My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    The science doesn't speak with a single voice on this.

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118
    "Models suggest that public mask wearing is most effective at reducing spread of the virus when compliance is high (39). We recommend that mask use requirements are implemented by governments, or, when governments do not, by organizations that provide public-facing services. Such mandates must be accompanied by measures to ensure access to masks, possibly including distribution and rationing mechanisms so that they do not become discriminatory. Given the value of the source control principle, especially for presymptomatic people, it is not sufficient for only employees to wear masks; customers must wear masks as well."

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    everybody to wear masks until Delta dies down after culling evangelicals, Qanons, TSAs, kickers, dirt scratchers, bubbas, yahoos, Macho Men, Trash fellators, etc

the pulmonary viral load of Delta is 1000x that of the original, airborne transmission

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's still more or less simple-minded to post a handful of links and tweets and call it "the science."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    even the non-peer-reviewed article TSA posted used hedging language like "our evidence suggests/does not suggest."

but for TSA, that single, non-peer-reviewed study -- despite the existence of numerous conflicting studies -- is "the science," and should be the basis of US COVID policy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    everybody to wear masks until Delta dies down after culling evangelicals, Qanons, TSAs, kickers, dirt scratchers, bubbas, yahoos, Macho Men, Trash fellators, etc

the pulmonary viral load of Delta is 1000x that of the original, airborne transmission

No one is stopping you

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    long COVID can result from mild infections

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Conroe TX ISD to allow students who test positive into classes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to be fair, the Biden Administration is leading the charge to reopen schools and recently told us to throw our masks away if we were vaccinated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to be fair, the Biden Administration is leading the charge to reopen schools and recently told us to throw our masks away if we were vaccinated.
    far cry from Cruz's claim and underlying implication

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    it's still more or less simple-minded to post a handful of links and tweets and call it "the science."
    I didn't call those tweets "the science". Those were direct rebuttals on mask compliance to the "science" you posted.

"Only one observational study has directly analyzed the impact of mask use in the community on COVID-19 transmission. The study looked at the reduction of secondary transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in Beijing households by face mask use (10). It found that face masks were 79% effective in preventing transmission, if they were used by all household members prior to symptoms occurring. The study did not look at the relative risk of different types of mask.

In a systematic review sponsored by the World Health Organization, Chu et al. (11) looked at physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection to prevent person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2. They found that “face mask use could result in a large reduction in risk of infection.” However, the review included only three studies of mask use outside health care settings, all of which were of SARS, not of SARS-CoV-2, one of which was incorrectly categorized (it occurred in a hospital, but during family and friend visits), and one of which found that none of the households wearing masks had any infections, but was too underpowered to draw any conclusions (12). The remaining study found the use of masks was strongly protective, with a risk reduction of 70% for those that always wore a mask when going out (13), but it did not look at the impact of masks on transmission from the wearer. It is not known to what degree analysis of other coronaviruses can be applied to SARS-CoV-2. None of the studies looked at the relative risks of different types of mask.

There has been one controlled trial of mask use for influenza control in the general community (14). The study looked at Australian households, was not done during a pandemic, and was done without any enforcement of compliance. It found that “in an adjusted analysis of compliant subjects, masks as a group had protective efficacy in excess of 80% against clinical influenza-like illness.” However, the authors noted that they “found compliance to be low, but compliance is affected by perception of risk. In a pandemic, we would expect compliance to improve.” In compliant users, masks were highly effective at reducing transmission.

Overall, evidence from RCTs and observational studies is informative, but not compelling on its own. Both the Australian influenza RCT and the Beijing households observational trial found around 80% efficacy among compliant subjects, and the one SARS household study of sufficient power found 70% efficacy for protecting the wearer. However, we do not know whether the results from influenza or SARS will correspond to results for SARS-CoV-2, and the single observational study of SARS-CoV-2 might not be replicated in other communities. None of the studies looked specifically at cloth masks."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    far cry from Cruz's claim and underlying implication
    I agree with that more or less.

Interest in COVID didn't dissipate instantly like Cruz and DMC predicted, but the Biden Administration's COVID policy has propaganda/politicized dimensions. The CDC telling vaccinated people to throw away their masks looks hasty and/or politically motivated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Austin declared stage 4 COVID restrictions today

“These alarming numbers place us officially in stage 4 on our risk-based chart, less than a week after moving to stage 3,” Walkes said. “We are asking Austinites and community members in Travis County to take action. This is a call to action.”

