Post Count
    olly olly oxen free

fatigued teenagers = long covid

Let me guess they were also lazy, slept a lot and had face breakouts

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still, DQ is good for one thing and one thing only...A lime Freeze, but you have sheppard them thru the process. Not too much lime, not too little. That in' thing when it's made to my specifications blows my in' shorts off.
    Nonsense, Heath Blizzards are where it's at.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. For the 50 year and younger population there was no statistically significant decrease with mask wearing/non-mask wearing.
    "old people don't count"

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    "old people don't count"
    Exact opposite of what I was pointing out. According to this study old people more than any other group should be wearing surgical masks.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Exact opposite of what I was pointing out. According to this study old people more than any other group should be wearing surgical masks.
    And if we are to take your preprint at face value than anyone under 50 need not wear a mask.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting read that has value though some here will bloviate for the sake of bloviating on which "masks" the authors were writing about.

Massive randomized study is proof that surgical masks limit coronavirus spread, authors say.

The authors of a study based on an enormous randomized research project in Bangladesh say their results offer the best evidence yet that widespread wearing of surgical masks can limit the spread of the coronavirus in communities.

The preprint paper, which tracked more than 340,000 adults across 600 villages in rural Bangladesh, is by far the largest randomized study on the effectiveness of masks at limiting the spread of coronavirus infections.

Its authors say this provides conclusive, real-world evidence for what laboratory work and other research already strongly suggest: mask-wearing can have a significant impact on limiting the spread of symptomatic covid-19, the disease caused by the virus.

“I think this should basically end any scientific debate about whether masks can be effective in combating covid at the population level,” Jason Abaluck, an economist at Yale who helped lead the study, said in an interview, calling it a “a nail in the coffin” of the arguments against masks.

The researchers estimate that among a group of Bangladeshi adults in the study that were encouraged to wear masks, mask-wearing increased by 28.8 percent after the intervention. When tracked, this group saw a 9.3 percent reduction in symptomatic covid-19 seroprevalence, meaning the virus was confirmed by bloodwork, as well as a further 11.9 percent reduction in covid-19 symptoms.

The study’s authors — led by principal investigators Abaluck, Laura Kwong, Steve Luby, Mushfiq Mobarak and Ashley Styczynski — a globe-spanning team that includes researchers from Yale, Stanford and the Bangladeshi nonprofit GreenVoice, emphasized that this did not mean masks were only 9.3 percent effective.

“I think a big error would be to read this study and to say, ‘Oh, masks can only prevent 10 percent of symptomatic infections,’ ” Abaluck said. The number would probably be several times higher if masking were universal, he said.

The study is under peer review with the journal Science. The authors granted journalists an early look at the results because of their potential importance in global public health debates.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...id-bangladesh/

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Interesting read that has value though some here will bloviate for the sake of bloviating on which "masks" the authors were writing about.

Massive randomized study is proof that surgical masks limit coronavirus spread, authors say.

The authors of a study based on an enormous randomized research project in Bangladesh say their results offer the best evidence yet that widespread wearing of surgical masks can limit the spread of the coronavirus in communities.

The preprint paper, which tracked more than 340,000 adults across 600 villages in rural Bangladesh, is by far the largest randomized study on the effectiveness of masks at limiting the spread of coronavirus infections.

Its authors say this provides conclusive, real-world evidence for what laboratory work and other research already strongly suggest: mask-wearing can have a significant impact on limiting the spread of symptomatic covid-19, the disease caused by the virus.

“I think this should basically end any scientific debate about whether masks can be effective in combating covid at the population level,” Jason Abaluck, an economist at Yale who helped lead the study, said in an interview, calling it a “a nail in the coffin” of the arguments against masks.

The researchers estimate that among a group of Bangladeshi adults in the study that were encouraged to wear masks, mask-wearing increased by 28.8 percent after the intervention. When tracked, this group saw a 9.3 percent reduction in symptomatic covid-19 seroprevalence, meaning the virus was confirmed by bloodwork, as well as a further 11.9 percent reduction in covid-19 symptoms.

The study’s authors — led by principal investigators Abaluck, Laura Kwong, Steve Luby, Mushfiq Mobarak and Ashley Styczynski — a globe-spanning team that includes researchers from Yale, Stanford and the Bangladeshi nonprofit GreenVoice, emphasized that this did not mean masks were only 9.3 percent effective.

“I think a big error would be to read this study and to say, ‘Oh, masks can only prevent 10 percent of symptomatic infections,’ ” Abaluck said. The number would probably be several times higher if masking were universal, he said.

