Page 1573 of 1632 FirstFirst ... 573107314731523156315691570157115721573157415751576157715831623 ... LastLast
Results 39,301 to 39,325 of 40782
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Long COVID is now the country’s third leading neurological disorder, the American Academy of Neurology declared in July. As of the end of May, there were 82.5 million COVID survivors in the United States, and 30 percent of them — about 24.8 million — were considered “long-haulers.” A recent study of Northwestern’s Neuro COVID-19 Clinic patients showed that most neurological symptoms persist for an average of nearly 15 months after the disease’s onset.
    https://www.chicagomag.com/chicago-m...the-long-haul/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    could be a bit more nuance here, severity of neurological problems does seem to correlate with hospitalization in some studies

In May 2020, Koralnik and his team opened the Neuro COVID-19 Clinic at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. One of the first of its kind in the nation, it not only treats patients but also collects data on demographics, quality of life, and cognitive test results. “We thought that we were going to see mostly patients who were hospitalized, who survived and now needed some ongoing care for neurology as an outpatient,” Koralnik says. “But what we saw is the opposite. The main population of the clinic is the people who were never hospitalized with COVID, who had only a mild sore throat, a cough that went away, or a bit of fever — and then [experienced] the lingering, persistent, and then debilitating brain fog, headaches, dizziness, muscle pain, trouble with smell and taste, blurry vision, tinnitus, and intense fatigue.”

Other research has backed that up. “Turns out people with the mild cold-like symptoms are the people with the neurological manifestations,” says Avindra Nath, clinical director of the NIH’s National Ins ute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Those symptoms corresponded with patients’ self-reporting of a lower quality of life and issues regarding cognition, anxiety, depression, and sleep. The patients also performed worse than expected on tests of processing speed, attention, executive function, and memory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That “critical need” is the backdrop for Koralnik’s current frustration. He was able to land ample financial support to study and treat the neurological effects of HIV. Same with PML, a rare brain disease affecting “only a handful of people in the world,” he says. Citing his 25-year track record of obtaining funding, he makes a point of saying: “I love NIH. I think it’s the greatest ins ution that supports research in the world.” That said, he is dismayed that the government agency overseeing public health has been much less responsive to the neurological issues associated with long COVID, a disease afflicting close to 25 million Americans. “Now I’m studying the most frequent disease in the world, which is COVID, and the third most frequent disease in the U.S. today, which is long COVID, and I have to spend even more time to convince people that, one, it’s real; two, it should be studied; and, three, it should be funded by NIH,” he says.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Strong correlation with Alzheimer's onset

In a study published today in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, researchers report that people 65 and older who contracted COVID-19 were more prone to developing Alzheimer’s disease in the year following their COVID diagnosis. And the highest risk was observed in women at least 85 years old.

The findings showed that the risk for developing Alzheimer’s disease in older people nearly doubled (0.35% to 0.68%) over a one-year period following infection with COVID. The researchers say it is unclear whether COVID-19 triggers new development of Alzheimer’s disease or accelerates its emergence.

“The factors that play into the development of Alzheimer’s disease have been poorly understood, but two pieces considered important are prior infections, especially viral infections, and inflammation,” said Pamela Davis, Distinguished University Professor and The Arline H. and Curtis F. Garvin Research Professor at the Case Western Reserve School of Medicine, the study’s coauthor.

“Since infection with SARS-CoV2 has been associated with central nervous system abnormalities including inflammation, we wanted to test whether, even in the short term, COVID could lead to increased diagnoses,” she said.

The research team analyzed the anonymous electronic health records of 6.2 million adults 65 and older in the United States who received medical treatment between February 2020 and May 2021 and had no prior diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease.

They then divided this population two groups: one composed of people who contracted COVID-19 during that period, and another with people who had no do ented cases of COVID-19. More than 400,000 people were enrolled in the COVID study group, while 5.8 million were in the non-infected group.
    https://neurosciencenews.com/aging-a...s-covid-21407/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    over 65s who get covid are many 10% more likely for alzheimer's. repeated infections of course raise the chances higher

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ms of Americans DISABLED, aka cognitive/executive impairment, from covid brain fog, just like chemo fog

How many are on Trash's hands?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Study estimates 18 million Americans have long-COVID

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...ong-COVID.aspx

how many millions got sick believing Trash's, Fox's, and Repugs' downplaying covid, suggesting BS like HCQ, horse wormer, bleach, no nask, no separation, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joe Biden on this, BTW. The pandemic ain't over, his vax only COVID policy is dog absent a push for better vaccines and treatments and NPIs to limit the harm until they get here. Pretending COVID is over only amplifies the harm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like Trump, Biden sold public health down the river for an expedient political narrative, namely, returning to a no longer accessible normality.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joe Biden on this, BTW. The pandemic ain't over,
    yep, dumb statement

We'll see how it goes from now til March.

Headed Back to School:

A Look at the Ongoing Effects of COVID-19 on Children’s Health and Well-Being

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covi...nd-well-being/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pandemic is over and that's straight out of the Potato in Chief's mouth. You know, the dip in the WH pretending to be the President of the USA. Buh bye Kung-Flu!

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pandemic is over and that's straight out of the Potato in Chief's mouth. You know, the dip in the WH pretending to be the President of the USA. Buh bye Kung-Flu!
    Unprovoked rage.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our President has stated that the Pandemic is over so time to stop making little kids wear masks and get back to living life. Thank You Mr. President

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our President has stated that the Pandemic is over so time to stop making little kids wear masks and get back to living life. Thank You Mr. President
    What does it matter to you?

So weird you want to control parents and their children.

You can't help it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He said it was over but that it still is a problem. Stop avoiding the full statement

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Inflation is a problem, Fentanyl deaths are a problem, Crime is a problem, Covid is a problem- But it is no longer a Pandemic- So no mandatory masks nor mandatory boosters etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I and my fam been doing this since March 2021

People are idiots

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    y'all wishcasting, I'd be really happy if the pandemic were over. I just don't see any evidence that's true.

what are y'all basing this on?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Inflation is a problem, Fentanyl deaths are a problem, Crime is a problem, Covid is a problem- But it is no longer a Pandemic- So no mandatory masks nor mandatory boosters etc.
    Which has been mandatory for you personally?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to take just one data point, COVID is the number three cause of death in the US behind heart disease and cancer. ~200,000 have died from it this year. community transmission is uncontrolled in numerous countries, not just the US.

by what metric is the pandemic over?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's happy talk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to take just one data point, COVID is the number three cause of death in the US behind heart disease and cancer. ~200,000 have died from it this year. community transmission is uncontrolled in numerous countries, not just the US.

by what metric is the pandemic over?
    New baselines that society accepts sadly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New baselines that society accepts sadly.
    The famous US indifference to indigenous and mostly avoidable mass death, disability and suffering. Nothing new, true, COVID has slipped into the realm of the meekly tolerated.

COVID might have something yet to show us in that respect. It seems to evolve with a quickness toward immune escape.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 09-22-2022 at 01:39 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leaving completely aside of course, the monotonous ac ulation of chronic conditions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    COVID is a preexisting condition for risk from subsequent infection. Cases count.

Thread Information