Page 323 of 1632 FirstFirst ... 2232733133193203213223233243253263273333734238231323 ... LastLast
Results 8,051 to 8,075 of 40782
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was under the impression that hydroxychloroquine was a prescription medication available already for malaria.
    You can't prescribe a drug approved for one indication (malaria) for another (covid) unless you are part of a clinical trial (which is usually double-blinded meaning some get placebos and neither doc or patient know if they got the actual drug) or if the FDA issues an emergency order, which they did Sunday.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still wondering why people feel compelled to defend Trump. He failed the nation and people are dying because of his feckless inaction and lies.

What's in it for his defenders?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I don't get about all these doctor's claims is how they've been treating "all their patients" with hydroxychloroquine when the FDA just approved prescription outside clinical trials a few days ago. He's been a part of these trials or breaking the law? If he's part of the trials, he's asking his sons instead to do the analysis?
    Docs have been treating patients with it for weeks now. From what I can tell, it's more of a "why not" situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Docs have been treating patients with it for weeks now. From what I can tell, it's more of a "why not" situation.
    lol no

that's not how this works. my job is literally knowing how this works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't prescribe a drug approved for one indication (malaria) for another (covid) unless you are part of a clinical trial (which is usually double-blinded meaning some get placebos and neither doc or patient know if they got the actual drug) or if the FDA issues an emergency order, which they did Sunday.
    Apparently doctors in Michigan were doing just that and were warned by the governor I guess to cut that out. Now they have requested more of that drug but those two are not mutually exclusive. It's interesting how some of these news agencies latch onto these things as if they are contradictory stances. Perfectly understandable that authorities would have an issue with doctors prescribing untested medications to their family and friends for panic storing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol no

How what works?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Donald Trump misses key facts in claim that New York governor refused to buy ventilators in 2015

• A 2015 New York state report said that in the case of a “severe” pandemic, the state would be short about 16,000 ventilators during the peak week. But the report did not recommend buying 16,000 ventilators, and did not indicate whether the state was at a fiscal position to purchase them.
    • The state did not plan to increase its ventilator stockpile because it anticipated that in the event of a severe crisis, there would be shortage of trained staff to operate them and demand would outweigh any emergency stockpile.
    • The report said the state had to balance the likely ventilator shortage with the need for adequate funding for current and ongoing health care expenses.

politifact.com/factchecks/2020/mar/25/donald-trump/donald-trump-misses-key-facts-claim-new-york-gover/

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol no

How does this work? So far all I've heard about this is

1) anecdotes from French doctor.

2) anecdotes from NY doctor.

3) anecdotes from NJ doctor with sons who did....something....

4) anecdotes from Dr. Oz about China.

As widely available as the drugs seem to be, shouldn't there be more than this out there?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was under the impression that hydroxychloroquine was a prescription medication available already for malaria.
    As well as autoimmune disorders, yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The rules around what a doctor can and cannot do. There's no discretion when it comes to prescribing medication. It is either legal or illegal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol overstatement

they just quarantined a city of 11 million

the virus is mutating

its the mainstream media who are downplaying this

thinking a paper mask and thermometer can stop this

some clown “doctor” on CNBC just said this is a nothingburger and laughed off the measly 500 infections and 17 dead. its only been 3 days ya dumb and do you really think only 500 infections?
    CALLED IT

WE HIT 1 MILLION

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Social-Distancing Culture War Has Begun

Across the country, social distancing is morphing from a public-health to political act. The consequences could be disastrous.

At the driving range, while Frost and his like-minded friends slathered on hand sanitizer and kept six feet apart, the

white-haired Republicans seemed to delight in breaking the new rules.

They made a show of shaking hands, and complained loudly about the “stupid hoax” being propagated by virus alarmists.

When their tee times were up, they piled defiantly into golf carts, shoulder to shoulder, and sped off toward the first hole.

social distancing has come to be viewed in some quarters as a political act—a way to signal which side you’re on.

“I would rather die than kill the country,” Glenn Beck

Dennis Prager:

“That at ude, that the only value is saving a life … it leads to cowardice.

It has to. No one can die? Then it’s not a war" rightwingnutjob "logic" wannabe Macho Man

proudly told me how unfazed he and his conservative neighbors were by the threat of an outbreak.

as a conservative, he’s become convinced that many Democrats are so invested in the idea that the virus will be disastrous that they’re pushing for prolonged, unnecessary shutdowns in pursuit of vindication.

Katherine Vincent-Crowson, a 35-year-old self-defense instructor from Slidell, Louisiana,

A devotee of Ayn Rand, that explains the stupidity

Vincent-Crowson told me Louisiana’s shelter-in-place order was a frightening example of government overreach.

