San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

spurs wouldn't be a laughingstock anymore.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams can get built through trades by adding the right players. I go back to that Piston team that traded superstar Grant Hill. There team consisted of players who were somewhat average or toward the end of their career. Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Rip Hamilton, Chancy Billups, and Okur were all added by trade. It is not about finding players, but finding the right players who can play together.

What some of you don't seem to get is that before you can trade away a superstar like Grant Hill, you've got to HAVE a superstar like Grant Hill. They got him as the #3 pick in his draft. If you like the fact that they got value for him in a trade, you ought to also recognize that they acquired that value from the draft.

That same Pistons team got a draft steal, finding Mehmet Okur in the second round. But they were in cap (sound familiar?) and couldn't afford to keep him. They wound up losing him for nothing in free agency. The Spurs are in cap , and have had VERY few trade assets.

Yes, you can build a team through trades. But you can also up a team through trades. That same Detroit team traded Bonzi Wells for jack . If they had kept him, they would have been a better team, sooner.

For trade purposes, you can't look at a player's value without also looking at his contract. There's no more valuable trade asset than a really good player on a rookie scale contract. You get those in the draft.

The Spurs are still in cap , and don't have many trade assets (whose contracts aren't under water) except for young guys they would like to keep. Nobody is going to take Aldridge and give back something better than Aldridge. So good luck with that trade strategy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll be stunned if we make a move, I hope for one but I just can’t see it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Paul Garcia's follow up tweet on Woj's tweet prediction on the Spurs' possible trade scenario with DDR, is something that I can see the Spurs doing this off season. I can see either a sign and trade or a resigning to a new contract if both parties agree to do so. Don't really see any major moves during the season with LMA or DDR. They may just go ahead and ride out this season with what they have, and then make possible big changes this off season. Either way, time will tell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Use DeRozan to get Miles Turner

Dejounte/ White
    Lonnie/ Mills/ Quinndary
    Keldon
    Aldridge/ Samanic
    Poetl/ Turner/ Eubanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just get Covington. Include both Brent and Marco in the trade package and the team ges significantly better, imo.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

spurs become a bigger laughing stock with this trade. They really dont improve and they give away a better asset in ok rookie pick. While this may not be considered a deep draft they are not always right. drafts have thought to be good and years latter only a few good players and other thought o be nothing and then when you look back have several players from it that are still around playing. Tucker is almost out of the league. Westbook is not a team player and not really young either. How much beter is Capeal then Potel who you are giving up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No mention of Forbes by the way

Why would they ? Nobody wants forbbes busted ass

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This treadmill team is going nowhere and just remain in purgatory .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What some of you don't seem to get is that before you can trade away a superstar like Grant Hill, you've got to HAVE a superstar like Grant Hill. They got him as the #3 pick in his draft. If you like the fact that they got value for him in a trade, you ought to also recognize that they acquired that value from the draft.

That same Pistons team got a draft steal, finding Mehmet Okur in the second round. But they were in cap (sound familiar?) and couldn't afford to keep him. They wound up losing him for nothing in free agency. The Spurs are in cap , and have had VERY few trade assets.

Yes, you can build a team through trades. But you can also up a team through trades. That same Detroit team traded Bonzi Wells for jack . If they had kept him, they would have been a better team, sooner.

For trade purposes, you can't look at a player's value without also looking at his contract. There's no more valuable trade asset than a really good player on a rookie scale contract. You get those in the draft.

The Spurs are still in cap , and don't have many trade assets (whose contracts aren't under water) except for young guys they would like to keep. Nobody is going to take Aldridge and give back something better than Aldridge. So good luck with that trade strategy.
    Your post doesn't hit the mark as they traded Hill for Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins. Wallace was considered a marginal player. They coul have easily gotten those players with or without Hill.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Name them so it can be broken down.
    Young/Collins, Tatum/Brown, Doncic/Porzingis, Jokic/Murray, Morant/Jackson Jr., Williamson/Ingram, Embiid/Simmons, Booker/Ayton, Fox/Bagley.

Only Collins, Jokic and Booker, were not top 5 picks.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Rockets slightly win that trade tbh. Imagine Harden on this Spurs team without LMA and there you go.

