Page 246 of 1632 FirstFirst ... 1461962362422432442452462472482492502562963467461246 ... LastLast
Results 6,126 to 6,150 of 40782
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    china prob. has double that though
    maybe china leveled up tbqh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MP is right about one thing. I wish we could look at CA data seperated into the two main regions because SoCal is so much worse off than NoCal because of the way Santa Clara reacted. You can look at the county by county numbers and see that the LA region is now > 2/3rds of the cases in the state even though Santa Clara was the initial hotspot.

Its not exactly a good situation there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MP is right about one thing. I wish we could look at CA data seperated into the two main regions because SoCal is so much worse off than NoCal because of the way Santa Clara reacted. You can look at the county by county numbers and see that the LA region is now > 2/3rds of the cases in the state even though Santa Clara was the initial hotspot.

The US (NYC is ~ half of all US cases) became the epicenter of the pandemic today.

That the rosy cheeked optimists ITT are wishcasting/mimimizing it as a historically bad extra flu season does not inspire much confidence.

Speaking of 100,000 extra deaths as if to becalm and console is straight up macabre.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean I hope that too, and I understand wanting it to be true, but considering the talk of reopening the country I am extremely annoyed at overly optimistic outlooks right now when the lionshare of the data says that we're in some deep right now.

I've asked this before, but once again: If there is actual reason for optimism, why are none of the epidemiologists echoing those sentiments? Its some law professor here, or some statistician there, but the actual experts in pandemics are all ting themselves right now. And honestly, they have been for months.

There's no doubt that I see strong parallels with climate denialism here and that also annoys the out of me.

Just listen to the experts.
    Fauci just came out yesterday and felt is might be seasonal. Is he credible?

The University of Maryland's warm weather study (headed by a leading epidemiologist who cracked HIV) illustrates slower transmission in warmer weather (echoing Fauci, or rather, Fauci echoed those findings). Are they credible?

Back to the Oxford study that challenges the doomsday Imperial study. They feel Covid transmission will naturally slow as it runs out of new people to infect because we are massively, massively understating the amount of infections+recoveries that have happened? Are they credible?

While Nobel Laureate Michael Levitt might not exactly be an epidemiologist, I think he knows data. He feels we'll recover much sooner than anticipated. Credible?

Oh, and the scientist behind the Imperial College study that everyone takes as gospel just downgraded the estimated death count from 500K to 20K in about 24 hours (for the UK). The UK had the absolute worst response out of any Western country. He's appealing to the UK's recent lockdown efforts as the reason for the new projection, but how the can he project anything from something that has only been in effect for 24 hours? Does that make sense to you? So maybe, just maybe, many of these leading experts are more wrong than you think they are. Seems you're cherry picking your points-of-view because you conflate an optimistic outlook for the "Trumpian" outlook that has us beating this by Easter.

I've stated ad nauseum that a flu plus another flu (let's assume when all the data is in that Covid is about as severe as the flu) is a BIG issue and nothing to take lightly. I stated I expect there to be some nasty peaks. But what makes sense to me, per the Oxford study, is that I don't think there will be an indefinite extrapolation of new cases and deaths because who knows how many people have already had it, recovered, and won't get infected again. Why I don't buy the 3 million dead in year scenarios.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^re: The Imperial College study, MP ignores that the initial study had estimates as low as 20,000, presuming aggressive countermeasures.

He also ignores that the UK abruptly changed it's policy from do nothing to a strict lockdown like, last week

There seems to be some obliviousness here. 20,000 excess deaths in the UK is not a trivial number.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Internal Emails Show How Chaos at the CDC Slowed the Early Response to Coronavirus

The CDC

fumbled its communication with public health officials and

underestimated the threat of the coronavirus even

as it gained a foothold in the United States

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/cdc-coronavirus-slow-response-trump?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_ca mpaign=Feed%3A+tpm-news+%28TPMNews%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , or some statistician there,
    This is a problem why? Data is data and you have little issue posting Nate Silver tweets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, I'm going to have some long ass hair when this is all over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^re: The Imperial College study, MP ignores that the initial study had estimates as low as 20,000, presuming aggressive countermeasures.

