Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I guess. Not a huge Rush fan but it was easy to recognize how great a drummer he was.
    Brain cancer and died at 67.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    damn, RIP

unlike OP, huge rush fan here. saw them most recently at their "Time Machine" tour back in 2010 when they played the entire moving pictures album.

GOAT drummer
    Last edited by spurraider21; 01-10-2020 at 06:33 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    damn, RIP

unlike OP, huge rush fan here. saw them most recently at their "Time Machine" tour back in 2010 when they played the entire moving pictures album.

GOAT drummer
    yeah...all of them at the top of the list for their instrument. Love Tom Sawyer but that was really the only one I really would play much. I didn’t hate the music, I think I just never had the patience for it. If that makes sense.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Peart

RIP. God level drummer, songwriter, wicked intelligent.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    yeah...all of them at the top of the list for their instrument. Love Tom Sawyer but that was really the only one I really would play much. I didn’t hate the music, I think I just never had the patience for it. If that makes sense.
    yeah i can see how a lot of their stuff can be an acquired taste. tom sawyer and limelight are pretty easy to get into. spirit of the radio, to a lesser degree.

but man their good stuff can be really good. 2112 is a goddam epic

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How many times did Neil say "no" before agreeing to that skit? lol

Not sure which is worse, Neil passing or Jack Black pretending to be a Musician.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    yeah i can see how a lot of their stuff can be an acquired taste. tom sawyer and limelight are pretty easy to get into. spirit of the radio, to a lesser degree.

but man their good stuff can be really good. 2112 is a goddam epic
    I cannot even land in Toronto without hearing YYZ on the bass.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    RIP

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Too young...

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My favorite band from age 18 to about 25, and Peart's lyrics were among the first I ever really paid attention to and appreciated. Even though I never expected to see him in concert again or for him to put out any new music, it still feels like a huge loss.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Any of you little Millenialls know this album?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Any of you little Millenialls know this album?
    Yes, it's by far their worst album and doesn't even feature Neil Peart. Thanks for your contribution, though!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yes, it's by far their worst album and doesn't even feature Neil Peart. Thanks for your contribution, though!
    Laid the foundation for Rush as we know it.
    Some good basic sounds and great lead guitar on album.

Have another soy burger and latte.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I'm a huge Rush nerd and fan of the three members forever. Peart was a very very private person and this brain cancer illness was locked down like Fort Knox until he died this week. It's a very sad situation to retire five years ago at the top of his game as a drummer and get a cancer diagnosis a year and a half later. I'm not surprised this was very hush hush as Neil was never comfortable with the hoopla his celebrity generated.

It's my understanding that the physical pounding he had to take to play the way he played was just too much - 2.5 to 3.0 hr shows take a toll. He refused to keep playing at a "less than the best" level. I respected that. I'm sorry he did not get a chance to smell the roses for an extended period of time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I'm a huge Rush nerd and fan of the three members forever. Peart was a very very private person and this brain cancer illness was locked down like Fort Knox until he died this week. It's a very sad situation to retire five years ago at the top of his game as a drummer and get a cancer diagnosis a year and a half later. I'm not surprised this was very hush hush as Neil was never comfortable with the hoopla his celebrity generated.

It's my understanding that the physical pounding he had to take to play the way he played was just too much - 2.5 to 3.0 hr shows take a toll. He refused to keep playing at a "less than the best" level. I respected that. I'm sorry he did not get a chance to smell the roses for an extended period of time.
    yeah i saw them in 2010 and they went for a full 3 hours... no opening act, nothing. just came out and started playing. barely anything resembling an intermission either. the longest "break" was just a peart drum solo for ~10 minutes

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Rutsey and Lifeson became close friends while attending St. Paschals School, and the pair would play street hockey together in their neighborhood.[5] Both were interested in rock music, and talked often about forming a band.[5] Together, they initially were members of the bands The Projection with Bill Fitzgerald and "Doc" Cooper.[3] Eventually another school friend, Lee, joined them and the earliest version of Rush was formed.Rutsey's commitment has been credited with providing the band's early direction, as it was he who took the band most seriously and he who would insist on regular practice sessions. According to Ian Grandy, a member of the band's early roadcrew, "I've said it before and I'll say it again: There would have been no 'Rush' without John."

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Genius.

On many levels.
    RIP

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I guess I missed this thread because of all the bone thugs bumps when I created mine. Anyway. Peart is definitely one of the GOAT rock drummers and a song writing genius. I'm glad I got to see them live ('96).

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Hmm. Not sure if Fabbs saved that. If not, getting owned by Lambert on classic rock out of all subjects. SMH

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    RIP

Read one of his books (2004) about his taking a trip to Big Bend and it was really good -

I had meant to read a more recent book - Ghost Rider - or something like that - about Peart on a road trip after the loss of a couple of loved ones - but had yet to come around to it...

seems like now is the time - gonna pick that up tonite on Amazon probably...

Great musician and great writer - all the greats are checking out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hmm. Not sure if Fabbs saved that. If not, getting owned by Lambert on classic rock out of all subjects. SMH
    Rush s thinking they are paying homage and don't even know or respect the foundation of the band.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Rush s thinking they are paying homage and don't even know or respect the foundation of the band.
    Well, I only have a cursory knowledge of classic rock. Maybe that's being modest; but I take myself out of the running for whatever dork-off ensues.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ^ That's okay I'm not a Belieber.

Thread Information