Page 727 of 1632 FirstFirst ... 2276276777177237247257267277287297307317377778271227 ... LastLast
Results 18,151 to 18,175 of 40782
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that’s an overstatement.
    The abuse has already existed was extended into the pandemic

this business was not a clean business before this outbreak.

we do agree on one thing, we don’t agree
    Capitalists have been buying old people's home for the cash flow, while cutting budgets and staff

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Capitalists have been buying old people's home for the cash flow, while cutting budgets and staff
    Too bad capitalists can't get covid amirite?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Complete and utter ignorance if true. Defining the prevelence of spread in mass gatherings is essential to identifying appropriate mitigation. This wIll only extend anti science and anti math fear.

This is simply done because no real es in "new" cases. Agendas
    I really haven't followed all the back and forth. What is your basic premise that's being argued about?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really haven't followed all the back and forth. What is your basic premise that's being argued about?
    Context behind data.

In this case not defining where you were or have been completely opposes test and trace.

1. Defining prevalence among this type of mass gathering will be low and would help dispel the notion of lockdown
    Or
    2. High rate of spread would upset everyone because the government would have locked down but asuppotyed mass gathering.

Way for government to be political and not make any scientific headway or trace cases. Logic defying

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It just ridiculous and intentionally dishonest of you to claim those are the numbers
    What do you mean? What numbers are wrong? You made the claim of 70% of the human population in 2 years... completely unsupported. Do tell what's wrong with those numbers?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm the dishonest one, when you're throwing numbers against the wall and running away from them... sad!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RIP china again nigas rest in peace

Called it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Interesting. I wonder if it is being used in the US yet.

Just as a layman with common sense, I would have already thought steroids were being used in this fight(like since March), since inflammation is such a big deal with COVID.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    With the way China lies, those "40" cases are more like 400,000 new cases.

RIP china again nigas rest in peace

Called it

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    https://escholarship.org/uc/item/5h97n884

http://ftp.iza.org/dp13265.pdf

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27102.pdf

Fortunately, economists no longer have to rely on inherently flawed projections. We can use real data. In what might turn out to be the best paper on the economics of Covid-19, a team of economists from the University of California, Berkeley carefully evaluated empirical data on social distancing, shelter-in-place orders, and lives saved. To measure the impact of social distancing, they gathered data from cellphones on travel patterns, foot traffic in nonessential businesses, and personal interactions.

Their findings? Social-distancing measures reduced person-to-person contact by about 50%, while harsher shelter-in-place rules reduced contact by only an additional 5%. Then, using data on Covid-19 infection and mortality, they estimated that these measures saved 74,000 lives. Finally, after using demographic data to adjust the VSL—which is lower for older people, who have fewer years to live—the study found that the gross benefit of social distancing has been a mere $250 billion.

That finding casts major doubt on the value of lockdowns and even social distancing as a method of reducing the spread of Covid-19. While we can’t yet estimate a specific figure, the economic cost of social distancing and lockdowns will likely be more than $1 trillion. And that’s an understatement of the costs when you consider increased suicides and other social losses not captured in gross domestic product. For example, parents of young children have widely noted their kids’ gloomy outlook when not allowed to be with friends.

An even more recent study from economists affiliated with Germany’s IZA Ins ute of Labor Economics suggests that the Berkeley estimate of 74,000 lives saved over the past four months is best understood as an upper bound. The reason is that shelter-at-home policies don’t so much reduce Covid-19 deaths as delay them. Delaying deaths will reduce them if a vaccine or cure is found in time. But we can’t be sure that an effective vaccine will be produced and available any time soon.

Rather than validating draconian lockdown orders, the latest economic research on Covid-19 suggests that social-distancing efforts in general, and shelter-in-place measures in particular, have done more harm than good. That doesn’t mean that all such measures should be abandoned. “To socially distance or not to socially distance” is not the question. The question should be, what policies actually make sense?

To address that, a team of economists from the Massachusetts Ins ute of Technology recently published the results of a study that compared various alternative strategies for limiting the spread of Covid-19. They concluded that twice as many lives could be saved if governments focused limited resources on protecting the most vulnerable people rather than squandering them on those who seem to face almost no risk, such as children.

These four analyses honestly capture the evolution of economists’ understanding of Covid-19 and public responses to it. The emerging consensus on costs and benefits supports the view that populationwide lockdowns should end.

Mr. Henderson is a research fellow with Stanford University’s Hoover Ins ution, Mr. Lipow is a professor of economics at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, Calif.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-dat....co/GjktrR3OU6

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm the dishonest one, when you're throwing numbers against the wall and running away from them... sad!
    he's taking the ChumpDumper alt RandomGuy alt blake route. If you post numbers in context it is intellectual dishonesty.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Capitalist BULL , from the ing rightwing Hoover Inst published in the Capitalist/Murdoch toilet paper WSJ.

Capitalists' hoarding wealth is more important than The People's health and lives.

