Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even drafting well doesn't guarantee anything. Injuries can derail a player and a team. Pelicans drafted AD and got the second round once before losing him. The Spurs are not in a cap whole where they need to gut their team. Cap opens up after next season.
    Even after this season, if DDR opts out. They only have about $85 mil guaranteed, excluding cap holds, new rookies, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outside of Lakers and Clippers (and Spurs have beaten the Clippers once), I think Spurs can beat anybody in a 7 series IF they play right and I mean all the planets aligned. Lakers, Clippers are one injury away from being beatable. Who knows what happen in the playoffs? I like Spurs to make the playoffs for the young players, Murray, White, Lonnie, Poeltl. They need to experience that for their development. I don’t believe in tanking, because Spurs already have a great young group, with Keldon, WSpoon and Samanic (maybe not next year) coming, plus whoever Spurs get 19, 49? Spurs would be so much better next year with another year under their belt. Lonnie will be a stud. They all would just benefit from the playoff experience. So yeah.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's nothing "generalized" about the top 6-7 slots constantly generating much better players overall. There will always be dumb FO's who pick the Greg Oden's of the draft. But if PATFO are really as good at drafting as people claim, then they should damn near have a lock on a top-tier player if they ever pick that high. (No, I didn't say franchise player, although their chances are much better high than low.)

It might help if some of you watched any college ball. Cole Anthony (son of Greg Anthony) is going to be an NBA baller. He had knee surgery, but I'm still pretty confident he'll still declare this year. He may fall a few slots, but not far enough for the Spurs to get him at 16 or whatever. Anthony Davis will be logging NBA minutes next season. Lamelo Ball too, even though he was playing in Australia, not NCAA, and now he's hurt. (People here will bash him because of the family.)

I've been a Maccabi fan since I lived and worked over there for a while. They have a kid named Deni Avdija who has a shot at being a good NBA player. If he declares this year he may be within the Spurs' grasp. I thought Aaron Nesmith might be a Spurs fit in that 16-17 range, until he got injured. But guys like that are dart-throws. It's a totally different thing picking at 7 or higher, in any draft.
    It's the density of good players that make the statistics.
    Yeah, I admitted that I haven’t been watching college ball much this season. So, thanks for some personal intel on a few players. I think the Spurs’ boring, bizarre mess of a team has dampened my enthusiasm for BB in general this season. I only see two possibilities: Pop will continue on this current enervating course featuring the Tired Trio or he will make a disastrous personnel move such as over-paying Brent to a longer deal or getting fleeced in some dumb trade for an aging dinosaur to sabotage the team for the next coach. It’s too depressing to put a whole lot of energy into the Spurs right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even after this season, if DDR opts out. They only have about $85 mil guaranteed, excluding cap holds, new rookies, etc.
    Are you sure? I can only see about 20mil in cap space if DD leaves. Poeltl cap hold is 11mil as well, which brings that number down another 5mil.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you remember the scene in the original Brothers in Law where Alan Arkin and Peter Falk are about to be executed and Arkin asks, "What's Plan B?" and Falk replies, "There is no Plan B"

Well, I don't know why I came here tonight
    I got the feeling that something ain't right
    I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair
    And I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs

[Chorus]
    Clowns to the left of me
    Jokers to the right

Here I am
    Stuck in the middle with you

[Verse 2]
    Yes, I'm stuck in the middle with you
    And I'm wondering what it is I should do
    It's so hard to keep this smile from my face
    Losing control, yeah, I'm all over the place

[Chorus]
    Clowns to the left of me
    Jokers to the right

Here I am
    Stuck in the middle with you

[Post-Chorus]
    Well, you started out with nothing
    And you're proud that you're a self-made man
    And your friends, they all come crawling
    Slap you on the back and say
    Please

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A typical Spurs playoff game boosts the team’s Revenue by ~2.5 million $USD. It isn’t chump change.
    Yep
    And the Spurs are not exactly flush with money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outside of Lakers and Clippers (and Spurs have beaten the Clippers once), I think Spurs can beat anybody in a 7 series IF they play right and I mean all the planets aligned. Lakers, Clippers are one injury away from being beatable. Who knows what happen in the playoffs? I like Spurs to make the playoffs for the young players, Murray, White, Lonnie, Poeltl. They need to experience that for their development. I don’t believe in tanking, because Spurs already have a great young group, with Keldon, WSpoon and Samanic (maybe not next year) coming, plus whoever Spurs get 19, 49? Spurs would be so much better next year with another year under their belt. Lonnie will be a stud. They all would just benefit from the playoff experience. So yeah.
    whoa, now thats optimism

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ironic that if they "tank" in the sense of Pop having the car keys and Pet midgets taken away while the long athletic running Young Uns are cut loose the chances of making the playoffs goes UP!

So in a sense Grandpa is unwittingly tanking.
    In true stubbornness / ego caused dementia mode he doesn't even know it.

Still like to know if Coach 32nd ordered LMA to start attempting more treys or if LMA and others (Tim, Becky?) are behind it.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we all agree that unless something changes drastically, the Spurs aren't going to challenge for the LOB, or even the WCF this season... right? So the biggest consideration should be the long term success of the team. What is the best/quickest way for the Spurs to get back into contention?

So the only real questions to me are:
    1. Would making the playoffs and a first round exit really do anything to further the Spurs' long term success. I know people like to talk about "winning culture", etc. but the real answer to that is "no".
    2. While there isn't much difference between, say, the 13th pick and the 16th pick, if the Spurs pulled the plug on the first round exit, could they do significantly better than the 16th pick?
    3. Since next year's draft doesn't look deep, could the Spurs do anything through a trade that would secure a better pick in 20/21?

