My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because there is a squatter in there named MF Biden.
    Brandon President
    Not Trump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So that means almost 800 million people do take the " ty flu vaccine" which saves lives, likely because it's indeed the best option not to die of the flu.

COVID also doesn't kill 98% of the people it infects... that's still 150 million plus people dead. Vaccines reduce that number substantially, which is why they're not going anywhere...
    Lot of word salads here that say nothing about too few people take the very inneficient flu vaccines to conclude anything fromn it

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reminds me of Pavlov and the rest when asked how Russia interfered the 2016 election
    They did Hater?
    I dont know what the you read but you are out of the loop.

Trump and Hillary being so close in the overall EC and popular made it clear to most people someone had to be president and Trump won the EC.
    Did anyone attack the capitol? Did anyone claim fake votes (oh yeah, Trump... the 1.5-2 million pop vote thing ) It would even more simple if he just gave up his tax returns that he will be forced to anyway. It would have gone away.
    Right?

Again, this is what shows you the US is a democracy. A TV personality and pathological liar appealed to a very large portion of the voting public; so he was and will always be a president/ex president. This kind of thing never happens in your dream country. 24 years of the same man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lot of word salads here that say nothing about too few people take the very inneficient flu vaccines to conclude anything fromn it
    wtf does the bolded misspelled mean?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol, this is trolling...
    For centuries, protection from polio was passed down through the generations. Mothers who had survived polio infection themselves passed on immunity to their babies in the womb and through breast milk.

There are two stages to the polio infection. In the first mild stage the infection stays in the digestive system and throat and doesn’t reach the central nervous system. Most babies with maternal immunity are able to fight off the disease at this stage with only mild flu-like symptoms. At the same time, exposure to the first stage gives them their own long-term immunity.

But the unforeseen consequence of better hygiene and sanitation at the end of the 1800s was that babies in clean surroundings stopped encountering the infection while they still had maternal immunity.

So they failed to develop their own long-term immunity and were not protected when they encountered the disease later in life. And exposure to polio in late childhood or as an adult, was more likely to develop to the second, more aggressive stage of the disease.
    https://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/obj...ntury-epidemic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it's actually a verifiable fact that the very successful flu vaccine saves lives year after year. Looks like you understood it fine

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reminds me of Pavlov and the shillary s when asked how Russia stole the 2016 election
    Show me the post where I said Russia stole the 2016 election.

Or fold again.

hater

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Stopping this virus was never a goal, AFAIK. Keeping it under control was and is, much like the flu is kept under control primarily through vaccination.

That said, stopping 'a' virus via vaccination is not unheard of either. Take Polio, a virus that still exists today, is a great example of how you 'stop' viruses via vaccination. That said, it clearly is a different ballgame when we're talking airborne.
    Well first, we have not been controlling influenza with 50% vaccination rates (in a good year) and vaccine efficacy at 50% (in a good year). Eventually we'll get ed by another influenza strain too.

More importantly to this topic, it's not the flu, it's a 5th endemic HCoV. It's not polio, it's a 5th endemic HCoV. It's not smallpox, it's a 5th endemic HCoV.

You're all so willing to compare apples to oranges or apples to bananas but none of you will compare Granny Smiths to Sweet Delicous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well first, we have not been controlling influenza with 50% vaccination rates (in a good year) and vaccine efficacy at 50% (in a good year). Eventually we'll get ed by another influenza strain too.

More importantly to this topic, it's not the flu, it's a 5th endemic HCoV. It's not polio, it's a 5th endemic HCoV. It's not smallpox, it's a 5th endemic HCoV.

You're all so willing to compare apples to oranges or apples to bananas but none of you will compare Granny Smiths to Sweet Delicous.
    So you think the flu vaccine is ineffective?
    Waste of money?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

ting yourself after jumping at the polio and flu comparisons.

I know you'll change the subject with me again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For centuries, protection from polio was passed down through the generations. Mothers who had survived polio infection themselves passed on immunity to their babies in the womb and through breast milk.

There are two stages to the polio infection. In the first mild stage the infection stays in the digestive system and throat and doesn’t reach the central nervous system. Most babies with maternal immunity are able to fight off the disease at this stage with only mild flu-like symptoms. At the same time, exposure to the first stage gives them their own long-term immunity.

But the unforeseen consequence of better hygiene and sanitation at the end of the 1800s was that babies in clean surroundings stopped encountering the infection while they still had maternal immunity.

So they failed to develop their own long-term immunity and were not protected when they encountered the disease later in life. And exposure to polio in late childhood or as an adult, was more likely to develop to the second, more aggressive stage of the disease.
    https://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/obj...ntury-epidemic
    This is exactly why I'm saying you're trolling.

