Page 539 of 1632 FirstFirst ... 3943948952953553653753853954054154254354958963910391539 ... LastLast
Results 13,451 to 13,475 of 40782
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Right is a death cult:

https://thefederalist.com/2020/04/23...rus-lockdowns/

Oh, so the media shouldn't alert young people they are at risk? And actually, the media at first downplayed the risk for young people, and it backfired as young people crowded beaches and bars in light of that information only to find out they might suffer a stroke or get hit way harder by this virus than any flu they've ever had. The hospitalization for the 18-44 demo in New York is about 2.5x higher than the flu hospitalization rate across all demographics.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/#S6
    https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

What an irresponsible article.
    It's an extreme version of the normal indoctrination that all social good flows from capital and ownership. Nothing is more mundane than workers, customers and random citizens dying without any remedy, merely to preserve the rate of return on investment.

One human death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

Billy Bob
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=baseline bum;10130768]Are you trying to order at peak dinner hours? I imagine they only have a skeleton crew going right now.[/QUOTE

Peak dinner hours. Well Wingstop doesn't really have many employees working there at all times. There small restaurants that rely mostly on takeout since there tables and dinning rooms are small. They only have like 3,4 people in the kitchen, and a pimply faced teenage girl on the cash register. Their business model is made to survive pandemics.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus, Cuomo really explains the out of everything going on. Actually gave numbers and metrics that will influence/dictate the reopening procedure. Seems like a black box in Texas so far.

Billy Bob
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. And restaurants that have a cult following like Whataburger, TJ's burgers and B'B bbq on the southside, in and out, golden wok etc. They ain't going anywhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus, Cuomo really explains the out of everything going on. Actually gave numbers and metrics that will influence/dictate the reopening procedure. Seems like a black box in Texas so far.
    He provides a no-bull baseline every day.

... though I still don't know how to connect the numbers he announces to the actuals that show up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's an extreme version of the normal indoctrination that all social good flows from capital and ownership. Nothing is more mundane than workers, customers and random citizens dying without any remedy, merely to preserve the rate of return on investment.

One human death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.
    And it's irritating how the writer tried to couch that perspective within a moral argument about these situations being "worse than death." Losing your business is not a fate worse than death. Staying at home for 6 months to a year is not a fate worse than death. Bankruptcy is not a fate worse than death. If you consider that a fate worse than death, then you need to rethink your priorities in life and shift your hierarchy of values around, something this author didn't suggest as he described "jobs" as sources of tremendous moral worth and calling business ownership a "sacred activity" (funny how with the mainstream decline of religion, commerce is now described with religious adjectives. The heretofore "higher calling" isn't toward God anymore, but toward profit/productivity). I'm sure the children of restaurant owner would rather have their parents around than risking them dying to engage in that "sacred activity." I know I would.

But it shows you how deep that indoctrination has run, that the "moral worth" of a person or activity is primarily centered around how economically "productive" they/it is. This has ascended to primacy on that aforementioned hierarchy of values I talked about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And it's irritating how the writer tried to couch that perspective within a moral argument about these situations being "worse than death." Losing your business is not a fate worse than death. Staying at home for 6 months to a year is not a fate worse than death. Bankruptcy is not a fate worse than death. If you consider that a fate worse than death, then you need to rethink your priorities in life and shift your hierarchy of values around, something this author didn't suggest as he described "jobs" as sources of tremendous moral worth and calling business ownership a "sacred activity" (funny how with the mainstream decline of religion, commerce is now described with religious adjectives. The heretofore "higher calling" isn't toward God anymore, but toward profit/productivity). I'm sure the children of restaurant owner would rather have their parents around than risking them dying to engage in that "sacred activity." I know I would.

But it shows you how deep that indoctrination has run, that the "moral worth" of a person or activity is primarily centered around how economically "productive" they/it is. This has ascended to primacy on that aforementioned hierarchy of values I talked about.
    Boom. There's a reason Liber s always look the same, white men, born into the best of cir stances if not inherited wealth, lecturing the masses while all they care about is protecting their own.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Funny enough, the author of that article is a Christian

His work has also been published on Patheos, The Public Discourse, and Christianity Today.
    I find the modern American Evangelical Christian's unrelenting defense of consumerism/capitalism quite strange, when Christianity valued the ascetic life all throughout its history. Asceticism, celibacy, and poverty were/still required in many orders in order to get closer to God, to better focus on that higher calling.

