Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who exactly classifies the 90% through the 99% as middle class?

Id exclude them because I don’t consider an investment banker who makes several hundred thousand dollars a year as middle class
    If they aren't middle class and they aren't the 1% what do you call them? i know technically Pew Research defines middle class as 40K to 135K.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they aren't middle class and they aren't the 1% what do you call them? i know technically Pew Research defines middle class as 40K to 135K.
    are we talking individual income or household?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a lot of earning movement in that 9% though. 120K puts you in the top 10% while 300K puts you in the top 5%.

I'd consider 300K a year to be upper middle class but it depends on savings imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a lot of earning movement in that 9% though. 120K puts you in the top 10% while 300K puts you in the top 5%.

I'd consider 300K a year to be upper middle class but it depends on savings imo.
    i guess without strict definitions its always subjective, but calling the top 5% upper middle seems weird imo

would you call someone in the 5th percentile lower middle class if they're earning something like 11k a year?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Upper class.

As you pointed out, Pew Research doesn’t define them as middle class.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i guess without strict definitions its always subjective, but calling the top 5% upper middle seems weird imo

would you call someone in the 5th percentile lower middle class if they're earning something like 11k a year?
    I consider "class" to be standard of living more than raw income. If someone had no income and had the lifestyle of a billionaire, I wouldn't call them lower class.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bottom line, we cant pay for all the free by just taxing billionaires. Its gonna bite everyone that pays taxes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bottom line, we cant pay for all the free by just taxing billionaires. Its gonna bite everyone that pays taxes.
    while i dont like going all TGY and just posting youtubes... i think this one is directly on point, and stewart does a better job than i ever could (though in the last few minutes, mostly for comedic effect, he shifts goalposts from the "bottom 50%" to the poor)

Last edited by spurraider21; 01-31-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it really is a gift, considering there's no reduction of deficit to match it.
    The fact that we have a spending problem doesn't make tax cuts a gift.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that we have a spending problem doesn't make tax cuts a gift.
    It does, obviously, because we're borrowing to cover for it. It's as much welfare as any other government handout.

Thread Information