportunity to pair Lonnie Walker with a better player?

Who is the free agent that is looking at the spurs and saying "well if they don't make the playoffs I don't want to play there but if they make the playoffs as the 8th seed I do want to play there?"

What real basketball benefit is there to making the playoffs that outweighs the basketball benefit of selecting higher in the draft by being a bad team?

Team should have gone into rebuild mode when they traded Kawhi and didn't...

Team should have been traded LMA and DDR and Gay and didn't...

But I guess some spurs fans are happy watching the lakers or clippers blow this teams asshole open 4 out of 5 games so...
    You know that the same question can also be ask ,who we can draft that transform this team immediately into a le contender?

There so many teams trying to rebuild through draft where had it gotten them? The Suns, the Knicks, the Kings, the Wolves even those who napped the so call "generational talents" of AD (Pelicans), Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid (76ers) and Blake Griffen (Clippers) even the Celtics (who everyone is saying fleeced the Nets for multiple picks) do not even have a Conference Champion between them.

Not every draft are equal just let things play out and see what happens, the last time the Spurs decided to tank and get a lottery pick it brought us the franchise player, the other time when they decided to do something and draft early, it brought us a championship and probably a future HOF player. So let's just trust PAFTO to determine which year we should tank.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pick a lane: Compete for the chip or compete for those ping pong balls, but don't settle on NBA purgatory. Make a move.
    The Spurs are competing to play extra games in the post season and to fill some seats. People will watch a team that's seeded before watching the same team that's tanking.

I don't think the Spurs get better in the lottery, but during the RS moves or free agent signings assuming anyone is about to retire and needs a warm, dry area.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're exactly where we belong sixth seed unrealistic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything underneath OKC is ing trash. The 8th seed is like getting a participation award while not getting a lotto pick. Of course this team will stumble into it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything underneath OKC is ing trash. The 8th seed is like getting a participation award while not getting a lotto pick. Of course this team will stumble into it.
    Pretty much

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every lotto pick after about #3 is trash for at least 3 years, so I'll take that participation award.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every lotto pick after about #3 is trash for at least 3 years, so I'll take that participation award.
    Meh, I'll take a better shot at landing a Jaren Jackson, Trae Young, SGA, etc. over getting our pushed in by the Lakers for 4 games.

Not sure why the Sniffers want a meaningless playoff streak...they only show that graphic the once/twice a year the Spurs are on national TV

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, I'll take a better shot at landing a Jaren Jackson, Trae Young, SGA, etc. over getting our pushed in by the Lakers for 4 games.

Not sure why the Sniffers want a meaningless playoff streak...they only show that graphic the once/twice a year the Spurs are on national TV
    They've really flattened the lottery odds. Chances are, since the tank wasn't on from the get go, you're looking at a 15/16 pick versus maybe 12-14. I'll take the streak this year. Ask me again next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So true. Literally no one cares except a few Spurs fans.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    last night they mentioned the spurs are currently tied... but didn’t even mention the team they’re tied with

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Very true, unfortunately the draft this year is the worst in ages so not much to get either way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte, White, Walker, Poetl, etc. need to gain experience and winning is the best way to learn how to... win.

Even a 4-0 first round would be good for them and Spurs migth beat any team once at least. Before that, learning how to play well on a daily basis, competing every night, and trying to become a better player into a winning team is what you want your young players experience.

Adittionally, the playoffs are the harsher player evaluation tool. Take this roster to the playoffs and those games will tell who can play real basketball and who can't. I believe playoffs will expose Forbes, etc. and the young talents will define their position in the team jerarchy (maybe overtaking DeRozan-Aldridge).

Murray, White, Walker won't play much more minutes if the team tanks.They'll just have a worst environment to develope their game. Draft pick won't be much better than fihishing 8th either.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Back! in the saddle again!

Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs can learn to close out games and win games they should then 7th seed is definitely achievable. I don't wish injury on anyone but you never know with CP3 or anyone else on the Thunder to be honest. Seeds 2-6 are jammed pack. If one of these teams suffers a major injury or goes on a slump then it's not inconceivable for the Spurs to slide up to 6th or better.

Fact of the matter is we have played like all year and should easily have 5+ more wins. Oh well. Spurs can also stink it up and finish as bad as 12th behind the Grizzles, Suns, Blazers, and Pelicans. Anything can happen tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Compete for the record. These chances come along once in a century.

Next year...tank it away if you have to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the tank, just get the Consecutive playoff appearance streak, nice record to top off the Duncan/Pop era. Worry about the rebuild/tank when LMA and DeMar are off the books

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Western
    Team WIN LOSS % GB STRK L10 HOME AWAY
    1 Los Angeles Lakers 35 9 .795 - W1 8-2 16-5 19-4
    2 Utah Jazz 31 13 .705 4.0 W3 9-1 17-3 14-10
    3 Los Angeles Clippers 31 14 .689 4.5 L1 7-3 19-4 12-10
    4 Denver Nuggets 30 14 .682 5.0 L1 6-4 17-6 13-8
    5 Houston Rockets 27 16 .628 7.5 W1 5-5 15-7 12-9
    6 Dallas Mavericks 27 16 .628 7.5 L1 6-4 13-11 14-5
    7 Oklahoma City Thunder 26 19 .578 9.5 W3 6-4 14-9 12-10
    8 San Antonio Spurs 20 23 .465 14.5 W3 6-4 12-10 8-13
    9 Memphis Grizzlies 20 24 .455 15.0 L2 7-3 12-13 8-11
    10 Portland Trail Blazers 19 26 .422 16.5 W1 5-5 10-10 9-16
    Last edited by ace3g; 01-23-2020 at 10:22 PM.

Thread Information