Page 465 of 1632 FirstFirst ... 3654154554614624634644654664674684694755155659651465 ... LastLast
Results 11,601 to 11,625 of 40782
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Navy is.considering reinstating Capt. Crozier for putting the well-being of his sailors ahead of his career.
    the right choice

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very cool if true.
    Apparently it's been working like a miracle in other countries as well, like Israel.

Just need about 8B doses.

Would love to own Gilead stock rn

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if Gilead treatment works (with help of US taxpayers),

then how long before it's available to 100Ms Americans?

And at what patent monopoly costs?

There is always some, what are the side effects?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Army signs agreement with drug giant Gilead on experimental COVID-19 treatment

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...-19-treatment/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NYC:

"The medical workers I spoke with agreed that by the first week of April, the pace had shifted.

In March, the city’s emergency rooms had been full of the “worried well,” people with mild or moderate
    covid-19 symptoms who wanted to see a doctor or get a test.

This month, an E.R. doctor in Queens told me,

“There have been fewer people coming in per hour,

but the E.R. is overflowing because people are much sicker.

They’re on stretchers in hallways waiting for beds. No one can come out.”

Doctors and nurses spoke darkly about

“the crash”—when a
    covid-19 patient starts to rapidly deteriorate,

without warning, leading to organ failure and sometimes death.

Lepp described his job as a scary game of whack-a-mole.

“Imagine that you are treating fifteen to twenty patients with
    covid in the E.R., all with varying degrees of illness.

You know that a bunch of them are going to deteriorate over the course of a twelve-hour shift.

You’re trying to predict who those patients will be.”

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-l...term=TNY_Daily

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump appointee calls on New Jersey governor to send troops to ultra-Orthodox Jewish enclave to enforce social distancing

Councilman Barry Calogero is calling for the National Guard to enforce social distancing rules on the community, according to the Shore News Network.

Calogero, who is also a politically appointed executive director of the Trump administration, called on the Army National Guard to deploy to his town and towns surrounding Lakewood to enforce Governor Phil Murphy’s quarantine orders.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/04/tru...8460&list_id=1

Masks now mandatory in San Antonio, as infections and deaths continue to rise

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are a lot of fast food workers making burritos for less than $10 per hour. Illegals undercutting the wage of American workers isn't a positive.
    Welcome to irony, bro.

Do you realize this unrestricted globalized "free trade" phenomenon is a product of 50 years of Neoliberal/Libertarian thought first popularized by Freidman that put absolute faith the free market's invisible hand to infallibly guide us toward optimal outcomes? Now maybe you'll understand that an unceasing motivation toward maximizing profit at any cost is fundamentally incompatible with certain things. In health care's case, the profit motive is incompatible with the concept of "do no harm." In this case, it's incompatible with social health.

That said, I'm in favor of immigration in giving people fleeing terrible situations in their home countries a chance at the white-picket fence American dream. This is the moral thing to do. Hmmm. You know what might prevent "illegals" from undercutting American workers for under-the-table-wages? Them becoming citizens.

We overcomplicate the legal immigration process with an inordinate amount of red tape horse that most illegals fresh off the proverbial boat can't afford to navigate. That's why they remain undo ented. And guess what? Your precious capitalist class loves this dynamic because them remaining "undo ented" allows business owners to pay them under (regulated) market value.

A rational and easy solution would be to grant any prospective immigrant a two year work visa that gets them into "the system." If they prove to be responsible, productive, law abiding citizens over that two year period, they obtain citizenship. One up, and I don't care if they're cited for littering, then they're on the bus back to soccer land.

I'm also in favor of building up manufacturing in those countries so they won't feel the need to flee in the first place since there will be opportunity there. But your captains of industry would rather suck on the China teat. And we can get off the China teat. How? Boycott made there. But I don't see that mass boycott happening anytime soon because, to say again, we. are. a. nation. of. spoiled. children. We love our 300.00 4K tvs from TCL. We don't want to pay a penny more for the latest smartphone. We don't want to repair and reuse "old technology." Too inconvenient. Just throw the old one away and buy the new one.

Be interesting to see when this pandemic situation dies down, with China being cast as the main villain (deservedly so), if Americans will be able to step up and not buy their latest gizmo. And we don't need all Americans. There's enough so-called "buy Murrican" conservatives out there to get the message across. Trump's base is supposedly about 30 percent of the electorate. If they all refuse to buy Chinese, that'll put a massive dent in profits. But I know they won't. Cletus loves him some Walmart deals

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

dude is out of his mind

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently it's been working like a miracle in other countries as well, like Israel.

