Or to order anything from Amazon
    Or to protest at BLM rallies

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Not a raise. Contractor rate is higher thats the market price as they save on benefits. Again both parties have to agree. Noone is saying 100% peep can do this.
    I mean yeah contractor rates are higher if you're looking to hire a contractor... most companies aren't going to convert a W2 employee to a contractor at that kind of rate increase though.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    You can fix 90% of this problem by requiring vaccination proof before collecting federal benefits, tbh...
    Or welfare...
    Or for voting...
    El Nono: We should vaccinate quadrilaterals.

DMC: And squares too!

hater: And hot dogs!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean yeah contractor rates are higher if you're looking to hire a contractor... most companies aren't going to convert a W2 employee to a contractor at that kind of rate increase though.

Sure they would.

If the worker is skilled and a good worker. Sure they are. Do you know how hard it is to find good skilled workers and the work it takes to train them?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Sure they would.

If the worker is skilled and a good worker. Sure they are. Do you know how hard it is to find good skilled workers and the work it takes to train them?
    Do you understand how payroll and budgets work at companies of 100+ people?

You know what's not hard? Getting a vaccine.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    That's without even considering the optics to the rest of your employees if you reward a stubborn anti-vaxxer by coddling their selfishness and giving them a raise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Universal DNR for cardiac arrest"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    piority scoring for comorbidities and disabilities

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you understand how payroll and budgets work at companies of 100+ people?

You know what's not hard? Getting a vaccine.
    Sure

Ive worked at large companies. If you are skilled and.good they will.do a lot to keep you. Including you going 1099. Seen it a lot.

Look at job.postings now. A lot of them say "work from home" why? Because their surveys say a lot of ppl love that. They have no problem w that (especially for skilled positions) they.also.have no problem w 1099ing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Contractors.can buy and usually afford their.own as their rate is higher. So theyntechnically not lose it, just replace. But sure some ppl might not want to. Freedom
    Contractors may get higher rates in general. But those are contractors who often have more desirable skills than standard employees. In your scenario, you're talking about traditional employees who are so valuable that the company is going to give them the option to covert to contractor AND pay them more? Not to mention the headache of traditional employees understanding that they have to be accountable for their share of taxes. And the company potentially having two large groups of people doing the same job and having to pay them separately?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to mention I believe you can opt out and do weekly testing? LoL

Why would you weekly test if you work remotely?

the more I think about this "mandate" the more I see it as a political nothingburger

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's without even considering the optics to the rest of your employees if you reward a stubborn anti-vaxxer by coddling their selfishness and giving them a raise.
    Can you imagine being a Wal-Mart stock boy and demanding to management that they change you to a contract basis?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you imagine being a Wal-Mart stock boy and demanding to management that they change you to a contract basis?
    I said skilled. Thats not skilled. These ppeps will do weekly testing.

Or If those ppl really want to avoid vax the6 can uber eats while doing some technical training.

Problem solved

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Contractors may get higher rates in general. But those are contractors who often have more desirable skills than standard employees. In your scenario, you're talking about traditional employees who are so valuable that the company is going to give them the option to covert to contractor AND pay them more? Not to mention the headache of traditional employees understanding that they have to be accountable for their share of taxes. And the company potentially having two large groups of people doing the same job and having to pay them separately?
    SO much easier than just getting a free vaccine!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    u scared of covid and are vaccinated?

Holy
    You don't have to be 'scared' of anything to do the right thing. This is like having a tempest in a teapot over wearing a mask in public.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Anyway I can't imagine the Venn Diagram of "so skilled at their job that their employer will convert them to 1099 contractor at a higher pay rate if they ask" and "refuses to get vaccinated against COVID" has a lot of crossover.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or welfare...
    yup, that's one of the items that fall into federal benefits...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4-year-old girl dies from COVID-19 hours after developing symptoms -- now mom regrets being anti-vaxx

https://www.rawstory.com/kali-cook/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's true that conversion might not be worth it, but some companies will control headcount by subcontracting. This is actually very common, especially on tech.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, the reality too is that if you're a subcontractor working for a Fortune 500 company, you don't really have leverage.

If the company says it won't do business with unvaccinated people, it's actually very cheap for the company to drop a subcontractor off.

There's no labor law issues, there's no compensation required, so mandating this on contractors is very easy for a large company.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It's true that conversion might not be worth it, but some companies will control headcount by subcontracting. This is actually very common, especially on tech.
    Right. I can definitely see companies vying for a loophole like that, but my point is the individual probably doesn't have a great shot at this approach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a lot of companies will like the mandate. compliance will protect them from COVID liability.

Thread Information