Polio was already killing lots of people in the 1800s (and before then, it's been tracked all the way back to 1400BC, IIRC), and while back then it wasn't considered 'a big deal', mostly because neither was typhoid or cholera or the plethora of different diseases people used to die off, it was already maiming and killing a ton of people by modern standards.

Back then, a mother having to undergo polio infection might've been wise, because there was nothing else. We're not in the 1800s anymore.

It's true that advances in hygiene diminished the effect of the maternal protection and boosted the efficacy of the disease, culminating in the rise of the disease in the mid-1900s, but that doesn't mean the solution was to go risking mothers lives with a polio infection.

As a matter of fact, Polio is one of the greatest success stories of modern vaccination. It was literally stopped in the West due to a massive vaccination campaign.

BTW, my uncle (RIP) had Polio. He lived a good, long life despite losing mobility on his right leg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wtf does the bolded misspelled mean?
    Never mind the misspelled wtf words, his grammar is truly astounding (and not in a good way)!

That you ducks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as I can see, SnakeBoy is upset there's a shrinking chance the rest of us could get a serious case of COVID. I have no idea why else he could be lashing out so hard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We've been getting mutations and retooling influenza vaccines for literal decades. Off the top of my head, we had at least two major influenza pandemics based on mutations alone, and we also retooled the vaccines to effectively attack them.

Also, the only reason you can make the claim this is different when it comes to vaccines, is that you know for some reason we cannot engineer modified vaccines to tackle mutations.

That claim is not one anybody in the scientific field has made so far, including the companies that developed the vaccines. So, if that's the hill you want to die on, go ahead, but back it up.
    Last edited by ElNono; 12-07-2021 at 07:52 PM. Reason: typo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never mind the misspelled wtf words, his grammar is truly astounding (and not in a good way)!

That you ducks?
    I really wanted to know what he means by inefficient.
    I can see some ways it might be, but not sure what point he is trying to make.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it's actually a verifiable fact that the very successful flu vaccine saves lives year after year. Looks like you understood it fine
    almost noone in Africa, Asia or your land El Salvador take the "flu" vaccines. Im talking about less than 5%

Almost noone is dying of the flu in those countries.

word ensaladas

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    almost noone in Africa, Asia or your land El Salvador take the "flu" vaccines. Im talking about less than 5%

Almost noone is dying of the flu in those countries.

word ensaldas
    The effects of seasonal influenza epidemics in developing countries are not fully known, but research estimates indicate that 99% of deaths in children under 5 years of age with influenza related lower respiratory tract infections are found in developing countries.

https://www.afro.who.int/health-topics/influenza

Newly published national estimates describe for the first time the burden of influenza in South Africa; nearly 10,000 deaths and 40,000 hospitalizations are due to influenza each year.

https://www.cdc.gov/globalhealth/cou.../influenza.htm

just admit you don't give a about developing countries and you didn't even look before saying any of that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The effects of seasonal influenza epidemics in developing countries are not fully known, but research estimates indicate that 99% of deaths in children under 5 years of age with influenza related lower respiratory tract infections are found in developing countries.

Newly published national estimates describe for the first time the burden of influenza in South Africa; nearly 10,000 deaths and 40,000 hospitalizations are due to influenza each year.

just admit you don't give a about developing countries and you didn't even look before saying any of that
    2018-2019 380,000 hospitalized 28,000 deaths That's the US.

The year prior it was over 700K hospitalizations and 52K+ deaths.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeaut...accine_status/

last 30 seconds breaks it down by age group too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nm didn't realize it was a video, slow internet at the hotel.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

10k out of a country of 60 million IS ALMOST NOONE . Called ir

maths is dificil

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hater thinks South Africa is a continent as he does not realize that there are other countries in Africa that had influenza deaths !

Forget the math, he should follow the geography!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2018-2019 380,000 hospitalized 28,000 deaths That's the US.

The year prior it was over 700K hospitalizations and 52K+ deaths.
    10k dead is in South Africa alone, not even all of Africa.

So the notion that:

"almost noone in Africa, Asia or your land El Salvador take the "flu" vaccines. Im talking about less than 5%"

and

"Almost noone is dying of the flu in those countries."

it's completely wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10k out of a country of 60 million IS ALMOST NOONE . Called ir

maths is dificil
    Emoticons are not going to save you for the you typed.

Another one you got wrong: antenatal vaccination rate in South Africa alone is slightly under 16%, not 5%, and that's just vaccination rate on children.

https://bmchealthservres.biomedcentr...13-021-06962-8

making up is not dificial para nada...

Thread Information