Page 116 of 1632 FirstFirst ... 16661061121131141151161171181191201261662166161116 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 40782
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    & (we) won't even cite 'em on D-Day festivities.
    They didn't invade France, re .

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mexico will close their borders

:
    Maybe they really will build a wall and pay for it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every crisis is an invitation for the oligarchy and militarized police state to ramp up their power and control.

No doubt that the oligarchy's Best and Brightest predators are dreaming up ways to extract $Bs from the covid-19 crisis

Clearly the Repugs are going to hose $Bs to BigCorp, pushing the govt deeper into debt which they will Pay For by cutting govt services For The People.

Disaster Capitalism, it NEVER fails.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CDC's 'worst-case scenario' estimates for coronavirus spread in U.S. obtained by the New York Times

The Times article reveals the worst-case scenario, but emphasizes that this is what would occur only if there were no mitigation measures taken.

Between 160 million and 214 million people in the U.S. could be infected over the course of the epidemic, according to one projection.

That could last months or even over a year, with infections concentrated in shorter periods, staggered across time in different communities, experts said.

As many as 200,000 to 1.7 million people could die.

And, the calculations based on the C.D.C.’s scenarios suggested,

2.4 million to 21 million people in the U.S. could require hospitalization,

potentially crushing the nation’s medical system, which has only about 925,000 staffed hospital beds.

Fewer than a tenth of those are for people who are critically ill.

To be clear, despite the paucity of guidance being provided at the national level, state and local communities are beginning to take action.

And the CDC is revising its modelling accordingly, based on the degree and extent of those mitigation efforts.

The “worst-case” scenario, described above, is therefore not what will occur.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...tail=emaildkre

Let's say the CDC worst case is 2 or 3 times the actual. I'm so relieved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So true, we shouldn't dwell on what just happened, that's living in the past.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    They didn't invade France, re .
    You get my drift though.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    CDC's 'worst-case scenario' estimates for coronavirus spread in U.S. obtained by the New York Times

The Times article reveals the worst-case scenario, A. but emphasizes that this is what would occur only if there were no mitigation measures taken.

Between 160 million and 214 million people in the U.S. could be infected over the course of the epidemic, according to one projection.

That could last months or even over a year, with infections concentrated in shorter periods, staggered across time in different communities, experts said.

potentially crushing the nation’s medical system, which has only about 925,000 staffed hospital beds.

To be clear, despite the paucity of guidance being provided at the national level, state and local communities are beginning to take action.

And the CDC is revising its modelling accordingly, based on the degree and extent of those mitigation efforts.

B. The “worst-case” scenario, described above, is therefore not what will occur.

A. I'm just relieved we're mitigating our asses off.

B. That takes all the panic out of it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So true, we shouldn't dwell on what just happened, that's living in the past.

bull , what happened in the past, like 8+ weeks ago, Trump and his ing so-called govt NOT reacting to the Chinese disaster, is exactly why USA is in the today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe they really will build a wall and pay for it.
    (snorts coffee)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Times article reveals the worst-case scenario, but emphasizes that this is what would occur only if there were no mitigation measures taken.

The “worst-case” scenario, described above, is therefore not what will occur.

That 900,000 beds is misleading. 65% or so occupancy rate now.

Actual number of available beds is more on the order of 320,000

Be generous and assume that one out of 20 will require hospitalization of some sort. (2% fatality rate would imply more than that requiring urgent care)

320,000/.05= 6.4M.

There is your baseline number of people that can be sick at any one time before the system is swamped. The assumption that all beds are available to all patients is not really a good one.

Big problems will be regional shortages.

Fatalities will be magnified once the capacity in any given region is reached, and doctors cannot treat the ones requiring assistance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have been warning about a pandemic like this for years.

Trump disbanding the pandemic team... that is going be used to beat him over the head in the election.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Former pandemic team leader details the damage Trump did by kneecapping our response capability

Beth Cameron, the former senior director for global health security and biodefense on the White House National Security Council. When she left her position in 2017, her team was still intact, but the office was dissolved a year later in a move that “mystified” her.

In a health security crisis, speed is essential.

When this new coronavirus emerged, there was no clear White House-led structure to oversee our response, and

we lost valuable time.

