Page 8 of 82 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So sad to see Bertans with such strong trade value when we gave him up for nothing...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chriss was waived because Warriors wanted to keep d league players over him.
    It's worse than that. They're waiving him to keep Damion Lee, a 27 YO who hasn't even played a full seasons worth of games over 3 seasons so far, and has no upside or great skill, but just happens to be Steph's brola.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So sad to see Bertans with such strong trade value when we gave him up for nothing...
    I never understood why they did that. He was the best trade asset this team had. A 7 million expiring contract for a tall 3-point sniper in his mid-20s is a perfect contract to build a trade around. If they had him now and Pop still would want to move him, you could easily package him and Beli for another starting PF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never understood why they did that. He was the best trade asset this team had. A 7 million expiring contract for a tall 3-point sniper in his mid-20s is a perfect contract to build a trade around. If they had him now and Pop still would want to move him, you could easily package him and Beli for another starting PF.
    Marcus Morris? Ringing any bells? They didn't just offload him as a salary dump. This is where armchair GMs fail. They don't understand that things have to go in sequence to stay within the CBA, and that one little wrench in the works, like that two faced asshole Morris, can up a roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marcus Morris? Ringing any bells? They didn't just offload him as a salary dump. This is where armchair GMs fail. They don't understand that things have to go in sequence to stay within the CBA, and that one little wrench in the works, like that two faced asshole Morris, can up a roster.
    Yes but they weren't trading for Marcus Morris. Morris was a free agent. The Spurs dumped Bertans for cap space, there is a difference between that and a trade. If a player has real trade value it seems like a waste.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marcus Morris? Ringing any bells?
    I knew some idiot would say exactly that, like I don't know about the offseason moves

I was specifically talking about giving Bertans away for free. There were other options. Like giving Belinelli and Forbes away instead. Or Belinelli and Metu. Or not signing Carroll. Or signing Carroll for 5.9 million in the first year so you can absorb his contract by trading Belinelli alone. It was pretty clear that the best role player contract on the team was Bertans, especially when you factor in the salary range. You should never give up an valuable asset like that for nothing. They didn't even get a 2nd-rounder back

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had Morris chose the Spurs that wouldve been the return for Bertans.

The rest falls on him pussying out and CBA paperwork.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes but they weren't trading for Marcus Morris. Morris was a free agent. The Spurs dumped Bertans for cap space, there is a difference between that and a trade. If a player has real trade value it seems like a waste.

Neither of those are right. You're not going to like this, but the whole thing was spawned by the fact that THE big move of the offseason was supposed to be signing Carroll. The Spurs announced on 6/30 that they were filling their last roster spot by giving Carroll a chunk of the MLE. Morris wasn't even in the picture. If someone had offered Morris a >MLE deal right off the bat, this roster would have Bertans and Carroll. Look for yourself: https://airalamo.com/2019/06/30/san-...marre-carroll/

Now ask yourself, "If Carroll can't get minutes now, how would he ever have gotten minutes if they had kept Bertans?" It' because he thought there was a chance that Carroll would be taking some of Bertans' minutes. Otherwise they wouldn't have signed Carroll, would they?

Morris slipped through the cracks, and the Spurs suddenly thought they could land him for just the full MLE. But that was a problem, since they had already committed to signing Carroll. Yeah, Morris screwed the Spurs. But the real up was in ever wanting to sign Carroll, and under-valuing Bertans.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i hope okc adds to their roster and tries to contend instead of blowing it up. they’ve been a real fun team to watch. cp3 has been a monster in the clutch.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither of those are right. You're not going to like this, but the whole thing was spawned by the fact that THE big move of the offseason was supposed to be signing Carroll. The Spurs announced on 6/30 that they were filling their last roster spot by giving Carroll a chunk of the MLE. Morris wasn't even in the picture. If someone had offered Morris a >MLE deal right off the bat, this roster would have Bertans and Carroll. Look for yourself: https://airalamo.com/2019/06/30/san-...marre-carroll/

Now ask yourself, "If Carroll can't get minutes now, how would he ever have gotten minutes if they had kept Bertans?" It' because he thought there was a chance that Carroll would be taking some of Bertans' minutes. Otherwise they wouldn't have signed Carroll, would they?

Morris slipped through the cracks, and the Spurs suddenly thought they could land him for just the full MLE. But that was a problem, since they had already committed to signing Carroll. Yeah, Morris screwed the Spurs. But the real up was in ever wanting to sign Carroll, and under-valuing Bertans.
    This is a much better take/analysis than the poster saying they “gave Bertans away for free.” Of course they didn’t give Bert away for free; they made the exact calculation you state here. Of course now with the benefit of foresight we can tell it was the wrong judgement call.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now might be the time to trade Derrick White while he's only on year 3 of his rookie deal, giving teams a minimum of one more year plus the qualifying tender.

If he almost never is allowed to play with Murray ... Murray presumably will move into 30+ minutes a game eventually.

I wonder what they could get for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seeing what Carroll offers now
    What the did anyone see in him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    getting rid of bertans for peanuts who never got the green light to chuck

while fkn scrubs like mills, forbes, belli are allowed to chuck

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs (16-20; eighth in the West) have been exploring the market for DeRozan, but a source with knowledge of his situation is quick to point out that the free-agent-to-be has a significant influence on the situation here too. DeRozan, who has a $27.7 million player option for next season, will have the freedom to walk this summer if he doesn’t like his next landing spot. It’s tough to find serious takers when you know the guy might skip town in just a few months. Meanwhile, there remains the possibility that he could sign an extension to remain in San Antonio (I reported in October that the sides were far apart, but those talks aren’t dead). With the Spurs somehow still in position to set a new NBA record by securing their 23rd consecutive playoff berth, DeRozan is leading the team in scoring (21.7 points per game) and assists (4.9 per). 1 day ago – via Sam Amick @ The Athletic

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    glad the spurs are exploring the market.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    de-fense
    better than doing nothing if you're trying to be compe ive:

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    if PATFO had balls:

cp3 / white
    lonnie / forbes
    crowder / iguodala
    la / luka
    drummond / poeltl

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if PATFO had balls: ...
    And absolutely no brains whatsoever.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    And absolutely no brains whatsoever.

cp3 / white
    lonnie / forbes
    crowder / iguodala
    la / luka
    drummond / poeltl

^ that roster could go up against any team in the west come POs. much improved defense and has three point shooting in cp3, forbes, la, luka.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    drummond helps with AD, howard, mcgee, his size also hurts the clips. crowder and iggy help with lebron, kawhi, PG. but i guess you value demar, gay, beli more

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only trade I can see happening is maybe Marco Belinelli to a contender

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting that the 76ers are interested in acquiring Galloway and Kennard from Detroit. I'm not sure what Kennard's price tag is but I'd kick the tires and find out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    had the Spurs beaten Memphis yesterday I would have been fine with standing pat. But it’s clear this team needs upgrades. You don’t want to tank, fine. But don’t stick with a roster that is making you 8th seed at best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only trade I can see happening is maybe Marco Belinelli to a contender
    Contenders don't suddenly decide to tank halfway through the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    had the Spurs beaten Memphis yesterday I would have been fine with standing pat. But it’s clear this team needs upgrades. You don’t want to tank, fine. But don’t stick with a roster that is making you 8th seed at best.
    One L is the hinge your evaluation swings on?

Thread Information