Page 231 of 1632 FirstFirst ... 1311812212272282292302312322332342352412813317311231 ... LastLast
Results 5,751 to 5,775 of 40782
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good ol' boy selling the easy-peasy killing of captive animals for Macho Man Great White Hunters

Uvalde hunting ranch owner stands by controversial toilet paper-burning video

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Uvalde-hunting-ranch-owner-stands-by-15153947.php?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=emai l&utm_campaign=mysa_morningheadlines&utm_content=n ews&stn=nf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why Germany’s coronavirus death rate is so much lower than other countries’ rates
    BERLIN —

For weeks, virologists here have been asked a persistent question: Why, compared to other countries, are so few of the Germans who are diagnosed with the coronavirus dying?

In Italy, 9.5 percent of the people who have tested positive for the virus have suc bed to covid-19, according to data compiled at Johns Hopkins University. In France, the rate is 4.3 percent. But in Germany, it’s 0.4 percent.
    The biggest reason for the difference, infectious disease experts say, is Germany’s work in the early days of its outbreak to track, test and contain infection clusters. That means Germany has a truer picture of the size of its outbreak than places that test only the obviously symptomatic, most seriously ill or highest-risk patients.

“At the beginning, when we had relatively few cases, when it came to finding them and isolating them, we did quite well in Germany,” said Reinhard Busse, head of the department of health care management at the Berlin University of Technology. “That’s the major reason.”

Other factors, such as the age of those infected and the timing of Germany’s outbreak, also play a role in the differing death rates. But testing widely has been key. Germany, with 31,150 cases at midday Tuesday, appeared to have a larger outbreak than France, with 20,149. But the higher death rate in France implies there were more undiagnosed cases there. France’s outbreak could be larger than Germany’s.

Initially, at least, the country’s health authorities tracked infection clusters meticulously. When an individual tested positive, they used contact tracing to find other people with whom they had been in touch and then tested and quarantined them, which broke infection chains.

Christian Drosten, a virologist at the Charité hospital in Berlin, said he’s “firmly convinced” that Germany’s high diagnostic capacity had “secured us an extreme lead . . . in the detection of the epidemic.”

But he cautioned against complacency, and said the death rate would increase: “We are no exception.”
    Epidemiologists say it’s important to look at Germany’s outbreak in two distinct phases. As community spread became prevalent, infection chains in some cases became impossible to trace. Some doctors said they had no choice but to send people seeking tests back home to call jammed coronavirus hotlines because they lacked protective equipment to conduct them safely.

With cases growing exponentially, health authorities have moved on to ordering social distancing and banning mass events. Federal states have restricted gatherings outside the home to a maximum of two people.

South Korea, which has been praised as a model for responding to the outbreak, has a death rate of 1.2 percent. Busse credits Germany’s lower rate to timing.

“In South Korea, there’s been a longer duration of infections, so we can’t really compare,” he said. “We have lots of newly positive cases. They didn’t have the chance to die yet.”

Busse said Germany is more comparable to Norway. The Scandinavian country is at a similar point in its outbreak, it’s also worked to test and contain cases, and it also has a death rate of 0.4 percent.

Whether Germany’s distancing measures will “flatten the curve” is not yet clear. Lothar Wieler, president of the federal agency responsible for disease control, was hopeful Monday that a period of exponential growth might be slowing, but cautioned that it was too early to say, given fluctuations in data. He said the picture should be clearer by Wednesday.
    Germany’s initial testing criteria were no wider than Italy’s. People were tested if they had symptoms and had been to a risk area, or if they had contact with a confirmed case. But many initial cases had clear links to overseas travel.
    The guidelines have since been expanded and testing has been boosted in recent weeks. The number tested jumped from 35,000 in the first week of March to 100,000 in the second, according to Germany’s medical association. The estimates don’t include tests conducted inside hospitals.

Epidemiologist Karl Lauterbach, a member of the German parliament, noted that the German outbreak started with large numbers of young people — “people who came back from holidays.”

The young have fared better with the coronavirus than the elderly. Italy’s initial outbreak struck at the heart of an aging population. Lauterbach said he expected Germany’s death rate to rise as more vulnerable segments of society are infected.
    Because testing is not universal, and many people with the coronavirus might never be diagnosed, a true death rate is impossible to ascertain. But experts say the rate is likely to be significantly higher in countries such as Spain and Italy, where care is collapsing.

