Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san...anuary-8-2020/

tl;dr: Blowing out the Bucks and now the Celtics?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go Spurs go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great game ... I would be little more confident if the Spurs had put down OKC at home as well. Finally the rotations have improved, but the trio of Murray/White/Walker could still get more minutes while subtracting from Bryn and Rudy ... especially against the Celtics team with good average size on all positions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san...anuary-8-2020/

tl;dr: Blowing out the Bucks and now the Celtics?
    tl; dr: I called the end result. Both Kemba and Brown sucked while Forbes continued his hot streak

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Such a fun game to watch. I really don’t mind the Celtics but their crybaby fans really put a spark in me to hope the Spurs I annihilated them. Also glad to hear the guy that threw stuff got arrested. Excellent win, even if Kemba left early. Such a weird turnaround from even three weeks ago. Lonnie has definitely made a difference but it’s like LMA and Derozan have awaken from their sleep because they don’t look bored or deflated anymore. Come on boys, might as well keep the streak alive now

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rotations are improving, but for a good part of the game Celtics were just not hitting good shots + unforced errors. Having said that the Spurs didn't play their best game and certainly deserve credit for 2 quality wins in a row.

Spurs offense is much better with less LMA postups & when Demar gets in paint & makes quick decisions. Movement & spacing have improved but still segments where ball sticks too much.

Would love to see Pop start to occasionally play Murray/Walker/White together. The White/Walker combo seems pretty effective in limited minutes & so nice to watch them seamlessly switching on D & not creating a mismatch. Add in Murray and that should be a quality defensive lineup. Against smaller teams a Murray/White/Walker /DDR/LMA lineup would be fun. Obviously White & Murray would have to knock down some open threes to work for extended periods.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "After being sent to the bench a couple games ago, Bryn Forbes has responded."

"I benched him... now he's better. It's really not that difficult."
    But a Zen master who lives in the village says, “We'll see.”

"So, is Pop now starting to try?"

The Bucks game was the first one all season where Pop was engaged. Part of me wants to be happy. Part of me is pissed off about him coasting through the first 34 games of the season. He could have done more with this team - he just didn't. When players have done that, he's ripped their asses publicly. I guess the nature of a hypocrite is that he doesn't see his own hypocrisy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp. Agree with all the grades, or would give Gay even lower grade if not for his 7 rebounds because he was a real downer, a clutz. His turnovers, and lack of communication caused points of turnovers for the Celtics that threatened to change the momentum. Other nights, the Spurs would have folded and suc bed to the run. But not last night. Not when Walker was around. I was glad Pop kept him in the 4th when Celtic tried to make the final push before giving up. Walker was physical, fast to help in the paint and back to his perimeter guy. He had some gutsy 4th quarter shots, and the Spurs withstood the run. This is the best I’ve seen the squad playing together. Not for any hero ball against Rockets, but just smart cuts, movements and picking the opponent. Demar was awesome, was in control. Aldridge was checked-in. Mills was relentless. Murray/White were aggressive. It was fun to watch. It wasn’t like Spurs were being lucky, but just executed well. Pop has found the winning Spurs style for this group, and should bottle it. Stop tinkering more with the roster. I was hoping Walker could start and establish defense from the get go, but if Forbes could score in the high teens and not be a defensive liability, it would be fine. But at the 1st sign of teams drawing games to isolate him, Pop should immediately switch to Walker. All in all, this is the most fun I had watching this roster. They look like a contender last night. Please keep it up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades.

When DeMar plays within himself has a clear head and plays team ball he’s a damn good basketball player.

Dejounte looks so much more comfortable and confident taking those jumpers now and finding his spots, just his overall feel of the game is improving. Yeah he still makes mistakes and all that but you have to remember this is only his 32nd game he’s played since spring of 2018. It was also encouraging to see him get 28 minutes last night. He’s going to make big strides this year.

Derrick White woke up yesterday morning with some confidence. He needs to continue playing that way and get back to being relentless. He’s looking better physically so that’s a plus.

