My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brynt played 33 mins too much tbh
    Lma had as many rebounds as the impossing marco benelli

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish White would play like he has friends and family watching all the time. He's a different player when they are there

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades as always.

Can't agree on Forbes's A despite his hot shooting in the first half. I thought he was one of the main reasons we almost choked the game away. You just can't play Forbes 33 minutes in an NBA game.

Actually unlike most people here I prefer Beli to Forbes in the closing line-up (given one should be there; otherwise I obviously prefer none of them). Beli has a much higher bbiq

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also: Pop went for White-Murray lineup, and it looked ugly :-(

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know how to react with Spurs winning with heavy Forbes snd Marco in the lineup. Suns are not a very good perimeter defense team. That said it’s justified. But Pop should have not inserted Marco when Suns went on a 15-0 run. I would’ve put Lonnie on Booker. White needs to play like this aggressive every night. He was going to the rim with gusto and letting them fly without hesitation. A good win, but Spurs need to work on clamping the defense and not to gove the lead away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White was on Booker when he got really hot. Not Beli. Beli switched on him a few times though. Murray should have checked Booker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This game is a PERFECT example of why Bryn should only be a heat check 3rd stringer, not a starter playing major minutes.

You bring him in, if he’s feeling it, give him more minutes. Once he goes cold, put his ass back on the bench because he is worthless in every other aspect of the game, especially defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White when he’s on is such a joy to watch, he’s got the full package - sneaky athleticism, shooting, driving, playmaking. If he could put it all together consistently he’ll be incredible. Seems like small-ish nagging injuries have been bothering him every season and it takes him a while to get in rhythm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They've had no practice together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They haven’t played much together so that wasn’t a surprise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes shot great and scored 24 points while giving up 37.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes shot great and scored 24 points while giving up 37.
    Not that I'm doubting you, but where did you come up with that number.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They've had no practice together.
    I'm not saying they had. It was just sad to see they struggled. Which may mean less of that going forward.

I'd like to see a real run for Murray-White-Lonnie-DDR-LMA against small-ballish opponents, or Murray-White-Lonnie-Gay-LMA against anybody

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not saying they had. It was just sad to see they struggled. Which may mean less of that going forward.

Right, not an argument, just a comment.

It properly ought to mean more of them together, so they can work things out, but I suppose Pop will keep doing the same old thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White was on Booker when he got really hot. Not Beli. Beli switched on him a few times though. Murray should have checked Booker.

The one I saw shut Booker down was Lonnie. Fourth quarter, about half a minute gone by, Booker at the arc, left wing, Lonnie kept him from shooting.

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the write up Timvp.
    Starting to see another consistent theme in your write ups about Dejounte- ran the offense poorly-
    Is he pushing too hard, is it the presence ofDeRozan, I know he was out all year but he does not seem to have a natural feel as a point guard, where as Derrick White cant play consistently but seems on a ledge to make a leap to another level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I co-sign this post.

Edit: . Forgot to reply with quote. Post #4 about Beli playing more than Bryn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw several signs that DeRozen was tired in the 4th of a B2B. Shots falling short, losing the ball on the dribble on drives, etc. Both he and LMA may need more rest during B2B games these days. We are slowly realizing that Lonnie can't yet walk on water every game. Some good, some bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades Timvp!

I hate the minutes that Belli is getting. He's clearly lost a step, so seeing him play big minutes is just burdening the team most nights. I'm not sure why we signed Carroll at all, and, thanks to the Morris signing debacle, we've got this guy who's serving no purpose signed to a bigger deal. Pop needs to figure out how to use him, or the Spurs should really turn him loose. I'd rather see the Spurs start auditioning some G-leaguers on 10-days then see Carroll glued to the bench and Marco playing 20+ minutes. Great that Forbes had that 1 in 10 good game.

It's been a confusing season watching Pop at the reins. Head scratching decisions basically every game.

That being said, a win is a win. Sweeping a b2b is pretty nice.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    TIM MVP:

I sometimes doubt we are watching the same game.

Yes Forbes played better, but at best a B- not an A. He was still terrible at defense.

Poeltl was not weak on the Glass or Boxing out. It is just hard to Rebound when Poeltl has sometimes to play against 3 opponents around the board without help from his teammates. Also take into account how the ball bounces, sometimes he just is not in the position to rebound.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bryn Forbes

I know what a lot of you are thinking: "Forbes had an A first half, and an D second half, and the two should average out to about a C+ performance for the night". And some of you are thinking: "White was consistent throughout, scored more point than Bryn, had higher FG percentages than Bryn, AND had 7 AST's. But White still gets a lower grade than Bryn." And all of that is true. But if I give Bryn the C+ he deserves, then I have to talk about Pop's decision to keep him in the game after he cooled off - and that would up the B- that I planned on giving Pop.

Not only that, but this one game really justifies Pop's decision to keep going with Bryn in the SL, game after game. Because THIS is the Forbes Pop sees every time he takes the floor. (If only benching him would make him better, the way it does Lonnie.) Put it all together, and Forbes was clearly the best player on the team tonight.

Pop

Pop gets a B- on the basis of a W. If the Spurs had blown a 20 point lead and lost to Phoenix on the basis of the exact same game plan by Pop, it would have been one of the worst losses of a season full of terrible losses. But the Suns wanted it even less than the Spurs, and that's almost the same thing as a good coaching job by Pop.

Imagine my relief when that last shot by Booker went wide. TBH, I was hoping that the Suns would go for a 2-pointer, so the Spurs could at least have a shot at O/T against the Suns' depleted roster, and I could compliment Pop for the way he got the team to pull together. But this way works out even better, and Pop once again proves why he's smarter than a bunch of people watching the game at home.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I loved last night's game...

Bryn's performance probably just cemented the Spurs missing the playoffs since it guaranteed him a permanent spot in the SL (I mean he probably already had that). , it might have just moved his upcoming extension from 4yr to 5yrs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White when he’s on is such a joy to watch, he’s got the full package - sneaky athleticism, shooting, driving, playmaking. If he could put it all together consistently he’ll be incredible. Seems like small-ish nagging injuries have been bothering him every season and it takes him a while to get in rhythm.
    I agree. He is literally the perfect type of role player in today’s nba with the ability to add value even in off scoring nights. But he has a lot of tools on offense; more than say a Covington type player.

He just has to get healthy as you mentioned and then more consistent. Let’s hope the former is influencing the latter more than we know.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can’t chalk this team’s struggles up to effort this season (although I’ve stated before LMA and Derozan were lackadaisical to start). In the past, I seriously think they took games off. This season’s Spurs don’t really take games off, they just have very inconsistent execution. Good win though, even if they almost fumbled it away. Thanks for the grades!

Thread Information