The study is under peer review with the journal Science. The authors granted journalists an early look at the results because of their potential importance in global public health debates.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...id-bangladesh/
    winehole just posted this.

le of the WaPo article should actually read "Massive randomized study is proof that surgical masks limit coronavirus spread in the 50 and older population. No statistically significant decrease for 50 and younger population, authors say."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And if we are to take your preprint at face value than anyone under 50 need not wear a mask.
    2021 and people still don't understand how masks work

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    2021 and people still don't understand how masks work
    winehole's and Efman's preprint says mask wearing for the 50 and younger population has no impact on limiting the spread of symptomatic covid-19.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Nonsense, Heath Blizzards are where it's at.
    That's just candy, bum, a gimmick. One will never pass my uvula.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Called it. They are flinging at this point so much so that FDA bosses are quitting.

Only a lunatic would take the boosters if healthy.

The administration is wrong on this. It should let the FDA do what they do.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The administration is wrong on this. It should let the FDA do what they do.
    NYtimes email --

The booster-industrial complex

Late last month, researchers in Israel released some alarming new Covid-19 data. The data showed that many Israelis who had been among the first to receive the vaccine were nonetheless catching the Covid virus. Israelis who had been vaccinated later were not getting infected as often.

The study led to headlines around the world about waning immunity — the idea that vaccines lose their effectiveness over time. In the U.S., the Israeli study accelerated a debate about vaccine booster shots and played a role in the Biden administration’s recent recommendation that all Americans receive a booster shot eight months after their second dose.

But the real story about waning immunity is more complex than the initial headlines suggested. Some scientists believe that the Israeli data was misleading and that U.S. policy on booster shots has gotten ahead of the facts. The evidence for waning immunity is murky, these scientists say, and booster shots may not have a big effect.

After returning from an August break last week, I have spent time reaching out to scientists to ask for their help in understanding the current, confusing stage of the pandemic. How worried should vaccinated people be about the Delta variant? How much risk do children face? Which parts of the Covid story are being overhyped, and which deserve more attention?

I will be trying to answer these questions in the coming weeks. (I’d also like to know what questions you want answered; submit them here.)

One of the main messages I’m hearing from the experts is that conventional wisdom about waning immunity is problematic. Yes, the immunity from the Covid vaccines will wane at some point. But it may not yet have waned in a meaningful way.

“There’s a big difference between needing another shot every six months versus every five years,” Dr. David Dowdy, an epidemiologist at Johns Hopkins University, told me. “So far, looking at the data we have, I’m not seeing much evidence that we’ve reached that point yet.”

Simpson strikes again

At first glance, the Israeli data seems straightforward: People who had been vaccinated in the winter were more likely to contract the virus this summer than people who had been vaccinated in the spring.

Yet it would truly be proof of waning immunity only if the two groups — the winter and spring vaccine recipients — were otherwise similar to each other. If not, the other differences between them might be the real reason for the gap in the Covid rates.

As it turns out, the two groups were different. The first Israelis to have received the vaccine tended to be more affluent and educated. By coincidence, these same groups later were among the first exposed to the Delta variant, perhaps because they were more likely to travel. Their higher infection rate may have stemmed from the new risks they were taking, not any change in their vaccine protection.

Statisticians have a name for this possibility — when topline statistics point to a false conclusion that disappears when you examine subgroups. It’s called Simpson’s Paradox.

This paradox may also explain some of the U.S. data that the C.D.C. has cited to justify booster shots. Many Americans began to resume more indoor activities this spring. That more were getting Covid may reflect their newfound Covid exposure (as well as the arrival of Delta), rather than any waning of immunity over time.

‘Where is it?’

Sure enough, other data supports the notion that vaccine immunity is not waning much.

The ratio of positive Covid tests among older adults and children, for example, does not seem to be changing, Dowdy notes. If waning immunity were a major problem, we should expect to see a faster rise in Covid cases among older people (who were among the first to receive shots). And even the Israeli analysis showed that the vaccines continued to prevent serious Covid illness at essentially the same rate as before.

“If there’s data proving the need for boosters, where is it?” Zeynep Tufekci, the sociologist and Times columnist, has written.

Part of the problem is that the waning-immunity story line is irresistible to many people. The vaccine makers — Pfizer, Moderna and others — have an incentive to promote it, because booster shots will bring them big profits. The C.D.C. and F.D.A., for their part, have a history of extreme caution, even when it harms public health. We in the media tend to suffer from bad-news bias. And many Americans are so understandably frightened by Covid that they pay more attention to alarming signs than reassuring ones.