Lonnie Walker man. Every time I see him get off the bench and head towards the score table to check in I get excited. I haven’t felt that way since Manu tbh. There’s plenty of really athletic guys in the NBA but this kid has a control and elegance to it. When he reaches his physical peak he’s going to be a monster. When he made that three last night in the 4th quarter Tim Duncan stood up quick as and started clapping like he was a player again, I loved it.

Bryn is still playing too many minutes. I still saw him get blown by and was getting caught watching the ball a few times where his man went back door, Pop actually got really pissed off at him for once. Not sure what it’s going to take for him to get lesser minutes tbh.

Overall great win, I haven’t seen the Spurs win on the road against a playoff team in a long time tbh. You could tell this team is building some chemistry the ball isn’t sticking as much and they’re looking like they’re having fun out there and competing. Then again I wouldn’t be surprised if they lay an egg Friday night in Memphis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at Forbes grade and your comments about his defense. He was back doored a couple of times in the third and it ended with Pop taking him out of the game for Patty.
    You might be grading him on a curve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker scored 18 pts, not 19, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is fools gold. He’s a fraud.

Rudy Gay is done. He’s got nothing left but the occasional good game that gives everyone false hope. But at least he’s tall, unlike Forbes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Bucks game was the first one all season where Pop was engaged. Part of me wants to be happy. Part of me is pissed off about him coasting through the first 34 games of the season. He could have done more with this team - he just didn't. When players have done that, he's ripped their asses publicly. I guess the nature of a hypocrite is that he doesn't see his own hypocrisy.
    here are the never happy dudes... Pop did not care now he cares Pop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s like PATFO decided they weren’t getting for Demar or Aldridge and next years draft sucks so they might as well make the best of the season and start actually trying to win games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    here are the never happy dudes... Pop did not care now he cares Pop

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ? Was his foot on the line on one of the threes or something ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A great pair of wins. I doubt the Spurs can keep up this kind of shooting (especially against good defenses), but there were a lot of encouraging signs all across the board (from Pop to the young guns to our two midrange veterans). The worst thing that could happen now, though, is that the FO decides to offer DeRozan a big new contract. I'd rather have him play bad than this to happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ? Was his foot on the line on one of the threes or something ?
    To be really honest I didn't watch the game.

But folks are saying that Walker was granted an extra pt on that 3 and 1, where the one that shot the FT was actually DeRozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not as thrilled about the prospect of Derozan swindling this organization out of a 4 yr max tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bballref and Yahoo both show 19.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bballref and Yahoo both show 19.

But folks are saying that Walker was granted an extra pt on that 3 and 1, where the one that shot the FT was actually DeRozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They did give credit for that FT to Lonnie. Just curious - what folks are spending time talking about it, and why? Is there a point, like "Lonnie wasn't that good... he only scored 18 points in 19 minutes"?

I've never really looked at a play-by-play where one guy makes a shot and another gets fouled at the same time. It could even be one of those quirks of NBA official scoring. I just don't see it making a of a lot of difference, unless someone has a side bet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the play-by-play has him getting the ft even though it was DeRozan who should get credited.

6:30 Lonnie Walker IV makes 26-foot three point jumper (Patty Mills assists) 114 - 95
    6:30 Jaylen Brown shooting foul 114 - 95
    6:30 Celtics Full timeout 114 - 95
    6:30 Bryn Forbes enters the game for Patty Mills 114 - 95
    6:30 Lonnie Walker IV makes free throw 1 of 1 115 - 95

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at Forbes grade and your comments about his defense. He was back doored a couple of times in the third and it ended with Pop taking him out of the game for Patty.
    You might be grading him on a curve.
    He's been grading Forbes higher than he deserves since last season, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They did give credit for that FT to Lonnie. Just curious - what folks are spending time talking about it, and why? Is there a point, like "Lonnie wasn't that good... he only scored 18 points in 19 minutes"?

I've never really looked at a play-by-play where one guy makes a shot and another gets fouled at the same time. It could even be one of those quirks of NBA official scoring. I just don't see it making a of a lot of difference, unless someone has a side bet.
    I don't know, I just find interesting to know if official NBA stat keepers actually ed that up. Has that ever happened before? Maybe with assists, rebounds, stls, etc. but probably never with pts.

Thread Information