My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trade him while he plays pretty well because it wont last long

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Send derozen back to the raptors for something useful in the future.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    harden is friends with demar so... demar, rudy, marco, jakob, bryn, 2020 1st round pick, 2020 2nd round pick for WB, pj tucker, and capela.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    harden is friends with demar so... demar, rudy, marco, jakob, bryn, 2020 1st round pick, 2020 2nd round pick for WB, pj tucker, and capela.
    crazy but i like it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the opposite of "blow it up."

That's like let's make what we need to blow up even bigger.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol. This is crazy and yet beautiful at the same time. I would prefer this over doing nothing.

WB/Murray
    White/Mills
    PJ/Walker
    LMA/Lyles
    Capela/Metu

Better lineup than we have now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe, but I'd prefer that than the Spurs locked in to being DeMar's team for another 3 years. No thanks!
    In two off seasons time we should have enough for a max player. With LMA probably gone, DD would be welcomed. That is the aim though, not next season, but in two. We would know what Murray/White/Walker/Poeltl would provide or be traded for a better fit, then DD, plus a max.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In two off seasons time we should have enough for a max player. With LMA probably gone, DD would be welcomed. That is the aim though, not next season, but in two. We would know what Murray/White/Walker/Poeltl would provide or be traded for a better fit, then DD, plus a max.
    Forget about superstars altogether. Stars, unless they're from here, consider it home for family reasons or are European, no chance.

Even then, one of the young guards or an upcoming pick would probably have to look like a star in the making just to get in the game.

DeRozan would literally be the least likely type to appeal to stars because he can't space the floor or defend and I'm guessing no prime star wants to play second fiddle to an aging pseudo one.

Considering the unlikelihood, non glamour markets shouldn't be planning their future with max cap space in mind.

They should be building through the draft and building up enough depth to trade for need thereafter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely no stars are signing here. Free cap space is a waste for the spurs. Only way to improve is through trades and the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely no stars are signing here. Free cap space is a waste for the spurs. Only way to improve is through trades and the draft.
    You never know. And also, more of a reason to extend DD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tough one.

Realistically, he's worth extending only if he continues at his current level ( las couple of weeks ) for the duration of the contract.

I really much doubt that he would.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His value won't ever be higher... Trade him at the deadline if the Spurs can find any partners at all. If not, trade him in the off-season. No team with DeMar at the helm will ever be successful, no point in delaying the tank and taking minutes/touches from young players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In the East, with Lowry, a top 15 regular season player and one of the deeper teams in the league, that was always better with him off the floor.

I don't get what people like you are so scared of? This notion that if the young guards can't elevate, they'll be screwed, is foolish because the team sucks as is. If they suck a little more without him (depending on the return, they could easily not), that just means they'll increase the odds of landing an elite talent.

It's time this organization stops being so conservative. When the Jazz lost Hayward, they gave the ball to Mitc , their rookie 13th pick and look at them now. The Pacers have been without Oladipo for a year and had no other stars at the time. Turns out roughly a half season of Bogdanovic taking on the role, followed by the signing of Brogdon and expanding Sabonis' role, were enough to remain a solid team.

Eh, I had a long response to this, but it's been hashed out too many times at this point. Cliff Notes: They can get a lot worse and understandably may not want to do that. The Spurs can tank whenever, so there's nothing smart about doing it now and nothing "scared" about wait. Walker and the other young guards need to show more in the context of LMA and DMDR before projecting them. Giving them the keys and hoping it makes them stars is the fast way to become another Wolves or Suns. Trading DeRozan understanding that they're likely to get worse and thus getting mostly future value makes way more sense than trading him for worse players at different positions and hoping guys step up to fill the gap. That'd be a worse version of what the Spurs did with Leonard. If DeRozan, like Leonard, forces PATFO's hands, then maybe they have to do such a trade. But they're more likely to be a better team with DeRozan as the three for the next few years than with a guy with two more inches but way less talent like Gordon.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade lma. Hes soft. Hes terrible at defense. Hes fat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The moment Murray wants to shoot the three more than drive to the hoop is when you can trade DDR.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The moment Murray wants to shoot the three more than drive to the hoop is when you can trade DDR.
    Why? So the only spur that can score consistently in the paint and make plays for others is traded?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade, trade, trade. I don't understand how anyone could advocate for a No 3 & No D small forward in today's NBA. It's a guaranteed recipe that'll make championships impossible. How many seasons and playoffs in a row does DeRozan have to post hugely negative advanced stats before people stop thinking his scoring is a difference maker? In eleven seasons, his teams were better ten times with him OFF the floor, and his ON/OFF +/- per 100 possessions this season is -8.4, the worst of his career. In seven playoff series, his teams have always, 100% of the time, been better with him off the floor, with last year's -25.8 rating being the worst of his career, and one of the absolute worst in the entire playoffs... and keep in mind, that was in a series that went seven games and was even with a minute to go in Game 7.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...derozde01.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [/LEFT]