Just need about 8B doses.

Would love to own Gilead stock rn
    Dr facci said “theres jo miracle cure for this” I kinda agree but hope u r right

but even in best case scenario. it would take about 6 months to finish tests and make enough supply.

we will be in dire situation for a min of 6 months in a best case scenario

many small businesses will die in the meantime and lots of unemployment

a mini great depresion

and thats best case

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Berenson seems to lack the ability to logically deduce consequences and simplifies things in service of his Libertarian/anti-gubmint point-of-view.

I agree that the majority of transmission likely occurs intrafamilial. The German study corroborated this theory to an extent, and before that, Paul Auwaerter from Johns Hopkins felt the odds of contracting the virus by just being out and about were extremely low.

But how does Berenson think the virus works its way into an intrafamilial situation? Magic? Nope. Some kind of community transmission is required. "8% involving strangers" is actually a big number. Routine work in stores and offices does become a major source of transmission by default.

Let's say you have an office of 500 workers. 5 percent of those workers get sick (25 people) which is a good guesstimate considering the 20 percent infection rate on the Diamond Princess. These 25 people have an average family size of 3. We'll estimate a 50 percent infection for intrafamilial situations. The infected spouses take the virus into their own workplaces. Asymptomatic children are taken to visit the grandparents. Hugs and kisses all around. Pre-symptomatic grandparent go to church the next day. Guy from the office hosts a big poker game with the buddies. This happens:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronav...jee-story.html

Mildly symptomatic 18 year old son goes to big weekend party. Shared drinks, bongs, vapes all around. Those infected kids pass it on to their parents, who pass it on to co-workers. And so on.

Pretty easy to see how this can be mainly intrafamilial but still explode. And Berenson's use of the word "exclusively" is just flat out misleading. If it were "exclusively" intrafamilial, then it wouldn't have infected anyone beyond a single family.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was correct at the time.

Did Trump ever correct himself about testing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No paper is crucial if it hasn't been peer reviewed. is just irresponsible.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nurses speak out in powerful AFT ad: 'We are doing our job. It's time for the president to do his'

slamming Donald Trump for his March 29 statement, which implied

nurses and other healthcare workers were stealing masks.

This was just one of the almost relentless lies Trump has told in hope of deflecting his administration’s complete failure to stem our country’s current public health and economic crises.

At the time, Trump made this somewhat incoherent, and conspiratorial, statement:

“For years 10 to 20,000 masks. Okay, it’s a New York hospital. It’s packed all the time.

How do you go from 10 to 20 to 300,000 masks, 10 to 20,000 masks to 300,000, even though this is different.

Something’s going on, and you ought to look into it as reporters.

Where are the masks going? Are they going out the back door?

How do you go from 10,000 to 300,000, and we have that in a lot of different places.

So somebody should probably look into that,

because I just don’t see from a practical standpoint how that’s possible to go from that to that,

and we have that happening in numerous places.”

It was deeply offensive to most people with even a glimmer of intelligence,

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/1937201

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A new rhetorical tack based on innumeracy has taken hold. People think that figures in the single digits for death and transmission are statistically trivial in the context of a deadly, highly contagious pandemic virus. We saw it with Dr. Oz this morning, Berenson and TSA just used it again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dr facci said “theres jo miracle cure for this” I kinda agree but hope u r right

but even in best case scenario. it would take about 6 months to finish tests and make enough supply.

we will be in dire situation for a min of 6 months in a best case scenario

many small businesses will die in the meantime and lots of unemployment

a mini great depresion

and thats best case
    Doubt your timeline is right. It’s about to go into a 1500 patient expanded trial. It appears to be showing dramatic positive outcome for patients on ventilators where there’s been an 80 mortality rate. Since they’re already using sketchy, anecdotal hydrocloraquin this will be super fast tracked.

