Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Becky looks like it is taking all of her self-control to keep from exploding. She is really biting her tongue here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy's Legacy Is secure. Pop's is too.

Becky?

Is her Retired San Antonio Stars Jersey Still in the Att Center bruah? That Team Doesn't even exist since Spurs Sports, and Entertainment(ok let us say its the Holtz fault and not Poop and his brain trust) sold that B to Las Vegas. Is her number actually hanging in the rafters in Vegas as A Las Vegas Ace when she never wore that joint. Spurs Sports and Entertainment(...cough Pop....) only retired her Jersey when The New York Liberty(Shout out to JD & The Straight Shot) put her in Their ring of Honor. Becks Retired in 2014 and her Jersey Retired June 2016.

Pop can say like, "its only basketball," and Timmy can nod along but is it only basketball to Becky. It has never been. She became a Russian Citizen just to play and win a Bronze Medal because of the Mean Girl's Club that is the Women's National Team( Anne Donovan, you Ignorant Basketball ). She took her School to the sweet sixteen and wasn't even Drafted and turned her WNBA career into Allstar Appearances, ring of Honors, Retired Jerseys, and Possibly enshrinement in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame.

Do you know what insures HER LEGACY?

Being the First Women's Head Coach in The NBA.

But this "What evs" Pop aint going to ruin those chances or Tarnish HER coaching. I mean fools like Coach X can't be the only ones saying,

"what's different from last year Pop and Spurs and this?

The Coaching Staff Sucks!!"

Yeah, her jersey is hanging in the AT&T center. Its not with the Spurs ones though its to the left side by itself.

Also i didn't think Timmy did much when i was just watching on TV but when i go to the games i see him talking and interacting with the players quite a bit. He doesn't talk much around the other coaches, i think in his mind he is still one of the players and he is helping them from a players perspective.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our assistant coaches aren't stupid or anything like that. They're just unexperienced. All of them. First season in the front of the bench. All of them.

Becky will be great, she's just humbly adapting to the role and not forcing the issue because she's smart. Hardy is just young and learning. Tim Duncan is having his first coaching experience. Anyway, you can't compare them to the knowledge and experience of the usual assistant coaches the Spurs have had. Borrego, Udoka and more where rookies in the front of the bench one time as well but next to them there were seated the Budenholzer, Messina, etc. On the season with the roster most needed of coaching in the last 20 years, the Spurs assistant coaches are also learning how to do their jobs. Bad planning by PATFO, November revealed, December and January still bringing it to light.

Only a fool wouldn't recognize the value of the experience and knowledge. Only a fool would confuse noticing underexposure with pointing out inability.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    omg i actually watched this (my mistake) and wtf is this supposed to show?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was not a big believer in coach Becky but the way Pop has coached has made her look brilliant. Maybe that has been Pops plan all along.
    Last edited by dbestpro; 01-23-2020 at 09:58 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy , some people really have no life... Who the takes even 30 sec. of his life to make a ridiculous gif like that?

Totally obsessed by an NBA coach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't feed the re .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our assistant coaches aren't stupid or anything like that. They're just unexperienced. All of them. First season in the front of the bench. All of them.

Becky will be great, she's just humbly adapting to the role and not forcing the issue because she's smart. Hardy is just young and learning. Tim Duncan is having his first coaching experience. Anyway, you can't compare them to the knowledge and experience of the usual assistant coaches the Spurs have had. Borrego, Udoka and more where rookies in the front of the bench one time as well but next to them there were seated the Budenholzer, Messina, etc. On the season with the roster most needed of coaching in the last 20 years, the Spurs assistant coaches are also learning how to do their jobs. Bad planning by PATFO, November revealed, December and January still bringing it to light.

Only a fool wouldn't recognize the value of the experience and knowledge. Only a fool would confuse noticing underexposure with pointing out inability.
    You paint a very compelling picture. But it it does beg the question of how much Pop has leaned on his assistants throughout his career... and did he not realize how much himself when he put together this staff? Was having one of Tim or Manu alongside him so important that he neglected to consider the dearth of experience of his staff? Could he not bring himself to hire a strong, experienced assistant from outside the “family?”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was not a big believer in coach Becky but the way Pop has coached has made her look brilliany. Maybe that has been Pops plan all along.
    Interesting theory. Pop is purposely mis-coaching to goad Becky to shed her reluctance to step up.
    Could be working.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy , some people really have no life... Who the takes even 30 sec. of his life to make a ridiculous gif like that?

