Page 3 of 82 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl with minutes could put up some really good numbers. Unfortunately with our lack of shooting, he can't play much with our current team. He sure is a starting centre though and could be sign for as little as 8mil/py.

Edit* Point is, no to Drummond. Besides, he is opting out.
    Poeltl doesn't rebound as well as Drummond, which is not surprising since Drummond leads the league. But I was surprised to see how much better Poeltl is at blocking shots. Per 36 minutes, Drummond has a BLK number of 1.9, and Poeltl is 2.9.

I agree on the no to Drummond. For a big man of that general type I'd happily stick with Poeltl.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I looked at did not show 5 ft, but it did show that about 92% of Drummond's shooting is within 10' of the basket, with almost 60% of that within 3 ft. You are certainly correct that he has no shooting range to speak of.
    Oh, I'm full of . I'm estimating, based on the stats you saw, and me watching him play. They separate 0-3 feet and 3-10 feet. When I watch him, I don't see much from that 5-10 foot range. It wasn't intended to be exact, but I bet it's not too far off.

I'm actually shocked to hear that he's shot 18 3-pointers. Why I the would he shoot any?

Anyway, I don't hate Drummond. But if you're going to pay him $25M, it's sort of a given that you'll start him. And if you're starting him, you really have to build a team around that power center. It's not working out too well for Detroit. I just think that paying him $25M would be even more limiting than paying DeRozan.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drummond lol, 25 million for a guy who can't even shoot free throws. I would target Bogdanovic. Saric is another option that has been suggested around here. Mainly starting caliber forwards and SGs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saric is pretty mediocre at his best.

Pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is starting to like LMA hitting the 3’s and with accuracy. No way he trades him now. Demar is necessary in setting up plays, that Murray should’ve been doing but not. So yup Demar stays too. I’m not even gonna entertain trade rumors. Spurs staying with the same roster. I actually like it that they don’t. Pop is not playing new players anyways, and would only take minutes from Lonnie already limited time. I rather I see Keldon given a chance in garbage time instead of Marco.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We really need to do something because the teams construction is flawed. If the Spurs can't find a starting SF to play with DD and Murray, then they need to find a starting SG. And I think that is Walker. Gay must be on the chopping block with one of our guards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saric is pretty mediocre at his best.

Pass.
    and Trey Lyles is what exactly?

I M Ultimate Badass Quadzilla99's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hayward after that injury, pass. Atlanta's GM is a joke, we need to start making business with them somehow.
    We are not getting Hayward for Derozan. But if we we could it would be a steal

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are not getting Hayward for Derozan. But if we we could it would be a steal
    Post injury Hayward is not that much of a steal, he has lost some burst and quickness and thet fear will always be there with him but Hayward before the injury is obviously a steal and i agree that Celtics will never entertain something like that not because they want to keep Hayward but because DDR is not good enough.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hayward?? Seriously?? No thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In terms of production they are pretty much the same.

Iffy outside shot, some rebounding and playmaking.

Lyles is a placeholder but Saric is definetly not an upgrade so we should forget about him.

Samanic has the skillset that is required for that range of positions, and until he comes onto the stage, i don't think they push for someone concrete at his spot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drummond —> ATL
    DDR —> DET
    Parsons Contract + Hunter —> SA
    Last edited by CGD; 01-04-2020 at 07:13 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drummond is such an archaic player in 2020, even moreso than our "stars." There is a reason Detroit hasnt done jack with this dude as their best player for years now. he's basically an overpaid Deandre Jordan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, I'm full of . I'm estimating, based on the stats you saw, and me watching him play. They separate 0-3 feet and 3-10 feet. When I watch him, I don't see much from that 5-10 foot range. It wasn't intended to be exact, but I bet it's not too far off.
    Your estimate was right on, in principle, and the point is clear. Not a shooter.

However, does Drummond get a lot of assists to shooters? No, only 2.7 per game, so far this season. In the Per 36 stats, Poeltl is a better assist man.

I'm actually shocked to hear that he's shot 18 3-pointers. Why I the would he shoot any?
    Zeus only knows.

