Page 278 of 1631 FirstFirst ... 1782282682742752762772782792802812822883283787781278 ... LastLast
Results 6,926 to 6,950 of 40770
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is that it's not a little more. It's a lot more for products that take way longer to get to market. GE is now saying 1000 ventilators by the end of April. And they do want top dollar.

We simply can't put people to work here on 12 hour shifts, we really can't compete. Companies will shift to Vietnam or Honduras or 100 other countries before here.
    Then maybe we need to rethink our consumption habits? I'm not trying to preach, but I've been living off quality used goods and "outdated" (still running an i5 from 2011) electronics for probably a decade. I was once a "techie," but so many of these modern electronic devices are just shallow iterations of what we already have with a couple more bells and whistles.

I've seen the argument that the poor/lower middle class benefit the most from this "cheap Chinese good" dynamic and it raises their spending power. But guess what? Most of the things that demographic actually needs (household appliances like washers and driers, stoves, refrigerators, beds, cribs, etc) can be bought used for far cheaper and will usually be better quality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then maybe we need to rethink our consumption habits? I'm not trying to preach, but I've been living off quality used goods and "outdated" (still running an i5 from 2011) electronics for probably a decade. I was once a "techie," but so many of these modern electronic devices are just shallow iterations of what we already have with a couple more bells and whistles.

I've seen the argument that the poor/lower middle class benefit the most from this "cheap Chinese good" dynamic and it raises their spending power. But guess what? Most of the things that demographic actually needs (household appliances like washers and driers, stoves, refrigerators, beds, cribs, etc) can be bought used for far cheaper and will usually be better quality.
    Sorry, this isn't happening, IMO. It's not so much about what we do, but what companies do, and they'll always go for the cheapest, best ROI, period. Bottom line trumps everything. Just look at the continued fight of corps against the right to repair.

I mean, at least, I don't see it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another thing to think re Rural counties is also that deaths and cases there will be severely under reported. Many people won't seek care in those locations and deaths will be chalked up to something else.

Deaths every where are really likely to under counted, actually

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, this isn't happening, IMO. It's not so much about what we do, but what companies do, and they'll always go for the cheapest, best ROI, period. Bottom line trumps everything. Just look at the continued fight of corps against the right to repair.

I mean, at least, I don't see it.
    How isn't about what we do? If we don't buy their stuff, they either have to change their business model or fold. If Americans vow to only buy from firms that manufacturer domestically or just anywhere BUT China, this will put pressure on those companies.

And I'm taking aim at all sides here. I see the "yeehaw, we done need to stop dealin' with them Chineee and make Murrican stuff again!" from the proverbial Cletus, while he's pushing a cart full of cheap Chinese crap out of the local Walmart. "You believe it, Billy Ray. Got this here 4K teee veee for 200 smackers!"

Maybe we're just too addicted to "stuff," eh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How isn't about what we do? If we don't buy their stuff, they either have to change their business model or fold. If Americans vow to only buy from firms that manufacturer domestically or just anywhere BUT China, this will put pressure on those companies.

And I'm taking aim at all sides here. I see the "yeehaw, we done need to stop dealin' with them Chineee and make Murrican stuff again!" from the proverbial Cletus, while he's pushing a cart full of cheap Chinese crap out of the local Walmart. "You believe it, Billy Ray. Got this here 4K teee veee for 200 smackers!"

Maybe we're just too addicted to "stuff," eh?
    Americans don't even know what they buy. How many people actually look at a label? They go to Target or Walmart, see a T-Shirt with the Walmart brand and buy.

Go to Amazon, and you can't even see a label. You just grab what's available.

We've tried this so many times, tbh... lots of "Made in USA" claims, when you start digging, only 1% of the components are made in USA. It's just really a money issue here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    walmart family will make sure China is well fed tbqh

american billionaires will be first yo bow down to china

american consumers just want latest iphone and vibrator

they dont give a the here is made

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Counties highlighted in your article

Gunnison County, Colorado Hillary +19

Summit County, Utah Hillary +15

Blaine County. Idaho Hillary +29

You're expressing glee, TSA.

Try not to be so gleeful, okay?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To not be reliant on them. The ultimatum is either: Reform your government and we'll keep on as business as usual. Or American (and European) corporations will shutter all those factories and move them domestic or to other developing countries that are growing their manufacturing base (China isn't the only player in the manufacturing game anymore).
    I don't think our governments really have that power tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trish Regan Out at Fox Business

Trish Regan has exited Fox Business Network, Fox confirmed Friday.