Yes, we have capable and committed global and national disease-prevention and management organizations,

as well as state and local health departments, all working overtime now.

But
    even in prepared cities like Seattle, health systems are struggling to test patients and keep pace with growing caseloads.

The specter of rapid community transmission and exponential growth is real and daunting.

The job of a White House pandemics office would have been to get ahead:

to accelerate the response,

empower experts,

anticipate failures, and

act quickly and transparently to solve problems.

A directorate within the White House would have been responsible

for coordinating the efforts of multiple federal agencies

to make sure the government was backstopping testing capacity,

devising approaches to manufacture and avoid shortages of personal protective equipment,

strengthening U.S. lab capacity to process covid-19 tests, and

expanding the health-care workforce.

The office would galvanize resources to coordinate a robust and seamless domestic and global response.

It would identify needs among state and local officials, and advise and facilitate regular, focused communication from federal health and scientific experts to provide states and the public with fact-based tools to minimize the virus’s spread.

The White House is uniquely positioned to take into account broader U.S. and global security considerations associated with health emergencies, including their impact on deployed citizens, troops and regional economies, as well as peace and stability.

A White House office would have been able to elevate urgent issues fast, so they didn’t linger or devolve to inaction, as with coronavirus testing in the United States.

To paraphrase Trash on health care: "Nobody knew a nationwide health crisis would be so hard"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump Blindsides Google With Announcement That It's Building a Nationwide Screening Site (It's Not)

https://gizmodo.com/trump-blindsides...ign=2020-03-14

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bull , what happened in the past, like 8+ weeks ago, Trump and his ing so-called govt NOT reacting to the Chinese disaster, is exactly why USA is in the today.
    Should have blued it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Article on social distancing, now isn't too soon

We are only about 11 days behind Italy and generally on track to repeat what is unfortunately happening there and throughout much of the rest of Europe very soon.
    https://medium.com/@ariadnelabs/soci...y-ac21d7fa78b4

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Article on social distancing, now isn't too soon
    We are only about 11 days behind Italy and generally on track to repeat what is unfortunately happening there and throughout much of the rest of Europe very soon.
    https://medium.com/@ariadnelabs/soci...y-ac21d7fa78b4
    We still really don't have widespread testing capacity. Odds are good we are a bit farther along, but just don't know it yet. We will know where the testing shortages are worst because that will be the places it spreads the fastest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

SMH
    Whoops. "if we need them we can get them back". man, these campaign commercials against him are going to write themselves.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We still really don't have widespread testing capacity.
    Jack Ma and Katie Porter are working it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump Blindsides Google With Announcement That It's Building a Nationwide Screening Site (It's Not)

Updated every minute, 17-year-old whiz kid’s coronavirus site used by millions

A self-taught computer maven from Seattle,

Avi Schiffmann uses web scraping technology to accurately report on developing pandemic,

while fighting misinformation and panic

https://www.timesofisrael.com/updated-every-minute-17-year-old-whiz-kids-coronavirus-site-used-by-millions/?fbclid=IwAR1Xzrw8Vv45RlMzKKWtEmNE2FxJwHFTDL-e_0wZhRErgm0M_n5HE0s6sC4

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Updated every minute, 17-year-old whiz kid’s coronavirus site used by millions

A self-taught computer maven from Seattle,

Avi Schiffmann uses web scraping technology to accurately report on developing pandemic,

while fighting misinformation and panic

https://www.timesofisrael.com/updated-every-minute-17-year-old-whiz-kids-coronavirus-site-used-by-millions/?fbclid=IwAR1Xzrw8Vv45RlMzKKWtEmNE2FxJwHFTDL-e_0wZhRErgm0M_n5HE0s6sC4

the left always looking towards kids to right the wrongs of the world. what a game plan tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Hopkins reported ~2100 US cases this morning. Already up 20% so far today to 2569. More test results must be coming in...

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Hopkins reported ~2100 US cases this morning. Already up 20% so far today to 2569. More test results must be coming in...

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6
    And any numbers you get for new cases, just remember... those are from people infected 7-14 days ago. So every one of those is a seed for new growth for 7-14 days. We are going to be Italy in the blink of an eye. Just like they were.

Thread Information