The bottom line

Here’s my best attempt to give you an objective summary of the evidence, free from alarmism — and acknowledging uncertainty:

Immunity does probably wane modestly within the first year of receiving a shot. For this reason, booster shots make sense for vulnerable people, many experts believe. As Dr. Céline Gounder of Bellevue Hospital Center told my colleague Apoorva Mandavilli, the C.D.C.’s data “support giving additional doses of vaccine to highly immunocompromised persons and nursing home residents, not to the general public.”

The current booster shots may do little good for most people. The vaccines continue to provide excellent protection against illness (as opposed to merely a positive Covid test). People will eventually need boosters, but it may make more sense to wait for one specifically designed to combat a variant. “We don’t know whether a non-Delta booster would improve protection against Delta,” Dr. Aaron Richterman of the University of Pennsylvania told me.

A national policy of frequent booster shots has significant costs, financially and otherwise. Among other things, the exaggerated discussion of waning immunity contributes to vaccine skepticism.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Early COVID-19 Shutdowns Helped St. Louis Area Avoid Thousands Of Deaths

In March 2020, not long after the first cases of COVID-19 were reported locally,

health officials in the city of St. Louis and St. Louis County issued emergency public health orders intended to reduce interactions between people and slow the transmission of the novel respiratory virus.

Such action likely saved thousands of lives in the region,

An analysis indicates that

a delay of even two weeks in issuing local public health orders could have increased the number of deaths almost sevenfold in the city and county.

https://scienceblog.com/525129/early-covid-19-shutdowns-helped-st-louis-area-avoid-thousands-of-deaths

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's just candy, bum, a gimmick. One will never pass my uvula.
    I'll pass something through your uvula. Haven't showered in two days so it'll be extra salty.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Early COVID-19 Shutdowns Helped St. Louis Area Avoid Thousands Of Deaths

In March 2020, not long after the first cases of COVID-19 were reported locally,

health officials in the city of St. Louis and St. Louis County issued emergency public health orders intended to reduce interactions between people and slow the transmission of the novel respiratory virus.

Such action likely saved thousands of lives in the region,

An analysis indicates that

a delay of even two weeks in issuing local public health orders could have increased the number of deaths almost sevenfold in the city and county.

https://scienceblog.com/525129/early-covid-19-shutdowns-helped-st-louis-area-avoid-thousands-of-deaths
    Tell that to your Biden, bouts...he opened the enchilada wide for the July 4th holiday.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'll pass something through your uvula. Haven't showered in two days so it'll be extra salty.
    "See, we were having a nice conversation, Dale, and you turned it into something sexual like you always do." - Girl

"tee, hee." - Dale

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    winehole just posted this.

le of the WaPo article should actually read "Massive randomized study is proof that surgical masks limit coronavirus spread in the 50 and older population. No statistically significant decrease for 50 and younger population, authors say."
    les traditionally aren't 28 words long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So they taste salty?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deputies had to break up fights at a Florida school district office that announced a mask mandate

Fists were "flying" and doctors were "shoved" on Monday after a mask mandate was announced at the Lee County School District board meeting

in Florida

The majority of parents who spoke at the meeting were against the mask mandate.

One man somehow connected the mandate to child sex trafficking, claiming,

"by putting masks on these kids' face, you can't identify any of 'em, so by the nine of you [school board officials] voting already on this,

tells me you guys support sex trafficking."

A woman, wearing a 'My Body, My Choice' sticker, argued that kids "eat their masks."

Leaving the building after the meeting, the doctor was "shoved,"

https://theweek.com/coronavirus/1004374/florida-school-mask-mandate-fights

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Flu season will be bad this year, research predicts

Flu activity has been virtually nonexistent during the COVID-19 pandemic, but that could change soon.

https://www.livescience.com/flu-seas...2021-2022.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    — A Central Texas school district closed its schools until after the Labor Day holiday Tuesday after two teachers died last week of COVID-19.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...D-16427858.php

homicides by bag Abbutt and his gang of bags in hole Texas

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Flu season will be bad this year, research predicts

Flu activity has been virtually nonexistent during the COVID-19 pandemic, but that could change soon.

https://www.livescience.com/flu-seas...2021-2022.html

I just hope & pray the sneaky bas s don't start switching all the COVID deaths over into the Flu stack.

We ain't had a (Flu death) since January of '20 for Christ sake.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    — A Central Texas school district closed its schools until after the Labor Day holiday Tuesday after two teachers died last week of COVID-19.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...D-16427858.php

homicides by bag Abbutt and his gang of bags in hole Texas
    All schools should be closed and padlockedPERIOD

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ivermrectum seems to work nigs.

Where can I order some?

Can it be ingested w milk and cereal?

Thread Information