Regan said she was leaving to spend more time with her family during the current crisis, but the exit comes only a couple weeks after she got blowback for saying coronavirus concerns were a "scam" propagated by foes of President Trump.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/ne...t-fox-business

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Florida residents pack into megachurch after pastor promises he can cure coronavirus

The River Church in Tampa was packed with people looking for hope,

Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne has

denounced the social distancing claiming that he can cure the coronavirus

just like he did with the Zika virus (which still exists).

“We are not stopping anything.

I’ve got news for you, this church will never close.

The only time the church will close is when the Rapture is taking place,” Bible humpers!

“We brought in 13 machines that basically kill every virus in the place, and uh,

if somebody walks through the door it’s like, it kills everything on them.

If they sneeze, it shoots it down at like 100 mph.

It’ll neutralize it in split seconds.

We have the most sterile building in, I don’t know, all of America,”

cleanliness of the church does not impact someone coming into the church and spreading the disease from person to person,

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/florida-residents-pack-into-megachurch-after-pastor-promises-he-can-cure-coronavirus/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skip to around 9:50

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trish Regan Out at Fox Business

Trish Regan has exited Fox Business Network, Fox confirmed Friday.

Regan said she was leaving to spend more time with her family during the current crisis, but the exit comes only a couple weeks after she got blowback for saying coronavirus concerns were a "scam" propagated by foes of President Trump.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/ne...t-fox-business
    just about everyone is taping from home. How could you not be spending time with family?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Darrin on the hope kick still.

Meanwhile people keep dying and what's beginning to look like a trend now is that relatively young people are dying from this more often now.

Yesterday a 33 year old die and today it was reported first infant died from Coronoavirus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I've said many times I hope this results in us building a healthcare and pandemic response infrastructure to ensure this never happens again. But my gripe is the "Blame Trump" (and I do blame him for his botches) mentality is taking away attention from the actual culprit. And I fear the Western MSM will be so frothing at the mouth to blame Trump when this starts to settle down, China will emerge from this with their image unscathed, at least among the left. Vox leans Left, and has been taking aim at China's underhandedness, so there's hope.
    We have more control over trump (election) than China. It makes sense to focus efforts on what you can control. Crying about China, the original culprit, isn’t doing anything right now

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Meanwhile people keep dying and what's beginning to look like a trend now is that relatively young people are dying from this more often now.

Yesterday a 33 year old die and today it was reported first infant died from Coronoavirus.
    Because they wouldn't shelter in place until they'd had their fill. Then at their discretion they sheltered, not in place, but, round-a-bout. Then, lo & behold symptoms surfaced & panic set it IMMEDIATELY. "Oh, God, I'll do anything, God, please, God, don't let it be Corona, God."

It's human, we've all been there. We've all done (the God thing). Me? Twice.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    We have more control over trump (election) than China. It makes sense to focus efforts on what you can control. Crying about China, the original culprit, isn’t doing anything right now
    & Media won't ever let (us) get close enough to China. The kicker like I said is (there is no boodle at the end of China) like there'd be if this were OUR fault. I mean the lawyers will still set up a Corona shop like they did for Mesothelioma, even bigger, but, the payday won't be there, the checks not as fat and boundless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's human, we've all been there. We've all done (the God thing). Me? Twice.
    Zeus will send you to Hades though for not believing in him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

if dr. Fauci's prediction of over 100,000 dead is right ....then its not just the old thats gonna be dying

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I read she had battled cancer before. Healthy, young people can still perish from this but it is still really rare.

if dr. Fauci's prediction of over 100,000 dead is right ....then its not just the old thats gonna be dying
    That's just the media being sensationalist. Fauci literally said it wasn't a prediction and to not hold him to it because it's hard to project on a moving target. And yet CNN runs that as their headline smh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the rate of hospitalization in the state is slowing even as confirmed coronavirus cases continue to mount every day.

That’s the key indicator imo. Good news for NYC if it holds up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Americans don't even know what they buy. How many people actually look at a label? They go to Target or Walmart, see a T-Shirt with the Walmart brand and buy.

Go to Amazon, and you can't even see a label. You just grab what's available.

