Page 44 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 2031
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i thought the deadline was today. spurs still have a day to do something

i really don’t understand keeping the band together... they’re not making the POs...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one is out there that is going to guarantee that by making a trade they will get us to the playoffs. So why take the risk of trading a potential late lottery-odd pick for a player that at best makes us marginally better. Certainly there are trades that could happen on lower level players, but they won't move the needle on us getting to the playoffs. Similarly, any trade of DDR or LMA is likely to yield less talent in return and given DDR free agent status and LMA's age, neither are likely to land a quality first round pick that would make trading them worth it. No reason to sell our best players to get junk assets.

Best course is to just try and make the playoffs with what we have with the possibility that there is a trade of one of the lower level players. Sure, if a once-in-a million opportunity comes up, then trade one of our two best players. But that is just very unlikely. Trading for Gordon or Winslow, in my opinion, is a downgrade if we give up DDR or LMA. Better to just see what happens this year. If DDR walks, then the Spurs have a bunch of cap space or maybe they do a sign and trade in the summer, but no reason to deal him now unless some unexpected miracle deal comes along, which is highly unlikely.
    Nothing is guaranteed but I was just pointing out that SA wouldn’t have to gut their team to make a trade if they wanted a win now player. I don’t think anyone helps them, but that’s not the point. We’ve seen first round picks and expiring deals net a decent player is the point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree
    Trading just to trade is not always great. Let's say the Spurs got Capela-
    He's not going to make this team dramatically better short and long term and has a bad contract.
    Spending $42/yr on Gay/Mills/Carroll/Marco/Forbes is worse than picking up a contract for capela or Paul for that matter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one is out there that is going to guarantee that by making a trade they will get us to the playoffs. So why take the risk of trading a potential late lottery-odd pick for a player that at best makes us marginally better. Certainly there are trades that could happen on lower level players, but they won't move the needle on us getting to the playoffs. Similarly, any trade of DDR or LMA is likely to yield less talent in return and given DDR free agent status and LMA's age, neither are likely to land a quality first round pick that would make trading them worth it. No reason to sell our best players to get junk assets.

Best course is to just try and make the playoffs with what we have with the possibility that there is a trade of one of the lower level players. Sure, if a once-in-a million opportunity comes up, then trade one of our two best players. But that is just very unlikely. Trading for Gordon or Winslow, in my opinion, is a downgrade if we give up DDR or LMA. Better to just see what happens this year. If DDR walks, then the Spurs have a bunch of cap space or maybe they do a sign and trade in the summer, but no reason to deal him now unless some unexpected miracle deal comes along, which is highly unlikely.
    Cap space? Players today don't think it's cool to play in San Antonio. We're just not going to sign a star player no matter how much we have to throw at them...unless they happen to have some ties to Texas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cap space? Players today don't think it's cool to play in San Antonio. We're just not going to sign a star player no matter how much we have to throw at them...unless they happen to have some ties to Texas.
    Cap space can be used for other things than signing star players. Everyone knows SA isn't a FA destination.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    rockets are closing in on a deal with an eastern conference team apparently.

tristan thompson? drummond? myles turner?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You rent it out for bad contracts if no one signs in a particular summer. That's how OKC acquired Ibaka. He was a pick in the 20s when they were still a high lottery team.

It's why I never understood what the LAL were doing a few years back. They had cap room, and for a couple of years in a row, they signed KCP to a one year 8 figure contract to meet the minimum salary. You don't get a pick doing that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Delete.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That would be surprising if it was someone with that much salary

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Rockets landed a big trade exception last night that they have all of two days to use, I think. I'd guess this trade is for a player who fits within it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be very happy with, essentially, an Aldridge for Winslow swap. There is some trepidation over Winslow's back, so maybe another young player or second could be had. Or pair Aldridge and Forbes for Winslow, Robinson, and Olynyk.

Mills to Milwaukee for the Pacers pick seems like it's too rich for Bucks to sign off....

Forbes to Clippers or 76ers for a pick (30s or 40s) would be a good get, but I bet Spurs would want a first.

I wonder if any version of Gordon and Bamba for DeRozan is still available. Or DeRozan for Horford.

Belinelli for a pick in the 50s. Also, a stretch, I know.

And sly pick ups, like Juwan Morgan or Harry Giles, would make sense. Carroll to Utah for Davis and Morgan. Carroll and Belinelli to Kings for Dedmon and Giles. That sort of thing.
    Last edited by Excessive Egotist; 02-05-2020 at 04:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are going to wait for their current run of bad contracts to expire... so they could sign other players to more bad contracts. Rinse and repeat.

@ thinking we could trade these bad contracts/players away
    The Spurs don't have a single untradable contract on this team. What are you talking about?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs don't have a single untradable contract on this team. What are you talking about?
    Yeah, somebody listed the aggregate contracts of 5 players who added up to a whopping $42M. That averages a bit over $8M each, which doesn't even equal the MLE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I have said before - while I thought there were times in the past 22 years when the Spurs should have made a trade but didn't - you could somewhat see it from the PATFO's point of view because they had a winning record going into the trade deadline. This year is different and it will be very telling if the goal is the playoffs by making a trade or lack there of.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I have said before - while I thought there were times in the past 22 years when the Spurs should have made a trade but didn't - you could somewhat see it from the PATFO's point of view because they had a winning record going into the trade deadline. This year is different and it will be very telling if the goal is the playoffs by making a trade or lack there of.
    I would be pretty shocked if there's not a trade by tomorrow. They have to either pull the plug or try to make the team better but doing nothing when the schedule is about to be harder and you already have a losing record is just idiocy.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

When you have Tim Duncan as the backbone, you have the luxury of knowing that the team is never going to be bad. This team is bad. Broken. Something has to change.

The only wise choice is to start working on next season now.

I would be pretty shocked if there's not a trade by tomorrow. They have to either pull the plug or try to make the team better but doing nothing when the schedule is about to be harder and you already have a losing record is just idiocy.

You're exactly right. I think they will move Carroll, but I'm doubtful of anything else. I think it's more about pride than anything else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, somebody listed the aggregate contracts of 5 players who added up to a whopping $42M. That averages a bit over $8M each, which doesn't even equal the MLE.
    40 million for Mills, Carroll, Gay and Pau Gasol. 2 players who will never be on the court and 2 bench players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    then that's exactly what Flopovich will do

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be surprising if it was someone with that much salary
    Can pass on that Rockerts/Magic talked today - not sure if about Bamba or Birch

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My friend, cap space also buys you first round picks. You can ransom first round picks to take on player dumps. Sure, they won't use it sign a superstar, but you can use cap space for other things besides signing superstars.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can pass on that Rockerts/Magic talked today - not sure if about Bamba or Birch
    Makes sense. They will need someone cheaper for that spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so apparently the Spurs have asked for medical information on Justise Winslow. Maybe there is hope

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also ORL was talking to Denver earlier in week as they had interest in Beasley. Looks like Orl has made decision to not make major trade, but are exploring smaller deals. With Beasley, I was told last year that ORL FO was very high on Lonnie Walker. I hope the Spurs don't move any of the young guys, but based on previous discussions I think ORL would move Ross or Fournier in a deal where they got back Walker

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so apparently the Spurs have asked for medical information on Justise Winslow. Maybe there is hope

great news but still hope we can get one of duncan/herro with winslow. Give heat anyone.

Thread Information