Page 1574 of 1631 FirstFirst ... 574107414741524156415701571157215731574157515761577157815841624 ... LastLast
Results 39,326 to 39,350 of 40770
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Nature this week, long term neurological outcomes are clocked

In this study involving 154,068 people who had COVID-19, 5,638,795 contemporary controls and 5,859,621 historical controls, which altogether correspond to 14,064,985 person-years of follow up, we show that beyond the first 30 days of infection, people with COVID-19 are at increased risk of an array of neurologic disorders spanning several disease categories including stroke (both ischemic and hemorrhagic), cognition and memory disorders, peripheral nervous system disorders, episodic disorders, extrapyramidal and movement disorders, mental health disorders, musculoskeletal disorders, sensory disorders and other disorders including Guillain–Barré syndrome, and encephalitis or encephalopathy. The risks and burdens were evident in subgroups based on age, race, sex, obesity, smoking, ADI, diabetes, chronic kidney disease, hyperlipidemia, hypertension or immune dysfunction. The risks were evident even in people who did not need hospitalization during the acute phase of the infection and increased according to the care setting of the acute phase of the disease from nonhospitalized to hospitalized to admitted to intensive care. The findings were consistent in comparisons involving the contemporary control group and the historical control group. The results were robust to challenge in sensitivity analyses; the application of negative-exposure and negative-outcome controls yielded results consistent with prior expectations. Altogether, our results show that the risks and burdens of neurologic disorders in the COVID-19 group at 12 months are substantial. The long-term consequences of SARS-CoV-2 infection should be taken into account in devising policies for managing the ongoing pandemic, and developing exit strategies for a postpandemic era. Health systems should consider these findings in capacity planning and in designing clinical care pathways to address the care needs of people who survive the acute phase of COVID-19.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-02001-z

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our analyses by age as a continuous variable reveal two key findings. (1) Regardless of age and across the age spectrum, people with COVID-19 had a higher risk of all the neurologic outcomes examined in this analysis. (2) Our interaction analyses suggest that the effect of COVID-19 on risk of memory and cognitive disorders, sensory disorders and other neurologic disorders (including Guillain–Barré syndrome and encephalitis or encephalopathy) is stronger in younger adults; the effects of these disorders on younger lives are profound and cannot be overstated; urgent attention is needed to better understand these long-term effects and the means to mitigate them. Equally troubling is the stronger effect of COVID-19 on mental health disorders, musculoskeletal disorders and episodic disorders in older adults, highlighting their vulnerability to these disorders following SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Nature this week, long term neurological outcomes are clocked

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-02001-z
    I bet you’re super fun at parties.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The famous US indifference to indigenous and mostly avoidable mass death, disability and suffering. Nothing new, true, COVID has slipped into the realm of the meekly tolerated.

COVID might have something yet to show us in that respect. It seems to evolve with a quickness toward immune escape.
    SARS-CoV-2 is endemic. Restrictions and shared sacrifice to limit spread made sense before everyone who wanted to could be vaccinated but now I don't see the point of acting like it's still 2020. It's a sandwich being stuck with this virus until our species is extinct but those are the cards we were dealt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet you’re super fun at parties.
    you'd be surprised. you think I'm here to party?

Last edited by Winehole23; 09-25-2022 at 01:32 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SARS-CoV-2 is endemic. Restrictions and shared sacrifice to limit spread made sense before everyone who wanted to could be vaccinated but now I don't see the point of acting like it's still 2020. It's a sandwich being stuck with this virus until our species is extinct but those are the cards we were dealt.
    Disagree 100%.

We need better vaccines and treatments stat, until then NPIs will tend to attenuate transmission. Filtration and ventilation of indoor air should be a no-brainer, masking is low cost and effective. Along with the recent encouragement of handwashing, it simplified our flu problem. entire clades seem to have vanished, reportedly.

Where's our warp speed 2.0?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if we don't manage the pandemic, the pandemic will continue to manage us

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Disagree 100%.

We need better vaccines and treatments stat, until then NPIs will tend to attenuate transmission. Filtration and ventilation of indoor air should be a no-brainer, masking is low cost and effective. Along with the recent encouragement of handwashing, it simplified our flu problem. entire clades seem to have vanished, reportedly.

Where's our warp speed 2.0?
    Agree with better ventilation/filtration but cloth masking got us no where.

Are you that one guy I see at the gym still wearing a mask while running on the treadmill?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with better ventilation/filtration but cloth masking got us no where.

Are you that one guy I see at the gym still wearing a mask while running on the treadmill?
    I don't go to the gym, you're more likely to see me on a bike trail, unmasked.