Eh, I had a long response to this, but it's been hashed out too many times at this point. Cliff Notes: They can get a lot worse and understandably may not want to do that. The Spurs can tank whenever, so there's nothing smart about doing it now and nothing "scared" about wait. Walker and the other young guards need to show more in the context of LMA and DMDR before projecting them. Giving them the keys and hoping it makes them stars is the fast way to become another Wolves or Suns. Trading DeRozan understanding that they're likely to get worse and thus getting mostly future value makes way more sense than trading him for worse players at different positions and hoping guys step up to fill the gap. That'd be a worse version of what the Spurs did with Leonard. If DeRozan, like Leonard, forces PATFO's hands, then maybe they have to do such a trade. But they're more likely to be a better team with DeRozan as the three for the next few years than with a guy with two more inches but way less talent like Gordon.
    Do you really see a difference in a 35-38 win team and a 20-25 win team? I don’t. I don’t care about being a better team with DeRozan if that means at best a .500 team with no ceiling.

I’d rather be “worse” with lottery picks; both from a more exciting brand of basketball to watch and a better shot at becoming more than a 35–40 win team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so we are trading for a Ballhog PG who cannot shoot, a 34-year old PF and a center in todays’s NBA while giving up all the future cap space and our picks?

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so we are trading for a Ballhog PG who cannot shoot, a 34-year old PF and a center in todays’s NBA while giving up all the future cap space and our picks?
    wb has more assists than any other our guard, capela is a great center for years and we need this kind of players, cap space is
    useless for us bc no FA is coming here, 2020 draft is weak despite maybe 2-3 players so picks arent so valuable.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This idea that we would be worse without DeRozan is a fallacy. This would force Pop to lean on White & Walker for their wing scoring. It would improve spacing and we would be better defensively. Imagine the defensive trio of Murray, White & Walker starting.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This idea that we would be worse without DeRozan is a fallacy. This would force Pop to lean on White & Walker for their wing scoring. It would improve spacing and we would be better defensively. Imagine the defensive trio of Murray, White & Walker starting.
    I actually agree with this. I’m not sold moving DDR or LaM would really trend us down much further. I don’t think a trade moves the needle much in either direction but it might yield a future asset and I’m all for that over the 8th seed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you really see a difference in a 35-38 win team and a 20-25 win team? I don’t. I don’t care about being a better team with DeRozan if that means at best a .500 team with no ceiling.

I’d rather be “worse” with lottery picks; both from a more exciting brand of basketball to watch and a better shot at becoming more than a 35–40 win team.
    1) That's you, and while you can feel that way it's just your opinion.

2) They're about at that level despite not really trying to win now. It's actually more attainable to become a soild 45-47--win team by selling their future than by hoping their lotto picks pan out. Remember, Minnesota, Sacramento and Phoenix would love to win that much with their young cores.
    3) Even if tanking is the right thing to do, trading DeRozan for present value/fliers isn't conducive to that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah. DeRozan's penetration provides spacing for the shooters. You can't seriously watch Murray and Walker drive on a set defense and think they can fill in for DeRozan. The only way the offense doesn't fall apart os if LMA has yet another resurgence. And I have no idea why trading DeRozan means Forbes no longer starts. If anything, I think it'd make Pop want Bryn out there even more to carry the offensive load you're assuming would go to White and Walker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah. DeRozan's penetration provides spacing for the shooters. You can't seriously watch Murray and Walker drive on a set defense and think they can fill in for DeRozan. The only way the offense doesn't fall apart os if LMA has yet another resurgence. And I have no idea why trading DeRozan means Forbes no longer starts. If anything, I think it'd make Pop want Bryn out there even more to carry the offensive load you're assuming would go to White and Walker.
    I agree. We need to trade Bryn. Ship him to Philly for a second round pick. We need a roster overhaul on the back end, not necessarily the front end. I'm not a huge DDR fan but he should work well with the youngins since he can consistently get into the paint. It's on Murray and White to up their game and learn to up their 3s (both in volume and fg%).

BUT we need to gt rid of Forbes, Belli, and Carrol. Just by doing that alone we would make the playoffs. In the offseason we should sign Morris again

Thread Information