Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antoni...-or-not-trade/

The Gist: Trade possible, extension possible, standing pat and riding it out- probable

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade lma hes the worst.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Appreciate the work you have been putting in. What are your personal thoughts on what they should do?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whether you want to trade him or keep him, DeMar signing a reasonable extension would be good for the Spurs. Simply put, the path to getting better isn't just putting the ball in the young guards' hands and having them carry the load. Yeah, you could max DeRozan and really hurt yourself in the long run. But something similar to what he's making for three more years wouldn't be bad at all, they could still create cap for a big name if he stays on the roster or still move him. If he doesn't want to stay, then you have to look at trading him. If he's willing to sign a good deal, you do that. If he doesn't want to leave but wants SA to max him, well, I'd say it could make sense to just wait it out. I don't see anyone willing to go all the way for him this off-season, and once he sees that, he might be willing to come down considerably. If he walks, try to work out a sign-and-trade. I'm not sure the team can expect a bigger haul for DeRozan this season than they'd get in a S&T anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whether you want to trade him or keep him, DeMar signing a reasonable extension would be good for the Spurs. Simply put, the path to getting better isn't just putting the ball in the young guards' hands and having them carry the load. Yeah, you could max DeRozan and really hurt yourself in the long run. But something similar to what he's making for three more years wouldn't be bad at all, they could still create cap for a big name if he stays on the roster or still move him. If he doesn't want to stay, then you have to look at trading him. If he's willing to sign a good deal, you do that. If he doesn't want to leave but wants SA to max him, well, I'd say it could make sense to just wait it out. I don't see anyone willing to go all the way for him this off-season, and once he sees that, he might be willing to come down considerably. If he walks, try to work out a sign-and-trade. I'm not sure the team can expect a bigger haul for DeRozan this season than they'd get in a S&T anyway.
    We’ve seen who he is his entire career and for whatever reason he doesn’t seem to impact things too positively. At his age, what type of work would you have to do to build any sort of truly compe ive team around him and to what end?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude isn't doing anything but leading the spurs to another 1st round exit...

You sign him how does Lonnie get on the court...or Keldon get on the court...or Luka get on the court...

The future of the San Antonio Spurs shouldn't involve a 30 year old guard who has as many flaws as Derozan...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless the Magic offer Aaron Gordon and a first-round pick, I'd keep him and try to make a playoff push this year. Then trade him next year when he's an expiring contract (he'll likely opt in this summer) to some fringe contender desperate to make a championship push.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then trade him next year when he's an expiring contract (he'll likely opt in this summer) to some fringe contender desperate to make a championship push.

None of those teams will want DDR, because he doesn't shoot 3s.

As far as trading him this midseason, dream on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This place will have a rude awakening if we move on from him. It would take a Walker explosion to make us relevant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’ve seen who he is his entire career and for whatever reason he doesn’t seem to impact things too positively. At his age, what type of work would you have to do to build any sort of truly compe ive team around him and to what end?
    I think we've seen him make the playoffs six years in a row while a lot of "higher-impact" players like Covington can't seem to ever get there. It's hard to see the Spurs as a contender with DeRozan as a top-two players on the team. But that doesn't mean that the path to contention is any clearer with DeRozan traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless the Magic offer Aaron Gordon and a first-round pick, I'd keep him and try to make a playoff push this year. Then trade him next year when he's an expiring contract (he'll likely opt in this summer) to some fringe contender desperate to make a championship push.
    Gordon AND a 1st for Dumbmar? You are dreaming. I hope your dreams come true on a very regular basis!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade lma hes the worst.
    If he starts shooting .500 from 3 for the rest of his career, I'll regret it then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we've seen him make the playoffs six years in a row while a lot of "higher-impact" players like Covington can't seem to ever get there. It's hard to see the Spurs as a contender with DeRozan as a top-two players on the team. But that doesn't mean that the path to contention is any clearer with DeRozan traded.
    Well, yeah, DeRozan is better than Covington, but that’s not the point. You aren’t contending with DeRozan, I think we know that and I find it hard to believe even with a max spot you can get someone better than LMA to pair with him.