Under stage 4, health officials recommend vaccinated people wear masks:

• At private indoor and outdoor gatherings
    • While traveling
    • While dining and shopping

They recommend unvaccinated people:

• Avoid private indoor and outdoor gatherings
    • Travel only if it's essential (with masks)
    • Dine and shop only if it’s essential (with masks)

As of now, Travis County has a seven-day average of 148 new COVID-19 cases per day. It's a dramatic increase from the start of July, when that number was 34.
    That e has also been reflected in hospitalizations. About 35 people in the five-county region on average are being hospitalized with COVID per day. It was 8 per day at the start of the month.
    https://www.kut.org/covid-19/2021-07...e-4-guidelines

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Interest in COVID didn't dissipate instantly like Cruz and DMC predicted, but the Biden Administration's COVID policy has propaganda/politicized dimensions. The CDC telling vaccinated people to throw away their masks looks hasty and/or politically motivated.
    agreed. thought it was premature at the time given the actual vaccination rate

the most brazen part of that was the obvious that unvaxxed people were going to stop wearing masks, too, since everyone just goes by the honor code

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

CDC bad now

Did it ever cross your mind that after a year and a half of gathering data on mask use in countries with significantly higher mask compliance (90%+) and seeing no benefit that the CDC is realizing masks are pretty pointless?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CDC bad now

Did it ever cross your mind that after a year and a half of gathering data on mask use in countries with significantly higher mask compliance (90%+) and seeing no benefit that the CDC is realizing masks are pretty pointless?
    are you still on the HCQ hype train or have you moved off of that one? just curious

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    another ing slave state killing itself and visitors for 'freedumb'

hokey Branson mayor’s ‘reckless idiocy’ helped turn Missouri into a COVID-19 superspreader hotspot

Branson currently has a

COVID infection rate of 19.3 percent
    , and

the number of daily new cases there is 10 times the national average.

The local hospital's ICU unit is at 99 percent capacity, and experts say the current outbreak has not reached its peak.

But Mayor Larry Milton, who was elected in April, has continued to rail against masks and vaccines, and hosted a gathering of 27,000 for the Fourth of July.

"First, let me state clearly and for the record: I will not support another government mask mandate, nor will I support a vaccine mandate,"

"I didn't talk about freedom and liberty

during my campaign for Mayor simply as a way to get elected. "

https://www.rawstory.com/superspreader

Freedumb as suicide

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    are you still on the HCQ hype train or have you moved off of that one? just curious
    I'm not currently on any hype train. Vaccines are working well so that's good to see. I'm currently waiting to see which vaccine proves most effective over time before I decide on getting one. Full FDA approval of one would be convincing enough for me to get one and that doesn't seem far off. There is a chance I already had Covid back in Jan 2020. Had to go to the doctor after being really sick for days and needed fluids through an IV and was given Z-pak. Haven't had an antibody test yet so no clue if it was Covid or not. If it wasn't Covid then I've gone a great job avoiding it by just washing my hands, not touching my face, and avoiding indoor crowds of people I don't know. I wish I'd have just had it already to get the benefits of natural immunity but I've continued to be cautious with my wife pregnant with our second.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    agreed. thought it was premature at the time given the actual vaccination rate

the most brazen part of that was the obvious that unvaxxed people were going to stop wearing masks, too, since everyone just goes by the honor code
    You still on the mask hype train? Just curious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CDC bad now

I never was a CDC dittohead and I don't see things your way.

That doesn't necessarily make you right or me wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not currently on any hype train. Vaccines are working well so that's good to see. I'm currently waiting to see which vaccine proves most effective over time before I decide on getting one. Full FDA approval of one would be convincing enough for me to get one and that doesn't seem far off. There is a chance I already had Covid back in Jan 2020. Had to go to the doctor after being really sick for days and needed fluids through an IV and was given Z-pak. Haven't had an antibody test yet so no clue if it was Covid or not. If it wasn't Covid then I've gone a great job avoiding it by just washing my hands, not touching my face, and avoiding indoor crowds of people I don't know. I wish I'd have just had it already to get the benefits of natural immunity but I've continued to be cautious with my wife pregnant with our second.
    but do you think HCQ is an effective treatment/cure for COVID-19?

you were pushing that quite a bit before

yeah, i still think masks do what they're intended to do. they are good short term options until we reach herd immunity, which vaccines are getting us closer and closer to

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    but do you think HCQ is an effective treatment/cure for COVID-19?

you were pushing that quite a bit before
    Haven't looked into it for quite some time...no clue.

yeah, i still think masks do what they're intended to do. they are good short term options until we reach herd immunity, which vaccines are getting us closer and closer to
    How can you look at this data and believe masks are doing what they are intended to do?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

How do you interpret the data I just reposted on masks?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

How do you interpret the data I just reposted on masks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cost/benefit analysis.

Some modest evidence that they lower transmission.

What is the giant cost you are looking to avoid?

What is the harm?

Define and quantify.

Thread Information