Page 218 of 1631 FirstFirst ... 1181682082142152162172182192202212222282683187181218 ... LastLast
Results 5,426 to 5,450 of 40770
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why did Gilead get a monopoly? The USG doesn't hand out many of those.
    The NIH immediately focused on remdesivir ignoring the same demonstrated efficacy in vitro of the old (and cheap) chloroquine drugs. Remdesivir is an expensive treatment, intravenous only and daily, US based company. One can only speculate as to why. Personally I think it has more to do with "shiny new toy" syndrome prevalent in the research community than money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    billions but if its between that or keep shut down its a no brainer

pkus whole new industries would be formed employing millions
    What new industries will be employing millions? Seems like if a new manufacturing facility is being built, they'd start with robots.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The amount of tests have increased 5x in the last 6 days.
    From the link:

"Tests per day is a key number to track (along with actual cases and, sadly, deaths). But total tests were a key for South Korea slowing the spread of COVID-19. South Korea has been conducting 15,000 tests per day with a 51 million population, so the US needs to test around 100,000 per day."

Hopefully we have every intention to blow past that standard and not settle at the South Korea benchmark.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crossed 50k cases, 616 deaths rn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The amount of tests have increased 5x in the last 6 days.
    It's really disheartening that this has to come from a third party and not the CDC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is probably already an out-dated term but what's the data look like for how "Far behind" Texas urban areas are from NYC and Italy?

Felt like a week ago people were saying we were 2 weeks behind places like Seattle. could have been BS
    I don't think we are on the same trajectory as those two. Doubt we have as high of an elderly population and/or population density as them. Theres also the warm weather theory. California got their patient zero in late January and their curve didnt take off like the hardest hit areas. Check out mid's thread for more on that. The shelter in place orders should help too. Not sure wtf Houston is thinking though.
    Last edited by FkLA; 03-24-2020 at 12:37 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think we are on the same trajectory as those two. Doubt we have as high of an elderly population and/or population as them. Theres also the warm weather theory. California got their patient zero in late January and their curve didnt take off like the hardest hit areas. Check out mid's thread for more on that. The shelter in place orders should help too. Not sure wtf Houston is thinking though.
    Same, although Judge Hidalgo issued a "stay at home" order (as opposed to "shelter in place"). Effective 9am tomorrow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Different cities will follow different trajectories. You can't compare NYC with Austin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what I read (and I don't remember the source outright, but I suppose it can be googled if interested), is that the US has a hospital bed capacity of ~960,000, of which 65% is in use.

That would leave roughly ~350k beds (being generous here). I suspect that doesn't break evenly among states though, but also not everybody is going to need hospitalization.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patent law, by USGovt, creates monopolies, that are abused into renewals.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    billions but if its between that or keep shut down its a no brainer

pkus whole new industries would be formed employing millions
    I think that's the rub, as far as my armchair ass can see
    You have industries and lobbyists that represent them realizing the writing is on the wall for a new paradigm, and theres no risk-free guarantee they survive this staying on top.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NIH immediately focused on remdesivir ignoring the same demonstrated efficacy in vitro of the old (and cheap) chloroquine drugs. Remdesivir is an expensive treatment, intravenous only and daily, US based company. One can only speculate as to why. Personally I think it has more to do with "shiny new toy" syndrome prevalent in the research community than money.
    Occam's razor would seem to favor a family tie to the Trump Administration. Jared Kushner's brother Joshua is a co-founder of Gilead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Occam's razor would seem to favor a family tie to the Trump Administration. Jared Kushner's brother Joshua is a co-founder of Gilead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's their drug. Are you asking why does a pharmaceutical company get property rights in drugs it develops?
    Nope, they got "orphan" drug designation and total exclusivity for seven years.

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/23/...n-drug-status/

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Collin County’s shelter in place is a ing joke a ridiculous CYA meant to keep people quiet while making sure their rich Republican citizens get exactly what they want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what I read (and I don't remember the source outright, but I suppose it can be googled if interested), is that the US has a hospital bed capacity of ~960,000, of which 65% is in use.

That would leave roughly ~350k beds (being generous here). I suspect that doesn't break evenly among states though, but also not everybody is going to need hospitalization.
    Although the majority of reported COVID-19 cases in China were mild (81%) ... https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...cid=mm6912e2_w

You'd need approximately 1.84 million cases to fill up 350,000 beds (19%)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope, they got "orphan" drug designation and total exclusivity for seven years.

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/23/...n-drug-status/
    Did you read the first paragraph of this article?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Multiple Trump golf club disco party attendees infected with coronavirus

Two weeks ago guests contracted coronavirus at a disco party hosted at Trump National Golf Club in California.

Susan Brooks celebrated her 70th birthday March 8 at the Rancho Palos Verdes golf club, where she was joined by family, friends and local political figures — and she learned a week later that one of the guests had tested positive for the novel coronavirus

She soon tested positive, and so have three other guests.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/multiple-trump-golf-club-disco-party-attendees-infected-with-coronavirus/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If your point here was to flesh out the tie to the Trump administration, be clearer and use your words. I don't have a WH insinuation and inference decoder ring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Although the majority of reported COVID-19 cases in China were mild (81%) ... https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...cid=mm6912e2_w

You'd need approximately 1.84 million cases to fill up 350,000 beds (19%)
    yep, the concern is how this really breaks down state by state, and whether some states that might have the extra capacity will take on cases from states that might be overwhelmed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you sure about that? Link?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep, the concern is how this really breaks down state by state, and whether some states that might have the extra capacity will take on cases from states that might be overwhelmed.
    Bingo. It's possible that some states have some kind of return to normalcy while others are still in viral apocalypse lockdown

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crossed 50k cases, 616 deaths rn
    Most in New York. I feared for them. Bright side is that the Worldometer starts their day at GMT time. So the count has been going for 18 hours "today." I think if the US in total can stay in the 100-170 deaths per day range, we'll be doing good. We have to remember that we've had flu seasons where there's been 80,000 deaths in a year, over 200 per day.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/healt...-bn/index.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you sure about that? Link?
    The Kushner Family Could Be Getting Very Rich Thanks to the Coronavirus

The Kushner family’s ties to for-profit healthcare companies

underscore the myriad of conflicts of interests that billionaire businessmen have,

making them particularly unsuited to holding public office.

https://www.mintpressnews.com/kushner-family-getting-very-rich-thanks-to-coronavirus/265914/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most in New York. I feared for them. Bright side is that the Worldometer starts their day at GMT time. So the count has been going for 18 hours "today." I think if the US in total can stay in the 100-170 deaths per day range, we'll be doing good. We have to remember that we've had flu seasons where there's been 80,000 deaths in a year, over 200 per day.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/healt...-bn/index.html
    I think it was Reck that shared this, but it has live updates:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgylp3Td1Bw

While deaths are obviously the main barometer, how the number of cases e up is really what to keep an eye on, that's what can tilt the balance between normalcy and an overwhelmed system.

Thread Information