Page 811 of 1631 FirstFirst ... 3117117618018078088098108118128138148158218619111311 ... LastLast
Results 20,251 to 20,275 of 40770
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the airborne/aerosol controversy is a hot one apparently:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2768396

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for the twitter philes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A respiratory disease is in the air. Who knew?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last I read, it's no longer considered merely a respiratory disease...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Others might be interested in the professional conversation about it, if you don't wish to condescend to details that's a personal choice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    outbreak in Hong Kong

The developments came as Hong Kong recorded 125 new Covid-19 cases on Saturday, the 11th day in a row with triple-digit increases

The city also reported its highest daily death toll. Six elderly patients confirmed with Covid-19 and another who tested preliminary positive were the latest fatalities. They all had chronic illnesses and three were care home residents. The official infection tally stood at 3,396 with 33 related deaths.

Social-distancing measures including mandatory mask wearing in public areas, and a ban on gatherings of more than two people and on restaurant dine-in services from 6pm to 5am were expected to be extended
    , a source familiar with the situation said.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...clinical-teams

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the main path of infection is nasal

all the proof I need, without the academic research, is that widespread masks decreases cases, no masks increases cases.

It looks like the Berliners are emulating the American anti-mask freedumb obliviots,

just as Hitler followed the white supremacy example of an an American writer.

Ain't America da best evah?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas doctor fighting 'war against COVID and a war against stupidity'

Texas, battling a e in coronavirus cases, set a state record for deaths in a week with 1,875. At least one top physician in the state is upset by the public's unwillingness to wear masks, practice social distancing and otherwise join the battle to halt the pandemic.

"I'm pretty much fighting two wars," Dr. Joseph Varon told told NBC News in Houston. "A war against COVID and a war against stupidity. And the problem is the first one, I have some hope about winning. But the second one is becoming more and more difficult."

Varon, chief medical officer of United Memorial Medical Center, said that although science and common sense dictate some of the measures, "people just are not listening throughout the country."

"The thing that annoys me the most is that we keep on doing our best to save these people, and then we get another batch of people who are doing exactly what we are telling them not to do," Varon said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ia/5563510002/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "we keep on doing our best to save these people,"

... while risking their health and lives trying to save the stupids.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for the twitter philes

I think the tweet count itself illustrates the problem in trying to find a single word to communicate how it is thought this virus is transmitted. It looks like it's easier to get in an indoor setting where people aren't wearing masks. That's about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the tweet count itself illustrates the problem in trying to find a single word to communicate how it is thought this virus is transmitted. It looks like it's easier to get in an indoor setting where people aren't wearing masks. That's about it.
    Anything that gets people talking about pertinent COVID-19 facts is to be encouraged, even if it seems silly at times. You never can be too obvious, or too clear.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anything that gets people talking about pertinent COVID-19 facts is to be encouraged, even if it seems silly at times. You never can be too obvious, or too clear.
    Right. I just don't think the goal should be one word descriptors for such a complicated mechanism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right. I just don't think the goal should be one word descriptors for such a complicated mechanism.
    sounds about right

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last I read, it's no longer considered merely a respiratory disease...
    With how it affects other systems, I've heard is called vascular disease.

That's the truth though, what else could we do to get normalcy back

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you take the vaccine then you won't have to worry about people that decide not to take it since you will be immune.

Federally mandated vaccines should scare you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Don't worry, I hear the October Surprise is a COVID-19 vaccine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you take the vaccine then you won't have to worry about people that decide not to take it since you will be immune.

Federally mandated vaccines should scare you.
    Hah, if we had a COVID-19 vaccine we wouldn't have enough for everyone. Not even close.

Do you think Trump is going to make it mandatory?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rushing out a hastily tested and Trump-approved vaccine just in time for the election but too late to know for sure whether it actually works, would seem to be the thing to do.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't worry, I hear the October Surprise is a COVID-19 vaccine.
    It's gonna be Barr releasing Durham's bull . Of course, since Trash, Barr, etc have totally lied so far, Durham's bull will have no credibility, will land like a dead cat with no bounce.

Trash has been hosing out many $Bs for a vaccine, even to criminal Kodak mgmt for HCQ chemicals .

Perhaps if he had started in Nov '19 paying for vaccine and doing all the anti-pandemic stuff a Real President would have done, we might have had a vaccine, the pandemic well under control instead exploding, and Trash a lock for a 2nd term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    solid take, boutons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    foreshadowing

The Philippines stock market tumbled on Monday (Aug 3) after the government reimposed coronavirus lockdown measures in and around Manila in response to fresh outbreaks, dashing hopes of a swifter economic recovery.

The restrictions, due to take effect from Tuesday, are being reinstated after a group of doctors and nurses warned that the healthcare system could collapse as a result of surging COVID-19 cases.

"It's a bitter but necessary pill given the plight of our medical frontliners," said Francis Lim, president of the Management Association of the Philippines. "We hope the government will deep dive into our COVID-19 strategy and find more effective ways to execute it."
    https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...duced-12985632

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "What we are seeing today is different from March and April. It is extraordinarily widespread," Birx told CNN

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As the coronavirus established itself in the U.S., it found a nation through which it could spread easily, without being detected. For years, Pardis Sabeti, a virologist at the Broad Ins ute of Harvard and MIT, has been trying to create a surveillance network that would allow hospitals in every major U.S. city to quickly track new viruses through genetic sequencing. Had that network existed, once Chinese scientists published SARS‑CoV‑2’s genome on January 11, every American hospital would have been able to develop its own diagnostic test in preparation for the virus’s arrival. “I spent a lot of time trying to convince many funders to fund it,” Sabeti told me. “I never got anywhere.”

The CDC developed and distributed its own diagnostic tests in late January. These proved useless because of a faulty chemical component. Tests were in such short supply, and the criteria for getting them were so laughably stringent, that by the end of February, tens of thousands of Americans had likely been infected but only hundreds had been tested. The official data were so clearly wrong that The Atlantic developed its own volunteer-led initiative—the COVID Tracking Project—to count cases.

Diagnostic tests are easy to make, so the U.S. failing to create one seemed inconceivable. Worse, it had no Plan B. Private labs were strangled by FDA bureaucracy. Meanwhile, Sabeti’s lab developed a diagnostic test in mid-January and sent it to colleagues in Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and Senegal. “We had working diagnostics in those countries well before we did in any U.S. states,” she told me.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ailure/614191/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when the fire department has a slow year, do you cut its budget?

“As public health did its job, it became a target” of budget cuts, says Lori Freeman, the CEO of the National Association of County and City Health Officials.

Today, the U.S. spends just 2.5 percent of its gigantic health-care budget on public health. Underfunded health departments were already struggling to deal with opioid addiction, climbing obesity rates, contaminated water, and easily preventable diseases. Last year saw the most measles cases since 1992. In 2018, the U.S. had 115,000 cases of syphilis and 580,000 cases of gonorrhea—numbers not seen in almost three decades. It has 1.7 million cases of chlamydia, the highest number ever recorded.

Since the last recession, in 2009, chronically strapped local health departments have lost 55,000 jobs—a quarter of their workforce. When COVID‑19 arrived, the economic downturn forced overstretched departments to furlough more employees. When states needed battalions of public-health workers to find infected people and trace their contacts, they had to hire and train people from scratch.

Thread Information