With more intensive care beds and ventilators than most other European nations and early measures to prevent the spread of the virus, Lauterbach said, he didn’t see Germany turning into Italy or Spain. Still, he has been advocating for wider restrictions.

“I think with all things considered, Germany will do reasonably well in this first round of a long fight,” he said.
    Chris Mooney in Washington and Luisa Beck in Berlin contributed to this report.
    Loveday Morris is The Washington Post's Berlin bureau chief. She was previously based in Jerusalem, Baghdad and Beirut for The Post.

Democracy Dies in Darkness
    © 1996-2020 The Washington Post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Decimating the entire "royal" family would be just

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the final measure, lawmakers agreed to a significant expansion of unemployment benefits that would extend unemployment insurance by 13 weeks and include a four-month enhancement of benefits, officials familiar with the unfinished agreement said. Democrats said that it would allow workers to maintain their full salaries if forced out of work as a result of the pandemic.

In the interim, lawmakers also agreed to provide $1,200 in direct payments that would apply equally to workers with incomes up to $75,000 per year before phasing out and ending altogether for those earning more than $99,000. Families would receive an additional $500 per child.

After complaints from Democrats, a $500 billion fund — $425 billion for the Federal Reserve to leverage for loans in order to help broad groups of distressed companies and $75 billion for industry-specific loans — will now have far stricter oversight, in the form of an inspector general and a 5-person panel appointed by Congress, lawmakers said. Companies that accept money must also agree to halt any stock buybacks for the length of the government assistance, plus an additional year.

Democrats also secured a provision that will block Trump family businesses — or those of other senior government officials — from receiving loan money under the programs, Mr. Schumer said in a letter to Democrats.

Both Ms. Pelosi and Mr. Schumer, on separate calls laying out the deal for their Democratic colleagues, said they had secured $130 billion for hospitals, $55 billion more than originally agreed to, people familiar with the calls said, as well as $150 billion for state and local governments.

The agreement also includes $350 billion that would establish lending programs for small businesses, but only for those who keep their payrolls steady through the crisis. Small businesses that pledge to keep their workers would also receive cash-flow assistance structured as federally guaranteed loans. If the employer continued to pay its workers for the duration of the crisis, those loans would be forgiven.

Lawmakers in both chambers have also acknowledged that it is likely other legislative measures will be needed in the coming months to counter the consequences of the pandemic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/u...nate-deal.html
    Glad the dems pushed back and didn’t rubber stamp that bill McConnell brought up a few days ago. Seems like they got some good concessions. Particularly the oversight on the fed’s slush fund.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew whatever bill was drawn up would me. They're using 2018 numbers, where I was well above the cutoff. I left my employer of 6 years in 2019 for 7 months, before getting a job recently but ran through my nest egg. So I sm under the cutoff for 2019 but oh well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “I regret to say we’re going to have to let a few million of you die in order to protect the S&P500”

regret?

they don't need (or have) no steekin' regret

Capitalism amassing Capital has priority over all life

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "For the average American the best way to tell if you have covid-19 is to cough in a rich person’s face and wait for their test results."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wait is Jim Acosta d niga that got the Rona?

he is not on CNN anymore

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In UK police will have green light to detain anyone suspected of being corona infected

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ergency-powers

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Today is 25 March

my skimpy online cart at HEB for earliest available time slot?

curbside pickup April 7

ok, can't wait that long,

so what about delivery to my house? April 3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Today is 25 March

curbside pickup April 7

One thing coronavirus will accomplish will be opening everyone's eyes to just exactly how unprepared anyone is for anything like this.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Today is 25 March

curbside pickup April 7

Can you not just go to HEB and shop for yourself?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Today is 25 March

curbside pickup April 7

Have you tried instacart personal shopping service.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This, I have been going to HEB several times a week to get what I need for a few days.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As prime age + comorbidity for covid-19 killing, I'll have to.

I will try walmart's curbside later.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you tried instacart personal shopping service.
    I expect all the grocery delivery services are booked up.

