Page 1589 of 1631 FirstFirst ... 58910891489153915791585158615871588158915901591159215931599 ... LastLast
Results 39,701 to 39,725 of 40770
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it only makes sense that population-level effects are not observed when people aren't masking up on a similar scale.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The missing workers who are never coming back

Now, research has started to emerge and key public figures like Powell are starting to talk about it explicitly.

• "Close to a half a million who would have been working ... died from COVID," Powell said while talking about the U.S. labor shortage.
    • Go deeper: In a footnote to a speech he gave on Nov. 30, Powell estimates that 400,000 working-age Americans died in excess of what was anticipated pre-pandemic.

State of play: Compared to pre-pandemic projections,

there are around 3.5 million people effectively missing from the American workforce,

as Powell explained in that speech at the Brookings Ins ution.

• This number includes older workers who left the labor force earlier than expected. "These excess retirements might now account for more than 2 million of the ... shortfall," he said.
    • The other 1.5 million comes from a decline in immigration and "a surge in deaths."
    • Overall, 1.09 million Americans lost their lives to COVID-19, according to Johns Hopkins data.

https://www.axios.com/2022/12/16/the...er-coming-back

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The correlation with hypertension is well-supported, pathways are hypothesized in this study.

Hypertension is considered one of the most critical risk factors for COVID-19. Evidence suggests that SARS-CoV-2 infection produces intense effects on the cardiovascular system by weakening the wall of large vessels via vasa-vasorum. In this commentary, we propose that SARS-CoV-2 invades carotid and aortic baroreceptors, leading to infection of the nucleus tractus solitari (NTS) and paraventricular hypothalamic nucleus (PVN), and such dysregulation of NTS and PVN following infection causes blood pressure alteration at the central level. We additionally explored the hypothesis that SARS-CoV-2 favors the internalization of membrane ACE2 receptors generating an imbalance of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system (RAAS), increasing the activity of angiotensin II (ANG-II), disintegrin, and metalloproteinase 17 domain (ADAM17/TACE), eventually modulating the integration of afferents reaching the NTS from baroreceptors and promoting increased blood pressure. These mechanisms are related to the increased sympathetic activity, which leads to transient or permanent hypertension associated with SARS-CoV-2 invasion, contributing to the high number of deaths by cardiovascular implications.
    https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/ful...31055231151926

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    links between viruses and cancer aren't unheard of, that's why HPV vaccines are recommended for girls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Cochrane Review on Masks is Damning
    https://vinayprasadmdmph.substack.co...sks-is-damning
    That's not what the study concludes. Why lie so blatantly about it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wino beat me to it

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Cochrane Review on Masks is Damning
    https://vinayprasadmdmph.substack.co...sks-is-damning
    This is about masking POLICY.
    NOT about the testing of how well masks work against infections by air borne viruses.

Again the absolute disingenuous nature of Trumpers can never be understated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is about masking POLICY.
    NOT about the testing of how well masks work against infections by air borne viruses.

Again the absolute disingenuous nature of Trumpers can never be understated.

"Here is the big summary finding. With 276,000 participants in RCTs or cluster RCTs, masking does nothing. No reduction in influenza like or Covid like illness and no reduction in confirmed flu or COVID."

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Here is the big summary finding. With 276,000 participants in RCTs or cluster RCTs, masking does nothing. No reduction in influenza like or Covid like illness and no reduction in confirmed flu or COVID."
    That is not science from this paper.
    Where did they get it from?

Link?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is not science from this paper.
    Where did they get it from?

Link?
    Darrin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not what the study concludes. Why lie so blatantly about it?
    Public humiliation kink? It's hardly the first time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Correlation with immune dysregulation, persistent inflammation and exhaustion of SARS2 specific T-cells keeps building. The subjects in this study were all unvaccinated.

Our findings demonstrate that individuals with LC exhibit systemic inflammation and immune dysregulation. This is evidenced by global differences in T cell subset distribution in ways that imply ongoing immune responses, as well as by sex-specific perturbations in cytolytic subsets. Individuals with LC harbored increased frequencies of CD4+ T cells poised to migrate to inflamed tissues, and exhausted SARS-CoV-2-specific CD8+ T cells. They also harbored significantly higher levels of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies, and in contrast to non-LC individuals, exhibited a mis-coordination between their SARS-CoV-2-specific T and B cell responses. Collectively, our data suggest that proper crosstalk between the humoral and cellular arms of adaptive immunity has broken down in LC, and that this, perhaps in the context of persistent virus, leads to the immune dysregulation, inflammation, and clinical symptoms associated with this debilitating condition.
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...02.09.527892v1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Persistent multi-organ impairment

Abstract

Objectives

To determine the prevalence of organ impairment in long COVID patients at 6 and 12 months after initial symptoms and to explore links to clinical presentation.

Design

Prospective cohort study.

Methods

In individuals recovered from acute COVID-19, we assessed symptoms, health status, and multi-organ tissue characterisation and function.

Setting

Two non-acute healthcare settings (Oxford and London). Physiological and biochemical investigations were performed at baseline on all individuals, and those with organ impairment were reassessed.

Main outcome measures

Primary outcome was prevalence of single- and multi-organ impairment at 6 and 12 months post COVID-19.

