Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We know he's lost a step, but he's still easily the best option at easily their worst position, yet he continues to play low 20s minutes and not close, while they continue to start a fringe rotation player, who has no business playing against starters.

Their only chance to achieve a semblance of balance all the way around (starting/bench and offense/defense), is to start Gay (mid-high 20s mpg) and Walker (low-mid 20s mpg) and have Lyles (or Carroll, depending on the situation) and Forbes become the 9th and 10th men.

It's probably not worth it to make a trade to shore up starting PF (though I'd still see if the Hornets would bite on Lyles and Belinelli for Williams), because either way their ceiling is 1st round and they're likely on the verge of a re-build.

I needs six for my fix. UnWantedTheory's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We know he's lost a step, but he's still easily the best option at easily their worst position, yet he continues to play low 20s minutes and not close, while they continue to start a fringe rotation player, who has no business playing against starters.

Their only chance to achieve a semblance of balance all the way around (starting/bench and offense/defense), is to start Gay (mid-high 20s mpg) and Walker (low-mid 20s mpg) and have Lyles (or Carroll, depending on the situation) and Forbes become the 9th and 10th men.

It's probably not worth it to make a trade to shore up starting PF (though I'd still see if the Hornets would bite on Lyles and Belinelli for Williams), because either way their ceiling is 1st round and they're likely on the verge of a re-build.
    Out of curiosity, if you had it your way, what would your rotations be specifically? Also, who would be backing up DDR in this scenario?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop tried starting Gay for Lyles and it didn't work well. He works well in the second unit. Our second unit is pretty strong as a collective.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gay isnt great, but he isnt bad imho..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he really has some very bad games here and then ... he should be the earliest subs ution though if Lyles misses two shots in a row

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's like 56, give him a break.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan has taken Gay's role, and Gay has become LMA's backup while not actually playing LMA's position. Pretty much means he has to play next to Poeltl though even then, the team is just better with DeMar there. There's just no optimal role for Rudy on the team as constructed. The yalent is there still, but the impact is inconsistent

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gay can not handle the extra minutes. He already needs to take too many breaks and that happens while he's playing. His feet can't move on defense anymore and he gets lots of reaching fouls. I would prefer to trade him for someone with potential and mobility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bc he sucks and should never have been re-signed in the offseason. Another PATFO mistake

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gay can not handle the extra minutes. He already needs to take too many breaks and that happens while he's playing. His feet can't move on defense anymore and he gets lots of reaching fouls. I would prefer to trade him for someone with potential and mobility.
    That's probably it. His wheels are too creaky.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gay is done. He is so inconsistent these days. He’s just a s and has the typical 1 good game out 10.

He looks like and 33 year who ripped his Achilles and ran to a team willing to sign him after the injury and also give him an extension.

Spurs

But at least he’s tall and has an NBA body, unlike Forbes.

Forbes. Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You give dude any more mins that he gets now and you'll lose him to injury.. He comes up grimacing after nearly every contact play as it is

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get the creaky argument. There's no reason he can't play the 4 more mpg that he averaged last season and if breaks down, so what? What are they saving him for? The peak of this team is squeaking into the playoffs, whereby they'll be summarily dismissed by most likely the Lakers.

I don't get the sucks argument either. The question isn't whether you'd want him to play this role ideally, it's whether you prefer Lyles continue to play it.

Out of curiosity, if you had it your way, what would your rotations be specifically? Also, who would be backing up DDR in this scenario?
    Starters: Gay, DeRozan, Aldridge, Walker, Murray

2nd unit: Mills, White, Poeltl, Forbes, Lyles/Carroll

So Mills primarily backup up Walker (they could squeeze in a few for White here too), Forbes plays the minutes DeRozan doesn't, while a combination of Lyles/Carroll (depending on matchup and how they're playing), as well as some DeRozan (when they matchups allow for it) backup Gay.

DeRozan has taken Gay's role, and Gay has become LMA's backup while not actually playing LMA's position. Pretty much means he has to play next to Poeltl though even then, the team is just better with DeMar there. There's just no optimal role for Rudy on the team as constructed. The yalent is there still, but the impact is inconsistent
    How has DeRozan taken Gay's role if Gay has become Aldridge's backup? As close as they can come to optimal is Gay starts, DeRozan plays the four when matchups allow for it and scraps go to Lyles/Carroll, who'd be mostly hid from frontline players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hes had his moments but thankfully it was only a two year deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like him off the bench for lyles. He likes to play one-on-one at some point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gay is slow now, not a good match for a run n gun offense

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Team needs a legit starting pf that can actually contribute.

Thanks, Marcus Morris.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? Because of his very poor defense. Forbes and he are the worst defenders in the team, by far. Rudy has a chance guarding real PF but modern 4s are basically 3s. Gay can't contest 1on1 situations vs forwards, he rotates too slow as well. Nothing to say about his offensive game, it's good but the team has enough offensive weapons while it lacks defensive players.

PATFO should reflex on this situation. Rudy Gay was helpful but currently this roster could make the most of that salary with another player. Carroll might be a decent replacement until Metu/Samanic are ready to start getting some minutes.

Gay will finish the season in the Spurs roster and Forbes too. Just in case the team makes the playoffs and both are exposed, Popovich will start thinking on alternatives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is OP saying he wants more Gay play?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude is done! He offers literally nothing at this point.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree Gay looks finished athletically kinda sad honestly he always seemed like a pretty decent dude had good potential that flashed in Memphis, wasted what were his best years on horrible Sacramento teams and just has had less than good luck on injuries. He will probably get a 1 plus 1 year team option from some on for about league minimum after this but in truth he was done last year as a serious contributor. He came back ok from the Achilles but not to where he was. He doesn't hold up well physically as a power forward and is now to slow as sf. That was d rt of always what defined him he was able to out quick people bigger than him and was faster than most ho could bully him inside. He also has always just been adequate from outside. Current Rudy is not able to out quick much of anybody and feels poorly after a bully session

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gay was the best off-season resign for the SPURS... For what he provides he was the best bang for you buck. He plays exactly how POP expects him too. As it has been stated he is now on the wrong side of 30 now.. But i like his play.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rudy is pretty much done he is a good 13th to 15th guy but should not be number 1 or 2. Once again the Morris going to New York screwed the Spurs. I am hoping we give Luka and Metu some burn (if the time comes when we mathematically out of playoffs Poop better give the kids Walker, Murray, White, Keldon, Luka, Metu, the keys to really figure out if they legit.” If not then they need to find someone this summer and not another old washed up vet.

Thread Information