HEB owns Favor, but Favor can't deliver me until 3 April?

And as many of their shoppers are old people trying to make some beer money (avg gross under $10/hour) and as SA's infected numbers explode, I expect the older shoppers will be safe and stop driving, as I did with Favor.

My last Favor run was to an HEB with no curbside, so I had to queue to get in and find all the stuff myself. That was for me GAMEOVER with Favor.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 03-25-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think a bottleneck for HEB/Favor is the number of HEB employees makes available to collect the stuff for pickup or delivery.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

And as many of their shoppers are old people trying to make some beer money (avg gross under $10/hour) and as SA's infected numbers explode, I expect the older shoppers will be safe and stop driving, as I did with Favor.

My last Favor run was to an HEB with no curbside, so I had to queue to get in and find all the stuff myself. That was for me GAMEOVER with Favor.
    Your Favor driver took you to HEB and then made you go inside to shop?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I checked the instacart app. They’ll deliver within 5 hrs. Haven’t used it yet, have a pick up I scheduled that was almost 2 weeks out. I’ll be using instacart from now on. Shopping at multiple stores, H-E-B, Costco, Walmart, drug stores, etc. Don’t know what price or mark ups are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is the Coronavirus as Deadly as They Say?

Current estimates about the Covid-19 fatality rate may be too high by orders of magnitude.

By Eran Bendavid and Jay Bhattacharya
    March 24, 2020 6:21 pm ET

A line at an emergency room in Brooklyn, N.Y., March 19.
    Photo: andrew kelly/Reuters
    If it’s true that the novel coronavirus would kill millions without shelter-in-place orders and quarantines, then the extraordinary measures being carried out in cities and states around the country are surely justified. But there’s little evidence to confirm that premise—and projections of the death toll could plausibly be orders of magnitude too high.

Fear of Covid-19 is based on its high estimated case fatality rate—2% to 4% of people with confirmed Covid-19 have died, according to the World Health Organization and others. So if 100 million Americans ultimately get the disease, two million to four million could die. We believe that estimate is deeply flawed. The true fatality rate is the portion of those infected who die, not the deaths from identified positive cases.

The latter rate is misleading because of selection bias in testing. The degree of bias is uncertain because available data are limited. But it could make the difference between an epidemic that kills 20,000 and one that kills two million. If the number of actual infections is much larger than the number of cases—orders of magnitude larger—then the true fatality rate is much lower as well. That’s not only plausible but likely based on what we know so far.

Population samples from China, Italy, Iceland and the U.S. provide relevant evidence. On or around Jan. 31, countries sent planes to evacuate citizens from Wuhan, China. When those planes landed, the passengers were tested for Covid-19 and quarantined. After 14 days, the percentage who tested positive was 0.9%. If this was the prevalence in the greater Wuhan area on Jan. 31, then, with a population of about 20 million, greater Wuhan had 178,000 infections, about 30-fold more than the number of reported cases. The fatality rate, then, would be at least 10-fold lower than estimates based on reported cases.

WSJ Newsletter
    What's News
    A digest of the day's most important news to watch, delivered to your inbox.
    Next, the northeastern Italian town of Vò, near the provincial capital of Padua. On March 6, all 3,300 people of Vò were tested, and 90 were positive, a prevalence of 2.7%. Applying that prevalence to the whole province (population 955,000), which had 198 reported cases, suggests there were actually 26,000 infections at that time. That’s more than 130-fold the number of actual reported cases. Since Italy’s case fatality rate of 8% is estimated using the confirmed cases, the real fatality rate could in fact be closer to 0.06%.

In Iceland, deCode Genetics is working with the government to perform widespread testing. In a sample of nearly 2,000 entirely asymptomatic people, researchers estimated disease prevalence of just over 1%. Iceland’s first case was reported on Feb. 28, weeks behind the U.S. It’s plausible that the proportion of the U.S. population that has been infected is double, triple or even 10 times as high as the estimates from Iceland. That also implies a dramatically lower fatality rate.

