My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should blame the commander in chief tbh
    Blame? I’ll say celebrate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Surgeon General at the time didn’t have the data we had since and was part of an administration that claimed we had 15 cases going down to zero very rapidly and generally (erroneously) downplayed the pandemic. He was wrong, it happens.
    It cost him and his boss their jobs.
    Still said it, and even the article said Jerome was linking the CDC tweet that supported his comment.

So... I didn't say they still feel that way, but they certainly said it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still said it, and even the article said Jerome was linking the CDC tweet that supported his comment.

So... I didn't say they still feel that way, but they certainly said it.
    It was wrong then and it’s wrong now…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But it was said! That’s what’s important

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CDC: Masks are useless against COVID
    ST Left: yep, keep masks for medical workers
    CDC: We recommend masks if you are infected or working with infected people
    ST Left: yep, makes sense.
    CDC: Everyone should wear masks
    ST Left: I have mine on just in case, got it on Amazon. Getting my "I support the CDC" shirt soon
    CDC: Masks are useless other than medical grade
    ST Left: That's what we said
    that was my point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that was my point
    Except the CDC never said masks are useless unless medical grade. That’s exactly what I called out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except the CDC never said masks are useless unless medical grade. That’s exactly what I called out.
    They said masks do not protect you against COVID yet they wanted to preserve masks for HC providers. or get off the pot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "using masks offers no health benefits against COVID and we recommend against it" -CDC

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That COVID is airborne wasn't known to a scientific certainty then. It is now.

Surely you're aware that time is linear and that science is a process, right?

That said, countries that dealt more intensively with MERS -- South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore -- followed the precautionary principle instead of science on a hunch that turned out to be good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That COVID is airborne wasn't known to a scientific certainty then. It is now.

Surely you're aware that time is linear and that science is a process, right?

That said, countries that dealt more intensively with MERS -- South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore -- followed the precautionary principle instead of science on a hunch that turned out to be good.
    We didn't know how fast we were going so we didn't feel the need for seatbelts.

Not knowing, then issuing guidance that states masks are ineffective isn't "following the science".

Do you ever read you post? What background in science do you have? You don't make any sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DMC:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Philo:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We didn't know how fast we were going so we didn't feel the need for seatbelts.

Not knowing, then issuing guidance that states masks are ineffective isn't "following the science".

Do you ever read you post? What background in science do you have? You don't make any sense.
    I took six years each of science and math at a STEM intensive high-school, admittedly it wasn't my metier, but I placed out of most of the biology and chemistry I might have been capable of completing in college, 15 credit hours or so.

I don't recall saying the CDC followed the science, what I was trying to say -- I think it was fairly clear -- is that the CDC got it wrong. That East Asia's hunches were better than the putative science of our go to public health ins ution.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A good hunch at times not only beats science, sometimes it turns out to be the science. Subjective qualities like intuition and comparative evaluation of emergent phenomena are part of the process, for better and for worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Science isn't discredited by the mistakes if it owns the mistakes and continues to struggle toward truth. The way to truth is through error, how could it be otherwise with biased and flawed participants?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But I gather that the CDC not following the science or getting it wrong is actually a side issue for DMC. His main gripe -- a valid one, imho -- is that the CDC covered up the shortage of PPE with a lie to protect the guild from the public. This was a heinous and momentous mistake, one of many. Telling vaccinated folks to throw their masks away last spring was another. Not ramping up testing and contact tracing and genomic sequencing were others. So was not waiving IP rights on vaccines, and so was failing to emphasize practical solutions to airborne transmission. The back to normal narrative under Biden is in some ways even stronger than the same under Trump -- this time there's no safety net for individuals and businesses.

For better and for worse, public health ins utions are political. Carrying political narratives is an occupational hazard that's hazardous to the public, and the hazard didn't cease with the alternation of office. That doesn't mean that the ins utions are worthless, if they were, their misuse wouldn't be a scandal. The point is to hold them accountable and change them, not to throw them away because they screwed up. Relying on individual choice to solve systematic problems is more or less cynical resignation to the same.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should have used those ass loud siren amber alert mechanisms on our smart phones to alert everyone of the new CDC quarantine guidelines. There's a group of people out there that stay outta their way to remain ignorant over the entire sick/testing/quarantine process until they're actually sick then they flood the system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ma niga ocasio living it up in Florida

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ma niga ocasio living it up in Florida

Lol someone trying to do a gotcha because Cruz got on for fleeing Texas during the outage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol someone trying to do a gotcha because Cruz got on for fleeing Texas during the outage.
    As DeSantis is missing in action, a leader in public is a nice thing to see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I took six years each of science and math at a STEM intensive high-school, admittedly it wasn't my metier, but I placed out of most of the biology and chemistry I might have been capable of completing in college, 15 credit hours or so.

I don't recall saying the CDC followed the science, what I was trying to say -- I think it was fairly clear -- is that the CDC got it wrong. That East Asia's hunches were better than the putative science of our go to public health ins ution.
    Typical dmc, he bloviated to say , period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gottem

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are the new yorkers currently suffering from that she needs to be there for?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are the new yorkers currently suffering from that she needs to be there for?
    He just told you he trolled you and you still want to discuss it?

Thread Information