View Poll Results: When will Pop play DJ and DW together?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rodeo Road Trip

1 3.33%
  • After Rodeo Road Trip

1 3.33%
  • Not this year buddy

11 36.67%
  • Never. Brent Forms to the end!

17 56.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [unofficial spurstalk long ass rant]
    tl;dr

Going into the year I was super hyped at our guard rotation. I was excited at the prospect of Dejounte and Derrick causing havoc on defense and making lives miserable for starting backcourts. I thought for sure the Spurs would be in the mix of things just for these two players alone. They matched up well with Portland and Houston and Utah and every other playoff team not named the Clippers.

Fast forward to the preseason and Pop refused to play them together at all. DJ was coming off an injury, so it made sense to start him slow and Derrick was apparently a little tired from his team USA play overseas. These two excuses were the ones going around as to why Pop wasn't playing them together. The last excuse was that it was preseason and those games don't matter, but what posters didn't understand is that preseason matters a great deal nowadays because they shortened it. There is less time now to get new players to gel together and by not using the preseason to do it, I knew Pop had zero plans to start these two together.

Insert excuse number 4: Spacing. We can't start these two together bc we don't have the proper spacing. I saw this excuse coming a mile away once Demar didn't attempt a single 3 in the preseason. I'm not talking about making a 3, the -made mfer didn't even bother to attempt one and he had several wide open opportunities. So Pop was "forced" to start Forms. We need him for his spacing. DJ, LMA, DDR all use up the same area on the court so we need Forms. Well we haven't won with Forms starting and are just a complete mess defensively against guards which was literally supposed to be our biggest strength going into the season. I mean if you have TWO All NBA level defenders as guards on your team the last thing you would expect would be to struggle in guarding opposing guards but here we are

Now LMA is launching 3's and Derrick is taking like 5 a game and DJ has a pretty respectable jumper and spacing isn't an issue at all. The issue is defense and only defense. And yet, still White isn't starting over Forms. And Pop gives zero thought to even playing the two together nevermind starting the two together, but he will get the orders from above to start playing them together pretty soon I expect. Once the Spurs are out of the playoff hunt (once Portland gets healthy or Memphis continues it's rise or even the Pelicans now with Zion) Pop will be forced to play the youngsters more to see what the we have in them. Can Derrick and Dejounte co-exist? Can Lonnie fit right in with them? From a front office standpoint these things have to be answered to know which free agents to sign or re-sign and who to go after in the draft.

I don't know when, my guess is March (it could be next year for all I know), but Dejounte and Derrick will be starting together. So when do you forsee this happening, if at all?

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray and White will play together if they both get traded to another team. Or if Pop decides to enter the Democrat primary, and Tim takes over the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the earliest, they would start together next season. If Pop hasn't eaten enough of the sandwich that is Bryn Forbes already, he's clearly going to wait out the season. "4d chess tanking" if you will. The best scenario for Forbes not starting is another team throws him some money to be a bench shooter (please, Philly, we're begging you!) and the Spurs have to let him go. God knows he will continue to start as long as he and Pop are on the team together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at people here still having hope it will happen at some point. He'll never do it. I expect the old man to trade one of them for a veteran PF so he can keep starting Forbes
    Last edited by RC_Drunkford; 01-16-2020 at 01:31 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Load Management plays a back to back...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When it's too late

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The last game of the regular season when they are 15 games under .500 and 14th in the west.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me see, when is freezing over ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starting together? It's mid-January and he's yet to play them together more than 2-3 minutes at a time. Yet we're talking about starting?

Name me another coach, in the history of all of sports that would go to this extent to prevent 2 of his Top 4 players from ever sharing the court. He's an stubborn, arrogant jackass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They won't ever start together much less play together as long as the old is in charge

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe they’ve experimented it at practice and they don’t work well together

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In garbage time of blowout losses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popovich is more likely to sign a seven-year deal just to keep ing Forbes playing in this league, than putting White and Murray together on court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Elimination game, down 10-14 points 4th quarter with 5 mins left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe they’ve experimented it at practice and they don’t work well together
    LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Elimination game, down 10-14 points 4th quarter with 5 mins left.
    Yep and they'll look great out there. The team will only allow 2 more pts the rest of the game while scoring 14 themselves but end up losing by 2. Too little too late.

After the game when asked about why he didn't go to White/Murray earlier in the game or even season Pop replies "it just never worked out for us"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep and they'll look great out there. The team will only allow 2 more pts the rest of the game while scoring 14 themselves but end up losing by 2. Too little too late.

After the game when asked about why he didn't go to White/Murray earlier in the game or even season Pop replies "it just never worked out for us"
    Or he wont even answer the question and just give the reporter a stupid look for doing their job.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably never . . . and I don't think he should.

Walker should be starting, but Murray and White aren't nearly dynamic enough on ball or proficient enough off ball to work as a starting back court.

Pair them with DeRozan and there's zero spacing. Pair them with a pure 3 and D type and there's not enough dynamism. Pair with someone who's useful on/off ball and there's no go-to guy.

It just doesn't make sense, which is why I'm beginning to believe there's a better chance of a White trade (not by the deadline though) than this.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well unfortunately with the extension side of it, im afraid Forbes is priority on the list before White is. Forbes will have his 5 year deal while Whites agent tells him to just play out his contract and test the free agent market cause he could play 30+ minutes in at least half of the teams out there.

Ugh...just go away Forbes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starting together? It's mid-January and he's yet to play them together more than 2-3 minutes at a time. Yet we're talking about starting?

Name me another coach, in the history of all of sports that would go to this extent to prevent 2 of his Top 4 players from ever sharing the court. He's an stubborn, arrogant jackass.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine how bad Miami would be if popovich was coaching the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol to the photo on this thread. Pop’s gesture is like the girl in the cat at the dining table meme. I wonder if some photoshoper can help us with that!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine how bad Miami would be if popovich was coaching the team.

he would start Dragic, Olynyk and James Johnson. Nunn, Adebayo and Herro would be on the bench. Adebayo would compete for bench minutes against Udonis Haslem, with Haslem getting most of those minutes.

Thread Information