He also ignores that the UK abruptly changed it's policy from do nothing to a strict lockdown like, last week

There seems to be some obliviousness here. 20,000 excess deaths in the UK is not a trivial number.
    They did not go into lockdown last week. 3 days ago.

But those countermeasures have to be applied at a specific time early in the outbreak, that's what all the epidemiologists are saying. Time is the most crucial resource here, and the UK pissed it away. Oh, but now they're suddenly "best case scenario" after having a terrible response and only getting strong 3 days ago? Do you think there's enough data yet from those 3 days to make any kind of accurate projections? The UK is raring toward an inflection point, so how the can Ferguson just flippantly decide they are now on the path to the best case scenario? As I asked Manny, does that make sense to you?

There's no obliviousness, but 20K is sure a lot better than 500K.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But those countermeasures have to be applied at a specific time early in the outbreak, that's what all the epidemiologists are saying. Time is the most crucial resource here, and the UK pissed it away. Oh, but now they're suddenly "best case scenario" after having a terrible response and only getting strong 3 days ago? Do you think there's enough data yet from those 3 days to make any kind of accurate projections? The UK is raring toward an inflection point, so how the can Ferguson just flippantly decide they are now on the path to the best case scenario? As I asked Manny, does that make sense to you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You goofed.

It's ok. Happens to all of us.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah off, I been pelon for years and now you're going to rub that in my face too?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Yeah I didn’t think that through...should have gotten mine cut before it really bad.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The US (NYC is ~ half of all US cases) became the epicenter of the pandemic today.

That the rosy cheeked optimists ITT are wishcasting/mimimizing it as a historically bad extra flu season does not inspire much confidence.

Speaking of 100,000 extra deaths as if to becalm and console is straight up macabre.
    The 100k is based on the 20k in the Uk. That 20k was said to be made up of 10k people that would've died this year. I'd say that's a phenomenal outcome compared to 1-2+ million. It's not like we have a cure so our only strategy is to not overwhelm the hospitals and hope for the best. Well this one of the better possible outcomes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah off, I been pelon for years and now you're going to rub that in my face too?
    Sorry dude.

Mine is completely gray, so it's not like I'll look like Jason Momoa.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I didn’t think that through...should have gotten mine cut before it really bad.
    I got a haircut the week before everything went down but I've set a personal record for not shaving.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Los Angeles County has a significant amount more people than Santa Clara County. 5x the population. I don't know how you can miss the per capita detail. Death per capita- LA County: .0021/1000, Santa Clara County: .010/1000. I know you're a smart guy, but I think you're looking for everything and anything to make the doomsday scenario more probable. LA County's situation is actually good here as their per capita death rate and case rate is very low. FWIW, Los Angeles's patient zeroes actually arrived only a day after Santa Clara's. And testing has grown exponentially:

https://imgur.com/a/QLCV6x3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Among several things I wish I had done. I probably should have seen a dentist, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry dude.

Mine is completely gray, so it's not like I'll look like Jason Momoa.

Sam elliott can make it work,tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Los Angeles County has a significant amount more people than Santa Clara County. 5x the population. I don't know how you can miss the per capita detail. Death per capita- LA County: .0021/1000, Santa Clara County: .010/1000. I know you're a smart guy, but I think you're looking for everything and anything to make the doomsday scenario more probable. LA County's situation is actually good here as their per capita death rate and case rate is very low. FWIW, Los Angeles's patient zeroes actually arrived only a day after Santa Clara's. And testing has grown exponentially:

https://imgur.com/a/QLCV6x3

LA and surrounding counties doing pretty good, considering the population.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I got a haircut the week before everything went down but I've set a personal record for not shaving.
    I shaved this morning because i couldn’t take the itching anymore, couldn’t remember the last time I let it get so long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You goofed.

It's ok. Happens to all of us.
    Goofed how? How does the UK go from worst case to best case in matter of 3 in days (now data lag doesn't seem to matter)? Instead of appealing to authority ("Because the smart guy said so!"), explain your reasoning? Seems the doomsday crowd has little problem countering expert opinion that doesn't toe the doomsday line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Luckily my sister n law came over and cut mine and the kids last week

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sam elliott can make it work,tbh
    Man, I wish I had that voice.

Thread Information