Billy Bob
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

True. The most important thing in life is your health and family. What good is money if your not healthy?

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boom. There's a reason Liber s always look the same, white men, born into the best of cir stances if not inherited wealth, lecturing the masses while all they care about is protecting their own.
    Should be a lot more libertarian women if all it takes is being born into the best of cir stances and wealth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should be a lot more libertarian women if all it takes is being born into the best of cir stances and wealth.
    Throw in male privilege the men think they earned too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, they were totally in on woman's suffrage

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Libertarianism, and libertarians are totally bull .

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Throw in male privilege the men think they earned too.
    And female privilege should lead women down the same path.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, they were totally in on woman's suffrage
    Are we in 1920?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And female privilege should lead women down the same path.
    Which privilege is that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's no mystery there aren't more women in the club. Being a professed libertarian is like having a tattoo on your forehead that says I am a condescending, selfish, anti-social creep.

Libertarianism is essentially astrology for men, with this proviso: it has an even weaker empirical basis. It's almost pure mythology. Celestial bodies at least have measurable gravity and light.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Up to 96% of prisoners who tested positive are asymptomatic

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN2270RX

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Up to 96% of prisoners who tested positive are asymptomatic

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN2270RX
    Probably because they're young and work out every day. Not much to do in prison.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SARSCov2 detected on particulate matter from air pollution

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    remember the waiters will need more $ due to it being a risky job

and full insurance tbqh

that is not gonna happen

more likely are automated restaurants with no waiters at tables

kinda self service
    I think if restaurants open back up, people will go and waiters will wait. There's just too many people clamoring for things to go back to normal that can't help themselves.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UChicago Medicine doctors see 'truly remarkable' success using ventilator alternatives to treat COVID-19

seeing “truly remarkable” results using high-flow nasal cannulas rather than ventilators and intubation

High-flow nasal cannulas, or HFNCs, are non-invasive nasal prongs that sit below the nostrils and blow large volumes of warm, humidified oxygen into the nose and lungs.

dozens of COVID-19 patients who were in respiratory distress and gave them HFNCs instead of putting them on ventilators. The patients all fared extremely well, and only one of them required intubation after 10 days.

“The proning and the high-flow nasal cannulas combined have brought patient oxygen levels from around 40% to 80% and 90%,

so it’s been fascinating and wonderful to see,”

https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/uchicago-medicine-doctors-see-truly-remarkable-success-using-ventilator-alternatives-to-treat-covid19
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 04-26-2020 at 04:04 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if restaurants open back up, people will go and waiters will wait. There's just too many people clamoring for things to go back to normal that can't help themselves.
    It'll happen for a month or so. Then all of a sudden that exponential growth will let itself be known overnight after that month of slow burn just like it did a few weeks ago, and the restaurants will empty.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'll happen for a month or so. Then all of a sudden that exponential growth will let itself be known overnight after that month of slow burn just like it did a few weeks ago, and the restaurants will empty.
    To the Repugs, there are "things", like $$$, more important than human life.

I expect you are right, but less sure that the growth in cases and deaths-for-$$$ will increase, but not exponentially, so that the growth will be small or slow enough for the Repugs to spin as still worth less than the $$$, saying

"yeah more dead but we got more $$$ flowing, so it's all good, esp since the dead are mostly old people on their last legs (sorry about the blood fatal blood clots in the otherwise-healthy young and middle aged)".

"and btw, (poor) ladies, abortion is still an abomination before Christ Our Lord God and Savior"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To the Repugs, there are "things", like $$$, more important than human life.

I expect you are right, but less sure that the growth in cases and deaths-for-$$$ will increase, but not exponentially, so that the growth will be small or slow enough for the Repugs to spin as still worth less than the $$$, saying

"yeah more dead but we got more $$$ flowing, so it's all good, esp since the dead are mostly old people on their last legs (sorry about the blood fatal blood clots in the otherwise-healthy young and middle aged)".

"and btw, (poor) ladies, abortion is still an abomination before Christ Our Lord God and Savior"
    The number of currently infected / recovered / dead is almost certainly way too low for anything but exponential growth in every part of Texas given we're not going to do any meaningful level of contact tracing under a bag GOP government. I still can't ing believe opening gyms where people are inside and breathing hard and thus exhaling way more droplets in a confined area than basically any other kind of business one can fathom. But exponential is the only type of growth you can have early on with a non-response. You want something like linear growth you have to do what South Korea is, which we obviously will not.

Thread Information