Masking indoors, particularly in confined/crowded places, is still a great idea.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abg6296
    https://www.mpg.de/17916867/coronavi...isk-protection

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who has spent $10Ks or much more in public indoors to upgrade a/c to filter viruses?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't go to the gym
    duh.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Filtration and ventilation of indoor air should be a no-brainer, masking is low cost and effective.
    Are air filtration systems very effective against COVID spread? I can't mask in a restaurant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    been playing some soccer too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not only have we seen this movie before, we see it about three times a year. Cases rise in Europe, then here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a new variant detected

New coronavirus subvariant BA.2.75.2 tops concerns as officials gear up for potential winter wave

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ter-covid-wave

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Omicron seems to be evolving faster than natural and vaccine boosted immunity.

https://www.science.org/content/arti...trains-suggest

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Omicron seems to be evolving faster than natural and vaccine boosted immunity.

https://www.science.org/content/arti...trains-suggest
    weeks, science was astonished at how fast monkey pox was evolving

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A foreseeable downside of letting 'er rip. Cases in the context of unhindered transmission count. Looks like the acquired immunity-by-infection strategy is backfiring. No mitigation is creating the conditions for prolonging pandemic spread and the emergence of more dangerous disease.

The two subvariants of particular concern are known as BQ.1 and BQ.1.1, both off-shoots of the omicron variant BA.5 (but with several key changes.) Indeed, they seem able to evade many of the tools we have to defend against it, which could trigger a wave of hospitalizations, disabling victims with long COVID or death.

Also worrying are two other strains: one called BA.2.75.2, which seems to be spreading quickly in Singapore, India and regions of Europe; and XBB, which some research suggests is the most antibody-evasive strain tested, almost on the level of the SARS-CoV-1 virus (known then simply as "SARS") that caused an outbreak in 2003. This could make the new vaccines relatively useless (but still better than nothing.) Moreover, an outbreak caused by one of these highly drug- and antibody-resistant variants could be much worse due to many world governments performing far less testing and reduced public health surveillance compared to 2020 and 2021.
    "The degree of immune escape and evasion is amazing right now, crazy," Yunlong Richard Cao, an immunologist at Peking University in Beijing, told Nature this week. Cao co-authored a paper, which has yet to be peer-reviewed, that seems to show previous infections by BA.5 and antibody drugs, including Evusheld and Bebtelovimab, aren't enough to stop a BQ.1 infection.

"Such rapid and simultaneous emergence of multiple variants with enormous growth advantages is unprecedented," Cao and his colleagues warned in the study. "These results suggest that current herd immunity and BA.5 vaccine boosters may not provide sufficiently broad protection against infection."

Meanwhile, BA.2.75.2, an offshoot of the Centaurus omicron subvariant, also shows stark ability to evade antibodies. While it isn't a big deal in the West yet, it is seemingly spreading quickly in India. Some research from Sweden, which also isn't yet peer reviewed but is in line with Cao's research, described BA.2.75.2 as "the most neutralisation resistant variant evaluated to date."
    And then there's XBB, which Cao has described as "the most antibody-evasive strain tested." It combines two different omicron lineages (BJ.1 and BM.1.1.1) to make something so good at evading immunity (either from previous infections or vaccines) that it's close to SARS-CoV-1. It "could cause significant immune escape at a scale never seen before," Cao and his colleagues wrote.
    https://www.salon.com/2022/10/04/bq1...nts-resistant/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump and Kochlandia pioneered it, Joe Biden made it into the common sense of the US COVID strategy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whether life was cheaper under feudalism vs under capitalism is impossible to actually answer but it does feel like a data point that when plague struck the medieval world memento mori proliferated and today the vibe is more normals back, back to business, you and your mask
    because apparently this has to be said: what I'm talking about here, the salient axis of the comparison, is the question of whether life is valued, how human disposability is ratified, and how mass death is socially metabolized, not the stats on disease death tout court
    https://twitter.com/PatBlanchfield/s...58363742310401

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    EU hospitalizations trending up

As we’ve seen throughout the pandemic, some are hospitalized “with COVID19,” but it’s important to note that the Germany’s numbers are reported purely as “for COVID19.” In other words, not only are infections increasing, but so is severe disease.
    Interestingly, no new subvariant is driving this wave, as the majority of cases are still the “old” BA.5 subvariant. This means changing weather, waning immunity, and/or changing behaviors are the culprit.
    https://yourlocalepidemiologist.subs...st_id=76439027

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given the U.S. has mirrored European trends throughout the pandemic, a wave in the U.S. is likely coming.

Source: Pandem-ic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    COVID is weird. Remember delta. Some areas/countries didn't even get effected much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    COVID is weird. Remember delta. Some areas/countries didn't even get effected much.
    true.

epidemiology, immunity and virology are devilishly complex. hard to account for differences from place to place.

Thread Information