Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop was probably trying to improve the defense with that trade when you think about it, but it's just one of those moves where Carroll probably wasn't fitting into the Spurs system right away. A vast majority of Pop's risky moves don't work these days and the big three likely masked that for years. Unfortunate that he gambled with Bertans thinking give 1 area to get another. That just never materialized, partially to Pop's own stubbornness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He went from playing 25 MPG on a playoff team last year to riding the bench on currently a non playoff team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel so bad for him. He could have contributed a lot to the team but is now just wasting time not even dressed

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel so bad for him. He could have contributed a lot to the team but is now just wasting time not even dressed
    Feel bad for his wife. She chose this path for him. Hopefully they will try to keep positive about it all and focus on the dollars he will be counting for few years for sitting down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have always had among the best front offices in the League.. but I guess the Demarre Carroll signing and situation is the icing on the raspberry cake of a season so far that has brought down the Spurs front office more than a few notches down. The 18-23 record is not just a case of a team being in transition, but of a completely messed up roster construction full of one-dimensional players, the lack of a 3 and D wing - the player type which has defined the modern NBA and was a core component of the winning and pioneering Spurs teams in the last decade or so.

Carroll, I guess, was supposed to be that missing 3 and D piece, but in recent years, he had shown less of an ability to really be that kind of player for teams such as the Raptors and the Nets and yet the Spurs signed him for multiple years. Granted, much of the failure is due to the domino effect of the Morris welching situation, but the dependence upon flawed, short and low wingspan players and their abundance in the team is not just a coaching issue but a front office issue too. There is no way a team can contend with Belinelli, Forbes and Mills all in the same squad and who are forced/ made to play too much minutes.

GM Brian Wright, RC and Brent Barry have a major decision to make as the trade deadline nears. They have to find ways to replace this cohort - atleast one of Forbes and Belinelli have to go while it would be a bonanza if Carroll is replaced with another wing by some means (by trading him in conjunction with others?).

This team can still grow even with its inconsistent younger lot - White, Murray, Walker and Poeltl as the core if they are given the right ingredients in other useful role players (hopefully good wings) to support them. Maybe a Robert Covington can be had in this market.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not rationalizing it just saying that he's still better than those cones on defense.

Every time I see Carroll he makes an ill-advised drive to the basket in garbage time.
    That's how vets play in garbage time, when they don't often see the floor. Last season Cunningham shot 3s aggressively in garbage time but hesitated to take them when he was in the rotation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have always had among the best front offices in the League.. but I guess the Demarre Carroll signing and situation is the icing on the raspberry cake of a season so far that has brought down the Spurs front office more than a few notches down. The 18-23 record is not just a case of a team being in transition, but of a completely messed up roster construction full of one-dimensional players, the lack of a 3 and D wing - the player type which has defined the modern NBA and was a core component of the winning and pioneering Spurs teams in the last decade or so.

Carroll, I guess, was supposed to be that missing 3 and D piece, but in recent years, he had shown less of an ability to really be that kind of player for teams such as the Raptors and the Nets and yet the Spurs signed him for multiple years. Granted, much of the failure is due to the domino effect of the Morris welching situation, but the dependence upon flawed, short and low wingspan players and their abundance in the team is not just a coaching issue but a front office issue too. There is no way a team can contend with Belinelli, Forbes and Mills all in the same squad and who are forced/ made to play too much minutes.

GM Brian Wright, RC and Brent Barry have a major decision to make as the trade deadline nears. They have to find ways to replace this cohort - atleast one of Forbes and Belinelli have to go while it would be a bonanza if Carroll is replaced with another wing by some means (by trading him in conjunction with others?).

This team can still grow even with its inconsistent younger lot - White, Murray, Walker and Poeltl as the core if they are given the right ingredients in other useful role players (hopefully good wings) to support them. Maybe a Robert Covington can be had in this market.
    Good post. The signing is an indication of a dysfunctional organization that can't make up its mind as to what the future of basketball looks like. The Spurs invented the future in 2014 and then completely forgot about it in the last 6 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good post. The signing is an indication of a dysfunctional organization that can't make up its mind as to what the future of basketball looks like. The Spurs invented the future in 2014 and then completely forgot about it in the last 6 years.
    A big part of the confusion is Pops refusing to retire. The team just cannot move forward with a plan. They are stuck on a half now half future treadmill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really. They have a youth movement going. There best players are their vets. It's not a bad plan tbh. They also are bring in the youth slowly and have cap space after next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really. They have a youth movement going. There best players are their vets. It's not a bad plan tbh. They also are bring in the youth slowly and have cap space after next season.
    The NBA has moved on from Pop. His style is just confusing at this point (see Bryn Forbes / Mills / Belli lineups, Bertans wasting way on the bench, etc.).

The team cannot move forward in a clear direction until he leaves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NBA has moved on from Pop. His style is just confusing at this point (see Bryn Forbes / Mills / Belli lineups, Bertans wasting way on the bench, etc.).

The team cannot move forward in a clear direction until he leaves.
    Looking at Becky Hammon having to tell him to challenge an obvious bad call in the Heat game just made me look at him sadly. I'm sure he was just gonna let the play happen and let it be a teaching lesson. I've loved Pop, but time passes us all by. When he realize Lonnie an Murray ain't gonna be is Big 3 "Yes Men", he'll walk away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    poop is done. He screwed up nephew, signed Gasol & patty to bad contracts, made a dubious trade for ddr, plays forbes and beli, siged carroll and stiffs lonnie who should be playing the 3rd or 4th most minutes on the team.
    poop's time is over. he needs to quit and go off and yell at the clouds

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    poop is done. He screwed up nephew, signed Gasol & patty to bad contracts, made a dubious trade for ddr, plays forbes and beli, siged carroll and stiffs lonnie who should be playing the 3rd or 4th most minutes on the team.
    poop's time is over. he needs to quit and go off and yell at the clouds
    Don't forget trading Danny Green so Bryn Forbes can start at his position

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Carroll doesn’t get it and I don’t think he cares that’s why he’s not playing I guess. That’s the only thing I can see on this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So poop signed a guy who doesn’t get it and does not care if he’s playing.
    Brilliant move by drunk ass poop.
    Dude just sits there collecting checks.
    When the Spurs desperately need a 6’8” dude who can shoot and play some D.
    Way to go poop. You are the best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    he does mention "staying positive" on a lot of his tweets from this season poor dude must seriously regret coming here

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at Becky Hammon having to tell him to challenge an obvious bad call in the Heat game just made me look at him sadly. I'm sure he was just gonna let the play happen and let it be a teaching lesson. I've loved Pop, but time passes us all by. When he realize Lonnie an Murray ain't gonna be is Big 3 "Yes Men", he'll walk away.

A damn shame that pop didn't want to challenge when there was only a minute and some change left in the game. Bless Becky.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A damn shame that pop didn't want to challenge when there was only a minute and some change left in the game. Bless Becky.
    Its almost like he dont give a . Seriously

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He must read Spurstalk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Carroll is not the only one who does not get Pop these days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its almost like he dont give a . Seriously
    I remember when the season started it took what seemed like forever for Pop to finally use one. I think we went the 1st 10 or so games without using a challenge even though opposing teams were using theirs quite effectively against us on a nightly basis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now Rudy gay has been missing for a couple of games. Pop has really became a tyrant this season

Thread Information