So knowing that, while he’s a good player, what we see is what we get and it’s not good enough. So why keep it going? Just because he’s the best option now, does not make it a good option.

Rebuilding, over time, has a better shot at getting the team to a higher ceiling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Appreciate the work you have been putting in. What are your personal thoughts on what they should do?
    Thanks.

If not a trade to Orlando for Gordon and their first round pick, I would prefer them to extend him.

Something around 3 years $80 million sounds more than fair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dont want any part of derozan once his current deal and his prime expires

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This place will have a rude awakening if we move on from him. It would take a Walker explosion to make us relevant.
    Wait, do you think the Spurs are relevant? They're multiple games under. 500 halfway through the season and battling with a bunch of other lottery teams to get swept by the Lakers in the first round. Expect much more of this is demar is extended. He's a no impact, empty calories type of player.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is zero path to contention with DeRozan. None.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Extending Demar would only work in a situation where the team was built like the Bucks. Star can't shoot(though, Giannis is at least trying), but he's surrounded by shooters top to bottom. Restructuring the roster to fit Demar at his age seems foolhardy, so trading him appears to be the best option going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait, do you think the Spurs are relevant? They're multiple games under. 500 halfway through the season and battling with a bunch of other lottery teams to get swept by the Lakers in the first round. Expect much more of this is demar is extended. He's a no impact, empty calories type of player.
    It would look worse without DD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude isn't doing anything but leading the spurs to another 1st round exit...

You sign him how does Lonnie get on the court...or Keldon get on the court...or Luka get on the court...

The future of the San Antonio Spurs shouldn't involve a 30 year old guard who has as many flaws as Derozan...
    Lonnie and Keldon can get on the court next season, pretty easily, if they let Bryn and Beli walk in free agency.

Murray, Walker, DDR, PF, Aldridge
    Mills, White, Keldon, Gay, Jakob

I think that that's fairly likely, actually.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Orlando's not interested in making that deal, I would resign him three years, $80 million and then trade try to trade him 6 months later.

That's actually a good price for the DeRozan, team's might be interested in him at the number- knowing that he is locked up for two more seasons after next.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard to picture DeRozan as a piece of some future contending Spurs team -- that's probably the bottom line.

But in the meantime, he's carrying a flawed team with his own flawed (but very high energy) game.

In other words, can't live with him, can't live without him.

The resolution of this situation should speak volumes about the Spurs' thinking and their direction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just let him walk tbh. All of the trade scenarios are trash (unless by some miracle we get a top 10 pick). Taking on more salary and more years for another player doesn't make sense. Just take the L and move on from him

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would look worse without DD.
    Maybe, but I'd prefer that than the Spurs locked in to being DeMar's team for another 3 years. No thanks!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the East, with Lowry, a top 15 regular season player and one of the deeper teams in the league, that was always better with him off the floor.

I don't get what people like you are so scared of? This notion that if the young guards can't elevate, they'll be screwed, is foolish because the team sucks as is. If they suck a little more without him (depending on the return, they could easily not), that just means they'll increase the odds of landing an elite talent.

It's time this organization stops being so conservative. When the Jazz lost Hayward, they gave the ball to Mitc , their rookie 13th pick and look at them now. The Pacers have been without Oladipo for a year and had no other stars at the time. Turns out roughly a half season of Bogdanovic taking on the role, followed by the signing of Brogdon and expanding Sabonis' role, were enough to remain a solid team.

Lonnie and Keldon can get on the court next season, pretty easily, if they let Bryn and Beli walk in free agency.

Murray, Walker, DDR, PF, Aldridge
    Mills, White, Keldon, Gay, Jakob

I think that that's fairly likely, actually.

Not enough shooting to be feasible.

If Orlando's not interested in making that deal, I would resign him three years, $80 million and then trade try to trade him 6 months later.

That's actually a good price for the DeRozan, team's might be interested in him at the number- knowing that he is locked up for two more seasons after next.
    He could jut opt in and/or extend as part of a trade. They don't have to give it to him first and then turn around and trade him 6 months later (not a great look).

Thread Information