Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every draft will have a few very good to great players.
    Yeah ST says that every year. You can guarantee that there will be some contributors in there, and you might as well put yourself in a good position to possibly grab one if you have no chance of doing anything in the playoffs like our Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You realize that this time last year there were a lot of people saying that the 2019 draft was weak, outside the top 3 players? In January of last year, not many people (besides me) were talking about Chuma Okeke, and there were articles saying that Matisse Thybulle might be worth drafting even though "most scouts" thought he wasn't even an NBA type of player. , in June of 2018 "they" were talking about how Trae Young's draft stock was falling.

There's no Zion Williamson buzz in this draft, but there will be some good players, just like every year. You might want to wait until March Madness time to decide that the draft will be a washout.

If Memphis and OKC keep playing at the same pace they are now, the Spurs would have to go 24-18 the rest of the way to make the playoffs. They would have to go 29-13 (.690) to move above OKC to the 7th seed. That 29-13 (.690) record just happens to be the exact record the Kawhi/PG Clippers have compiled in the first half of the season.

I hope some people can/will see that: To move up to the damn 7th seed, all the Spurs have to do is start playing exactly as good as the Clips have been so far this season. And if they get drilled during this RRT, which is likely looking at the opponents, even the chance of squeaking into the 8 seed is pretty damn slim.

This season is shot. We've gotten close to the point where even the die-hards will have to admit it. If the Hawk had missed that last shot, a lot of those die-hards would be counting it as a sign that the Spurs are still on track to get that playoff record, instead of a sign that they barely squeaked by the worst team in the East.
    The consensus here every single damn year is that the draft is weak and there are likely no contributors to be found. Every year ST is proven wrong to an extent. No doubt there will be gems in there. Why not just play the young guys and let the team play into the loterry?

The DD/LMA thing was probably never going to work out anyway. No sense in dragging it out even more.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i agreed with OP until last night. it’s not that they lost, it’s how they lost

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The consensus here every single damn year is that the draft is weak and there are likely no contributors to be found. Every year ST is proven wrong to an extent. No doubt there will be gems in there. Why not just play the young guys and let the team play into the loterry?

The DD/LMA thing was probably never going to work out anyway. No sense in dragging it out even more.
    The thing is Spurs usually don't keep their talent. Joseph was not kept. Slomo, Mehami, Anderson all didn't stay. Hill, Splitter both were traded early in their extension. Obviously the big 3 stayed and Leonard was reluctantly traded. Murray only just got extended.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Using Spurstalk logic, the last time there a good draft was 2011. Every draft since then is "weak" according to the consensus here. I see quite a few intriguing players here: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...0/#140299920_9

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bold prediction....the pelicans will make the playoffs.

not counting Zion at all if the other players on the team are healthy (which they haven’t been most of the year) they are tough to beat. Now that the non-Zion players are healthy...watch out .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I fully expect this team to be 12/13 in the west at the conclusion of the RRT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any self-respecting Spurs fan would obviously rather see them miss the playoffs rather than get embarrassed in the 1st round. But I'll honestly just hope for whichever outcome forces Pop to retire.

Pop is the sole reason this garbage team is under-performing. You remove him from the equation and the future of the organization is much brighter tbh.
    This 100%

Missing or not missing playoffs makes no difference as long as Pop sticks around. We get a decent draft pick next year...so what?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is Spurs usually don't keep their talent. Joseph was not kept. Slomo, Mehami, Anderson all didn't stay. Hill, Splitter both were traded early in their extension. Obviously the big 3 stayed and Leonard was reluctantly traded. Murray only just got extended.
    The Spurs also had 3-4 core members for a long time, makes sense to rotate around a core and sell assets when they're not price controlled. The current Spurs might have a core 2, but realistically have no core. So maybe they spend longer with prospects, maybe they do a total zero out and try to amass assets. It's a new era

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any self-respecting Spurs fan would obviously rather see them miss the playoffs rather than get embarrassed in the 1st round. But I'll honestly just hope for whichever outcome forces Pop to retire.

Pop is the sole reason this garbage team is under-performing. You remove him from the equation and the future of the organization is much brighter tbh.
    Correct, but remove pop, Forbes,beli and this team still losses in the first round. This team isn't some precious egg about to hatch, it's the same post Tim Duncan slide to the bottom

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are the actual stats on teams improving by intentionally missing the playoffs? How often has it happened in the last, say, 20 years? I'm trying to think of examples.
    Golden State had some lean years and worked the draft to turn their team into a contender.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs can always package a lottery pick with one of their veterans in a trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't care if the Spurs make a couple extra game incomes in the box office. I do care if they move toward being contenders again. If they don't move that way, opting instead to try to squeak in a couple playoff games, then they're just frauds.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were not kept because most of those picks were not very good. Hill was the only player worth much of anything and all the others did little to nothing after they left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs can always package a lottery pick with one of their veterans in a trade.
    I'm thinking White and, say the 14th pick to move up or White for another pick in the teens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm thinking White and, say the 14th pick to move up or White for another pick in the teens.
    Why would a team that is rebuilding give up one of their younger players though? I guess if there is someone like Kawhi they love and that’s what it takes (George Hill) then ok. But I would not be so quick to trade the youth to move up a few spots IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The goal shouldn’t be to “eek into the playoffs”. That is arbitrary. There is nothing noble or healthy about a losing season (or even 500) even if that is good enough in a given year to make the 8th seed.

if you are a legit playoff team, that is one thing. Spurs are very clearly not that. It’s time to pick a lane. Bolster your team to win now if you truly believe in them or get the best assets (even if they aren’t great) you can to rebuild.