The best (albeit very weak) evidence in the U.S. comes from the National Basketball Association. Between March 11 and 19, a substantial number of NBA players and teams received testing. By March 19, 10 out of 450 rostered players were positive. Since not everyone was tested, that represents a lower bound on the prevalence of 2.2%. The NBA isn’t a representative population, and contact among players might have facilitated transmission. But if we extend that lower-bound assumption to cities with NBA teams (population 45 million), we get at least 990,000 infections in the U.S. The number of cases reported on March 19 in the U.S. was 13,677, more than 72-fold lower. These numbers imply a fatality rate from Covid-19 orders of magnitude smaller than it appears.

How can we reconcile these estimates with the epidemiological models? First, the test used to identify cases doesn’t catch people who were infected and recovered. Second, testing rates were woefully low for a long time and typically reserved for the severely ill. Together, these facts imply that the confirmed cases are likely orders of magnitude less than the true number of infections. Epidemiological modelers haven’t adequately adapted their estimates to account for these factors.

The epidemic started in China sometime in November or December. The first confirmed U.S. cases included a person who traveled from Wuhan on Jan. 15, and it is likely that the virus entered before that: Tens of thousands of people traveled from Wuhan to the U.S. in December. Existing evidence suggests that the virus is highly transmissible and that the number of infections doubles roughly every three days. An epidemic seed on Jan. 1 implies that by March 9 about six million people in the U.S. would have been infected. As of March 23, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were 499 Covid-19 deaths in the U.S. If our surmise of six million cases is accurate, that’s a mortality rate of 0.01%, assuming a two week lag between infection and death. This is one-tenth of the flu mortality rate of 0.1%. Such a low death rate would be cause for optimism.

This does not make Covid-19 a nonissue. The daily reports from Italy and across the U.S. show real struggles and overwhelmed health systems. But a 20,000- or 40,000-death epidemic is a far less severe problem than one that kills two million. Given the enormous consequences of decisions around Covid-19 response, getting clear data to guide decisions now is critical. We don’t know the true infection rate in the U.S. Antibody testing of representative samples to measure disease prevalence (including the recovered) is crucial. Nearly every day a new lab gets approval for antibody testing, so population testing using this technology is now feasible.

If we’re right about the limited scale of the epidemic, then measures focused on older populations and hospitals are sensible. Elective procedures will need to be rescheduled. Hospital resources will need to be reallocated to care for critically ill patients. Triage will need to improve. And policy makers will need to focus on reducing risks for older adults and people with underlying medical conditions.

A universal quarantine may not be worth the costs it imposes on the economy, community and individual mental and physical health. We should undertake immediate steps to evaluate the empirical basis of the current lockdowns.

Dr. Bendavid and Dr. Bhattacharya are professors of medicine at Stanford. Neeraj Sood contributed to this article.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-....co/Gdo9sg67Pp
    Good article, thanks for posting. My thinking is transitioning to implementing a Logan's Run policy of quarantining those at risk (immunocompromised, over 65, etc...) and slowly letting those who are younger and in good health to return to normal life. We can't sustain the measures currently in place, whether socially, psychologically, and especially economically. Keeping the cohort at the greatest risk under quarantene allows for a build up of health care infrastructure to deal with the inevitable influx of patients for when they come back to normal as well. Is it harsh? Maybe. But it's for their own good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if we were to argue that it's less severe than the flu, we have inoculants for the flu, out bodies already fought different strains over time, it's a different situation.

And really, the death rate is always calculated based on the number of actual cases. The reason to argue the death rate is orders of magnitude smaller is by advancing that the number of cases is order of magnitude higher, which nobody can ascertain without proper testing. The article isn't junk, but starts off an unverifiable premise.

So, let's get the tests going. Even better if they're anti-body tests.
    The math is imprecise and fuzzy at best. But it's a logical conclusion. Part of the terror of COVID is asymptomatic spread. You can't have asymptomatic spread and argue that the death rate is accurate. Everything we know about the virus establishes that the death rate is overstated. The only issue, as you say, is determining what order of magnitude it has been overstated.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the binary "dead or not" ignores after effects of victims who get very sick but survive.

covid-19 takes 2 - 8 weeks to kill

victims on respirators have 50% mortality.

Repugs, Trash, rightwingnutjobs, the oligarchy propaganda, downplaying the risks and saying everybody get out and go back to work are self-servingly, criminally negligent.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

You were a Favor driver?

Thread Information