Totally obsessed by an NBA coach
    Member from 2 decades passed

CHECK

Bolded

CHECK

SNIF SNIFF

Bolded Donk DONKING
    yes very confused

and why the drew carey alt?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes very confused

and why the drew carey alt?
    Yeah I've noticed this dude too he's ing annoying.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow! What a breakthrough idea! Subs ute for a better defense player! Why didn't the Spurs think of this before???

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spot on. The Spurs lost a lot experience on the bench in the summer but people generally underestimate the influence of the assistant coaches. Just building the relationship with the other staff and the players takes a while.

Messina, specifically, has been a very underappreciated figure. People loved to hate on him and perhaps he was never made to be an NBA team coach, but as an assistant, especially defensively, he’s brought so much to the team. He knows the game so well and undoubtedly is missed a lot more than anyone projected when he left.

I’ve no idea why Ime left, he would have been the main assistant next to Pop, just as he is in Philly. Perhaps PATFO never thought of him as the next in line to coach, perhaps they’ve pushed Becky ahead. But we definitely know Ime had great relationship with the players and being replaced isn’t very easy, same as Messina’s contribution.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You paint a very compelling picture. But it it does beg the question of how much Pop has leaned on his assistants throughout his career... and did he not realize how much himself when he put together this staff? Was having one of Tim or Manu alongside him so important that he neglected to consider the dearth of experience of his staff? Could he not bring himself to hire a strong, experienced assistant from outside the “family?”
    We don't know what happened during the summer in the coaching staff. Probably Udoka and Messina departures were decided during the past season. Did they just wanted to leave or were they forced to do it because they didn't see progression in the future? I have no idea. Anyway, Popovich, Bufford and company should have found an experienced NBA coach/assistant coach to be part of the team this season.

Maybe they consider Becky the best next head coach option and I'm totally fine with that but it'd have helped to have some additional experience on that bench this season. There is space for a Manu/Tim as well, I'm thinking on delaying Harvey's progression at least one/two seasons (maybe assign him to the Toros as Head Coach would have been good for him after 10 years already with the Spurs, 4 as assistant). How many years was Chad Forcier in the second line? Oh, that's another point: we are also inexperienced in the second line of the coaching team. We still have the best developement coach in the NBA in Chip Engeland but Mitch Johnson is a rookie (assistant for the Toros) and that's all in term of familiar faces or experienced coaches.

There is a lot of corporate knowledge in our coaching team but we are missing real basketball coaching experience outside of the Spurs bubble. Like the players, coaches learn through experiences: the richer the experience, the wider the learning. Becky has lived a lot of basketball, that's why probably the Spurs see a lot of potential on her, she just needs some time as first assistant in the NBA and she'll be ready. It'd have been great for her developement to have Udoka (or similar) next to her one more year. Hardy is new in his role as well and a veteran would have facilitated Hammon's transition. Is PATFO not only planning promoting Becky but also Hardy as his right hand?

Through the years, there is a trend in Spurs: coaches take care of players since the moment they arrive and they work together all season long, even season after season. I see DeJounte's progression linked to Hammon, she was his developement coach initially. If you observe regularly the bench and the timeouts you will recognize this relations. Our roster is younger than ever and we have been needing this kind of mentorship from preseason but we are short of coaches for that ammount of young and new players (probably nobody has taken enough care of Carroll). Duncan is probably doing a lot of great work in this area but he's just one person and we need help with a lot of players. Sure Becky can do that as well and Chip and Popovich too but somebody also needs to prepare gameplan.

I can tell you preparing gameplan in a league becomes easyier the more seasons you have been doing it in that league, because most of the teams continue with the same coach and system so there is a lot of work already done. It doesn't matter how much film the video coordinators watch and edit, at the end, there is a coach making decissions and prioritizing what to do and what not. That's a very important job in a professional team and I can imagine our assistants trying their best but it was obvious they struggeled until December. Either the plan wasn't good or the players were unable of executing it, so more individual coaching was needed. Anyway, we were short of coaching knowledge/experience.

I'm not criticizng any of our coaches, I like them. I just think the club's coaching team wasn't adequate for this particular season. We needed better planning.

After hitting rock bottom in November, team is starting to look decent in January. Learning processes take time. Good news are that the team and our coaches can only be better from this point.

Thread Information