We've tried this so many times, tbh... lots of "Made in USA" claims, when you start digging, only 1% of the components are made in USA. It's just really a money issue here.
    I was going to say that the globalism genie can't be stuffed back in the lamp, that the kind of autarky MP is talking about is unlikely and completely untenable, but then something occurred to me.

If COVID-19 comes back for seconds and thirds like the 1918 flu, and if the financial system collapses a la 1929 (debt deflation spiral) the recession will be a long one, resulting in real scarcity in the global north. Pestilence will be a hindrance to international commerce and a spur to isolation; poverty in several countries will lead to social unrest and external enemies will be blamed to take the heat off politicians at home.

At the risk of sounding like hater, in that highly speculative situation -- not the present one -- global war might be the only tenable path to faster economic development (and relative industrial self-sufficiency) while relieving internal unrest in many countries at once.

I don't think this is a likely scenario, just trying to think of how the US might decouple from international finance and global supply chains at the same time.

Synchronized pestilence, global depression and WWIII might do the trick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read she had battled cancer before. Healthy, young people can still perish from this but it is still really rare.

That's just the media being sensationalist. Fauci literally said it wasn't a prediction and to not hold him to it because it's hard to project on a moving target. And yet CNN runs that as their headline smh.

Tru he did say 100-100,000 so theres some def leeway

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "domestic cat in Belgium has been infected with COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus that's spreading across the globe, the government's FPS Public Health, Food Chain Safety and Environment announced March 27, according to news reports.

This is the first human-to-cat transmission of the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2). About a week after its owner got sick with COVID-19, after returning from a trip to Northern Italy, the cat developed coronavirus symptoms: diarrhea, vomiting and respiratory issues, Steven Van Gucht, virologist and federal spokesperson for the coronavirus epidemic in Belgium, told Live Science.

The owner sent samples of vomit and feces to Dr. Daniel Desmecht's lab at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of Liège. Genetic tests showed high levels of SARS-CoV-2 in those samples, he said. "The cat recovered after 9 days," Van Gucht said.

Related: 13 Coronavirus myths busted by science

Cats and humans appear to have a similar "doorknob" on the surfaces of respiratory cells that lets the SARS-CoV-2 virus get inside, according to Van Gucht.

In humans, scientists have figured out that the SARS-CoV-2 virus attaches to a receptor protein called ACE2 that's on the outside of respiratory cells. Once inside of these cells, the virus hijacks certain machinery so it can replicate.

"The feline ACE2 protein resembles the human ACE2 logue, which is most likely the cellular receptor which is being used by Sars-CoV-2 for cell entry," Van Gucht said.

During the 2003 SARS outbreak, cats were infected with a coronavirus as well, Van Gucht said.

The only other pets thought to have "caught" the novel coronavirus from owners were two dogs in Hong Kong. ...."

https://www.livescience.com/cat-infe...rom-owner.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "domestic cat in Belgium has been infected with COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus that's spreading across the globe, the government's FPS Public Health, Food Chain Safety and Environment announced March 27, according to news reports.

This is the first human-to-cat transmission of the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2). About a week after its owner got sick with COVID-19, after returning from a trip to Northern Italy, the cat developed coronavirus symptoms: diarrhea, vomiting and respiratory issues, Steven Van Gucht, virologist and federal spokesperson for the coronavirus epidemic in Belgium, told Live Science.

The owner sent samples of vomit and feces to Dr. Daniel Desmecht's lab at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of Liège. Genetic tests showed high levels of SARS-CoV-2 in those samples, he said. "The cat recovered after 9 days," Van Gucht said.

Related: 13 Coronavirus myths busted by science

Cats and humans appear to have a similar "doorknob" on the surfaces of respiratory cells that lets the SARS-CoV-2 virus get inside, according to Van Gucht.

In humans, scientists have figured out that the SARS-CoV-2 virus attaches to a receptor protein called ACE2 that's on the outside of respiratory cells. Once inside of these cells, the virus hijacks certain machinery so it can replicate.

"The feline ACE2 protein resembles the human ACE2 logue, which is most likely the cellular receptor which is being used by Sars-CoV-2 for cell entry," Van Gucht said.

During the 2003 SARS outbreak, cats were infected with a coronavirus as well, Van Gucht said.

The only other pets thought to have "caught" the novel coronavirus from owners were two dogs in Hong Kong. ...."

https://www.livescience.com/cat-infe...rom-owner.html

That is some xfiles right there

Thread Information