“I’m a libertarian … that explains the stupidity

I don’t really like being told what to do.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ulture/609019/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The rules around what a doctor can and cannot do. There's no discretion when it comes to prescribing medication. It is either legal or illegal.
    Don't doctors prescribe off-label medications all the time without need for approval from the FDA? Doesn't the FDA only regulate the manufacturer of the drug so that they cannot advertise its benefits without these tests and FDA approval?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't doctors prescribe off-label medications all the time without need for approval from the FDA? Doesn't the FDA only regulate the manufacturer of the drug so that they cannot advertise its benefits without these tests and FDA approval?
    no

teacher give him an F

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very well. But the fact remains that we've been prescribing the plaquenil/azithromycin combo for at least two weeks now to COVID patients, inpatient and out. But I've not read any concrete evidence that it reduces or shortens symptoms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does this work? So far all I've heard about this is

1) anecdotes from French doctor.

2) anecdotes from NY doctor.

3) anecdotes from NJ doctor with sons who did....something....

4) anecdotes from Dr. Oz about China.

As widely available as the drugs seem to be, shouldn't there be more than this out there?
    I'm strictly speaking about the legality and regulatory approval of using a prescription drug to treat an indication for which it is not approved.

It's very simple, actually.

1) Drug is FDA approved for an indication (malaria)
    2) Drug can only be prescribed by doctor to patient diagnosed with such disease
    3) If a doctor breaks this law, his license is gone, criminally charged potentially, etc
    4) Drugs approved for one indication (malaria) can be approved for clinical trials on a population of another indication (covid)
    5) Clinical trials can be initiated immediately upon approval, this has been ongoing for weeks. But it is controlled, these are double-blind, there are placebos, etc
    6) The law described in (2) can be lifted by FDA emergency order, which they issued on Sunday. This:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) to BARDA to allow hydroxychloroquine sulfate and chloroquine phosphate products donated to the Strategic National Stockpile (SNS) to be distributed and prescribed by doctors to hospitalized teen and adult patients with COVID-19, as appropriate, when a clinical trial is not available or feasible.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I don't get about all these doctor's claims is how they've been treating "all their patients" with hydroxychloroquine when the FDA just approved prescription outside clinical trials a few days ago. He's been a part of these trials or breaking the law? If he's part of the trials, he's asking his sons instead to do the analysis?
    About 30% of all prescriptions are for off label use. It's always been the case that Docs can prescribe FDA approved meds for other than FDA approved use.

Why is there such a hope that these drugs don't work from you lefties? Is it just cuz Trump?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no

teacher give him an F
    From the FDA perspective, once the FDA approves a drug, healthcare providers generally may prescribe the drug for an unapproved use when they judge that it is medically appropriate for their patient.

From the FDA website

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are MDs who post here. Hopefully one of them will chime in. However the FDA website is quite clear.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still wondering why people feel compelled to defend Trump. He failed the nation and people are dying because of his feckless inaction and lies.

What's in it for his defenders?
    The feeling that they aren't suckers. No one wants to think they were gullible enough to fall for a con man. Many don't bother to report to the police for that reason.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what is dosage mg / Kg of body weight?

enough of it will up your eyes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Off-label use is the use of pharmaceutical drugs for an unapproved indication or in an unapproved age group, dosage, or route of administration.[1] Both prescription drugs and over-the-counter drugs (OTCs) can be used in off-label ways, although most studies of off-label use focus on prescription drugs.

Off-label use is generally legal unless it violates ethical guidelines or safety regulations. The ability to prescribe drugs for uses beyond the officially approved indications is commonly used to good effect by healthcare providers. For example, methotrexate is commonly used off-label because its immunomodulatory effects relieve various disorders.[2] However, off-label use can entail health risks and differences in legal liability. Marketing of pharmaceuticals for off-label use is usually prohibited.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why might an approved drug be used for an unapproved use?

From the FDA perspective, once the FDA approves a drug, healthcare providers generally may prescribe the drug for an unapproved use when they judge that it is medically appropriate for their patient.
    You may be asking yourself why your healthcare provider would want to prescribe a drug to treat a disease or medical condition that the drug is not approved for. One reason is that there might not be an approved drug to treat your disease or medical condition. Another is that you may have tried all approved treatments without seeing any benefits. In situations like these, you and your healthcare provider may talk about using an approved drug for an unapproved use to treat your disease or medical condition.

hater

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't sound like Splits is all that great at his job.

Thread Information