There is zero difference to me, playoffs or not, in winning 37-39 games and 18 games. None.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL. 10 years ago, the Spurs franchise valuation was $400M. Today it's something over $1.6B. That $1.2B increase would only take 480 playoff games to make, even by your figure (which, by the way, is gross revenue and not operating revenue). I never said the revenue from playoff games is chump change. I specifically said that it will cost them MUCH more if they fall into perpetual mediocrity - which they are well on the road to if they don't make some smart changes.

If you two (or any of the rest of you) think that the biggest money maker for NBA owners is basketball games, you need to read a little. (Golden State has something like $2B in revenues locked in, before any revenues from operations. Small market teams don't make that much, obviously, but it's a good illustration.) The Spurs' ownership group will make a load more money by getting back to LOB contention than they could ever think about making from first round exits. And if you own an asset worth $1.6 BILLION, you don't have any problem scraping up the cash to pay the light bill.

Right now, the Spurs still have some leftover reputation as an elite franchise. If they really care about money, their focus should be long-term dominance, not a single first round exit.
    GS,LAL and few others have local media deals that net them huge amounts of revenue, much less coporate sponsors.valuation is useful if you are planning on selling. The Spurs may or may not have been a team that lost money two years ago, but appear to be a team that roughly breaks even.
    That said, I think they would be better off not trying to win and rebuild at the same time.
    I think it's time to blow it up. I know many teams have drafted high for years without success, but the middle road isn't very successful either (although they pulled it off once before)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But look, while some of us saw this writing on the wall early, I fully understand those wanting to be patient and give it as much time to develop as possible.

But we are rapidly approaching the trade deadline and decision time and nothing has materialized. The team is still not worthy of investment into regarding trying to win now. Even their “best stretch” and “signs of improvement” have only yielded .500 ball. Since that 8 game losing streak they are 12-12.

They still have a losing record and will never make that up playing .500 ball and even if they had played .500 ball all season, would people really be thrilled about a 41win, no ceiling team with players you dont want to extend because you don’t believe in them enough to build around?

They were given time but what was clear to some should now be clear to everyone; this team is not built well and in no way, shape or form should be given any leash or more time.

It’s one thing to hold out hope for a team that has a ceiling and can be a legit playoff team. This team is not that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would a team that is rebuilding give up one of their younger players though? I guess if there is someone like Kawhi they love and that’s what it takes (George Hill) then ok. But I would not be so quick to trade the youth to move up a few spots IMO.
    It's player dependent; if the Spur like a player that is projected to go 7th, for example, trading White plus their pick could net them that player.

White is already 25 and will turn 26 over the summer. He is probably closer to what he is at this point. He was really good last season and not great this season. He's a pretty good player but its worth it to consider moving him before he loses value. I think George Hill is a perfect comparison.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's player dependent; if the Spur like a player that is projected to go 7th, for example, trading White plus their pick could net them that player.

White is already 25 and will turn 26 over the summer. He is probably closer to what he is at this point. He was really good last season and not great this season. He's a pretty good player but its worth it to consider moving him before he loses value. I think George Hill is a perfect comparison.
    Sure, in that regard, like finding another Kawhi it makes sense. Should still be low in the pecking order hopefully in terms of guys you are willing to move.

But I read your post as moving SA’s pick + White for another pick in the teens (so barely moving up)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Show me a Number 2 in this draft (without an uncle), and I would consider it. But we should hope Georgy is a bad comparison. He improved greatly after 26, and I wish he were a Spur to this day - especially the last two or three seasons. Pop probably missed the boat there, too. Wonder if he could have gotten even more from Indiana for TP?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, in that regard, like finding another Kawhi it makes sense. Should still be low in the pecking order hopefully in terms of guys you are willing to move.

But I read your post as moving SA’s pick + White for another pick in the teens (so barely moving up)
    Show me a Number 2 in this draft (without an uncle), and I would consider it. But we should hope Georgy is a bad comparison. He improved greatly after 26, and I wish he were a Spur to this day - especially the last two or three seasons. Pop probably missed the boat there, too. Wonder if he could have gotten even more from Indiana for TP?
    Don't have any player in mind but if PATFO does then it would make sense to consider it. Whites pretty good but not untradable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't have any player in mind but if PATFO does then it would make sense to consider it. Whites pretty good but not untradable.
    I would personally rather trade Dijon if it came down to that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would personally rather trade Dijon if it came down to that.
    I think White holds more value because he hasn't been paid yet, the team that gets him in a trade would have him as a restricted free agent. they'd be able to negotiate a new deal is apposed to another team doing it and then trading him.

Thread Information