Page 13 of 1632 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723631135131013 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't believe you can overreact to this kind of thing. You got to get ahold of it early. I would even consider a fuel air bomb over Wuhan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ does not know the virus already spread past wuhan

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Appears that it will follow the swine flu pandemic. Once it's established on every continent the pandemic will be declared over and it will be classified as just another bug we get sometimes. Then the WHO/CDC etc. can get back to pretending they know how to stop pandemics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Appears that it will follow the swine flu pandemic. Once it's established on every continent the pandemic will be declared over and it will be classified as just another bug we get sometimes. Then the WHO/CDC etc. can get back to pretending they know how to stop pandemics.
    maybe they will try this

but apparently this virus has some AIDS and SARS elements but much more contagious

even one of the whistleblower doctors just died of it. and he was not in his 60s plus. he looks like he was in his 40s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oops actually he was 34

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe they will try this

but apparently this virus has some AIDS and SARS elements but much more contagious

even one of the whistleblower doctors just died of it. and he was not in his 60s plus. he looks like he was in his 40s

Doesn't matter. If they can't stop it, they can't stop it. Then it just makes it way through the population until it burns out like Zika did.

If you read through the CDC update that's the sense I get. They don't say it outright but you get the sense they expect this won't be stopped.
    https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...us-update.html

Edit: Actually they do kind of say it outright

The answer to the first question, i think that this comes down to need to be humble. Of course we’re looking at the data and trying to answer exactly the question that you are asking. I don’t think that we’ve seen that right now there is any sign that this has stopped. I think that it is premature to comment on whether it has slowed down. But we do believe that we have a window of opportunity now to prepare the united states in case that there is a broader spread of this outside china as well as a broader spread in the united states. And so as i said before, we’re preparing as if this is a pandemic. That is just good common sense public health. But of course i’m hoping that it is not. In terms of the planes, what i can tell you is that two either have landed or are landing today and the other two will be landing tomorrow. And i don’t have an exact count yet of the number of people on those planes. We’ll have that after all four have landed and we can provide that information in follow up.
    Last edited by SnakeBoy; 02-06-2020 at 09:03 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure this strain just like SARS, MERS, or influenza for that matter are not killing their host. It's the cytokine storm that does the killing.

Most effective drug to stop/prevent cytokine storm is nicotine which of course will never be used by the medical community. If there's ever a serious viral pandemic and I get a fever...well me and nicorette

I said this jokingly earlier but I wasn't really joking. Just as suspected...

"Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China." The article notes the correlation of high levels of circulating inflammatory cytokines, or "cytokine storm," with severity of illness in patients infected with the Wuhan coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
    https://www.finanzen.ch/nachrichten/...orm-1028849942
    Nicoderm and nicorette will be part of my coronavirus pandemic prep closet

Targeting the “Cytokine Storm” for Therapeutic Benefit
    Nicotine is a nonselective agonist of the α7Ach receptor and is able to suppress the production of proinflammatory cytokines by mimicking the binding of acetylcholine. It has been demonstrated that nicotine can selectively reduce the inflammatory response in a number of infection scenarios, including Legionella pneumophila (54) and Chlamydia pneumoniae (55) infection; however, it is highly unlikely that nicotine will ever be used clinically due to its toxicity, addictive nature, and lack of specificity.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3592351/
    And if only Lydia had been a smoker...

Activation of the Cholinergic Antiinflammatory Pathway Reduces Ricin-Induced Mortality and Organ Failure in Mice

Our results have demonstrated that nicotine reduces organ failure and improves mouse survival following ricin exposure. The protective effect of nicotine appears to be associated with its antiinflammatory effect, suggesting a possible therapeutic strategy of activating the cholinergic antiinflammatory pathway following ricin exposure to protect against multiple organ failure. Nicotine treatment reduced levels of the inflammatory cytokine TNF-α and improved both liver and kidney function while reducing the oxidative stress observed in these organs following ricin exposure. The overall effect of nicotine on maintaining liver and kidney function while reducing systemic inflammation may account for the reduced mortality observed with ricin exposure.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2637759/
    Last edited by SnakeBoy; 02-06-2020 at 06:07 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First detailed study I've seen. Small sample size but sounds like a much nastier bug than they've been letting on. 15% of this group died and they weren't the sick elderly people they've been saying.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...183-5/fulltext

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The length of the illness is pretty scary. 10.5 days after symptoms is when you would expect people to be well into recovering from a viral infection, not going to the ICU.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41422-020-0282-0

Two existing drugs showing effectiveness against this coronavirus in vitro. One a yet to be approved anti viral and the second a common cheap drug used for malaria.

China testing both on people now.

Thank you for your involuntary sacrifice Uyghurs

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They know their capabilities.
    You don’t think they have played “what if’s?”?

As far as screaming headlines for the media causing panic, that’s counter productive.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Recent Coronavirus Declared Bioweapon By The Author Of The "US Biological Weapons Act"

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Recent Coronavirus Declared Bioweapon By The Author Of The "US Biological Weapons Act"
    Where do they get these absolutely stupid pictures to lead off the tube video.

A guy pouring green liquid into green liquid, that can’t be good!
    Mixing HIV with Coronavirus, oh God run...

Look serious ya dumbass and start sweating in that suit.

Pile o crap production for a science fiction vid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too fat to know

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where do they get these absolutely stupid pictures to lead off the tube video.

A guy pouring green liquid into green liquid, that can’t be good!
    Mixing HIV with Coronavirus, oh God run...

Look serious ya dumbass and start sweating in that suit.

Pile o crap production for a science fiction vid.
    And he's got that class 1 suit on, obviously couldn't use a glove box or hood.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You gotta start somewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You gotta start somewhere.
    no thats not how virus containment works

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no thats not how virus containment works
    Now you're a scientist and conspiracy theorist prognosticator?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now you're a scientist and conspiracy theorist prognosticator?

no I just think your idea of bombing Wuhan at this point is dumb and pointless

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always gotta wonder when one of these turns into a Spanish flu level pandemic. Kind of feels like we're all due.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always gotta wonder when one of these turns into a Spanish flu level pandemic. Kind of feels like we're all due.
    This one had the potential. Luckily it didn't arise until winter so the timing is on the worlds side. By next coronavirus season the world will have quick tests, treatments and possibly vaccine will be in place. All well tested courtesy of the Chinese people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no I just think your idea of bombing Wuhan at this point is dumb and pointless
    It's sarcasm you ing clown

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    communications now would probably limit a Spanish flu these days, no killing of Ms.

1918? no tv, no radio, no internet, no antibiotics, no vaccines, no antivirals, only primitive, limited telephony and telegraph

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5 people confirmed infected at busy ski resort in French Alps by a Brit who had been to Singapore.

RIP Europe

Thread Information