Anyway, I don't hate Drummond. But if you're going to pay him $25M, ...
    $28,751,775 is his player option for next season. So it's even worse than that. In ye olde modern NBA, he isn't worth it. Great rebounder, tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drummond is such an archaic player in 2020, even moreso than our "stars." There is a reason Detroit hasnt done jack with this dude as their best player for years now. he's basically an overpaid Deandre Jordan
    Disagree. 3s and dunks is what this league is all about now. He’s the perfect player to pair with 4 3pt chuckers. He stays down low and snags all the rebounds and passes back out for more 3s. Occasionally he gets some rebound dunks. A lot of players are lazy now and don’t play defense in this new age. Drummond will protect the rim. Perfect complementary player for today’s game.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cheaper and/or probably a free agent next year lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $28,751,775 is his player option for next season. So it's even worse than that. In ye olde modern NBA, he isn't worth it. Great rebounder, tho.

Yeah, I was only looking at what it would take to match his salary in a trade. The Spurs would be giving up $25M, give or take, in salary. So it's a question of what else they could get for that same $25M. Or, just for comparison, if they were to trade DeRozan for him - which would you rather have? Ten years ago, having a big lumbering big man who dominates the middle would have been much more appealing.

The other point I was making is that $25M (or $28M next year) is a big chunk of the cap. If you commit that much of your cap to one player, you really have to commit to building around his skill set. In the New NBA, committing to his style of play seems sort of self-defeating. If you could have him for say $8M, and be able to use him to complement other players, it's another story. Just pull him out when you need him.

Zeus only knows

Sometimes the ways of puny mortals are a mystery to me. Drummond shooting 3-pointers is a perfect example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree. 3s and dunks is what this league is all about now. He’s the perfect player to pair with 4 3pt chuckers. He stays down low and snags all the rebounds and passes back out for more 3s. ...
    Except, by his stats, Drummond isn't a good assist man. Only 2.7 per game.

Poeltl is better than Drummond for both assists and blocks, and is currently about $23 million cheaper.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The other point I was making is that $25M (or $28M next year) is a big chunk of the cap. If you commit that much of your cap to one player, you really have to commit to building around his skill set. In the New NBA, committing to his style of play seems sort of self-defeating. If you could have him for say $8M, and be able to use him to complement other players, it's another story. Just pull him out when you need him.
    Which begins to sound a lot like Poeltl.... who probably still has about 5 or 6 years of improvement ahead of him.

I was down on Poeltl earlier in the season, but he's changed my mind. And I suspect that Mr. Tim Duncan is doing Poeltl some good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drummond is an expensive dinosaur. You can't build a championship team around him as a high priced centerpiece. I'd rather go for someone like Bjelica, who's effective and a bargain.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kuz may be available

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which begins to sound a lot like Poeltl.... who probably still has about 5 or 6 years of improvement ahead of him.

I was down on Poeltl earlier in the season, but he's changed my mind. And I suspect that Mr. Tim Duncan is doing Poeltl some good.

I don't think that can be discounted. There's no doubt that Poeltl just started looking like a different species. Some will probably say that it's too quick for Duncan to be responsible, but something sure lit a fire under his ass. And the timing is right. There's no proof, but I wouldn't question you for speculating.

There was a thread here speculating about what it would cost to re-sign Poeltl. If he keeps playing the way he has been, he's not going to be cheap. Not Drummond money, but probably north of what we were guessing in that thread.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Disagree. 3s and dunks is what this league is all about now. He’s the perfect player to pair with 4 3pt chuckers. He stays down low and snags all the rebounds and passes back out for more 3s. Occasionally he gets some rebound dunks. A lot of players are lazy now and don’t play defense in this new age. Drummond will protect the rim. Perfect complementary player for today’s game.
    yeah and that skill is not worth 30 million in todays NBA. lakers are paying howard/mcgee the min to do the same

and really, what top teams have 4 shooters with a big plodding C in the middle who cant shoot outside of 5 feet? the top 3 teams in the east dont, Boston and Miami barely have players that qualify as centers . in the west, Lakers start McGee next to Davis only because AD is a pussy who doesnt want to play at C where he is best for them. the only playoff teams that really feature a big C down low are Thunder with Adams and Rockets with Capella who is pretty overrated anyway. most teams are starting a big PF at C and running 3 wing players and a PG nowadays. the age of the big C is over. yeah drummond would be a nice player to have, problem is he thinks he is a max player and in todays NBA you aint winning with huge money tied to archaic players.

honestly if Poeltl finds his ballsack and could rebound better he is the perfect starting C for todays NBA. runs the floor well, he's agile, can switch and recover, good positioning, defends the rim, doesnt need the ball. just needs to board better

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    kuz may be available
    taller Jordan Clarkson? no thanks

Thread Information