Loaded up on GILD a couple of weeks ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A new rhetorical tack based on innumeracy has taken hold. People think that figures in the single digits for death and transmission are statistically trivial in the context of a deadly, highly contagious pandemic virus. We saw it with Dr. Oz this morning, Berenson and TSA just used it again.
    Oz was excited about a 2-3% death rate from opening up schools. Ghoulish.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doubt your timeline is right. It’s about to go into a 1500 patient expanded trial. It appears to be showing dramatic positive outcome for patients on ventilators where there’s been an 80 mortality rate. Since they’re already using sketchy, anecdotal hydrocloraquin this will be super fast tracked.

you need to understand what Facci said is very true

viral infections never have a miracle “cure”

there are treatments like HIV drug tails that help but the human body is the one that in the end needs to get rid of it

my timeline is spot on

ask any doctor has there ever been a sureshot cure for a virus ever

the answer is no

think of the miracle hiv treatments that have been developed . howcome ppl still die of it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you need to understand what Facci said is very true

viral infections never have a miracle “cure”

there are treatments like HIV drug tails that help but the human body is the one that in the end needs to get rid of it

my timeline is spot on

ask any doctor has there ever been a sureshot cure for a virus ever

the answer is no

think of the miracle hiv treatments that have been developed . howcome ppl still die of it?
    Ask any doctor? Ok I asked the guy in the mirror and he told me to have you look up hepa is C as an example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    here is some info nigs:

The reasons involve biology and, to a lesser extent, money. Drug companies have developed treatments for a handful of viruses in the last few decades, such as HIV and the flu, but the arsenal is minimal when compared with all the antibiotics we have for treating bacteria. Remember that viruses are not bacteria, so antibiotics are no help.
    The main difficulty is that viruses are technically not alive, instead depending on the “machinery” inside human cells to reproduce, said Zachary A. Klase, associate professor of biology at the University of the Sciences. So a drug that targets any part of that parasitic cycle could harm the patient in the process.

“You want something that targets the sickness and not you,” he said. “You need to look for the special things that only the virus is doing."
    A few of the enzymes used by various viruses are distinct enough from their human counterparts that they can be targeted without harming the patient, said Megan Culler Freeman, a fellow in the pediatrics department at the University of Pittsburgh. That is how antiviral drugs work against HIV, for example. But even then, such drugs do not eliminate the virus, but instead keep it under control, she said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inq...outputType=amp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ask any doctor? Ok I asked the guy in the mirror and he told me to have you look up hepa is C as an example.
    hey hope u r right ma nig

Ill be here in 6 months and u can definitely do rub it in my face and Ill be the happiest loser alive

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's great if that treatment works on severe cases, including ones on respirators. We also need good treatments in early stages, to keep people out of hospital.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    here is some info nigs:

The reasons involve biology and, to a lesser extent, money. Drug companies have developed treatments for a handful of viruses in the last few decades, such as HIV and the flu, but the arsenal is minimal when compared with all the antibiotics we have for treating bacteria. Remember that viruses are not bacteria, so antibiotics are no help.
    The main difficulty is that viruses are technically not alive, instead depending on the “machinery” inside human cells to reproduce, said Zachary A. Klase, associate professor of biology at the University of the Sciences. So a drug that targets any part of that parasitic cycle could harm the patient in the process.

“You want something that targets the sickness and not you,” he said. “You need to look for the special things that only the virus is doing."
    A few of the enzymes used by various viruses are distinct enough from their human counterparts that they can be targeted without harming the patient, said Megan Culler Freeman, a fellow in the pediatrics department at the University of Pittsburgh. That is how antiviral drugs work against HIV, for example. But even then, such drugs do not eliminate the virus, but instead keep it under control, she said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inq...outputType=amp
    Here is better info nigs.

https://www.drugtargetreview.com/new...l-replication/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's great if that treatment works on severe cases, including ones on respirators. We also need good treatments in early stages, to keep people out of hospital.
    This drug is administered intravenously so not a good candidate for what’s considered mild cases I don’t think.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/sp-5...ronavirus.html

Dow futures rip 800 points higher amid report Gilead drug showing effectiveness treating coronavirus

U.S. stock futures surged on Thursday night after a report said a Gilead Sciences drug was showing effectiveness in treating the coronavirus. The move pointed to a jump for the stock market on Friday.

Dow Jones Industrial Average futures were up 800 points, or about 3.4%. S&P 500 futures gained 3.2% while Nasdaq 100 futures were up by 2.1%.

Gilead shares jumped by 14% in after-hours trading after STAT news reported that a Chicago hospital treating coronavirus patients with Remdesivir in a trial were recovering rapidly from severe symptoms. The publication cited a video it obtained where the trial results were discussed.

let us pray, sons
    Was looking at the s&p 500 earlier and it's at the same level as last June. That's insane imo. Walmart and Amazon are currently skyrocketing.

Thanks for the glimmer of hope and now I'll watch it slip away like sand through my fingers.

Thread Information