You say to trust the Spurs' FO to get the best pick available at the 15,16,17 pick. I don't have a problem with that. But what it leaves out is that the best player available at 7 or 8 would almost certainly be better. Very possibly a lot better. , the best player available at the 30th pick might be better than everyone else on the board, but that doesn't count for much.

One thing is for certain. Half measures are the worst possible thing. If they're going with a "win now" strategy, they need to commit to it. If they're going to use the draft and trades to build for the near future, they need to commit to that. I think there are a lot of fans in love with the idea of holding the playoff record. I get it, that's what fans do. I really, really hope that PATFO aren't thinking that way, because it won't do a thing to bring more talent, or wins, to next year's team. A #8 pick might.
    The Spurs could also get lucky a land a top 3 pick in the draft lottery.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much money will they make with one home playoff game, two at the most.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This draft is very weak.
    Every draft will have a few very good to great players.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    The time for the Spurs to miss the playoffs was last season, could have maybe got Zion. They should go for the playoff record, but they have to play better and maybe make a trade to make it happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the only wat of getting rid of Forbes is having him failing big time in playoffs. That one and having any other player being better than him in the training camp are the only reasons for Popovich to change his mind about a player. That what the Spurs history tells us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much money will they make with one home playoff game, two at the most.
    More than zero. That question is answered above.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    it's not the spurs' decision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every draft will have a few very good to great players.
    sure but some Draft is deep with ss potential and other not
    2020 is one of the weakest in both cathegories so tanking now is weaker move then normally

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not a question of whether they should "try." They are trying, and they're probably going to fail because they're just not good enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the only way of getting rid of Forbes is having to start a gofundme so we can hire a hitman and pay him to shoot up his knee caps
    FIFY

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Losing x 2 to the Hawks is a pretty good way to miss playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop's coaching has given us the answer to the playoff question.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any self-respecting Spurs fan would obviously rather see them miss the playoffs rather than get embarrassed in the 1st round. But I'll honestly just hope for whichever outcome forces Pop to retire.

Pop is the sole reason this garbage team is under-performing. You remove him from the equation and the future of the organization is much brighter tbh.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2020 is one of the weakest in both cathegories so tanking now is weaker move then normally
    You realize that this time last year there were a lot of people saying that the 2019 draft was weak, outside the top 3 players? In January of last year, not many people (besides me) were talking about Chuma Okeke, and there were articles saying that Matisse Thybulle might be worth drafting even though "most scouts" thought he wasn't even an NBA type of player. , in June of 2018 "they" were talking about how Trae Young's draft stock was falling.

There's no Zion Williamson buzz in this draft, but there will be some good players, just like every year. You might want to wait until March Madness time to decide that the draft will be a washout.

Losing x 2 to the Hawks is a pretty good way to miss playoffs.
    If Memphis and OKC keep playing at the same pace they are now, the Spurs would have to go 24-18 the rest of the way to make the playoffs. They would have to go 29-13 (.690) to move above OKC to the 7th seed. That 29-13 (.690) record just happens to be the exact record the Kawhi/PG Clippers have compiled in the first half of the season.

I hope some people can/will see that: To move up to the damn 7th seed, all the Spurs have to do is start playing exactly as good as the Clips have been so far this season. And if they get drilled during this RRT, which is likely looking at the opponents, even the chance of squeaking into the 8 seed is pretty damn slim.

This season is shot. We've gotten close to the point where even the die-hards will have to admit it. If the Hawk had missed that last shot, a lot of those die-hards would be counting it as a sign that the Spurs are still on track to get that playoff record, instead of a sign that they barely squeaked by the worst team in the East.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watch a lot of college basketball. It’s actually my favorite sports area to keep up with. Aside from the bird vs magic greatness I didn’t really get into the nba until the spurs drafted DRob.

anyways, IMO this draft is weak at the top but not in the middle to late 1st round. I’m not at all convinced that Wiseman, Edwards or Ball will be great players and if we had a top 3 pick I’d recommend trading down. They may end up being ok players but that’s not worth a top 3 pick.

Time will tell but I think players like Halliburton, Okongwu, Toppin, Carey Jr, Bey, Paul Reed, Achiuwa, Ramsey, Jalen Smith, and Nwora will all be good nba players and contributors as starters or role players off the bench. The value of this draft is middle and late 1st round with no top tier stars.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A typical Spurs playoff game boosts the team’s Revenue by ~2.5 million $USD. It isn’t chump change.
    Yep
    And the Spurs are not exactly flush with money.

LOL. 10 years ago, the Spurs franchise valuation was $400M. Today it's something over $1.6B. That $1.2B increase would only take 480 playoff games to make, even by your figure (which, by the way, is gross revenue and not operating revenue). I never said the revenue from playoff games is chump change. I specifically said that it will cost them MUCH more if they fall into perpetual mediocrity - which they are well on the road to if they don't make some smart changes.

If you two (or any of the rest of you) think that the biggest money maker for NBA owners is basketball games, you need to read a little. (Golden State has something like $2B in revenues locked in, before any revenues from operations. Small market teams don't make that much, obviously, but it's a good illustration.) The Spurs' ownership group will make a load more money by getting back to LOB contention than they could ever think about making from first round exits. And if you own an asset worth $1.6 BILLION, you don't have any problem scraping up the cash to pay the light bill.

Right now, the Spurs still have some leftover reputation as an elite franchise. If they really care about money, their focus should be long-term dominance, not a single first round exit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now, the Spurs still have some leftover reputation as an elite franchise. If they really care about money, their focus should be long-term dominance, not a single first round exit.

What are the actual stats on teams improving by intentionally missing the playoffs? How often has it happened in the last, say, 20 years? I'm trying to think of examples.

Thread Information