Results

A total of 536 individuals (mean age 45 years, 73% female, 89% white, 32% healthcare workers, 13% acute COVID-19 hospitalisation) completed baseline assessment (median: 6 months post COVID-19); 331 (62%) with organ impairment or incidental findings had follow-up, with reduced symptom burden from baseline (median number of symptoms 10 and 3, at 6 and 12 months, respectively). Extreme breathlessness (38% and 30%), cognitive dysfunction (48% and 38%) and poor health-related quality of life (EQ-5D-5L < 0.7; 57% and 45%) were common at 6 and 12 months, and associated with female gender, younger age and single-organ impairment. Single- and multi-organ impairment were present in 69% and 23% at baseline, persisting in 59% and 27% at follow-up, respectively.

Conclusions

Organ impairment persisted in 59% of 331 individuals followed up at 1 year post COVID-19, with implications for symptoms, quality of life and longer-term health, signalling the need for prevention and integrated care of long COVID.
    Trial Registration: ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04369807
    https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10....10768231154703

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Correlation isn't causation, wonder what might have reversed a population level trend other than rampant airborne transmission of a vascular disease.

The COVID-19 pandemic has had a detrimental impact on the healthcare system. Our study armed to assess the extent and the disparity in excess acute myocardial infarction (AMI)-associated mortality during the pandemic, through the recent Omicron outbreak. Using data from the CDC's National Vital Statistics System, we identified 1 522 669 AMI-associated deaths occurring between 4/1/2012 and 3/31/2022. Accounting for seasonality, we compared age-standardized mortality rate (ASMR) for AMI-associated deaths between prepandemic and pandemic periods, including observed versus predicted ASMR, and examined temporal trends by demographic groups and region. Before the pandemic, AMI-associated mortality rates decreased across all subgroups. These trends reversed during the pandemic, with significant rises seen for the youngest-aged females and males even through the most recent period of the Omicron surge (10/2021–3/2022). The SAPC in the youngest and middle-age group in AMI-associated mortality increased by 5.3% (95% confidence interval [CI]: 1.6%–9.1%) and 3.4% (95% CI: 0.1%–6.8%), respectively. The excess death, defined as the difference between the observed and the predicted mortality rates, was most pronounced for the youngest (25–44 years) aged decedents, ranging from 23% to 34% for the youngest compared to 13%–18% for the oldest age groups. The trend of mortality suggests that age and sex disparities have persisted even through the recent Omicron surge, with excess AMI-associated mortality being most pronounced in younger-aged adults.
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jmv.28187

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cedars-Sinai has gone (((woke))).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Promoting awareness through scientific research of an ongoing pandemic is super woke. It should be illegal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cedars-Sinai has gone (((woke))).
    Promoting awareness through scientific research of an ongoing pandemic is super woke. It should be illegal.

3AM meltdown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clowning on y'all's smooth brained baby talk isn't a meltdown, and 3am isn't all that late for folks who work nights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clowning on y'all's smooth brained baby talk isn't a meltdown, and 3am isn't all that late for folks who work nights.
    Y'all?

You've been talking to yourself on this topic for quite a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y'all?

not really, a number of others posters have posted recently, but even if they hadn't, so what? it's a bulletin board. everyone's free to post on any topic, that's how it works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is COVID over ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's fashionable to say so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    COVID-19 was the underlying cause of death for more than 940,000 people in the US, including over 1,300 deaths among children and young people aged 0–19 years. Until now, it had been unclear how the burden of deaths from COVID-19 compared with other leading causes of deaths in this age group. The researchers investigated this using data from US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention databases for the period 1 August 2021 to 31 July 2022.
    • Among children and young people aged 0 – 19 years in the US, COVID-19 ranked eighth among all causes of death; fifth among all disease-related causes of death; and first in deaths caused by infectious or respiratory diseases.

• By age group, COVID-19 ranked seventh (infants), seventh (1–4 year olds), sixth (5–9 year olds), sixth (10–14 year olds), and fifth (15–19 year olds).

• COVID-19 was the underlying cause for 2% of deaths in children and young people (800 out of 43,000), with an overall death rate of 1.0 per 100,000 of the population aged 0–19. The leading cause of death (perinatal conditions) had an overall death rate of 12.7 per 100,000; COVID-19 ranked ahead of influenza and pneumonia, which together had a death rate of 0.6 per 100,000.

• Like many diseases, COVID-19 death rates followed a U-shaped pattern across this age-range. COVID-19 death rates were highest in infants aged less than one year (4.3 per 100,000), second highest in those aged 15–19 years (1.8 per 100,000), and lowest in children aged 5 –9 years (0.4 per 100,000).

• Overall, deaths in children and young people were higher during the Delta and Omicron waves compared to previous waves (pre-July 2021), likely reflecting the higher numbers infected during these periods. Nevertheless, in the pre-Delta period of the pandemic, COVID-19 still ranked as the ninth leading cause of death overall.

• The month with the highest number of COVID-19 related deaths in 0 - 19 year-olds was January 2022 at 160.
    https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2023-01-31...oung-people-us

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y'all?

Darrin. You once again did not read what you posted and made to look like a fool. You have as much credibility as the hater account you just advocate for GOP talking points instead of Russian talking points. Same level of critical thinking.

Thread Information