Spurs do it to build around Westbrook longterm.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

OR

I call it

THE HAPPY ENDING BLOW IT UP AND FOISTED BRYN FORBES TRADE....

Terrible trade for Spurs, just awful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Terrible trade for Spurs, just awful.
    Much more than awful..

LMA back to Portland and DDR back to Raptors makes sense for every single stakeholder, but not this way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have all the Cap room in 2021 to get that Giannis Bowl and have the ability accept Salary cap Cast offs in 2020 pay worthy rookie extensions....

Plus... its a BLOW IT UP play that I keep hearing around these parts with nobody showing or illustrating what they mean by BLOW IT UP!!!

I make it go BOOM!!!

So you aren't of the BLOWED IT UP camp

Also you don't want The Spurms to be a Free Agent Palyers in 2021?
    Blowing it up is fine for me, I would have done it around early November, but a return of capspace and a 1st in really not enough for your two best players.

FA won't really come here, so I would much prefer some underperforming, yet young prospects and picks instead of cap space.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

forbes instead of poeltl or lyles and im ok with this trade

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh the team just needs to upgrade 2 positions. That's if they want to at least be compe ive. But watch them not make any moves, and gm comes out saying he's happy with the team he has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young/Collins, Tatum/Brown, Doncic/Porzingis, Jokic/Murray, Morant/Jackson Jr., Williamson/Ingram, Embiid/Simmons, Booker/Ayton, Fox/Bagley.

Only Collins, Jokic and Booker, were not top 5 picks.

Celtics. Outliner because they were on the receiving end of one of the most lopsided deals, taking advantage of a short sighted billionair. Not only is the Nets a good example of not what to do, but despite the lopsided deal, Celtics only got to hold onto Brown and Tantum. Lottery picks after another, they only had Irving for 2 years.

Cuban ruined Dirks last 8 or so years in the league, only making the playoffs for half the time. Cuban gave up on trying to defend thier campionship to make a run in free agency in 2013, to miss out. Despite cap space, they sat in the lottery for 3 staight years.

Pelicans had one of the best bigs in the league, despite having that number 1 pick, they got in the second round once. What makes it seem this time it's different?

Did you really bring up the Suns and the Kings. How many lotteries do they want to have until they finally make a splash?

Hawks and Memphis are run similarlly too the Spurs. It wasn't long ago the Hawks were in the eastern conference finals. Memphis, like the Spurs, have always been loyal.

Your right, Nuggets success was dependant on Jokic, drafted in the second round. Their second best player (max contract) Murray, is not something they should be banking on.

Sixers, they were the laughing stock of the NBA, and wasn't it Stern that forced the Sixers to fire their GM? They not only hold the worst winning percentage in league history but they also hold the most consequetive losses. Despite this, they had two overally number 1 picks, two overall number 3, and one number 10. If it wasn't for Embid leg injury whom fell to 3, the Sixers wouldn't have much. And despite the cap space with all these rookie contracts, they blew their load on Harris.

No mention of the Knicks, Hornets, Bulls, Cavs, Pistons, and Twolves. How many lotteries do they need for things to finally work out?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh the team just needs to upgrade 2 positions. That's if they want to at least be compe ive. But watch them not make any moves, and gm comes out saying he's happy with the team he has.
    That's 40% and not that the other 3 positions are super strong.

I can't really see us trading for two player. One trade might be on the horizon -Fournier, Gordon, Bjelica or Williams-, but two is highly unlikely.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rockets slightly win that trade tbh. Imagine Harden on this Spurs team without LMA and there you go.

Spurs do it to build around Westbrook longterm.
    Westbrook is already 31. you cant build around him longterm. give him a yr or two and you will really start to see his age. You can already see his age some if you watch him. He also shoots horribly. Lots of points but even more shots. He is actually a worse shooter then forbs or murray. People need to stop going after name recognition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has he been treated bad or unfairly.. I haven't heard 1 thing out of the club to suggest he is being mistreated. And in his own words he says he loves the role and his place on the team. Every Player would love to play more sure.. He is getting millions to just chill and be a teammate, easiest paychecks he can ask for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information