"squandering"? really, a dead-give away biased word
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 06-16-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Capitalist BULL , from the ing rightwing Hoover Inst published in the Capitalist/Murdoch toilet paper WSJ.

Capitalists' hoarding wealth is more important than The People's health and lives.

"squandering"? really, a dead-give away biased word
    Healthy people are being effected by lockdowns not covid. A fact that you ignore.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://escholarship.org/uc/item/5h97n884

http://ftp.iza.org/dp13265.pdf

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27102.pdf

Fortunately, economists no longer have to rely on inherently flawed projections. We can use real data. In what might turn out to be the best paper on the economics of Covid-19, a team of economists from the University of California, Berkeley carefully evaluated empirical data on social distancing, shelter-in-place orders, and lives saved. To measure the impact of social distancing, they gathered data from cellphones on travel patterns, foot traffic in nonessential businesses, and personal interactions.

Their findings? Social-distancing measures reduced person-to-person contact by about 50%, while harsher shelter-in-place rules reduced contact by only an additional 5%. Then, using data on Covid-19 infection and mortality, they estimated that these measures saved 74,000 lives. Finally, after using demographic data to adjust the VSL—which is lower for older people, who have fewer years to live—the study found that the gross benefit of social distancing has been a mere $250 billion.

That finding casts major doubt on the value of lockdowns and even social distancing as a method of reducing the spread of Covid-19. While we can’t yet estimate a specific figure, the economic cost of social distancing and lockdowns will likely be more than $1 trillion. And that’s an understatement of the costs when you consider increased suicides and other social losses not captured in gross domestic product. For example, parents of young children have widely noted their kids’ gloomy outlook when not allowed to be with friends.

An even more recent study from economists affiliated with Germany’s IZA Ins ute of Labor Economics suggests that the Berkeley estimate of 74,000 lives saved over the past four months is best understood as an upper bound. The reason is that shelter-at-home policies don’t so much reduce Covid-19 deaths as delay them. Delaying deaths will reduce them if a vaccine or cure is found in time. But we can’t be sure that an effective vaccine will be produced and available any time soon.

Rather than validating draconian lockdown orders, the latest economic research on Covid-19 suggests that social-distancing efforts in general, and shelter-in-place measures in particular, have done more harm than good. That doesn’t mean that all such measures should be abandoned. “To socially distance or not to socially distance” is not the question. The question should be, what policies actually make sense?

To address that, a team of economists from the Massachusetts Ins ute of Technology recently published the results of a study that compared various alternative strategies for limiting the spread of Covid-19. They concluded that twice as many lives could be saved if governments focused limited resources on protecting the most vulnerable people rather than squandering them on those who seem to face almost no risk, such as children.

These four analyses honestly capture the evolution of economists’ understanding of Covid-19 and public responses to it. The emerging consensus on costs and benefits supports the view that populationwide lockdowns should end.

Mr. Henderson is a research fellow with Stanford University’s Hoover Ins ution, Mr. Lipow is a professor of economics at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, Calif.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-dat....co/GjktrR3OU6
    Now's not the time for truth

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As many as five million have died in india

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did Balous Miller recommend?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. I wonder if it is being used in the US yet.

Just as a layman with common sense, I would have already thought steroids were being used in this fight(like since March), since inflammation is such a big deal with COVID.
    It's just a common corticosteroid. I remember the Chinese initially tried using them early in the pandemic and found they did not work or made it worse. That fits with a long body of evidence that corticosteroids should not be used for viral infections...
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...317-2/fulltext

So my gut tells me that this study is bunk but I'll reserve judgement until President Trump gives guidance

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now's not the time for truth
    Sure it is. ChumpDumper RandomGuy and TimDunkem need time to flip flop

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure it is. ChumpDumper RandomGuy and TimDunkem need time to flip flop
    you said it's the flu.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coronavirus: Dexamethasone proves first life-saving drug

The low-dose steroid treatment dexamethasone is a major breakthrough in the fight against the deadly virus

It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators.

For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth.

Had the drug had been used to treat patients in the UK from the start of the pandemic, up to 5,000 lives could have been saved,

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53061281

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexamethasone

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you said it's the flu.
    yep. Cdc says 2x flu while overcounting. You said 100x more than flu.

I'm right. You are a headline tweeter.
    Still afraid of family gatherings or you over that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Undercounted by a factor of 100 in korea

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coronavirus: Dexamethasone proves first life-saving drug

The low-dose steroid treatment dexamethasone is a major breakthrough in the fight against the deadly virus

It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators.

For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth.

Had the drug had been used to treat patients in the UK from the start of the pandemic, up to 5,000 lives could have been saved,

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53061281

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexamethasone
    Interesting. Same drug they give you for life threatening al ude sickness.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read a report weeks ago about giving a generic corticosteroid, anti-inflammatory, when symptoms start to get serious kept the victim from progressing to ARDS

Thread Information