Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    harlem is mostly right, that RB production is based in large part on scheme and situation... but thats not to say that running backs dont have unique attributes which allow them to perform better in similar situations

for example, compare leveon bell to trent richardson. they have comparably size/speed, but Bell was made famous for his "vision" and "patience" when running behind Pittsburgh's line. meanwhile, trent richardson had probably the worst vision/instincts of any RB in recent memory. but Bell's vision and patience mattered for -all when he ran behind the jets ty OL.

zeke does have the benefit of running behind a great line, but tbh i almost always see him fall forward. every run that looks like it should be 4 yards ends up being 6 ... so there's value in that. i dont think he's a saquon-esque talent but he's probably in that second tier, along with guys like mixon, jacobs, cook, henry.

i think saquon/cmc are the most talented backs in the league. saquon is pretty generational as far as raw ability. from the 2000s, i can only really think of Peterson/LT that were in that category. maybe Chris Johnson too, for a short time

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    harlem is mostly right, that RB production is based in large part on scheme and situation... but thats not to say that running backs dont have unique attributes which allow them to perform better in similar situations

for example, compare leveon bell to trent richardson. they have comparably size/speed, but Bell was made famous for his "vision" and "patience" when running behind Pittsburgh's line. meanwhile, trent richardson had probably the worst vision/instincts of any RB in recent memory. but Bell's vision and patience mattered for -all when he ran behind the jets ty OL.

zeke does have the benefit of running behind a great line, but tbh i almost always see him fall forward. every run that looks like it should be 4 yards ends up being 6 ... so there's value in that. i dont think he's a saquon-esque talent but he's probably in that second tier, along with guys like mixon, jacobs, cook, henry.

i think saquon/cmc are the most talented backs in the league. saquon is pretty generational as far as raw ability. from the 2000s, i can only really think of Peterson/LT that were in that category. maybe Chris Johnson too, for a short time
    Yeah imo Saquon is easily the best RB in the NFL right now, esp since his production is despite a offensive line.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Yeah imo Saquon is easily the best RB in the NFL right now, esp since his production is despite a offensive line.
    I don't think so about Barkley. He's wayyyyy too feast or famine. He either gets stuffed or gets a huge gain. I'd much rather have a guy who can tear through the middle of the trees for a consistent tough 4, 5, 6, 7 yards a carry. A few years ago that used to be Zeke, before he sadly got lazy and washed up.

Henry is one of those LG Blount, Marshawn Lynch guys that just gets better late in the game because of their tree trunk lower body is almost impossible to tackle when you're tired on defense.

That said I don't think there is a clear best running back in the NFL. In 2015 it was AP, in 2016 it was Zeke, in 2017 it was Bell, last year Gurley before the injury... I don't think there is a truly *above the pack* RB out there right now, and more and more teams are using RBBC as well.

My Team
    Green Bay Packers
    Post Count
    Dalvin Cook?
    Lol

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Derrick Henry would've made this game interesting imo.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Dalvin Cook?
    Lol
    All the sudden it was naked bootlegs and screens against a team that isn't even that good against the run.

Cook got 9 carries in favor of a QB that passed for 172 yards on 29 attempts.

I will concede that Cook looked worn down today though. No explosion.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Henry wears the crown. Debate over.

My Team
    Green Bay Packers
    Post Count
    Dalvin is good but Henry is big time.
    Playoff yards are hard to come by.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Give me liberty? Naw, give me 200 yards and a touchdown every week

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Dalvin making a claim again.

1. Cook: 858 yds, 6.0 ypg, 12 TD
    2. Henry 843 yds, 4.8 ypg, 8 TD

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Dalvin making a claim again.

1. Cook: 858 yds, 6.0 ypg, 12 TD
    2. Henry 843 yds, 4.8 ypg, 8 TD
    will Cook threaten the AP record?

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Give me liberty, or give me Dalvin Cook

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    will Cook threaten the AP record?
    Not this season; but minuscule chance for next season.

My money is still on Henry being best. He's beast mode in big games.

But I have to give Dalvin his due. He's the only one in the discussion with him right now.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Not this season; but minuscule chance for next season.

My money is still on Henry being best. He's beast mode in big games.

But I have to give Dalvin his due. He's the only one in the discussion with him right now.
    dalvin is more technically proficient... henry just has absurd physical talent

one of the most important traits for a RB is vision, and Dalvin excels at that. he'll pick the right hole, make consecutive cuts to lead linebackers into filling the wrong gap, etc. then he has pretty remarkable straight line explosion to burst through arm tackles and whatnot.

dalvin is still a very good physical talent, but not so much laterally like Peterson (though very few guys have that). but henry stiff arms defensive linemen into the ground tbh . oddly enough, despite his size, henry isn't really at his best running between the tackles, he does his best bouncing it outside where he can run over the secondary and hit home runs

kamara should be in the convo too as an all around back

as pure runners go though, i think Nick Chubb definitely needs to be in this discussion

Thread Information